04/04/06 11:06 PM
04/04/06 11:06 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

i'm testing with black tremclad on a computer case, and I could still see parts of the case after the third coat dried. I believe your coats are going on pretty thick. Or maybe i'm just overdiluting.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22431
04/04/06 11:18 PM
04/04/06 11:18 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hey bakuryu
I have almost finished with my car. I had the same problems with the old color showing up. What I did, in between coats, it was to go with the roller and paint those spots one more time. It worked.
When I start painting I got a lot of orange peel. What helped me to improve my painting technique was to avoid to paint when the metal is hot and follow the method described for this guy who paint old cars with a brush in England.
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk/brush.html
It is kinda cheesy but it really worked. I hope this help

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22432
04/04/06 11:51 PM
04/04/06 11:51 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I found time to spray another coat today... it didn't go on quite as smooth as i would have liked, but its getting there

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22433
04/05/06 12:47 AM
04/05/06 12:47 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Hey bakuryu
I have almost finished with my car. I had the same problems with the old color showing up. What I did, in between coats, it was to go with the roller and paint those spots one more time. It worked.
When I start painting I got a lot of orange peel. What helped me to improve my painting technique was to avoid to paint when the metal is hot and follow the method described for this guy who paint old cars with a brush in England.
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk/brush.html
It is kinda cheesy but it really worked. I hope this help

What exactly in that article ? That speaking of brushes. My car has been sitting in the garage for the past 1 week lol and i just go there with my other car and paint and then leave. yea looks like i'm gonna have to go over those spots like twice or something.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22434
04/05/06 01:16 AM
04/05/06 01:16 AM
Kansas
D
dalbers Offline
dalbers  Offline
D

Kansas
do you have to get all the scratches from the sandpaper out before you start to paint, or will the paint eventually cover them up? I ask this because I wasn't happy with what I had done, so I decided to start over. I think I used a too aggressive sandpaper and left scratches that I didn't notice (probably because I was in a hurry to get started again). Anyway, I got the consistency of the paint down now, but there are scratches that I can see through the first two coats. Do I need to take it back down and get all the scratches out? I'm guessing yes, but hoping no. Thanks

Last edited by dalbers; 04/05/06 02:11 AM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: dalbers] #22435
04/05/06 02:30 AM
04/05/06 02:30 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

do you have to get all the scratches from the sandpaper out before you start to paint, or will the paint eventually cover them up? I ask this because I wasn't happy with what I had done, so I decided to start over. I think I used a too aggressive sandpaper and left scratches that I didn't notice (probably because I was in a hurry to get started again). Anyway, I got the consistency of the paint down now, but there are scratches that I can see through the first two coats. Do I need to take it back down and get all the scratches out? I'm guessing yes, but hoping no. Thanks

After wetsanding?? Or when you first sanded the body down? If during wetsand, what grit did u use?

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: dalbers] #22436
04/05/06 11:03 AM
04/05/06 11:03 AM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

fine hair line scratches will be gone about the 3rd coat, just try to get it smooth when laying the paint. wetsand only enough to have a smooth surface before going to the next coat, but the paint does "fill" in the small really tiny scratches very well.

bakuryu - STEP AWAY FROM THE PAINTGUN, GO DOWN TO YOUR KNEES AND KEEP YOUR HANDS OUT OF YOUR POCKETS, PUT YOUR HANDS BEHIND YOUR HEAD!!!!
lol, your big mistake here, which i've said about a million times is that your not doing a test area until you get the "hang" of it. so in essence you've created more work for yourself, plus with no previous expirence your definetly going to have a HUGE mess if you decide to spray. the color you chose is a really dark color, might i suggest you get some bright red??? haha, it's up to you, you could sand down the whole car until it's completely smooth, then ONLY DO THE HOOD until your satisified you've got the hang of it. i think you've painted at both extreems, first way too thick, then you went to the other extreeme and thinned it way too much, try in between, when sanding do the edges last, keeping light pressure, stay away from the body lines until the end, and then be carefull not to sand too much. i really think your getting fustrated because you're doing the whole car at once as a expirement, and seeing that you've made a few mistakes along the way which is the natural learning curve, but you've created alot more work for yourself. honestly if it were me, i would choose a brighter color, white is the best for hiding flaws, i'd sand the whole car down, choose a lighter color, expirement on the hood, then do the whole car, mix your ratio's in between your first coats and your final coats, avoid the temptation to lay the paint on too thick. good luck hang in there, don't give up, after your done with a nice job you'll be happy and will have learned from your mistakes.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22437
04/05/06 12:05 PM
04/05/06 12:05 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

RIck- when i got the tint the guy mixed it in a shaker for like 5 minutes, should i like stir it for an hour or something? also, how thin is thin? I mean i got it thined down to like water!! literally i drip the roller in and when i take it out it all drips out, i think this color is soo dark that it just goes on dark but i'm probably wrong. Should i continue to sand it down? the third coat was the best coat in my opinion. How do you guys get the coats on with NO bubbles? i mean very small bubles but i have to blow and then go over them again. I havent sprayed a car before but i have sprayed a fence and its the same method no? Gotta spray a car to begin somewhere right, what better test subject? hahaha than

Okay, stop. Breathe, son. Deep breath in, slowly out... relax... Ohhhmmmmm.
You're getting there, but I just get the impression you're going a mile a minute. I know you're eager for results, but by rushing this you're only making yourself more work.

I read 69Chargers comments and I couldn't agree more. Painting a car is NOT like painting a fence, unless you want your car to look like a fence! Totally different materials, totally different surfaces, totally different paints. I also agree that you should concentrate your efforts onto ONE section of the car (hood, door, whatever), go through the ENTIRE process, until you learn what you need in order to get a successful result. As 69 mentioned, you did happen to pick probably the hardest of colors to start with (other than gloss Black). Dark colors show EVERYTHING, starting off with White might have been a better choice. BUT... it's still not too late.

If you feel the paint is so thin that it's running wild on you, then don't mix it down so thin. 69Charger may have hit the nail on the head, try a mix half way between your first coat (too thick - definitely) and your last coat(too thin? - maybe). As for mixing the paint (stirring), I stir the paint for at LEAST a good 15 minutes (slooooow, smooth, steady stirring)before I poor it in the tray, especially if it's sat overnight. Let's put it this way; OVER stirring will not hurt you (as long as you're not stirring so roughly as to cause bubbles), but UNDER stirring can hurt you (uneven mixture).

As for the bubbles - I have yet to be able to lay a coat without having to "blow" to get the bubbles out, but I've found that when I have the mixture right, it's really more of just a "puff" - not much effort at all is needed. If there are any little bubbles I missed, going back over them VERY GENTLY will get rid of them. But here is the key point, and I think this is where you are getting into trouble: When you're using the mineral spirits to dilute with, the time window you have to get the bubbles out is pretty narrow. I would say 7-10 minutes TOPS. That is why 69Charger has made the suggestion over and over to learn this technique on a single panel. I may be wrong here, but I think what might be happening with your painting is that because you have been trying to paint the entire car, you're taking too long to return to the painted areas before it's too late. If you wait too long to get the bubbles out, when the paint reaches that critical stage of drying, you end up making more bubbles, or worse yet pulling up the paint. that's why it's important to learn what you're doing on one panel. Learn how long you have to get all the bubbles out before the paint is too "tacky" to work with.

My last suggestion for the day, and I think you're not gonna like this - but I really think it's the best thing...

Go back to the very first page of this thread, and reread it. Not just scan over it, but really re-read EVERYTHING - like you were gonna get tested on it! There is an amazing amount of information in this thread alone, and most of the problems and questions you've been asking for help on have been covered several times. If you read the thread carefully, you'll pick up quite a few tips and tricks along the way.

Hang in there, and don't get frustrated - I think you're doing fine.

Last edited by Ricklandia; 04/05/06 12:40 PM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22438
04/05/06 12:36 PM
04/05/06 12:36 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Thanks charger and thanks rick-

I have read this thread with great precision every post lol but that was like 2-3 weeks ago, mayb i will re-read it.

I, gonna wetsand the whole car and then just paint the hood and see how it goes. I'll make a video too to show you guys how thin it is.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22439
04/06/06 04:14 PM
04/06/06 04:14 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

What's that color again on the buddha??

Well after a solid week of looking for the specific light machine grey locally, it seems that the only way to get it is to special order it.

Home depot was able to get it for me in a gallon only as the quarts are no longer available. Crappy thing is, I had to order it in a 2 gallon pack, ugh! So $60 later, I will have it in my posession next week. I guess if I wanna paint everything inside and out, I will have the paint to do it. I was gonna use the online site posted above but after shipping the price would have just been less than $20 diff. between one and 2 gallons.

BTW, just for fun, when ordering this stuff, use the product number and add "402" to signify a gallon.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22440
04/06/06 05:06 PM
04/06/06 05:06 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

What's that color again on the buddha??

Well after a solid week of looking for the specific light machine grey locally, it seems that the only way to get it is to special order it.

Home depot was able to get it for me in a gallon only as the quarts are no longer available. Crappy thing is, I had to order it in a 2 gallon pack, ugh! So $60 later, I will have it in my posession next week. I guess if I wanna paint everything inside and out, I will have the paint to do it. I was gonna use the online site posted above but after shipping the price would have just been less than $20 diff. between one and 2 gallons.

BTW, just for fun, when ordering this stuff, use the product number and add "402" to signify a gallon.

Glad you were able to get it, and so much of it! Please post some pics once you get started.. I am still keeping some hope alive that it could work and not be so scratchable. All the testing I've done has been while the weather is cool and often damp, and I wonder how it would cure in the Sacramento heat.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22441
04/06/06 06:38 PM
04/06/06 06:38 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

It's not too warm here right now but I am gonna try to give each coat atleast 12 hours in between coats.

The hardest part is that I wanna do a 2-tone paint job so I will have to lay down one color, wait to dry, then the other color.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22442
04/06/06 07:30 PM
04/06/06 07:30 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hey guys, i was in wallmart the other day and saw a WHOOOOOLE section of rust-oleum and immediatly got glued to that aisle as my parents were going through the yard/food section lol. They only had the 1quart cans but they had a PLETHERA of rattle-can stuff. A few of them in general were THE METALLIC ONES! I know, i tested it on one of the metal shelves, when no one was looking ^^ hehe, and it looked AMAAAAZING! the color was the dark orange/brown mettalic one of those from the new iNFINITY Q35's. It was riddiculous. THey also had some clear spray and i sprayed that on top after it dried which was rahter quick! and man o man it looked sooooooooo good. Now, i'm very very very tempted to just rattle can the whole car with the mettalic spray can! I'll buy one and try it on a piece as i've learned my lesson from jumping ahead ahahhaha.

EDIT: this stuff http://www.rust-oleum.com/Product.asp?frm_product_id=22&SBL=1&dds=16 and the color was the first one, "Antique Brass Metallic"

PS: Exit- i did my first two sloppy coats on my Budda Civic at night time when the temperature was about 40C in a garage where it was colder, and it became rock sollid in the morning.

Last edited by bakuryu; 04/06/06 07:38 PM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? #22443
04/07/06 12:51 AM
04/07/06 12:51 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
baku - if you push your thumbnail onto it then drag your thumbnail sideways (like slicing), does it not do anything?

I was just out in my garage earlier scratching all of the various test areas I've done, red, almond, standard, professional, using my fingernail and slicing sideways. On my car, with hard paint, I am unable to slice sideways or any other way.

I checked out a "1 day paint and body" today in Sacramento. Its a bad sign when you walk in and the two people working there are sitting in the office reading the funny pages. The few cars that were there did not look very good, way too much orange peel. Maybe slathering it on thick is the only way they can keep that 5 year non-prorated guarantee of theirs. So far I've got a couple prices- $500 from Miracle to shoot it with BASF urethane SS and a sealer, or $1200 from a better body shop for PPG Deltron BC/CC, if I bring it in primered up and ready to go. And I'd have to do the color sanding, which I'm fine with since its just time consuming. If I spent $1200 though I'd have a paint job worth more than that. That's a paint job on a budget, isn't it? Choices choices..

Im willing to part with some more $ in testing this rustoleum stuff, just everything I've tried doesn't harden enough, and all the hardeners I read about are highly toxic and I dont really want to mess with that since it requires so much working with. I've already spent probably 70 dollars on this thing, which is 14% of a $500 SS paint job with shine, metallic and very hard surface.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22444
04/07/06 01:44 AM
04/07/06 01:44 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hey, I as many other before me, have been linked up to this thread, I've been reading it since there were about 7 pages or so, and figured I'd contribute to it.
I drive an 87 Honda CRX (ack! an import, I know, but it works, and is cheap on gas:p) My cars already a light gray/silver so I was deadset on getting a silver colour so the engine bay still looks fine. The tremclad aluminum stuff, which I had some extra of from another project is useless, as the pigment comes out when you touch it and you cannot topcoat it with any other products, as they use actual aluminum in it, which has strange properties (to warn anyone who was/is planning on using it).
I looked around and found another line of paints called Stop Rust (or something to that effect) made by beautytone for HomeHardware, this stuff is even cheaper then the Tremclad is too, and works just as well (talked to a paint guy who uses it on his cars). The Stop Rust comes in an aluminum colour that is topcoatable and durable, I let it dry overnight in about 2 degree conditions(Celcius, I'm Canadian eh), I recoated again the next night, the next morning I couldnt scratch it with my fingernail or my well worn car key (it doesnt have sharp edges). This stuff might be the jackpot, plus here its 26 bucks for a gallon, vs 36 for the tremclad
I've located a roll-on clearcoat as well, made for automotive use, so its uv resistant, clear (not yellowish), and most importantly very durable.
Its called Crystal Coat by Zero Rust and costs 32 dollars(canadian) a quart, (so the clearcoats costing me twice as much as the paint).
Once I'm done school for the year (the end of april) I'll be painting my entire car and get some pictures up. I figured some of the people on here might be attracted to the roll-on clearcoat, since its very difficult to find. This will eliminate alot of wetsanding as well, since you only take it down to 600 grit then clear it.
anyways that's all for now folks, thanks for all the useful info!

Last edited by stevo911; 04/07/06 01:50 AM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22445
04/07/06 02:18 AM
04/07/06 02:18 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

baku - if you push your thumbnail onto it then drag your thumbnail sideways (like slicing), does it not do anything?

I was just out in my garage earlier scratching all of the various test areas I've done, red, almond, standard, professional, using my fingernail and slicing sideways. On my car, with hard paint, I am unable to slice sideways or any other way.

I checked out a "1 day paint and body" today in Sacramento. Its a bad sign when you walk in and the two people working there are sitting in the office reading the funny pages. The few cars that were there did not look very good, way too much orange peel. Maybe slathering it on thick is the only way they can keep that 5 year non-prorated guarantee of theirs. So far I've got a couple prices- $500 from Miracle to shoot it with BASF urethane SS and a sealer, or $1200 from a better body shop for PPG Deltron BC/CC, if I bring it in primered up and ready to go. And I'd have to do the color sanding, which I'm fine with since its just time consuming. If I spent $1200 though I'd have a paint job worth more than that. That's a paint job on a budget, isn't it? Choices choices..

Im willing to part with some more $ in testing this rustoleum stuff, just everything I've tried doesn't harden enough, and all the hardeners I read about are highly toxic and I dont really want to mess with that since it requires so much working with. I've already spent probably 70 dollars on this thing, which is 14% of a $500 SS paint job with shine, metallic and very hard surface.

No matter what i do EXIT i cannot scratch this stuff. I will break a nail if i try, i've tryied it with a piece of hard stick as well and other ppl have tried it to. And its not just in 1 area, the WHOLE CAR, no where am i able to put a scratch. I've spent about 200$ soo far since i bought the car. Thats for SANDPAPER to get rid of the original budda civic car, brake pads and rotors, terry-cloth, goof-off, rust-oelum paint, more sandpaper, bondo. So yea, if i were to give my car to the body shop as it was when i bought it. They were charging me 2500+ to do all the body work and then do a single stage paint.

No way jose! My paint is finally starting to come along. I think lol, this wetsand i'm doing now, after the third coat, has A LOT LESS ORANGE PEELS, the first two coats i admit, i rushed and were too thick. But this third one is alot better and i only hope it gets better.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22446
04/07/06 02:55 AM
04/07/06 02:55 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

hey everyone, i decided to give this a shot. i picked up some sunburst yellow rustoleum today and everyhting else and did a test patch on my roof. it seems to be going pretty well so far. i put down the first two coats. i can still kind of see through it, and im not having any problems with the paint adhereing or anything. i think i'm doing everyhting right so far?!?! i havent wetsanded yet, ill try that out in the morning. this is great, i wish i had taken time to read this whole thread as it goes, instead of all of it in 2 nights. hahaha! thanks for the great info. you guys have gotten the method down well. i hope mine turns out well, ill post some pics later.
-taylor

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22447
04/07/06 07:15 AM
04/07/06 07:15 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Stevo911 - definitely interested in your clearcoat find. Let us know what you can about it; test results, photos, whatever!

I found this on the net:
http://www.zero-rust.com/crystal-coat.html
I take it this is the clear coat you are referring to? Haven't read the info yet, but will dig into it tonight.

Last edited by Ricklandia; 04/07/06 07:19 AM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? #22448
04/07/06 10:20 AM
04/07/06 10:20 AM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Tremclad sells clear coat, that's uv resistant, ect.....and works over the paint, tremclad sent me a case of the stuff because when they called me they asked about the clear coat, and i said i might consider using it, i told them i tried to use it but it was no better than the paint shine, they asked me if i used mineral spirits, and i said yes, and they said that's my problem, and told me i should use laquir thinner and it will be really shiny. they said the reflective properties of the clear coat is 90% at 60*deg angle (they reflect light at 60*deg and it reflects 90% of the light!!!), which is really really shiny. some clearcoats like the auto motive ones i don't think are a good idea to go over the paint we're using.

EXIT1965 - clearly there is something different with the paint you're using. it must be a cali thing, cause everyone else is reporting that there is no way to scratch the paint, including me. regarding the cheap-o paint jobs, i'd really stay away from the cheap-o BC/CC, they just use the cheapest materials possible to get the cost down, and there could be issues down the road with peeling, ect....just go for a quality single stage, trust me on this one. if you're going to let a body shop do it, then go single stage, unless your prepeared to pay $2000+, and that's if you prep the car. one other thing, if you prep and primer the car they will never fix any problems with the paint down the road, because they say you prepped the car and they're not responisble. i played that game once, be warned, usually they won't touch the car if you prepped it. another alternative is to just spray paint (single stage) in your garage, i sprayed the 71 beetle (midnight blue metalic) in my garage, and allthough the paint is very good in quality, and the job looks like a pro job, if you look really closely you'll see the dust, dirt and hair that is virtually impossible to avoid unless you have a booth, but if your carefull, meticliously clean, you can pull of a pro job in your garage like i have. i used duplicolor single stage process paints, really good material that's cheap. i'll never spray again, i wish i could get you some tremclad paint, i thought you'd be the first sucess story, i'm positive that you'd be happy with the tremclad stuff. maybe go to another state and get the paint of call the rustoleum people and ask them what's up with your paint, don't tell them your painting a car, just say it can be scratched off, and see what they say, if their as nice as the tremclad guys here, they'll send you more paint.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22449
04/07/06 10:25 AM
04/07/06 10:25 AM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
oh and here's the tremclad clear coat:

http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=548&SBL=5

i got a case of it from tremclad for free!!!! it only comes in quarts, not gall. i have 8 cans i think?? mine is in brush (liquid) form in a quart. looks really thin out of the can, about the mix after thinning the paint down with mineral spirits. good stuff, sepically now that i have the tip to thin with laquir thinner.!!!

Page 48 of 85 1 2 46 47 48 49 50 84 85