pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Quote:

and another

? Your attachement doesnt work.

ya guess their too big, i'll reduce them and post them later. their within the right size, no idea why they won't work, i'll re-do them later tonite.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22611
04/16/06 06:12 PM
04/16/06 06:12 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

and another

? Your attachement doesnt work.

ya guess their too big, i'll reduce them and post them later. their within the right size, no idea why they won't work, i'll re-do them later tonite.

What are they? *hopes its a test piece with Rust-oelum clear coat on to show its perfection* i wonder

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22612
04/16/06 08:21 PM
04/16/06 08:21 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
ok here are the pics, i just waxed the car, first time since painting it last sept. not too bad for 3 days work, still shines just like when i painted it. granted i could have really pulled off a better job if only i took more time, but i was extreemly eager to drive my dream car, i could not wait to get it on the road, i was litterally doing the pee-pee dance the whole time, picturing myself driving it!!!enjoy.

http://phorce1.us/bug74/charger/DSC03362.JPG
http://phorce1.us/bug74/charger/DSC03363.JPG
http://phorce1.us/bug74/charger/DSC03375.JPG
http://phorce1.us/bug74/charger/DSC03384.JPG
http://phorce1.us/bug74/charger/DSC03390.JPG
http://phorce1.us/bug74/charger/DSC03403.JPG
http://phorce1.us/bug74/charger/DSC03405.JPG
http://phorce1.us/bug74/charger/DSC03406.JPG
http://phorce1.us/bug74/charger/DSC03407.JPG
http://phorce1.us/bug74/charger/DSC03410.JPG

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: KingMopar] #22613
04/16/06 09:23 PM
04/16/06 09:23 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

alright... so ive read through some of this thread, and would like to go about painting my car. Can someone just give me the steps on what to do. All the steps are pretty much muffled in different pages. So if someone could put them together in one post, that would be great!

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22614
04/16/06 09:28 PM
04/16/06 09:28 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

alright... so ive read through some of this thread, and would like to go about painting my car. Can someone just give me the steps on what to do. All the steps are pretty much muffled in different pages. So if someone could put them together in one post, that would be great!

this might help:

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...0432b6d5fe08df8

but i highly getting some beer, and coffee, and reading the whole post, you could start with coffee, then beer, or vs.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22615
04/16/06 09:34 PM
04/16/06 09:34 PM
venice, ca
A
admactanium Offline
admactanium  Offline
A

venice, ca
charger, your car's looking good but i guarantee you you could get more shine out of that paintjob with some more wetsanding and a good buffer.

Last edited by admactanium; 04/16/06 09:34 PM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: admactanium] #22616
04/16/06 09:48 PM
04/16/06 09:48 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

charger, your car's looking good but i guarantee you you could get more shine out of that paintjob with some more wetsanding and a good buffer.

there's no doubt in my mind that i could pull off pro-quality paint, but there's one problem > i'm driving the car too much!!!! keep in mind i drive the car alot and hard, to the cottage, practially every day, so paint to me is'nt a huge concern, plus i don't have the time to buff between my many hobbies and wife/baby, i just want to enjoy the car. i'm happy with it the way it is, and in a few years the paint will be redone, going sideways on a dirt road at 60MPH does'nt treat any paint really good !!!! i've learned to accept minor flaws and imperfect paint, i used to be a total perfectionst, but my charger has some flaws, sure it's not as shiny as a ferarri enzo, sure the chrome is'nt perfect, but i like it, and i enjoy driving the car alot, if i went all out painting it myself, i'd be too paranoid to drive the car as much as i do now. since i've had the car, basically on the road from oct 2005 until now i've put on about 15000MI+!!!!! that's usually over 14500MI more then the average mopar garage queen sees in a year, and i've only been driving mine for 7 months and there was a winter there somewhere, but it was sooo mild i drove it all winter when the roads were dry, in Toronto, Canada!!!! and by the way, at 120MPH, it's just a orange blur, shiny paint or not!!!!

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22617
04/16/06 10:21 PM
04/16/06 10:21 PM
Kansas
D
dalbers Offline
dalbers  Offline
D

Kansas
looks really good to me. I feel the same way, if i'm going to fix up my old truck, I want to be able to drive it and use it and not have to worry about the thousands of dollars I spent to make it look good.
I'm almost done with my test hood. Only one more coat to put on tomorrow, wetsand it with 1500 and then polish. I'll probably post pictures later this week. Then I'll start getting the truck ready for paint. This is the BEST thread I have ever come across. Just want to say thanks to 69charger for making a lot of people's dreams of driving a nice looking vehicle and being proud of doing it themselves.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: dalbers] #22618
04/16/06 10:54 PM
04/16/06 10:54 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

i have some brush on paint stripper, you think it would be easier so use some stripper and take off the old paint, than to sand it?

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: dalbers] #22619
04/16/06 11:09 PM
04/16/06 11:09 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

looks really good to me. I feel the same way, if i'm going to fix up my old truck, I want to be able to drive it and use it and not have to worry about the thousands of dollars I spent to make it look good.
I'm almost done with my test hood. Only one more coat to put on tomorrow, wetsand it with 1500 and then polish. I'll probably post pictures later this week. Then I'll start getting the truck ready for paint. This is the BEST thread I have ever come across. Just want to say thanks to 69charger for making a lot of people's dreams of driving a nice looking vehicle and being proud of doing it themselves.

no problem, hope i helped someone out. the feel good about doing it yourself is the best part. sharing it with others is even better, from the interest in this thread, it's obvious there's a need to stop the high costs of painting, lets all come together, together we can beat this!!!!

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22620
04/16/06 11:12 PM
04/16/06 11:12 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

i have some brush on paint stripper, you think it would be easier so use some stripper and take off the old paint, than to sand it?

from my expirence absoultly a big NO on that, messy, stinks, removes skin, ect... you'll actually create more body work for yourself.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22621
04/16/06 11:45 PM
04/16/06 11:45 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Ok, I couldn't hold out any longer and I dove into painting my car finally. First I did second coat on my test spoiler though. I didn't need to add any more mineral spirits to my paint. The consistancy seemed the same since I mixed it and the bubbles on my stirs stick would pop by themselves or when I'd blow on them. So I did my first coat and it looks how I imagined it would. I didn't realize that painting a white car white would be tough. It was hard to see what was painted but i got the hang of it. I waited about 7 hours and I tested the paint. Tried to scratch it and it was really hard. I figured that would be my ok to paint another coat. Second coat went on as good as the 1st. Really easy process. All my bubbles popped almost instantly. No dripping or anything either (a few exceptions). So as soon as a finish my second coat.. guess what happens... it starts to rain! gah.. luckly it was more of a drizzly and only lasted a minute or two. The paint was dry enough on the parts that I started with (the hood, fenders, etc) that I could do a very like blotting with a microfiber towel to absorb the water drops. Well, after I finished getting all those damn water drops off the car it rained again. This went on for about a hour or 2. The paint doesn't really seem affected at all. I will inspect it tomorrow and take pictures. My second coat is starting to cover some of the primer but I am thinking maybe 4 coats will cover everything completely. I am thinking to do more than 6 coats. Are there any advantages to doing more than 6?

I ordered 150$+ worth of Zaino products today.. for my wife's car of course...which she doesn't really have one yet... so I guess I get to use it for now.. yay ^_^ Going to test the turtle wax stuff and other brands that were mentioned on the boards too:)

-Serpent

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22622
04/16/06 11:48 PM
04/16/06 11:48 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hi Charger, my mom had a charger when I was little. I remember when they came and stole me and threw me in the back seat.. *sigh*.. those were the good days (it is actually a cool story haha).. anyway it was done up like the General Lee and had the ram thing on the front and had a lot of switches inside of it just under the dashboard if I remmeber correctly. Seats were leather I think.. The car was in good condition. about 12years ago my dad blew the engine though and it sat until they sold it for like 2k. I have pictures some where.. that orange on your charger is very nice.. looks like the gernal lee

-Serpent

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22623
04/17/06 02:38 AM
04/17/06 02:38 AM
venice, ca
A
admactanium Offline
admactanium  Offline
A

venice, ca
okay, i've been doing a bit of thinking after starting the numberplate areas on my track plastics. i think i'm going to change the procedure for my own personal needs to take advantage of my strengths and downplay my weaknesses.

given equal prep work, i believe i can end up with a final product that is the same by rolling on the paint at full-strength rather than thinned. my thinking is this: it seems the main reason to thin the paint so much is to have it lay down flat and avoid orange-peel. the downside to that is figuring out the correct mixture ratio and the fact that it takes many coats to get a decent thickness. that's a time penalty. plus, i'm just really impatient and i want to put on more coats before the previous ones have finished drying. also, the bubbles are not popping for me. so that's a hassle. i end up going over the same spots over and over to pop the bubbles and screwing up the coat before it's fully dry.

personally, i'd rather put the coats on full strength and get good thickness, not worrying about the orange peel. i'd rather spend my time wetsanding and polishing than putting on many thin coats and waiting for good coverage/thickness.

so tomorrow i'm going to lightly sand the 2/3 coats i have on the numberplate areas and then put on some paint full-strength. that'll give me faster visible results and i'll worry about the orangepeel later when i have the whole thing done.

i also considered spraying, but the same problems of time/space/messiness still apply for spraying rustoleum as they do for 2k paints. the isocyanate are obviously removed, but the rest of the inconvenience still stands and this affords me an opportunity to paint the bike at my own pace (evenings and mornings) rather than tying up a whole part of my too-full garage to spray.

i'm not recommending everyone do the same, as i have way too much stuff for polishing personally and i doubt everyone has as much equipment for that part of the job as i do. but it's just something to think about.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22624
04/17/06 08:03 AM
04/17/06 08:03 AM
PA
KGorney Offline
top fuel
KGorney  Offline
top fuel

PA
I am using odorless mineral spirits, on my third coat. I get zero bubbles when laying down a coat and it dries rock hard by the next day (that is when I get back to it to do another coat).
Just thought I'd throw that out there.

I hope to post pics later today.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: admactanium] #22625
04/17/06 09:42 AM
04/17/06 09:42 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Admac- using full strength coats, I'd be worried about the paint drying completely. One benefit to the thinned paint is that it dries faster all the way through. I have done a single coat of black rustoleum pro and mineral spirits, and after a day it was rock hard and unscratchable (as are the results of others here). But where I spilled black paint here and there at full strength, to this day I can slice it with my nail. I think when it goes on too thick, the top portion can dry before the paint underneath has had a chance to evaporate the solvents, and it stays soft indefinately since the top layer, which might be hard, is sitting on uncured soft paint underneath it..

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22626
04/17/06 12:33 PM
04/17/06 12:33 PM
venice, ca
A
admactanium Offline
admactanium  Offline
A

venice, ca
Quote:

Admac- using full strength coats, I'd be worried about the paint drying completely. One benefit to the thinned paint is that it dries faster all the way through. I have done a single coat of black rustoleum pro and mineral spirits, and after a day it was rock hard and unscratchable (as are the results of others here). But where I spilled black paint here and there at full strength, to this day I can slice it with my nail. I think when it goes on too thick, the top portion can dry before the paint underneath has had a chance to evaporate the solvents, and it stays soft indefinately since the top layer, which might be hard, is sitting on uncured soft paint underneath it..

interesting. you would think that it would be formulated to dry properly at the mixture it comes out of the can. i'll keep that in mind.

one more thing i am finding is that if you ARE having trouble with bubbles, the best way to get rid of them (and easier than trying to knock them down with the roller) is to use one of the foam brushes that you bought for nooks and crannies dipped in paint. just lightly go over the bubble areas and they're all gone, then the "brush marks" will flow out on their own over time.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: admactanium] #22627
04/17/06 02:07 PM
04/17/06 02:07 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

interesting. you would think that it would be formulated to dry properly at the mixture it comes out of the can. i'll keep that in mind.

one more thing i am finding is that if you ARE having trouble with bubbles, the best way to get rid of them (and easier than trying to knock them down with the roller) is to use one of the foam brushes that you bought for nooks and crannies dipped in paint. just lightly go over the bubble areas and they're all gone, then the "brush marks" will flow out on their own over time.

Are you sure your using 100% MINERAL SPIRIT, not odorless of Low-odor. I was using Low-odor when i was first doing my car gray, but now since i'm doing it white, i'm using 100% MINERAL SPIRIT and i'mgettin no bubbles, they pop on their own.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22628
04/17/06 02:12 PM
04/17/06 02:12 PM
venice, ca
A
admactanium Offline
admactanium  Offline
A

venice, ca
100% mineral spirits. i think there are a number of environmental factors that affect each of our results. humidity and heat differences alone could definitely cause differing results. plus, we don't know how much each of us are diluting the solution. i know we're using subjective measures like "watery" and such, but i'd bet there's a lot of variance in all of our techniques.

Last edited by admactanium; 04/17/06 02:13 PM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: admactanium] #22629
04/17/06 02:24 PM
04/17/06 02:24 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
I looked at JeffS's post again last night which makes me wonder if the sanding schedule should be revised. If I understood what he said, he did the regular 2 coats - 600, 2 coats -1000, 2 coats - 1500, but then he used 600, did one more coat then went to 1500 in order to get rid of some shiny circly things.

It seems like if you go back to 600 later on, why bother doing anything but 600 on the earlier coats? like 2 coats, 600, 2 coats, 600, 2 coats, 600, 1 coat, 1500.

Does that make sense? I suppose you could use 1000 instead of 600 each time as well then, then 1 final coat and go to 1500?

Also does anyone have a picture of those shiny circly things JeffS mentioned?

Page 57 of 85 1 2 55 56 57 58 59 84 85