01/30/17 03:59 PM
01/30/17 03:59 PM
Finally a HUSKER again
Moparnut426 Offline OP
I Live Here
Moparnut426  Offline OP
I Live Here

Finally a HUSKER again
So for the last 5-6 years my 78 powerwagon has had a strange electrical glitch. If I have my headlights on, heater fan on, and hit the brakes or turn signals it would kill the radio, and Id loose radio until I turned one ting off. I had always thought it was a radio feed issue and never really worried about it, well it has gotten worse and sometimes I would loose all power and it wouldn't crank over, If I tapped the brakes it would fire up. I was thinking a ground or something. Well my shop was empty for a change and I thought I need fix ol greenie.

First off I checked all my grounds, all seemed ok, I did need to replace the battery cause it got froze this winter. So I noticed that it seemed like a nw truck after that. So I checked the charging system. Mind you THis is a work truck I onlynuse if needed. Well damn its only charging at 12.8ish NOT GOOD right.

SO I start tracing wires, alternator seems fine, as its got 15ish at the alternator. So I contacted a buddy who is a lil more involved with the trucks than me. He told me to check amp gauge. I did that, they are tight, but he said chec connections, so I did. They didn't look horrible but I cleaned them anyways. I then also found a shady looking repair at the 2 wires that come off the starter relay. Factory fuseable link was blown from years ago and My Dad had repaired it, but the repair was full of corrosion, I cut it all out, soldered and heat shrinked the connection, and then I checked it again.

WELL!!! Its charging at 14.2 no load, and 13.8-14 under full load. Truck runs better, radio is golden, lights are brighter, truck starts better, just all around better!!!

Now I actually want to drive it more! No issues of it dying on me now.

SO now Im looking for BIG BLOCK parts for Ol Greenie!!

Re: FINALLY FOUND IT!!! [Re: Moparnut426] #2244073
01/30/17 05:02 PM
01/30/17 05:02 PM
MD-USA
D
Dodgeguy101 Offline
mopar
Dodgeguy101  Offline
mopar
D

MD-USA
Always makes you feel good when you finally find the problem.

Good Job!!

Re: FINALLY FOUND IT!!! [Re: Moparnut426] #2244407
01/31/17 12:35 AM
01/31/17 12:35 AM
places
79powerwagon Offline
Too Many Posts
79powerwagon  Offline
Too Many Posts

places
Woo Hoo!

My old 79 PW had all kinds of gremlins when I first got it running (even though it only had 30,000 original miles on it, still wearing the factory Good Year Tracker AT's even!). As a matter of course, I installed new parts such as ignition, parts, voltage regulator, rebuilt the carb, etc.

During a particularly difficult running spree, I checked the voltage at idle and it was 17 volts! GADS! I was told (on here) to only use a real Mopar voltage regulator, not any aftermarket ones. Bought one, popped it in, a nice 13.7 at idle, and no more gremlins! Drove her another 100,000 miles until the frame rusted in half, but she kept right on running! smile