03/16/06 01:09 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

The more I read this strng the more I am coninced that although the results for some of you are good. It is starting to look to me that if your time is worth anything at all you would be ahead of the game by spraying a little more expensive paint and being done with it.

that would be true if you have the space, and equipment not to mention the skill!!! having done both i would agree with you, but once you have the technique down pat it's actually alot eaiser then spraying. also spraying requires alot more skill, there's primers, primer sealers, paint, reducers, re-coat windows, ect...alot more can go wrong when you spray, for the first-timer (ie-amateur) this method is eaiser, and alot eaiser to fix if you mess up, not to mention that if it does'nt workout for you your only out a few $, instead of $300 of material, and a huge mess on your hands (been there, done that!!!) the first time i sprayed paint it really messed up, i probally created 4 times the work it would have took if i knew what i was doing. i would consider myself a seasoned semi-pro do-it-yourself painter in the spraying department. i can spray a car with basically professional results in my garage. i was going to spray the charger but it barley fit in my garage, not enough room to confortably work around it to spray. since i was a seasoned roller painter i just rollered it!!!! i'm very happy with the results, no complaints. I guess it's easy to say "just spray it" if you know how, but to a newbie spraying is scarry, it's also a valid fear as ALOT can go wrong.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22191
03/16/06 01:27 PM
03/16/06 01:27 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

On top of that, the results many are sharing are far from satisfactory - mainly no real cure/soft paint. If the paint available in the US is not the same formula and takes forever to cure (if at all adequately), it doesn't seem worth the effort.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22192
03/16/06 01:46 PM
03/16/06 01:46 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

P.S. - EXIT1965- quit painting test areas and paint that damm car allready!!!!! next pic i want to see is a done car!!!! lol

Yes, I want to see that too, believe me! But I am still not convinced of which rustoleum product would be best to use, so I'm experimenting more with the pro stuff.

I am doing these test areas in my spare time, while bondo is drying, etc. I welded up all but 7 trim holes last night, I am making progress fast so who knows, I could start painting my car within a month as much time as I've been spending on it.

And I got a PM from a guy who tried Acetone, and it dried too fast for him, got all sticky and turned into a big mess- so Im not seeing a good reason to switch from mineral spirits.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22193
03/16/06 02:01 PM
03/16/06 02:01 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Rolling paint on is much easier than spraying. There is no mess, I just have some blue tape along the window edges and around the door handles, nothing on the floor, no big plastic drapes, etc. No overspray to cover all the other stuff in my garage either and NO SMELL.

The technique is easy, just roll it on and it evens itself out.

The problem I have is, I'll have a great looking car with about 10hrs total work into it...BUT YOU CAN'T TOUCH IT OR THE PAINT WILL SCRATCH OFF

Somehow I think rustoleum just doesn't bond well to urethane primer.

Maybe if I can figure a way to spray some clear over the top?

Last edited by JagdStealth; 03/16/06 02:02 PM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? #22194
03/16/06 02:15 PM
03/16/06 02:15 PM
Grand Haven, MI
patrick Offline
I Live Here
patrick  Offline
I Live Here

Grand Haven, MI
Quote:

The car was primered with what I beleive is a urethane primer (typical grey, nice and smooth, not rattle can).

Prioer to painting, I did some bondo work on a few areas I wanted to smooth out and I tossed a little rattlecan primer on top of that. Once everything was dry, I first sanded it all with 150 and then followed it with 320 grit, I washed the entire car down with simple green and used a brush to scrub everything, then I let it dry and wiped it all down with a rag and mineral spirits. I waited a few hours to make sure everything was dry and I started rolling on the paint...

I think surface prep is part of your problem. most polyester fillers (bondo) absorb water. using a water based product like simple green could trap moisture in there, and using a slow-flash solvent like mineral spirits probably doesn't help, either. for the rustoleum, I'd probably go rougher on your sanding of the primer, maybe 180 grit. then instead of using a water based degreaser or mineral spirits, I'd wipe it down with lacquer thinner or brake cleaner and then paint. also, the two guys having the problem with regular rustoleum are in CA. wouldn't be suprised if your formulation is different. I'd probably stick with the professional or industrial stuff if I were you.

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)
Re: paint job on a budget!? #22195
03/16/06 02:57 PM
03/16/06 02:57 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Rolling paint on is much easier than spraying. There is no mess, I just have some blue tape along the window edges and around the door handles, nothing on the floor, no big plastic drapes, etc. No overspray to cover all the other stuff in my garage either and NO SMELL.

The technique is easy, just roll it on and it evens itself out.

The problem I have is, I'll have a great looking car with about 10hrs total work into it...BUT YOU CAN'T TOUCH IT OR THE PAINT WILL SCRATCH OFF

Somehow I think rustoleum just doesn't bond well to urethane primer.

Maybe if I can figure a way to spray some clear over the top?

the problem you have is with the initial bond with the primer. i hope you did a test area and not the whole car ???? spraying clear on the paint will not solve the problem. there must be a issue with the surface prep. i've painted over urethane primer with no issues.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22196
03/16/06 03:12 PM
03/16/06 03:12 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I already did paint the whole car. I did a small test area and it seemed to work fine, but I didn't try and scrape it that hard :lol:

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22197
03/16/06 03:25 PM
03/16/06 03:25 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

hi all,
new here,but have been reading this post,,,and even trying the painting myself,,i'll try and post a pic.
i'll talk more later about what i used,,,just wanted to see if the pic would upload.

2480260-trucks033.jpg (2002 downloads)
Last edited by 84d150; 03/16/06 03:29 PM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? #22198
03/16/06 03:32 PM
03/16/06 03:32 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Been following this thread for awhile. I'm a little confused on one point though. Should one use a primer/sealer or not? I'm in the process of stripping my car to bare metal, and am wondering if I will be just painting the Rustoleum over the metal directly, or primer first? Also, has anyone done the paint over something like Rust Bullet or Por 15?

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22199
03/16/06 03:57 PM
03/16/06 03:57 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hey Guys
Right now I am painting my hole car.
I am using Rustoleum Professional thinned with mineral spirits. And so far so good. The adhesion of the paint is good. I almost can't scratch the paint and I did my second coat this morning. I am painting over Base Coat and Clear Coat without even sanding except for making the surface smooth (the clear coat of my car it is peeling off). I am just using a scratch pad with soapy water and then, when it is dry, cleaning with rag and acetone.
The Rustoleum professional dries in 2 or 3 hours, at least here in Florida with 80 Fahrenheit.
Do not use acetone, doesn't work. Acetone dries to quickly. There is no time for the paint to "self level", and the coat turns out too thick
Good luck to all of you!
I will keep you updated

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22200
03/16/06 05:51 PM
03/16/06 05:51 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Been following this thread for awhile. I'm a little confused on one point though. Should one use a primer/sealer or not? I'm in the process of stripping my car to bare metal, and am wondering if I will be just painting the Rustoleum over the metal directly, or primer first? Also, has anyone done the paint over something like Rust Bullet or Por 15?

if the whole car was bare metal, i'd use the rustoleum/tremclad primer, if it's just spots i would not bother with the primer. i've never painted over completely bare metal. but i'd immagine nothing would happen if you just used the paint right over the metal. i've painted over por 15 on some suspension parts no issues, rust bullet i'd think should be no issue.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22201
03/16/06 05:54 PM
03/16/06 05:54 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Hey Guys
Right now I am painting my hole car.
I am using Rustoleum Professional thinned with mineral spirits. And so far so good. The adhesion of the paint is good. I almost can't scratch the paint and I did my second coat this morning. I am painting over Base Coat and Clear Coat without even sanding except for making the surface smooth (the clear coat of my car it is peeling off). I am just using a scratch pad with soapy water and then, when it is dry, cleaning with rag and acetone.
The Rustoleum professional dries in 2 or 3 hours, at least here in Florida with 80 Fahrenheit.
Do not use acetone, doesn't work. Acetone dries to quickly. There is no time for the paint to "self level", and the coat turns out too thick
Good luck to all of you!
I will keep you updated

sounds good, resist the urge to do the scratch test!!! wait about 4 months, i'd bet it'll be fine. the only advise i can say is that i would still sand the car with 400 to remove any wax, ect, and give the new paint something to "grab" onto. post some pics!!!

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22202
03/16/06 05:56 PM
03/16/06 05:56 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

hi all,
new here,but have been reading this post,,,and even trying the painting myself,,i'll try and post a pic.
i'll talk more later about what i used,,,just wanted to see if the pic would upload.

looks good, it'll look amazing after wetsanding/polishing.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22203
03/16/06 06:10 PM
03/16/06 06:10 PM
Warren, MI
J
Jerry Offline
master
Jerry  Offline
master
J

Warren, MI
are these gloss paints being used or just the standard rustoleum ones? i know that on the rustoleum site the specificy gloss black and gloss of other colors but not all of them. does a gloss paint need to used for it to be shiny? i'm thinking of trying this on my satellite when the weather gets better up here in michigan.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Jerry] #22204
03/16/06 06:40 PM
03/16/06 06:40 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

are these gloss paints being used or just the standard rustoleum ones? i know that on the rustoleum site the specificy gloss black and gloss of other colors but not all of them. does a gloss paint need to used for it to be shiny? i'm thinking of trying this on my satellite when the weather gets better up here in michigan.

yes, they are gloss paints, it says on the can what the finish is.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22205
03/17/06 01:53 AM
03/17/06 01:53 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Did you try putting a heat lamp or hitting a spot with a heat gun to see what happens if you accellerate the cure with the heat? I haven't heard of anyone trying it yet, and I found using heat on repairs I had to do was the only way I could get them on the road fast enough.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22206
03/17/06 08:21 AM
03/17/06 08:21 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I've been reading this lately and I just wanted to test this out on a spare door I can get from a junkyard. The only problem I am having is wetsanding, now I understand the grits and spraying down the paper, sanding, then cleaning with the shammy and clean water. But how deep do you want to go when you actually do your first 2 coats then resand with a higher grit. Also I've seen some forums about wetsanding and they said to use soap with a bucket of water, but dont specify on what kind or if it helps / worsens, the situation. 69Charger or anybody else wish to enlighten me?
Thanks

Last edited by Mattthecommie; 03/17/06 08:22 AM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? #22207
03/17/06 09:36 AM
03/17/06 09:36 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
If you have no runs, just wetsand it until it's smooth (you can see this by wiping the area with water or mineral spirits), which normally doesn't take too much paint off. But it removes the gloss, and there's a fresh cut potato smell (!). I had some runs in my most recent test area, and I'm having to wetsand more because I do the whole area, not just where the run is. In that case, sand until the run disappears.

Also when you're wetsanding, when you spray the surface it will be tiny water drops. After sanding, if you spray water, the water will be more evenly dispersed. It's a good way to tell if you've missed an area with your sandpaper. Also I would use a foam sanding block with the 600/800/1500 grit wrapped around it. I have been using that, and it doesn't load up like it might with a hard block.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22208
03/17/06 10:31 AM
03/17/06 10:31 AM
Richmond, Tx. (Houston)
GTSDave Offline
master
GTSDave  Offline
master

Richmond, Tx. (Houston)
I always use a bucket with some dishwashing soap. No particular brand, just what the wife has in the kitchen. I don't use much either. Usually about two tbl spoons to a 5gal bucket.

I also use a spray bottle with a little soapy water. It helps to give your panel a quick spray from the bottle if your sanding block is starting to hang up / stick. Hopefully everyone is using a sanding block! The rubber ones work well. I also use a piece of heater hose with the paper wrapped around it for the curved areas. Finally there are foam sanding blocks that work well for tight spots where a regular block, or hose wont work.

To check how the sanding is going I use a soft squegy (sp) I find it works better than using a cloth to wipe away the water. It also makes seeing the low spots / orange peel very easy.

-Dave

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: GTSDave] #22209
03/17/06 12:44 PM
03/17/06 12:44 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

hi all,
i tried to post a little about my experience earlier,but by the time i got done writing the (novel)and submit it,it wouldnt submit.i do want to thank "69charger"for bringing this method of painting to light. .in he beginning he said it would take patience and practice,and i cant agree more,but after about 4 or 5 weeks of playing around,my project is actually starting to show some promise.thanks again "69charger".

2482732-trucks034.jpg (2407 downloads)
Page 36 of 85 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 84 85