03/08/17 02:06 AM
03/08/17 02:06 AM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
So, I think I may in the market for an SUV. Reason being is I have hip problems and after a workout or if I sit in my car for too long my hip starts to get irritated and can bother me. Regardless of working out, generally if I'm driving for more than an hour, my hip starts to get irritated. It really doesn't like it when my quad has less than a 90 degree angle relative to my torso or if my knee is above my hip crease. So, I was thinking having a vehicle where I am able to sit higher up and as I would normally would be better for me than sitting lower in a car.

My current daily driver is a 2011 Scion tC. It gets about 24-25 mpg in 75% of traffic driving with a 6-speed manual. I only drive about 12k miles a year. It has scrapes, dents, door dings, rock chips, etc. So, I don't really expect getting more than $6-7k for it off of CL. I'm also just tired of this vehicle, despite being mechanically reliable, and just want an upgrade of sorts.

A kind of vehicle I'm looking for is an SUV that would allow me to sit comfortably, not humongous in size that it's difficult to maneuver in parking in lots in SoCal (a Quad Cab '15 Ram 1500 was a little too big for me), have the capability of towing the Dart in the future, and may have the capability to camp or go off-roading in the future (not as important).

I've done the calculations and I can't afford a brand new vehicle. Between payments and the extra gas, it will screw up my budget and I won't be able to afford to make a very important purchase years down the line. That being said, my budget will probably be around $10k or less as I can still afford paying the extra $100/month in gas. I prefer Chrysler vehicles because that's what I know and love. Right now a low mileage (<100k) 10-ish year old Durango, Grand Cherokee, or Commander look like my best options. The Durango has the size and capability to tow the Dart with ease, the Grand Cherokee is a little nicer and has some off-road capability while still having room for people, and the Commander is small but seems to still be capable to tow the Dart and off-road quite well. Right now I'm leaning more toward the Commander.

I know the 4.7L engines can be hit or miss depending on how they were serviced and if there was documentation supporting that. That being said, I'd probably shoot for a 5.7L Hemi in any of these 3 options. I'm not really interested in a V6.

What are your thoughts on these 3 options? Is there another option you think I can look into that I haven't thought of before?

Re: Thoughts on Used SUV's Chrysler has had to Offer [Re: MuuMuu101] #2265515
03/08/17 12:25 PM
03/08/17 12:25 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Still looking for that magic do all vehicle, eh?

Of the 3 listed, the rebirth Durangos are pretty nice vehicles, but pretty big.
The Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 would be a pretty nice ride.
I haven't even seen many Commanderss in our area, and I think they were made near here.

On a 10 year old truck, I'd have to go for the Grand Cherokee, but of course, when you look at a 10 year old truck, the particular truck makes all the difference in the world.

If you have not driven the modern V6 motored vehicles, don't be so quick to write them off. they have enough power to make them geat commuter rides. Gene

Re: Thoughts on Used SUV's Chrysler has had to Offer [Re: poorboy] #2265846
03/08/17 10:26 PM
03/08/17 10:26 PM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
Originally Posted By poorboy
Still looking for that magic do all vehicle, eh?

Of the 3 listed, the rebirth Durangos are pretty nice vehicles, but pretty big.
The Grand Cherokee with the 5.7 would be a pretty nice ride.
I haven't even seen many Commanderss in our area, and I think they were made near here.

On a 10 year old truck, I'd have to go for the Grand Cherokee, but of course, when you look at a 10 year old truck, the particular truck makes all the difference in the world.

If you have not driven the modern V6 motored vehicles, don't be so quick to write them off. they have enough power to make them geat commuter rides. Gene

Yeah pretty much looking for the unicorn, but it probably won't happen. Part of me is telling to build my own but I really don't have the time, patience, or energy to do that. My mom's '01 Montero has a V6 that supposedly made 180 hp now. Probably much less now. But, that's barely fast enough IMO. I'd drive that but it has 250k+ miles on it and has a very soft suspension where if you have to do any drastic maneuvering, you're going to be riding the vehicle like a bull rider to ensure it doesn't flip over or hit a wall.

Re: Thoughts on Used SUV's Chrysler has had to Offer [Re: MuuMuu101] #2266063
03/09/17 08:10 AM
03/09/17 08:10 AM
Chicago Burbs
sthemi Offline
master
sthemi  Offline
master

Chicago Burbs
I have an 08 Gran Cherokee with Hemi. Great awesome vehicle, however I am tall and the seats are killing me.. especially the hips..
They are extra firm and with limited headroom cant get the seat height enough to keep my legs horizontal.
Doesn't like a lot of tongue wt., but will tow my trailer OK.
Thinking about a Commander which it a ton taller or maybe an Aspen, also taller and longer.
Really probably going to get a used Ram 1500 with no center console.

IMG_20141207_130703848.jpg
Re: Thoughts on Used SUV's Chrysler has had to Offer [Re: sthemi] #2266562
03/10/17 02:13 AM
03/10/17 02:13 AM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
Originally Posted By sthemi
I have an 08 Gran Cherokee with Hemi. Great awesome vehicle, however I am tall and the seats are killing me.. especially the hips..
They are extra firm and with limited headroom cant get the seat height enough to keep my legs horizontal.
Doesn't like a lot of tongue wt., but will tow my trailer OK.
Thinking about a Commander which it a ton taller or maybe an Aspen, also taller and longer.
Really probably going to get a used Ram 1500 with no center console.

See, height isn't my problem with regards to head room. I'm only 5'7". My problem with regards to height is because I'm shorter I'm closer to the steering wheel which is a problem because I have large quads and depending on how large the steering wheel is, sometimes they rub. My current problem with the Scion is that the seat bolster is a little too narrow for my hip width and so when I drive, my right cheek is actually sitting on top of the bolster instead of in the actual seat.

I liked the Ram 1500 Quad Cab Big Horn I drove in Michigan a lot. My only problem was the length. I had problems parking in simple parking lots and that doesn't really fly too well out here. But I agree, the GC looks like an awesome vehicle. Commanders are a little bit rarer, but seem to be the soccer mom mobile out here so stock ones are plausible.

Re: Thoughts on Used SUV's Chrysler has had to Offer [Re: MuuMuu101] #2266606
03/10/17 03:25 AM
03/10/17 03:25 AM
n.c.
G
geo. Offline
enthusiast
geo.  Offline
enthusiast
G

n.c.
sounds like you should take a long test drive in whatever you're considering.
We have an '08 Durango, 5.7 4x4, bought it new and it's been almost trouble-free.
The second row seats don't give the adult passengers much room for their feet,so if a larger person must ride there, make sure they're comfortable.I spent an hour in the second row of a Commander a few years ago in the middle seat and hated it! Felt like the seat covers were stretched over boards. If you only ever sit up front I think you'll be happy with the Durango.
And the Durango wheelbase is about the same as a Grand Caravan, so parking is no problem.
Gas mileage in town can be as low as 14, but usually around 16. Highway with a light foot you can get over 20mpg.

Re: Thoughts on Used SUV's Chrysler has had to Offer [Re: geo.] #2266609
03/10/17 03:39 AM
03/10/17 03:39 AM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
Originally Posted By geo.
sounds like you should take a long test drive in whatever you're considering.
We have an '08 Durango, 5.7 4x4, bought it new and it's been almost trouble-free.
The second row seats don't give the adult passengers much room for their feet,so if a larger person must ride there, make sure they're comfortable.I spent an hour in the second row of a Commander a few years ago in the middle seat and hated it! Felt like the seat covers were stretched over boards. If you only ever sit up front I think you'll be happy with the Durango.
And the Durango wheelbase is about the same as a Grand Caravan, so parking is no problem.
Gas mileage in town can be as low as 14, but usually around 16. Highway with a light foot you can get over 20mpg.

To be honest, I never use the rear seats in my Scion and they're pretty roomie given it's a 2-door coupe. I've had people sit back there very comfortably. But honestly, in the past 2 years, I have only had people sit in the back of my Scion maybe 2 or 3 times and that was to drive down to lunch at work. 90% of the time, I just fold the rear seats down just so I can hold more stuff in the trunk, which happens on occasion.

If I give up the towing thing, maybe a Jeep Wrangler or Unlimited wouldn't be too bad of an option?

Re: Thoughts on Used SUV's Chrysler has had to Offer [Re: MuuMuu101] #2266637
03/10/17 07:42 AM
03/10/17 07:42 AM
Chicago Burbs
sthemi Offline
master
sthemi  Offline
master

Chicago Burbs
If you give up towing, Jeep Liberty is the choice you will love.
Nice comfy seats and room, and a lot of them at affordable prices.

Re: Thoughts on Used SUV's Chrysler has had to Offer [Re: MuuMuu101] #2266718
03/10/17 12:46 PM
03/10/17 12:46 PM
Des Moines IA
S
Soopernaut Online content
master
Soopernaut  Online Content
master
S

Des Moines IA
Originally Posted By MuuMuu101
I liked the Ram 1500 Quad Cab Big Horn I drove in Michigan a lot. My only problem was the length. I had problems parking in simple parking lots and that doesn't really fly too well out here.

To be honest, I never use the rear seats in my Scion and they're pretty roomie given it's a 2-door coupe. I've had people sit back there very comfortably. But honestly, in the past 2 years, I have only had people sit in the back of my Scion maybe 2 or 3 times and that was to drive down to lunch at work. 90% of the time, I just fold the rear seats down just so I can hold more stuff in the trunk, which happens on occasion.

Regular cab Ram?

1970 Dodge d100/eventually going on a 77 D100 frame
Re: Thoughts on Used SUV's Chrysler has had to Offer [Re: Soopernaut] #2266926
03/10/17 06:10 PM
03/10/17 06:10 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Originally Posted By Soopernaut
I liked the Ram 1500 Quad Cab Big Horn I drove in Michigan a lot. My only problem was the length. I had problems parking in simple parking lots and that doesn't really fly too well out here.

Regular cab Ram?

And now we have gone full circle. Look up the thread "Do I really need a truck". For one reason or another, he has talked himself into and out of nearly everything Chrysler has built. Gene

Re: Thoughts on Used SUV's Chrysler has had to Offer [Re: poorboy] #2266946
03/10/17 06:55 PM
03/10/17 06:55 PM
Spahn Ranch
RMCHRGR Offline
top fuel
RMCHRGR  Offline
top fuel

Spahn Ranch
And now we have gone full circle. Look up the thread "Do I really need a truck". For one reason or another, he has talked himself into and out of nearly everything Chrysler has built. Gene

Hey I resemble that comment! panic

'71 Duster
'17 Ram 1500
Re: Thoughts on Used SUV's Chrysler has had to Offer [Re: RMCHRGR] #2267067
03/10/17 10:14 PM
03/10/17 10:14 PM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
Originally Posted By RMCHRGR

Hey I resemble that comment! panic

They're just all so good at everything but one thing. If they could just combine all vehicles together and make something that can tow a Dart, get 30 mpg, looks bad @$$, and is super comfortable that would be mine.

TheHomer.png
Re: Thoughts on Used SUV's Chrysler has had to Offer [Re: Soopernaut] #2267068
03/10/17 10:18 PM
03/10/17 10:18 PM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
Originally Posted By Soopernaut

Regular cab Ram?

I've thought about it. My only gripe about that is the lack of room inside the vehicle. Almost everyone I've asked opinions regarding a regular cab told me not to get one as it doesn't tow as well (although looking at Ram's website, most newer Rams have the towing capacity to tow the Dart) and lack of storage inside the cab (which I like the idea of, although a toneau cover or shell would probably make me feel a little more secure).

Re: Thoughts on Used SUV's Chrysler has had to Offer [Re: MuuMuu101] #2267185
03/11/17 02:01 AM
03/11/17 02:01 AM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Offline
I Win
stumpy  Offline
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
You can get a trifold hard cover for a regular bed regular cab truck for not a lot of money. Latch down the cover and lock the tailgate and everything in the bed is safe. Locking tail gate handles are cheap also. My 03 has some storage behind the seats even with them back all the way.

Re: Thoughts on Used SUV's Chrysler has had to Offer [Re: stumpy] #2267220
03/11/17 03:38 AM
03/11/17 03:38 AM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
Originally Posted By stumpy
You can get a trifold hard cover for a regular bed regular cab truck for not a lot of money. Latch down the cover and lock the tailgate and everything in the bed is safe. Locking tail gate handles are cheap also. My 03 has some storage behind the seats even with them back all the way.

That's good to know and probably won't be a bad option.

When did they go to the 8-speed transmissions? Just curious.

This looks like a good match to what I'd be looking for. It shouldn't be too hard to finance:

https://www.carmax.com/car/14185602

Re: Thoughts on Used SUV's Chrysler has had to Offer [Re: MuuMuu101] #2267309
03/11/17 11:55 AM
03/11/17 11:55 AM
N.E. Ohio
K
KillerBee Offline
master
KillerBee  Offline
master
K

N.E. Ohio
Chrysler Aspen.
Last Chrysler SUV built on a full frame.
With the Hemi it's rated to tow 8900lbs. which is more than the newer Hemi powered Durangos.
Nice size, good interior room, comfy ride, nice options.
Depending on miles, options and condition prices are very affordable. twocents

My Hemi powered 2008 Aspen limited has been an excellent SUV.
Mine is AWD which is a must in my area but on the west coast maybe a 2WD would work.

Last edited by KillerBee; 03/11/17 11:58 AM.
Re: Thoughts on Used SUV's Chrysler has had to Offer [Re: MuuMuu101] #2267750
03/11/17 11:43 PM
03/11/17 11:43 PM
Cruising!
Q
QuickDodge Offline
super stock
QuickDodge  Offline
super stock
Q

Cruising!
It may not be a problem on the left coast, but some years of the Durangos are a bit rust prone.

The OP would probably be well advised to log some seat time in a vehicle prior to purchasing it. For whatever reason, it seems like nearly all of the newer cars and trucks have very little padding in the seats. Some of the seats are miserably uncomfortable!

When my wife and I were shopping for a vehicle last year, it was difficult to find seats that we could both sit on comfortably. The only comfortable seats were in vehicles that originally had sticker prices over $40,000. Probably only 25% of the vehicles over $40,000 had seats we both found comfortable. I sat in dozens and dozens of vehicles looking for an affordable, economical vehicle with comfortable seats. Unfortunately, such a vehicle could NOT be found! We bought a large SUV. It's comfortable, but loves gasoline and was expensive to purchase.

Re: Thoughts on Used SUV's Chrysler has had to Offer [Re: QuickDodge] #2267752
03/11/17 11:45 PM
03/11/17 11:45 PM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
Originally Posted By QuickDodge
It may not be a problem on the left coast, but some years of the Durangos are a bit rust prone.

The OP would probably be well advised to log some seat time in a vehicle prior to purchasing it. For whatever reason, it seems like nearly all of the newer cars and trucks have very little padding in the seats. Some of the seats are miserably uncomfortable!

When my wife and I were shopping for a vehicle last year, it was difficult to find seats that we could both sit on comfortably. The only comfortable seats were in vehicles that originally had sticker prices over $40,000. Probably only 25% of the vehicles over $40,000 had seats we both found comfortable. I sat in dozens and dozens of vehicles looking for an affordable, economical vehicle with comfortable seats. Unfortunately, such a vehicle could NOT be found! We bought a large SUV. It's comfortable, but loves gasoline and was expensive to purchase.

I think the newest car I've seen rust on is something that's at least 30 years old.

Again, the only thing this size I've really driven was the Ram 1500 which I liked a lot.

Re: Thoughts on Used SUV's Chrysler has had to Offer [Re: MuuMuu101] #2267767
03/12/17 12:11 AM
03/12/17 12:11 AM
Cruising!
Q
QuickDodge Offline
super stock
QuickDodge  Offline
super stock
Q

Cruising!
If rust is not an issue, a Durango with a Hemi may be a decent choice. Around here, I've seen Durangos sell for VERY reasonable prices!!

I liked the Durango we saw on the car lot. My wife did not like it.

Good luck finding what you want. I've gone through some similar mental gymnastics. Unfortunately, the vehicles which serve multiple purposes well are quite expensive to buy and run. (Large SUV's and crew cab pick-up trucks are probably the most versatile vehicles.) On the other hand, having two vehicles, such as an older truck and an economical car often saves very little money. (Count the cost of extra insurance, two vehicles depreciating instead of one, extra maintenance, additional repairs, extra taxes, additional fees, etc.) The math will vary because each person's situation is different.

Last edited by QuickDodge; 03/12/17 12:16 AM.
Re: Thoughts on Used SUV's Chrysler has had to Offer [Re: MuuMuu101] #2267811
03/12/17 01:16 AM
03/12/17 01:16 AM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Offline
I Win
stumpy  Offline
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
Problem with that truck is finding a bed cover to fit for a reasonable price. The Cargo box is an entirely different critter. Carmax is proud of what they have. Look around and you can save a bunch of money.

Re: Thoughts on Used SUV's Chrysler has had to Offer [Re: stumpy] #2267828
03/12/17 01:48 AM
03/12/17 01:48 AM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
Originally Posted By stumpy
Problem with that truck is finding a bed cover to fit for a reasonable price. The Cargo box is an entirely different critter. Carmax is proud of what they have. Look around and you can save a bunch of money.

Just using that as an example. But if I were to get a truck, that truck has most of the options I want (4x4, Regular cab, not black, not cloth interior, etc.)

Re: Thoughts on Used SUV's Chrysler has had to Offer [Re: MuuMuu101] #2268985
03/13/17 11:00 PM
03/13/17 11:00 PM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
Any V8 Durango or GC should fit your needs. Including towing an open trailer. The Durango will tow better with its longer WB but the GC is OK. I've run a GC and all generations of Durango. I am not crazy about the Commander... though I have never run one. Maybe it is because I saw an amazing number of Commanders in the ditch driving through a heavy snow storm through Iowa (in a Durango). Maybe because of the looks.

Anyhow, all Durangos (and Aspens) are nice but each version got better. The 5.9 gen I was good but fuel mileage so so. The gen II Hemi was better in all respects. The gen III Durango was better and the 8 speed Hemi is better yet. If you get a gen I or II Durango with the 9 1/4" axle, watch the seal. Try to catch a leak early before big problem. Don't ask me how I know... .

For the 4.7... its a nice match for the GC in performance and also has the sensitivities you mentioned.

Page 1 of 2 1 2