04/03/06 10:01 PM
04/03/06 10:01 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hey, guys i'm back. bUddah civic. I was banned (deserved it) cuz i said some profanity. Rules are rules, i learned my lesson, admins are nice for unbanning me. Thanks again!

Quote:

I got it at home depot in the same place they have the acetone, mineral spirits and such.

A bunch of pages ago, I think someone mentioned using an enamel hardener. Has anyone tried enamel hardener with Rustoleum? I'm thinking the secret recipe could be rustoleum, penetrol to make it flow, and enamel hardener to improve scratch resistance. In my experience it just doesn't get hard enough on its own, even with months of drying.

Umm...exit..i dunno what your doing but mine was rock hard solid after 24hours i couldnt even pull it with all strength and i'm 6'2 - 185lbs ahha, not that it matters.

I have done three coats soo far and am wetsanding again with 800GRIT right now cuz i bought a WAGNER CONTROL SPRAY from homedepot and tested it on a test piece (my license plate area cuz it was still white from the original) iT goes on very smooth but i made it toooooo thin so it ran very fast. But my main problem is bubbles every can has bubbles even if I leave it in the refrigirater and let it come back to room temp on its own. I went back to homedepot to ask the guy if this stuff is professional rust-oleum or normal he said its normal, apparently they dont make tints of the professional kind.

On the third coat it took me over 4 hours cuz i was doing each panel, letting it dry for 1-2minutes then going over with the roller to flatten the bubbles and smoothing it out. RIght now i'm wetsanding and am still getting orange peels but not very very many. Can any of you guys guess what i'm doing wrong? The paint is definetly thin. I know its not the thickness problem.

I'm gonna spray the 4th coat after i finish wetsanding. I will upload pics of the progress soo far tommorow when its sunny and not thunderstorming >.>

Good info guys and good luck.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22411
04/03/06 10:02 PM
04/03/06 10:02 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

So getting back to the Aluminum 7715 paint, I have ditched it for the 7781 light machine gray. I wet sanded a 10" radius area on my door with 1500 and then polished with my new ryobi 6" polisher and the area polished very nicely but turned very dark. It was very glossy and smooth, but just turned a dark gray color. I tried polishing an unsanded area and same thing. Turns very dark. No good. hopefully the machine gray will work better. First impression the paint feels different when rolling, it smells different too. So now we know, stay away from aluminum 7781 for this process.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22412
04/03/06 11:20 PM
04/03/06 11:20 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Is there any way to get the metallic stuff in this paint? Don't know what it's called but the cars I see on the roads have like metallic particles in the paint that is noticeable when you look up close to the car. What do you need to do to get that metallic stuff in some tremclad?

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22413
04/03/06 11:34 PM
04/03/06 11:34 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

The 7715 aluminum dries very shiny and bright, just not glossy at all. its very flat, like exit said. Maybe if you roll (is that possible?) or spray some clear over, it would look good.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22414
04/04/06 01:06 AM
04/04/06 01:06 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Is there any way to get the metallic stuff in this paint? Don't know what it's called but the cars I see on the roads have like metallic particles in the paint that is noticeable when you look up close to the car. What do you need to do to get that metallic stuff in some tremclad?

those are metal flakes...you can take thema and mix them with your clear coat and spray it on...cant roller them on though.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22415
04/04/06 01:43 AM
04/04/06 01:43 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Rick - regarding those bubbles. I tried again tonight except using my old "Almond" standard rustoleum. Bubble city. I tried 3 times, wiping it off twice, with different ratio of penetrol:rustoleum and it didn't bubble but it ran really bad.

When I tried with that red and with aluminum, I got it to lay very nicely, but that was on a horizontal surface. On the vertical surface I tried just now, runs like crazy or too many bubbles.

I'm an experimenter at heart so I'll try something new if someone else comes up with a way to apply this stuff so I can't scratch it so easily. In the meantime my bodywork is almost done and I've already spent more than $50 testing this process. I just can't do with the scratchability.

I would love to get my nails on the test area of the guys who said it's rock hard I was at work today and there's some pipe painted with some industrial enamel, and I could scratch it (not scratch the paint off of it, but scratch it) with my nail. I don't think I have super nails or anything either. I've tried scratching my nissan with factory paint, and my dad's coronet with cheap single stage paint, and they are rock hard and unscratchable with my nail. If it's rock hard and nail-unscratchable within 24 hours, I can't buy that.. you need to try scratching harder.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22416
04/04/06 03:09 AM
04/04/06 03:09 AM
Kansas
D
dalbers Offline
dalbers  Offline
D

Kansas
when wetsanding, do you stay away from the edges so you don't take all the paint off?

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: dalbers] #22417
04/04/06 09:39 AM
04/04/06 09:39 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

when wetsanding, do you stay away from the edges so you don't take all the paint off?

What do you mean? are you using a block or doing it with fingers, like others suggested to me, use a block its better. If you mean when your sanding the corners or edges of the hood/door more paint seems to come off and well personally i had to do it cuz there were orange peels, just dont put alot of pressure do it lightly but longer.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22418
04/04/06 10:19 AM
04/04/06 10:19 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Wow, 22,000 views! I have to save this again.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22419
04/04/06 01:21 PM
04/04/06 01:21 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Yup! Found it at Lowes in that exact spot. I think home depot had it too but I expected to see it near the acetone so I missed it.

Exit, I thought you said that the professional wasn't scratchable? Is that not true?

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22420
04/04/06 01:48 PM
04/04/06 01:48 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Yup! Found it at Lowes in that exact spot. I think home depot had it too but I expected to see it near the acetone so I missed it.

Exit, I thought you said that the professional wasn't scratchable? Is that not true?

Theres 2 kinds of scratchable I found - the standard stuff I could scratch all the way to the surface, i.e. scratch the paint off. Maybe my surface prep wasn't good.

The pro. stuff scratches- meaning with my fingernail I can put big scratches all over it (the standard stuff does that too). I could probably scratch it off if I worked hard enough, but it is not easy to scratch all the way off the way the standard stuff was. It just never fully hardened any time I've tried it, with several different colors.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22421
04/04/06 02:23 PM
04/04/06 02:23 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Theres 2 kinds of scratchable I found - the standard stuff I could scratch all the way to the surface, i.e. scratch the paint off. Maybe my surface prep wasn't good.

The pro. stuff scratches- meaning with my fingernail I can put big scratches all over it (the standard stuff does that too). I could probably scratch it off if I worked hard enough, but it is not easy to scratch all the way off the way the standard stuff was. It just never fully hardened any time I've tried it, with several different colors.

For me, the only way to find out if the paint is completely dry is when i think its dry i take a lil bit of baby powder and drop some and try to whipe it with my hands slightly or blow and if it blows away and none of it sticks then its try then again i do leave it to try for more than 24hours, not that i want to, just i'm soo busy with school and work :S

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22422
04/04/06 03:13 PM
04/04/06 03:13 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

So I too bought the alum. color not knowing how it will turn out and I now want the machine grey. For those that have bought it, where did you find it? I only seem to find 5 or 6 colors of the professional and I have looked in stores from lowes, home depot, and kelly moore.

Anyone know if it can be bought online?

thanks again for all the replies to my Q's!

Last edited by Sideglide; 04/04/06 03:14 PM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? #22423
04/04/06 03:32 PM
04/04/06 03:32 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22424
04/04/06 03:40 PM
04/04/06 03:40 PM
PA
KGorney Offline
top fuel
KGorney  Offline
top fuel

PA
Quote:

So I too bought the alum. color not knowing how it will turn out and I now want the machine grey. For those that have bought it, where did you find it? I only seem to find 5 or 6 colors of the professional and I have looked in stores from lowes, home depot, and kelly moore.

Did you ask at the paint counter of Home Depot to special order it?
I had to special order the color I wanted from Home Depot. You just have to order it by the case - 4 1QT cans for $32. They just called their Rustoleum rep and got the part number, price etc, and placed the order. It helps to go to the Rustoleumm home site and get the generic part number so you can compare to what they order and verify the correct color.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22425
04/04/06 03:52 PM
04/04/06 03:52 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I frequent 4 different home depot stores in my area and I have found that the colors vary from store to store. Just aske them, it might be sitting in a box on a high shelf. I have not looked at Menard's or Lowe's, but I checked other paint stores or small hardware stores and they all carry Rustoleum Pro, colors all vary.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: KGorney] #22426
04/04/06 04:37 PM
04/04/06 04:37 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Did you ask at the paint counter of Home Depot to special order it?
I had to special order the color I wanted from Home Depot. You just have to order it by the case - 4 1QT cans for $32. They just called their Rustoleum rep and got the part number, price etc, and placed the order. It helps to go to the Rustoleumm home site and get the generic part number so you can compare to what they order and verify the correct color.

No I haven't seen askedthe counter people but I will be next time.

Exit, thanks for the link, if it looks like too much problem to get it ordered, I will just go that route. I know the shipping will be killer hehe.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22427
04/04/06 08:16 PM
04/04/06 08:16 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Ok guys, i need some help right about now.

I did 2 coats and wetsanded and then did a third coat and am now wetsanding the car again with 600 and 800(Grit depending on the panel since as of now different places of the car for some reason have different thickness of paint) because i'm going to be spraying it now. Here are some pictures i took a few hours ago. My main problem right now is that the areas that were thinner have completely dissapeared and now the metal/underneath paint is showings. I bought a spray gun like i said, and will be spraying the hood for test tommorow. Why am i constantly getting orange peels on every coat when the viscocity is good and its not too thin or too thick and soo many bubbles >.<!!
Please charger any advice? Am i in over my head?

YOU CAN SEE SOME RED PAINT ABOVE

THERE, YOU CAN SEE THAT SMALL CIRCLE METAL SHOWING

WAGNER HLVP CONTROL SPRAY

CAR AS OF NOW

SOME MORE PAINT SHOWING, AND THIS IS SUPPOSE OT BE 3RD COAT.

Funny so far i've spent close to 100$ in material for this car, and man, soo much labor. I should of tested a area first lol, i'm soo stupid

Last edited by bakuryu; 04/04/06 08:20 PM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? #22428
04/04/06 10:40 PM
04/04/06 10:40 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Well...hmmm...
Let's put things in perspective here: When you bought the car, it looked... ghastly. Given that, I think you've already made major improvements! I can see that you've spent some serious elbow grease in sanding to get the orange peel out, also well done. As for spots of the original paint coming through, I'll say two things. 1- it looks like some of these spots are either along edges or creases in the panels. 2-The others look like they are at areas that are dented (?). You have to be VERY careful when sanding edges/creases, especially if you're using a block. I think you've just over sanded in those areas. BUT...
You've also only got three coats on, correct? If you're laying the paint down properly, you wont completely cover the underlaying paint until the 4th coat. And that's assuming that you've layed down 4 nice coats. You've put on three, but judging on how much you're sanded to get all the orange peel out from the first two bad coats, you're really at more like 1.5 coats.

All in all, I think you're making major improvements. I know it doesn't feel like it, but you are. NOW... do yourself a HUGE favor... FORGET ABOUT THE SPRAY GUN!!! At least for now. Unless you've sprayed a car before, you're just BEGGING for more trouble. Slow down, get out a fresh clean NEW roller, and just concentrate on one panel. The hood is a good place to start. You've already learned quite a bit (I think), I'm willing to bet that the next coat will go on much better; as long as you don't get impatient.

As for the $100 - consider the alternative. Getting anyone else to paint your car, even the CHEAPEST, sloppiest spray job would have cost you 4 times that amount, and guarenteed you would not have been happy with it.

Next time you're out, take a good look at the paint jobs on cars, even new cars. You'll find that virtually all of them, except for the very high end cars, have a certain amount of "orange peel" to the paint. And the darker the color, the more pronounced it will appear. You "could" get rid of it entirely, but it is a very labor intensive job, even with a perfect spray job.
By keeping that paint thin, the amount of orange peel you will get is minimal. I think you just had a bad case of it because your first coat was way too thick. Go back and look at the first photos you posted.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22429
04/04/06 10:54 PM
04/04/06 10:54 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

RIck- when i got the tint the guy mixed it in a shaker for like 5 minutes, should i like stir it for an hour or something? also, how thin is thin? I mean i got it thined down to like water!! literally i drip the roller in and when i take it out it all drips out, i think this color is soo dark that it just goes on dark but i'm probably wrong. Should i continue to sand it down? the third coat was the best coat in my opinion. How do you guys get the coats on with NO bubbles? i mean very small bubles but i have to blow and then go over them again. I havent sprayed a car before but i have sprayed a fence and its the same method no? Gotta spray a car to begin somewhere right, what better test subject? hahaha than

Last edited by bakuryu; 04/04/06 10:56 PM.
Page 47 of 85 1 2 45 46 47 48 49 84 85