Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Structural Adhesive - Rear Sway Bar Frame Brackets? [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #2230489
01/08/17 11:46 PM
01/08/17 11:46 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Moral of this story is

When your only tool is a hammer (welder) then all your problems are nails (things that need welding).

Or

Old dogs cannot learn new tricks.

Or

"Cause that's the way we always dunnit".

But ultimately what it boils down to is this

"I dunno how a swaybar works, so I don't know how the forces are applied and therefore cannot comment cogently".

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Structural Adhesive - Rear Sway Bar Frame Brackets? [Re: Supercuda] #2230496
01/08/17 11:56 PM
01/08/17 11:56 PM
Texas
GoodysGotaCuda Offline OP
5.7L Hemi, 6spd
GoodysGotaCuda  Offline OP
5.7L Hemi, 6spd

Texas
Originally Posted By jcc
"I keep coming back to the component in discussion, it's a 3/4" tube of steel with 18" or so levers on it. The loads are not that of an upper control arm, strut rod, tie rod, etc. "

Never paid much attention to an e body OEM rear sway bar, what are the load paths, ie are the brackets always/mostly under compression (the ideal for epoxy?) on the glue joint? And there are really no direct impact loads, all loads transmit thru the somewhat flexible 18"? lever arm and resisted by the length and diameter of the sway bar, against the opposite flexible leaf spring. These are not IMO, excessive loads, but enough to eventually cause failure, I think not, if done correctly. Push the envelope. And in case of a sudden failure, if at maximum load, ie 10/10ths cornering, with a stock dia bar, the result will be a surprise, and a change towards understeer handling, and a great story to share on moparts. grin

PS technically it is a bar of steel not a tube?

Sway bars in general typically have a few bushings in them. The bar mounts are a bushing of sort which will distort before transferring any load between sides. The end links, typically, on both ends have bushing/rubber as well. Loading will be in tension on one side and compression on the other during roll. In heave the bar is just along for the ride and rotates about the bar bushings.

This car really will not see 10/10 cornering at a high rate of speed, if I am pushing it, it'll be at an Autocross. Cones don't hurt too bad.

And yes, these bars are tubing, typical OEM is bar.

Originally Posted By Supercuda
Moral of this story is

When your only tool is a hammer (welder) then all your problems are nails (things that need welding).

Or

Old dogs cannot learn new tricks.

Or

"Cause that's the way we always dunnit".

But ultimately what it boils down to is this

"I dunno how a swaybar works, so I don't know how the forces are applied and therefore cannot comment cogently".

This does sum it up quite well. Change is scary and sway bars are wizardry.

I thought it was interesting that whomever did this Hot Rod article used epoxy for their front chassis stiffening components as well as the subframe connectors and most of the torque boxes.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/dont-drop-hemi-4-chassis-mods/

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi, T56 Magnum 6spd - https://www.facebook.com/GoodysGotaHemi
2020 RAM 1500
[img]https://i.imgur.com/v9yezP9.jpg[/img]
Re: Structural Adhesive - Rear Sway Bar Frame Brackets? [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #2230506
01/09/17 12:13 AM
01/09/17 12:13 AM
D
dogdays Offline
I Live Here
dogdays  Offline
I Live Here
D

During the production run of 3rd or fourth generation Camaros, the tooling was getting old and some parts turned out to be pretty flexible with just spotwelds. Spotwelds plus structural adhesive on the length opf the joints stiffened things up considerably.

Mention anything new and you ALWAYS get the doomsday sayers, "put it in the worst possible condition and it will fail." Green bearings are a great example. Yet, how many failures have actually been documented by Board members?

Those pieces see NO impact loads. First of all they are loaded in either tension or compression as they attach to the "frame". Second as Goody has mentioned there is a lot of rubber in the system. Third, if it DID fail "at 10/10ths in a corner' the suspension won't suddenly collapse, instead it'd allow more roll and probably put the car in an understeer condition, meaaning it would go straighter than it should. Adding more rear bar makes the rear end rotate out, oversteer, but removing rear bar makes the car front end not turn in enough. Not at all like the Jeep I saw on Interstate 70 yesterday lying on its side, one rear wheel sheared completely off.

In the same way I'd glue and screw a wood joint, I'd suggest gluing and screwing the bracket. The screws hold it together and aid in the clamping. The glue prevents the movement that "wallows out the holes".

R.

Last edited by dogdays; 01/09/17 12:14 AM.
Re: Structural Adhesive - Rear Sway Bar Frame Brackets? [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #2230901
01/09/17 04:58 PM
01/09/17 04:58 PM
Chicago, IL
P
PLUM_72 Offline
pro stock
PLUM_72  Offline
pro stock
P

Chicago, IL
Unless you assembled the whole car with ever last accessory, you will likely run into this issue again of needing to modify an area that was pre-painted. Especially with the amount of fabrication in your build.

Whether or not the adhesive will work, its the bottom of the car. Install and weld as Hotchkis suggests. Use the opportunity to learn to blend new paint/clear into the old. You're a pretty creative person, it shouldn't be much for you to figure a paint blend. Ans its the bottom of a car, no one is going to see this.

1972 Dodge Challenger
Re: Structural Adhesive - Rear Sway Bar Frame Brackets? [Re: RSNOMO] #2230904
01/09/17 05:03 PM
01/09/17 05:03 PM
jersey shore
F
flypaper Offline
I hate Texas
flypaper  Offline
I hate Texas
F

jersey shore
Originally Posted By RS23U1G
Originally Posted By flypaper
Originally Posted By stumpy
How about epoxy and self tappers?

that is wussing out.. wink

LMAO...

(I see why it says what it does under 'flypaper'...

its not the location as some would love to think laugh2

you gotta love all these experts
about a product they have never touched in their lives!
the one single person who responded in this thread with FIRST hand experience
said not to use it for the application.
that holds more weight to me then some stupid magazine article
and if you are screwing and gluing
that tells me you don't trust it yourself! laugh2

it costs a lot of money to build our rides
and i'm not rich enough to gamble it on the word of some stupid magazine article
that does no follow up on failures or has any clue of the longevity of this product or has done any real world testing.
its not a matter of embracing new technology
its a matter of not gambling on it
and being the guinea pig until its proven for the use.
at least this makes for some good winter reading
if nothing else..

Re: Structural Adhesive - Rear Sway Bar Frame Brackets? [Re: Supercuda] #2230933
01/09/17 05:53 PM
01/09/17 05:53 PM
the house on the left.
C
cogen80 Offline
master
cogen80  Offline
master
C

the house on the left.
Moral of this story is

fixed it for ya...:)

he was going to do what he wants to do but posted here in hope to find someone to tell him what he wanted to hear.

Re: Structural Adhesive - Rear Sway Bar Frame Brackets? [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #2230953
01/09/17 06:11 PM
01/09/17 06:11 PM
Sac, CA
M
mopowers Offline
master
mopowers  Offline
master
M

Sac, CA
Does the OP have access to a welder? What's the problem with welding them? It's the bottom of the car. Weld them on, squirt some left over paint on them and call it good. I'm not sure what the big deal is here.

Re: Structural Adhesive - Rear Sway Bar Frame Brackets? [Re: cogen80] #2230985
01/09/17 06:49 PM
01/09/17 06:49 PM
jersey shore
F
flypaper Offline
I hate Texas
flypaper  Offline
I hate Texas
F

jersey shore
Originally Posted By cogen80
Moral of this story is

fixed it for ya...:)

he was going to do what he wants to do but posted here in hope to find someone to tell him what he wanted to hear.

exactly.
and when he didn't get the answer he wanted
we get mocked as being old school
and not embracing technology.. realcrazy laugh2

Re: Structural Adhesive - Rear Sway Bar Frame Brackets? [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #2230988
01/09/17 06:54 PM
01/09/17 06:54 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Mocked?

Nope.

Just the facts.

Even the factory didn't weld them in. Why should he?

Don't be the exception.
Re: Structural Adhesive - Rear Sway Bar Frame Brackets? [Re: Supercuda] #2230994
01/09/17 06:57 PM
01/09/17 06:57 PM
jersey shore
F
flypaper Offline
I hate Texas
flypaper  Offline
I hate Texas
F

jersey shore
Mocked?

Nope.

Just the facts.

a few bolts would be just too easy.. laugh2
then you have to think also
what if he wanted to take them off and move them in the future??

Re: Structural Adhesive - Rear Sway Bar Frame Brackets? [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #2230998
01/09/17 07:00 PM
01/09/17 07:00 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Well, I don't think I'd glue them on either, mostly because I have no hands on with it. He has experience with it and knows what to use to do it. So why not?

If no one ever did anything new we'd still be slime in a pond somewhere.

Don't be the exception.
Re: Structural Adhesive - Rear Sway Bar Frame Brackets? [Re: Supercuda] #2231000
01/09/17 07:01 PM
01/09/17 07:01 PM
Berlin, N.J.
A
abodyjoe Offline
I Live Here
abodyjoe  Offline
I Live Here
A

Berlin, N.J.

Just the facts.

not taking sides here but i would think his car would stick to the road a lot better when he is finished with it then ever imagined when new.

It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

www.MoparMisfits.com
Re: Structural Adhesive - Rear Sway Bar Frame Brackets? [Re: abodyjoe] #2231034
01/09/17 07:56 PM
01/09/17 07:56 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Op is an engineer, lets crunch some numbers. Assuming just static loads for arguments sake, as in gigo. We know the lever arm length, we know the diameter (still puzzled over a solid bar vs a hallow bar ie wall thickness , we know the effective length, we know? maximum travel, we know in use temp of bond, we know/measure the glued surface area, both loaded in shear and tensile, some HP epoxies can achieve 14K psi tensile, and we can assume a perfect bond for starts, curious what the back of the napkin loading would be. work

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Structural Adhesive - Rear Sway Bar Frame Brackets? [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #2231038
01/09/17 08:02 PM
01/09/17 08:02 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Before you sail off into the wild blue yonder, what's the loading in a stock setup?

No side loading to speak of.

No fore an aft loading to speak of.

No vertical loading to speak of.

No horizontal loading to speak of.

All the loading in a properly working sway bar setup is torsional and at the ends where they connect to the rear axle.

If there was enough loading at the frame mounts to stress a bond then the rubber bushings would be hammered out long before it stressed the bond.

Don't be the exception.
Re: Structural Adhesive - Rear Sway Bar Frame Brackets? [Re: Supercuda] #2231047
01/09/17 08:06 PM
01/09/17 08:06 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
The loading vertically will be equal to the load and direction seen at the end of each link I believe.

Think of our TB's up front, ie why a K member needs to be so beefy.

Last edited by jcc; 01/09/17 08:09 PM.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Structural Adhesive - Rear Sway Bar Frame Brackets? [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #2231059
01/09/17 08:25 PM
01/09/17 08:25 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
A couple things:

1) Goody, I think I'd strip any zinc plating off the inside of the bracket and get it down to a good prepped bare steel. I'm sure the bracket plating is good but I'd feel better with a properly prepped bare steel for the epoxy to grab.

2) Shut the naysayers up. Get me some of that adhesive. I'll load test it (instrumented to 10,000 lbs, max capacity 40,000 lbs) in the shop and post a video of the results. An incremental load test is quite different than an impact test but that is what I have available and will show a comparison of strength.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: Structural Adhesive - Rear Sway Bar Frame Brackets? [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #2231061
01/09/17 08:27 PM
01/09/17 08:27 PM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
Aren't joints glued together stronger than the metal itself? Failure of the glued joint was away from the joint itself, somewhere in the base material.

And as said, it's sway bar mounts. If it fails, you won't die. You will learn something and have the opportunity to make it better. If you came here wanting to glue on your wheels and not use lug nuts, I'd call you a special kind of stupid.

**Photobucket sucks**
Re: Structural Adhesive - Rear Sway Bar Frame Brackets? [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #2231080
01/09/17 08:54 PM
01/09/17 08:54 PM
Lake Orion, MI
goldduster318 Offline
pro stock
goldduster318  Offline
pro stock

Lake Orion, MI
The glue probably is or at least could be stronger than the base material...and I would consider that to be a requirement for this application.

I'm an mechanical engineer myself, and I used to work at a company that made the "body shops" where they did all the welding for OEM car sheetmetal. This was only about 6 years ago, we weren't seeing any of this other than for skins, hence my reply. So yeah, I don't deny that it could work. Is it cost effective? Probably not for a production car.

I'd also ask the same question here. Considering I already welded on the same type of brackets to my car with a really basic MIG welder in about 45 minutes and I bet I used less than $2 worth of wire and gas....and I know I can trust it...and if my weld cracked I could very easily repair it. Not sure what you'd do with adhesive with a partial failure.

The only issue I could really see is if you didn't get it clean enough for a good bond. So go ahead and try it, worst thing that could happen is it fails and causes understeer. Sub-100 RPN anyway. lol

'70 Duster 470hp 340/T56 Magnum/8 3/4 3.23 Sure-Grip
Re: Structural Adhesive - Rear Sway Bar Frame Brackets? [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #2231677
01/10/17 03:52 PM
01/10/17 03:52 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
He asked.
We responded, maybe not everything he wanted to hear.
He responded with his reasoning.
We debated, and still are. (Does that really surprise anyone that has been around Moparts?)
He will do what he was probably going to do in the first place.

So now, the question is, how much time must pass before this gets the stamp of success or failure? 6 months? A year? 5 years? His (or our) lifetime?

When do we get to say "I told you so!" or "Gee, I guess that really did work." Gene

Re: Structural Adhesive - Rear Sway Bar Frame Brackets? [Re: poorboy] #2231751
01/10/17 05:50 PM
01/10/17 05:50 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted By poorboy
He asked.
We responded, maybe not everything he wanted to hear.
He responded with his reasoning.
We debated, and still are. (Does that really surprise anyone that has been around Moparts?)
He will do what he was probably going to do in the first place.

So now, the question is, how much time must pass before this gets the stamp of success or failure? 6 months? A year? 5 years? His (or our) lifetime?

When do we get to say "I told you so!" or "Gee, I guess that really did work." Gene

4 years seems about right to me. grin

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4