North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline OP
master
Monte_Smith  Offline OP
master
M

North Alabama
You two can look at it however you want, makes ZERO difference to me. It wasn't intended to slight anyone, throw shade at anyone, nor was anyone singled out to take it personally. But YOU want to feel slighted, singled out, read things in that weren't there, or not like how it was worded, you go right ahead. That's on you, not me.

Re: Super Stock Springs [Re: Monte_Smith] #2235841
01/17/17 03:24 AM
01/17/17 03:24 AM
Wichita
G
GY3 Offline
master
GY3  Offline
master
G

Wichita
Originally Posted By Monte_Smith
You two can look at it however you want, makes ZERO difference to me. It wasn't intended to slight anyone, throw shade at anyone, nor was anyone singled out to take it personally. But YOU want to feel slighted, singled out, read things in that weren't there, or not like how it was worded, you go right ahead. That's on you, not me.

It doesn't BOTHER me one damn bit. But I can tell you that if you think there are just TWO of us that have that perception, then you are sadly mistaken.

Re: Super Stock Springs [Re: Monte_Smith] #2235878
01/17/17 05:48 AM
01/17/17 05:48 AM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline OP
master
Monte_Smith  Offline OP
master
M

North Alabama
I am seriously confused about what your issue is here. On the first page you said they were Mexican junk. In another thread, you said your SS springs bent quickly and you were going to Cal Tracks. Then later in this thread, you said it was money vs time and they were easy to buy and throw on because they worked......yet you called them junk and said yours bent? Yet somehow you are upset because I am apparently downing SS springs and Mopar in general............hmmm, guess I am having trouble following along. So how was it exactly I supposedly stepped on your toes, when it seems you agreed

You also incorrectly indicated I was the same Monty that owned Yellow Bullet. He is Monty Mikho, I am Monte Smith.......there is a FACT for you

Last edited by Monte_Smith; 01/17/17 05:56 AM.
Re: Super Stock Springs [Re: Monte_Smith] #2235887
01/17/17 07:41 AM
01/17/17 07:41 AM
Australia
P
Project kickin A Offline
Project kickin A  Offline
P

Australia
what a load of crap... no wonder fewer and fewer member come back here get off your keyboards and go get your life in order geesh.

Re: Super Stock Springs [Re: Monte_Smith] #2235997
01/17/17 01:30 PM
01/17/17 01:30 PM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
I am seriously confused about what your issue is here. On the first page you said they were Mexican junk. In another thread, you said your SS springs bent quickly and you were going to Cal Tracks. Then later in this thread, you said it was money vs time and they were easy to buy and throw on because they worked......yet you called them junk and said yours bent? Yet somehow you are upset because I am apparently downing SS springs and Mopar in general............hmmm, guess I am having trouble following along. So how was it exactly I supposedly stepped on your toes, when it seems you agreed

You also incorrectly indicated I was the same Monty that owned Yellow Bullet. He is Monty Mikho, I am Monte Smith.......there is a FACT for you

I thought everyone knew SATAN owned YB. Until he sold out to some Canadian Devils or something like that.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston
Re: Super Stock Springs [Re: madscientist] #2236124
01/17/17 04:41 PM
01/17/17 04:41 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

We're all on eggshells when it comes to this and our Parents secret Beef stew recipe. This coming to you from non other than Chef-Boy-R-Lee. LOL.

In opening, My waiver starts with myself and I being courageously funny to try and view both sides of this spiked fence. Some key words and or phrases are capitalized to protect the not-so innocent.

Here goes:
I bet the same can be said of why A GOOD AMOUNT of other makes out there are running on lap topped electronic injected units and twin hairdryers or single Saxophones while a good amount,BUT NOT ALL Mopars are still on manifold mounted Carburetors tweaked by pocket screw drivers and drill bits. Some higher level things are just simpler, more advanced and precise for THOSE IN LINE FOR IT with a pinch of mystery whether they go fast or not.
Some other DONE THAT, BEEN THERE things and springs are just simpler, cheaper and nostalgic for those in line for it with a pinch of mystery whether they go fast or not. I mean, carbs are still being figured out! correct? ThumperD and others that he gives credit to have proven that with good results and the same could be said about springs coming around as well especially with alternative engineering methods the likes of Cal-tracs, Launchers, assassin bars or back door blacksmithing.
At the end or beginning, we're all trying to pass a bill for cars that NEVER are QUITE FINISHED. If they were finished, so would we.

In all seriousness, I understood Monte's question from a few points and correct me if I'm wrong, In getting into the molecules and beliefs of these leafs, he probably just wanted to kick the can down the road a little bit to see what the consensus among racers are still doing about this crucial component of performance with maybe hoping that SOME WOULD EXPERIMENT with alternatives like he did or just graduate to higher levels through this type of discourse. or........... MAYBE he's mystified on the mystery and just wanted to break into the safe of the "DIRECT CONNECTION" safe haven and get down to the nuts (us) and bolts of these parts.

So here's my card. I'm a traditionalist..... and because of that maybe I'm a candidate for self inflicted struggle to get where I supposedly think I should be, but for many reasons that are eggshell bombshells, I am happy right where I'm at with Leafs and that is all that matters as well as for others that think the same or are JUST STARTING with their cars.

In short, I value Monte's and others on here with their word and sometimes hook and sinker threads because that is what stirs the moving parts within Moparts. He has a lot of valuable information based on the fast cars he's run through the years and the fast crowd that he runs with.

Monte, sorry I added some spices to your recipe for the BEEF stew. LOL.

Amen.

Last edited by fullmetaljacket; 01/17/17 04:50 PM.
Re: Super Stock Springs [Re: fullmetaljacket] #2236141
01/17/17 05:12 PM
01/17/17 05:12 PM
organ
M
maximum entropy Offline
master
maximum entropy  Offline
master
M

organ
mopar themselves say that if you're using ss springs, you should NOT be using the adjustable snubber. i found out the hard way (using both) why (in my case, anyway). i managed to rattle the tires so bad one day, it about ripped the car to pieces, and that was on drag radials!! i took the snubber off, and it never did it again. i had the complete package: 002 and 003 springs, and the gawdawful super stock shocks. WAY too much separation at launch. i put some rancho 9000's on there, and it will hook in an oily car wash, with almost no burnout. do i like ss springs? meh, i HATE the "stink bug" rake, and the lean to the left. HATE. over the decades, i've modified, and played with these things, to the point where they work great, and the car sits nice and low. i tried removing some of the leaves. you name it. i came to the realization that they are (imho) optimized for a certain power level, and if you don't have enough power (traction and torque, to load the springs properly), they don't work so good. of course, this also means they can be over powered...

for what is the good life if not doing things thoughtfully?
Re: Super Stock Springs [Re: fullmetaljacket] #2236284
01/17/17 09:12 PM
01/17/17 09:12 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline OP
master
Monte_Smith  Offline OP
master
M

North Alabama
Originally Posted By fullmetaljacket

Here goes:
I bet the same can be said of why A GOOD AMOUNT of other makes out there are running on lap topped electronic injected units and twin hairdryers or single Saxophones while a good amount,BUT NOT ALL Mopars are still on manifold mounted Carburetors tweaked by pocket screw drivers and drill bits. Some higher level things are just simpler, more advanced and precise for THOSE IN LINE FOR IT with a pinch of mystery whether they go fast or not.
Some other DONE THAT, BEEN THERE things and springs are just simpler, cheaper and nostalgic for those in line for it with a pinch of mystery whether they go fast or not. I mean, carbs are still being figured out! correct? ThumperD and others that he gives credit to have proven that with good results and the same could be said about springs coming around as well especially with alternative engineering methods the likes of Cal-tracs, Launchers, assassin bars or back door blacksmithing.
At the end or beginning, we're all trying to pass a bill for cars that NEVER are QUITE FINISHED. If they were finished, so would we.

In all seriousness, I understood Monte's question from a few points and correct me if I'm wrong, In getting into the molecules and beliefs of these leafs, he probably just wanted to kick the can down the road a little bit to see what the consensus among racers are still doing about this crucial component of performance with maybe hoping that SOME WOULD EXPERIMENT with alternatives like he did or just graduate to higher levels through this type of discourse. or........... MAYBE he's mystified on the mystery and just wanted to break into the safe of the "DIRECT CONNECTION" safe haven and get down to the nuts (us) and bolts of these parts.

So here's my card. I'm a traditionalist..... and because of that maybe I'm a candidate for self inflicted struggle to get where I supposedly think I should be, but for many reasons that are eggshell bombshells, I am happy right where I'm at with Leafs and that is all that matters as well as for others that think the same or are JUST STARTING with their cars.

In short, I value Monte's and others on here with their word and sometimes hook and sinker threads because that is what stirs the moving parts within Moparts. He has a lot of valuable information based on the fast cars he's run through the years and the fast crowd that he runs with.

This is the point EXACTLY. If you just keep regurgitating the same old info, nothing changes. Some are reluctant to post opposing views, because if it seems you are saying some of the "sacred old stuff" really isn't that great, you get unloaded on with both barrels. Old school works for many people and if that's what they want, that's fine. But about anything you did back in the 60s, 70s, 80s, even 90s, there ARE better ways to do it now. Nobody is saying the old ways won't and didn't work, but not EVERYONE wants to do it that way. If you can't have a reasonable discussion of the merits and the downfalls, because the "purists" get upset, how will anybody learn anything new.

Some want to run that old Mushroom cam they have on the shelf.....that's fine. But why does it make you mad when somebody else says there are things that work better and that's old technology? We all KNOW it's true.

I have also not seen anyone running down cast iron heads here either. But the point has been made several times, that if much cash outlay is involved in getting the iron heads ready to go, aluminum heads end up being a cheaper and better alternative. It's true and we all know it's true. Same goes for rescuing those old rods with a recon and new bolts. New rods is usually cheaper

I see the same things in the gun world, where I also participate on a fairly large level. In that area, I am strictly a traditionalist. Meaning I like pretty wood stocked rifles with nice shiny blued actions. I am a minority, as most prefer the black plastic, light weight, satin finish or stainless rifles now. I hate that look, but don't bemoan anyone for making that choice. They are cheaper and shoot great, that I can not deny. Same way on pistols. Plastic and polymer striker fired pistols, I don't own one and won't. Give me a steel auto with an exposed hammer, or a shiny revolver any day. But again I don't begrudge the new trends, because they are fine guns......I just don't like them.

So while many are happy with "old school" here........that's fine, it works for you. Be good with your choice. You don't have to defend your position, but you also shouldn't get mad when it is pointed out there are better, more modern ways to skin the cat. In the end, either way the cat is dead, but one way might be easier.......LOL!!!

Re: Super Stock Springs [Re: Monte_Smith] #2236320
01/17/17 10:09 PM
01/17/17 10:09 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
Thou shalt not blaspheme our Ma in Auburn Hills lest the faithful smite you down.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: Super Stock Springs [Re: Monte_Smith] #2236323
01/17/17 10:12 PM
01/17/17 10:12 PM
West Plains, MO
DrCharles Offline
master
DrCharles  Offline
master

West Plains, MO

Some want to run that old Mushroom cam they have on the shelf.....that's fine. But why does it make you mad when somebody else says there are things that work better and that's old technology? We all KNOW it's true.

Of course we all KNOW there are more modern setups. No argument there.

The only thing that "makes me mad" is when someone starts running down any aspect of a build, pointing out that they should have done it a different "better" way and only that way.

With no apparent appreciation for WHY any choice was made, which often includes cost. (I'm talking about any project on here, not mine in particular). It's their car and their budget... what's the point in being negative (unless it just won't work, period).

Even then it's still possible to be helpful, without coming off as judgmental or overly critical. twocents

Re: Super Stock Springs [Re: Monte_Smith] #2236325
01/17/17 10:16 PM
01/17/17 10:16 PM
Spring Hill Fl
65Fury440 Offline
mopar
65Fury440  Offline
mopar

Spring Hill Fl
I need a set of springs for my car.
It weighs 3800 lbs. I have a 600ish hp motor, 4 speed, and am putting a Dana in it, figured now is as good a time as any to upgrade my springs.
It is a street car with a few times a year to the strip.

I was going to go with these XHD
http://www.manciniracing.com/moxbbosetlri.html

After reading this thread, I am considering Calvert split monos
http://www.manciniracing.com/camolespset1.html

It concerns me they are a one size fits all though. Any thoughts how it would handle a car at the heavier end of the field?

Last edited by 65Fury440; 01/17/17 10:16 PM.
Re: Super Stock Springs [Re: Monte_Smith] #2236336
01/17/17 10:26 PM
01/17/17 10:26 PM
West Plains, MO
DrCharles Offline
master
DrCharles  Offline
master

West Plains, MO
Hey, this is a thread about hurt feelings, you can't discuss actual springs in here whistling

I've always been an A-body guy so I can't give specifics. But it would seem logical that a heavier car using the same spring would sit lower and be sprung more softly? shruggy

Re: Super Stock Springs [Re: 65Fury440] #2236339
01/17/17 10:30 PM
01/17/17 10:30 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Being your a street car and will hardly ever
see the track and your going to be on a street
tire I would really look at XHD springs and maybe the
caltracs but I would put the springs on first
then think about the caltracs.. remember if
you get decent springs you need decent shocks
to control the rear end... just something to
think about
wave

Last edited by MR_P_BODY; 01/17/17 10:39 PM.
Re: Super Stock Springs [Re: Monte_Smith] #2236352
01/17/17 10:41 PM
01/17/17 10:41 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
The most important part of this sport is to have a good time. For most that means going to the track with Friends and running anything from 13-8 second passes and coming home with the car in one piece. Some get a natural high just from making passes, some by winning, and some by going fast. Lets all head into 2017 with that in mind and race within YOUR budget and with YOUR goals in mind. Lets have FUN!!!!!!!!!!!

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: Super Stock Springs [Re: pittsburghracer] #2236356
01/17/17 10:47 PM
01/17/17 10:47 PM
Canton, Ohio
S
Sport440 Offline
master
Sport440  Offline
master
S

Canton, Ohio
Originally Posted By pittsburghracer
Lets all head into 2017 with that in mind and race within YOUR budget and with YOUR goals in mind.

Lets have FUN!!!!!!!!!!!

It Shall be Life!!!!!!!!

biggrin
. up
laugh2

Last edited by Sport440; 01/17/17 10:49 PM.
Re: Super Stock Springs [Re: Monte_Smith] #2236358
01/17/17 10:50 PM
01/17/17 10:50 PM
Spring Hill Fl
65Fury440 Offline
mopar
65Fury440  Offline
mopar

Spring Hill Fl
Thanks for the response guys.
]
I called these guys today, was looking at this spring with the Spring Rate = 130

http://www.generalspringkc.com/product_p/33-907.htm

I am worried about wrapping up my springs. I know they are old, but after installing the new engine, the u joint straps ripped out, it didn't take much.

I don't understand if spring rate translates into resistance to axle wrap.

The XHD springs don't list their spring rate.Anyone know about where they are rated?

Am I worrying too much? I just want to be able to launch it without too much rotation.

Last edited by 65Fury440; 01/17/17 10:51 PM.
Re: Super Stock Springs [Re: Monte_Smith] #2236361
01/17/17 10:52 PM
01/17/17 10:52 PM
West Plains, MO
DrCharles Offline
master
DrCharles  Offline
master

West Plains, MO
What about clamping the front segments? wrench

Re: Super Stock Springs [Re: 65Fury440] #2236373
01/17/17 11:03 PM
01/17/17 11:03 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Originally Posted By 65Fury440
Thanks for the response guys.
]
I called these guys today, was looking at this spring with the Spring Rate = 130

http://www.generalspringkc.com/product_p/33-907.htm

I am worried about wrapping up my springs. I know they are old, but after installing the new engine, the u joint straps ripped out, it didn't take much.

I don't understand if spring rate translates into resistance to axle wrap.

The XHD springs don't list their spring rate.Anyone know about where they are rated?

Am I worrying too much? I just want to be able to launch it without too much rotation.

If you tore a strap off the U-joint the pinion
rolled up too far and bound the joint and tore
the strap off.. I've been using the stock straps
for 12 years on my car.. if you look at where the
joint sits in the yoke you will see that the caps
set in OVER half way.. this puts all the load on
the yoke and not the straps.. they just hold the
joint into the yoke.. as to spring rate and pinion
roll up.. the rate doesnt have anything to do with
it.. the front segment is what controls that.. the
rear of the spring is the rate part of it
wave

Re: Super Stock Springs [Re: 65Fury440] #2236387
01/17/17 11:16 PM
01/17/17 11:16 PM
N.E. Ohio
K
KillerBee Offline
master
KillerBee  Offline
master
K

N.E. Ohio
Originally Posted By 65Fury440
I need a set of springs for my car.
It weighs 3800 lbs. I have a 600ish hp motor, 4 speed, and am putting a Dana in it, figured now is as good a time as any to upgrade my springs.
It is a street car with a few times a year to the strip.

I was going to go with these XHD
http://www.manciniracing.com/moxbbosetlri.html

After reading this thread, I am considering Calvert split monos
http://www.manciniracing.com/camolespset1.html

It concerns me they are a one size fits all though. Any thoughts how it would handle a car at the heavier end of the field?

My experience with the quality MP springs De Mexico.

Round 1 was brand new MP XHD springs. It might be correct OEM ride height but to me the rear of the car was waaay too low.
Didn't even drive the car, removed the springs and returned them to my local Summit Racing.

Round 2 was MP's Super Stock springs.
Per suggestions I went with 2 driver's side SS springs from an A body for softer ride and lower ride height.
I was very happy with initial results but 2 years later with very low miles the springs have flattened and sagged about 2" to the point the rear shacklers are tilting towards the rear of the car.
The final straw was after doing some spirited driving and power shifts with the 440 4 speed the rear spring segments decided to open up and introduce themselves to my rear valance, both sides! From the best I can determine the flattening of the springs has shifted the rear section of them too close to the rear valance.

Round 3 will not include any springs from MP down

Last edited by KillerBee; 01/17/17 11:17 PM.
Re: Super Stock Springs [Re: Monte_Smith] #2236391
01/17/17 11:21 PM
01/17/17 11:21 PM

C
crabman173
Unregistered
crabman173
Unregistered
C

The old U Joint makers used to have a film out back in the 60's they put a std 7 inch saw blade on the drive shaft right at the u joint--they would spin it with it straight and put a playing card to the saw blade--it sounded smooth--they would increase pinion angle little at a time and when it was past acceptable pinion angle you could actually HEAR the saw noise starting and stopping proving what was actually happening at the u joint
a real eye opener!!
Those engineers were pretty smart guys

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10