04/07/06 11:54 AM
04/07/06 11:54 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Rustoleum guys - could it be that I'm not mixing the paint enough? Maybe the hardening agents are hanging out at the bottom of the can and I really need to mix it all up. I've never stirred it for more than about 30 seconds, till it looks even, but now I'm wondering since other people are not having the scratch problem. I know Baku said they mixed his up real good for a minute.

I'd like to give it a shot with this color, canvas white..

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22451
04/07/06 12:18 PM
04/07/06 12:18 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Rustoleum guys - could it be that I'm not mixing the paint enough? Maybe the hardening agents are hanging out at the bottom of the can and I really need to mix it all up. I've never stirred it for more than about 30 seconds, till it looks even, but now I'm wondering since other people are not having the scratch problem. I know Baku said they mixed his up real good for a minute.

I'd like to give it a shot with this color, canvas white..
[image]
http://www.antiquetractors.com/gphotos/a7231.jpg[/image]

Yea man, try it mix it alot. And do it on like a different metal surface. I didnt even sand down my my car all the way to metal and it stuck on to the front/rear bumper which still had a little bit of clear on from the original red paint. and it still sticks on like super glue. The paint that i have isnt professional because they said they cant tint professional rust-oleum only the standard stuff.

On other note: I'm almost done wetsanding the whole car with 800grit and will post pics cuz well there still are orange peels but not as much as there were in the first 2 coats, so i must b doing something right? lol i think LOl. But yea i'm gonna do the hood completely with all the coats and see how it turns out then do the rest of the car.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22452
04/07/06 01:18 PM
04/07/06 01:18 PM
Red Bluff, CA
W
WilliamHall Offline
super gas
WilliamHall  Offline
super gas
W

Red Bluff, CA
Exit I live in roughly the same area as you, and have posted before about problems with Rustoleum scratchability. I am betting it is a Cailifornia or Northern California thing. A hardner maybe your only solution.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22453
04/07/06 01:20 PM
04/07/06 01:20 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Exit - That's certainly a possibility, but I hate to say that I don't think that's it. I started my next project (ironically it's a mower, like your photo) and I used the comsumer STOPS RUST grade paint (Sunrise Red). I only gave the can a quick stir (15 seconds maybe) as the paint looked very uniform, before I poured it into a small container to mix the mineral spirits in. This was last Sunday. I checked again last night and I could not scratch the paint no matter how hard I tried, at least not with a fingernail. I'm sure I could with a screwdriver or something, but I could do that on my factory paintjob too! (no, I'm not willing to test that theory!)

It's been ridiculously dry weather here in S. FL for the past two months, but it won't be long before the humidity level starts to soar. It will be interesting to see if that has an effect as well.

I honestly wish I could offer a more educated opinion as to why your paint does not want to stick. The thought just occured to me; areyou using "odorless" or "low- odor" mineral spirits, or regular. Obviously there is a difference from regular Mineral Spirits. I'm not home right now, but I'm fairly certain I used just plain mineral spirits. It's a LONG shot, but...?

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: WilliamHall] #22454
04/07/06 01:22 PM
04/07/06 01:22 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Exit I live in roughly the same area as you, and have posted before about problems with Rustoleum scratchability. I am betting it is a Cailifornia or Northern California thing. A hardner maybe your only solution.

Either that or a road trip across the border (name the state of your choice)!

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22455
04/07/06 01:39 PM
04/07/06 01:39 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Exit - That's certainly a possibility, but I hate to say that I don't think that's it. I started my next project (ironically it's a mower, like your photo) and I used the comsumer STOPS RUST grade paint (Sunrise Red). I only gave the can a quick stir (15 seconds maybe) as the paint looked very uniform, before I poured it into a small container to mix the mineral spirits in. This was last Sunday. I checked again last night and I could not scratch the paint no matter how hard I tried, at least not with a fingernail. I'm sure I could with a screwdriver or something, but I could do that on my factory paintjob too! (no, I'm not willing to test that theory!)

It's been ridiculously dry weather here in S. FL for the past two months, but it won't be long before the humidity level starts to soar. It will be interesting to see if that has an effect as well.

I honestly wish I could offer a more educated opinion as to why your paint does not want to stick. The thought just occured to me; areyou using "odorless" or "low- odor" mineral spirits, or regular. Obviously there is a difference from regular Mineral Spirits. I'm not home right now, but I'm fairly certain I used just plain mineral spirits. It's a LONG shot, but...?

I think I am using odorless mineral spirits. Should I be using something with odor? At home depot and at walmart, I didn't see anything but odorless, but I can look harder if you think that could be an issue (I'm hoping..).

William - could be you're right. If nothing but odorless spirits are available here, that could be a problem too. But I didn't know there was a difference between odorless, low odor, strong odor, etc.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22456
04/07/06 02:02 PM
04/07/06 02:02 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
I read online that low odor/odorless evaporates slower.

Baku, what type of mineral spirits were you using?

Just got off the phone with Rustoleum. He said he didn't think the mineral spirit type had anything to do with my scratchability. He also said in quarts, there is no VOC limit so the rustoleum product here is the exact same as the rustoleum product elsewhere in the US. He advised me that perhaps I was putting the paint on too thick, and that the surface was drying but under the surface, it was not dry and the solvents never escaped and so it could be scratchable for eternity.

I really wasn't putting it on that thick, but perhaps I didn't wait long enough between coats, or long enough after wetsanding. I'll try to find some regular mineral spirits (or at least not odorless) and give it another go, very slowly..

Last edited by Exit1965; 04/07/06 02:27 PM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22457
04/07/06 02:43 PM
04/07/06 02:43 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hey Exit
I am using odorless mineral spirits from Ace. I seriously tried to scratch my car again, and nothing.
Maybe is the color. As far I can remember everybody is using dark colors. You are the only one using a light color.
I bought professional almond paint for my bug. I am going to start to paint tomorrow. I will let you know what happens.

By the way, anybody knows how to get rid of masking tape from the car. The tape have been there a couple of weeks on the trim and now I can not take it out. I have tried alcohol and hot water also (the paint is fine) but does not work.

Last edited by Superchango; 04/07/06 02:52 PM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? #22458
04/07/06 03:01 PM
04/07/06 03:01 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Hey Exit
I am using odorless mineral spirits from Ace. I seriously tried to scratch my car again, and nothing.
Maybe is the color. As far I can remember everybody is using dark colors. You are the only one using a light color.
I bought professional almond paint for my bug. I am going to start to paint tomorrow. I will let you know what happens.

By the way, anybody knows how to get rid of masking tape from the car. The tape have been there a couple of weeks on the trim and now I can not take it out. I have tried alcohol and hot water also (the paint is fine) but does not work.

Maybe try WD40 or mineral spirits to take the tape off?

As far as the type of mineral spirits.. I think my scratch problem has to do with the coats underneath not drying enough before I put coats over them. So I gotta try it keeping it real thin and give it "24 hours" (according to the rustoleum guy) to dry, and not using odorless spirits would make it dry even quicker.

I have tried that small batch of red paint, with penetrol (no mineral spirits in there) and I can scratch that as well - but I did apply it fairly thick as you can see on that one picture, that was the only coat.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22459
04/07/06 03:55 PM
04/07/06 03:55 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
taking off masking tape residue, wd40, gooe gone, mineralspirits, all work good, a good linty rag helps too.

EXIT1965 - i'm begining to think that your an android, and have finger nails that are made of high-strenght metal composite made of unobtainium that is not from this plannet!!! i don't know what to say about your problem, definetly don't use the low-odur spirits, use the cheap stuff that stinks the worst. the time after you paint does'nt matter, if it wetsands good then it's fine to re-coat. but i know if i tried up to a month after painting i'm sure with enough force i could scratch the paint but not totally strip it for sure. maybe you should have never tried to scratch it off, i'd bet you'd be happy, and maybe after 4-6 months you would'nt be able to scratch it at all. i dunno, i'm sticking with my android theory lol

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22460
04/07/06 04:21 PM
04/07/06 04:21 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I wonder how long it will take before the customer service get a tab in the manual about "auto painting".

I am soooo itching to get on this. I hate having to wait for the paint and wait for the garage to become available.

I agree that "linting" the masking tape before putting it on the car helps. Maybe if the above doesnt help, use a blow dryer. I have had some bad experiences with goo gone and its bretherin. It takes stickers off yes, but leaves the sticky residue and that can take several wipes to get it out. If you go this route, use a rag, not something like a paper towel otherwise you will get pieces of the towel ALL OVER.

Speaking of heat, anyone know how well the paint holds up on the hood or in the engine bay? I wonder if it can get too hot and cause things to happen to the paint.

Last edited by Sideglide; 04/07/06 04:22 PM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? #22461
04/07/06 04:28 PM
04/07/06 04:28 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Speaking of heat, anyone know how well the paint holds up on the hood or in the engine bay? I wonder if it can get too hot and cause things to happen to the paint.

if you know anything about Air cooled VW Beetles, you'll know that those engines run really damm hot, the exhaust is right under the rear apron in the back, 6yrs, no issues with the paint/heat on my 74 beetle. on my dads 71 dark blue beetle in the pics, the single stage is holding up to the heat, but you can see it's a bit dried out. the heat in old beetle in the back and under the engine lid is insane, you could run a set of headders on a mopar 1" from the paint with no issues, heck i'd even bet it would live on headders. i have yet to see a vw beetle painted with BC/CC survive on the back of a VW, almost allways cracks after a few months. heat is not a issue, you will never see the heat in a mopar engine compartment as you would in a old VW, they run oil temps of about 220-240*deg F, and the engine compartment ambient temps reach well over what you would see in a mopar, don't forget they are air cooled, there's no rad, just a oil cooler.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22462
04/07/06 06:38 PM
04/07/06 06:38 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I wonder what had happen with those guys that got the idea from here, started painting their cars, posted a couple of pictures and then... GONE!
I am talking about the light blue bug in England, or the other one that used grey color and Penetrol. Did they succeed, and are very happy driving with brand new paint?, Or something went wrong. At least they should post how everything turned out and show a couple of photos.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22463
04/07/06 06:39 PM
04/07/06 06:39 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I read online that low odor/odorless evaporates slower.

Baku, what type of mineral spirits were you using?

Just got off the phone with Rustoleum. He said he didn't think the mineral spirit type had anything to do with my scratchability. He also said in quarts, there is no VOC limit so the rustoleum product here is the exact same as the rustoleum product elsewhere in the US. He advised me that perhaps I was putting the paint on too thick, and that the surface was drying but under the surface, it was not dry and the solvents never escaped and so it could be scratchable for eternity.

I really wasn't putting it on that thick, but perhaps I didn't wait long enough between coats, or long enough after wetsanding. I'll try to find some regular mineral spirits (or at least not odorless) and give it another go, very slowly..

HOly cow! I have been using LOW-ODOR MINERAL SPIRIT AS-WELL!.....mayb thats why i'm getting soo many BUBBLES...

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22464
04/07/06 06:58 PM
04/07/06 06:58 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Well Baku if your stuff is unscratchable with low odor, then full-odor stuff should be bulletproof. I'm going to pick some up tonight.

I read more than once online that odorless takes longer to dry, and to use it when you want to be able to work with a paint longer. I'm hoping that using odorless, combined with humidity and cool temperautes, meant my layers weren't drying well enough between applications and thats why they were scratchable for me.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22465
04/07/06 07:03 PM
04/07/06 07:03 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Well Baku if your stuff is unscratchable with low odor, then full-odor stuff should be bulletproof. I'm going to pick some up tonight.

I read more than once online that odorless takes longer to dry, and to use it when you want to be able to work with a paint longer. I'm hoping that using odorless, combined with humidity and cool temperautes, meant my layers weren't drying well enough between applications and thats why they were scratchable for me.

We've SOLVED THE MYSTERY HOLMES, WE"VE DONE IT!

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22466
04/07/06 07:06 PM
04/07/06 07:06 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hey Exit
You could try with acetone, when I used it I had the problem that dry to fast and there was no time to work the paint properly.
I had this problem, but I was painting outside under the Florida sun at 85F degrees. Maybe could works indoors and with low temperatures.
Also is the thinner recommended for the rustoleum professional.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22467
04/07/06 07:22 PM
04/07/06 07:22 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Here are my results.

BEFORE

AFTER

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22468
04/07/06 07:26 PM
04/07/06 07:26 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Thats with Rustoleum Proffessional with mineral spirits. Hard as a rock, before the 6 hour period, i can only imagine how strong itll be after a few weeks.

Tried with full pressure on my nail and no scratch, so i guess thats a good thing. or i jus thave weak nails. haha.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22469
04/07/06 07:31 PM
04/07/06 07:31 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Thats with Rustoleum Proffessional with mineral spirits. Hard as a rock, before the 6 hour period, i can only imagine how strong itll be after a few weeks.

Tried with full pressure on my nail and no scratch, so i guess thats a good thing. or i jus thave weak nails. haha.

Looks good. That is the gloss white? Also did you use regular mineral spirits or low odor/odorless?

Page 49 of 85 1 2 47 48 49 50 51 84 85