01/22/17 05:55 PM
01/22/17 05:55 PM
USA
440mopar Offline OP
super stock
440mopar  Offline OP
super stock

USA
Getting ready to begin reinstalling the various moldings on my car in the next few days and have a question. I presume I should put some sort of sealant on the various fasteners such as the vinyl top molding clips that push through the quarters and the screws that hold the windshield and rear window clips on (as well as others). What I would like to know is, is there any particular type of sealant that you would recommend that works best for this? I have a tube of clear silicon gasket maker that I was thinking of using but I thought I better ask here first. Thanks.

Re: Reinstalling moldings question [Re: 440mopar] #2239223
01/22/17 06:08 PM
01/22/17 06:08 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted By 440mopar
Getting ready to begin reinstalling the various moldings on my car in the next few days and have a question. I presume I should put some sort of sealant on the various fasteners such as the vinyl top molding clips that push through the quarters and the screws that hold the windshield and rear window clips on (as well as others). What I would like to know is, is there any particular type of sealant that you would recommend that works best for this? I have a tube of clear silicon gasket maker that I was thinking of using but I thought I better ask here first. Thanks.

The last thing you want is silicone, unless blistering bubbles of rust are desired under the molding/clips down the road, if you must, use a non hardening sealer like body caulk or body seam sealer, or dumdum

you don't need a sealer on windshield clips/screws, perhaps just the holes that may see water that sits on the molding edge and slowly drains thru the backside of the molding, much like vinyl top belt molding or body side molding etc