Print Thread
b1 bs head flow vs other alum std port wedge heads ???? #2242665
01/28/17 05:05 AM
01/28/17 05:05 AM
michigan , usa
evansbros Offline OP
evansbros  Offline OP

michigan , usa
i just bought a plymouth volare turn key race car with b1 bs heads . it's a 400 block , 500 cu in . alum rod , roller cam , m1 intake , 1050 dom carb , giant headers , 2-1/4"prim. and 4" collectors . we have snow flying here so no way to do any testing but the previous owner says the car ran 9.40's at 140 mph . it's a dana 60 w/4.56 gears , 727-8" conv , big tire car . tube chassis , a-arm , ladder bar coilover . all alum floors , lexan all around . f-body volare , that may be acid dipped even . i'm guessing a weight of 2600-2700 lbs ? body is all gutted steel but the hood is fiberglass (way too heavy street version , we make fiberglass , so that has to go !!! ) .

i will end up tearing this down and having the heads flowed eventually but just wondering how much can a b1 bs head be ported on ? how much flow is possible ?
i have built and raced many mopars over the years but have not played with any of the std port alum mopar bb heads . i have run many ported 906 and 915 heads in the past , as well as hemi stuff , and stage v conversion hemi heads .

in the past , i have built engines for others using iron wedge heads ported by ed vickroy in fontana calif. (this was pre - edelbrock days ) when i lived out there . the cost back then for fully ported 906 heads was around $1200.00 with new big valves , new guides , retainers and locks . ed's work was beautiful and i made some really happy customers with his port work . i still have the flow numbers (never ever throw away tech info on any engine parts ) from several heads he did . we never ran gigantic cams , most guys were under .650 lift .

one set of 906 heads 2.14 int. x 1.81 ex. ( not the highest flowing ones he did but they performed well ) were flowing right at 300 cfm at .650 lift . i had that pair on a all steel 63 plymouth sport fury . it was heavy , it still had the stock iron single master cyl, drum brakes , stock radiator , iron water pump even . the car had 2 batteries and an alt. , 10 point .134" cage , 2 full sized batteries . it also had a dana 60 with 4.56 gears and a full spool , and a 300 lb driver ! it did have 2 plastic buckets with no other seats . i'd guess it was 3700 lbs with driver ? not sure ?
we ran those 906 heads on that car with a 440 with the stock crank , .030 with trw 2295 piston , ly rods , and a used .500 lift (after lash ) lunati flat tappet solid cheater cam from a friend's A/SA max wedge nhra stock eliminator car . , 1.5 isky cast iron rockers , a box stock team g 4500 top intake , box stock (jetting only ) #7320 1150 dom carb . 09j coverter ( you could hold it on the line with the brakes on hard , it would stall at 4800 rpm ), plain old 727 trans with man valve body , , 11.5 x 29.5 W tires (13.5" tread ) it had 2" hooker slip fit headers , with some 3-1/2" diam 18" extensions , no mufflers . i only shifted that car 6200 rpm , and it went 6900 or so in the lights . it went 10.68 at 127 mph and a 1.45 60 ft . one of the items that shocked people was the orange mopar electronic ign box . the car had been running on the street previously and ran great , mid 12's with low comp. small cam , and i felt why change it all at once , we were planning to put an msd ign in it but started with the existing ign. this was all done in so calif. at sea level at terminal island in long beach , in 1995 or '96 . that track was as sticky as a national event prepped track , street racers poured vht on it every run , and the track crew used a ton of the vht every weekend .

according to the flow #'s , the flow bench formula said those heads should be capable of 615 horsepower at best .

for the fun part ??? what would that same car have run with properly done b1 bs heads ? i know the name cab burge , from other friends out west like darrell parks and rich harrell mentioning him running nhra class cars . cab would know about the cheater cam and how much power they make . sad that they dont live as long as the std pointed cams but i loved the power it made .
to this day some of the other big block mopar guys out west wont belive that '63 didn't have a a stroker crank and giant roller cam or nitrous hidden . most could not get out of the 11's with bn-bodies , their iron heads .
the owner of that '63 ply lost his job and sold it , i had health problems come up and soon after we moved back to michigan and my playing with mopars was limited .
i plan to do some testing with this big tired volare and see how well i can get it to run with the b1bs heads . i know modern cyl heads is here in mi. and muscle motors . who would some of you recommend for head work (ed vickroy recently has had some heart issues so i doubt he's able at the time to take on any work ) . i have not had the engine apart yet so they may already be ported on ?

sorry for the long long post but i am jazzed up to get to finally have some fun testing and tuning again .

volare 500 wide.jpg
Last edited by evansbros; 01/28/17 01:38 PM.

Just an old man in his late 50's now that grew up in the 60's and 70's around real muscle cars when they were still new and cutting edge . I was from Michigan but raised in SO. Calif. from a young age until I came back home to get away from the nightmare traffic and smog laws and way too expensive living cost . I am still addicted to mopars and mostly early station wagons , but still love most of the pre '73 mopars the most .
Re: b1 bs head flow vs other alum std port wedge heads ???? [Re: evansbros] #2242707
01/28/17 11:24 AM
01/28/17 11:24 AM
st.louis,mo.
dart games Offline
mopar
dart games  Offline
mopar

st.louis,mo.
love to have that volare

Re: b1 bs head flow vs other alum std port wedge heads ???? [Re: evansbros] #2242709
01/28/17 11:31 AM
01/28/17 11:31 AM
Val-haul-ass... eventually
B
BradH Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
BradH  Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
B

Val-haul-ass... eventually
I suggest that you copy this post to the Race Forum and then delete it from this one.

Re: b1 bs head flow vs other alum std port wedge heads ???? [Re: evansbros] #2242767
01/28/17 01:39 PM
01/28/17 01:39 PM
michigan , usa
evansbros Offline OP
evansbros  Offline OP

michigan , usa
i tried to delete it like you suggested but it says i cant ?

Just an old man in his late 50's now that grew up in the 60's and 70's around real muscle cars when they were still new and cutting edge . I was from Michigan but raised in SO. Calif. from a young age until I came back home to get away from the nightmare traffic and smog laws and way too expensive living cost . I am still addicted to mopars and mostly early station wagons , but still love most of the pre '73 mopars the most .
Re: b1 bs head flow vs other alum std port wedge heads ???? [Re: evansbros] #2242852
01/28/17 03:25 PM
01/28/17 03:25 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
I had Jeff (RIP) at Modern cylinder heads CNC port a set of B1-BS to max wedge size, I had a set of Indy SR that where M.W size intake ports when I bought them used. I had Jason at Pettis Perf. flow test both sets on their Super Flow 600 test bench and he got 350 CFM at 28.0 inches at .700 lift from the B1-BS and 340 CFM from the SR heads at the same testing specs.
Those B1-BS ported heads made 720 HP at 7000 RPM (and where not done yet, the owner didn't want to rev it past 7000 RPM shruggy) on a 470 C.I. 12.0 to 1 compression ratio 440 bracket motor with a set of Holley 750 CFM D.P. carbs. on a sheet metal intake.
Bigger flow is better on Mopar BB boogie grin

Last edited by Cab_Burge; 01/28/17 03:26 PM.

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)