Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Quote:

Since I can't find any non spray clear coat, what do you think about rolling on some spray on clear coat?

ebay link clear coat enamel

ummm, i guess you could try, i'd just be concerned about compatability between the 2 paints, the rustoleum/tremclad is a acklyd based enamel, and that clear is for acrylic enamel, which is typically a single stage process paint. i'd stay away from anything that uses a hardner, things could get ugly!!!! i would just try to cut/buff the paint straight, unless your lucky enough to be in canada and can get the tremclad.

I found that rustoleum does have a clear coat available in non spray, in their industrial line (about $50 a gallon).. but it's not available in CA. Damn. I think I'll have to give the spray a shot since that's the only game in town.. as long as I can wetsand any imperfections out of the spray and it still be glossy, i'll be happy..

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22131
03/10/06 05:10 PM
03/10/06 05:10 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

This is my results so far without using a clear coat

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22132
03/10/06 07:56 PM
03/10/06 07:56 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

This is my results so far without using a clear coat

sweet, i was considering that color too a long time ago. how is the scratch resistance on your paint?

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22133
03/10/06 08:03 PM
03/10/06 08:03 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Looks nice David, appears to be quite a shine. Was this with standard Rustoleum?

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22134
03/11/06 05:41 AM
03/11/06 05:41 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

. when i expiremented with it years ago i thinned with mineral spirits, and the tremclad dude said that will KILL the shine completely. i guess i should have read the can before using it.

What did he say to thin it with instead? Lacquer Thinner as well? Just trying to be a little critical with all the details and questions asked before I start...

Frank.

the paint is thinned with mineral spirits, and the clear coat should be thinned with laquir thinner from what they said.

You mentioned something about the RustOleum Stops Rust being alkyd-based like the Tremclad rust paint that you used. Did the representative mention anything about the Professional Series line?

I was at Home Depot and I couldnt find the gallon version of the Stops Rust paints, only Pints.. but maybe I wasnt looking hard enough...

What I did find was the Professional Series line of the paints w the same color names. Im not sure if those were the same paint base as the Tremclad Rust paint and the RustOluem Stops Rust line.

Just bottom line, I'm wondering what the base of the RustOleum Professoinal Series is...

Frank.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22135
03/11/06 02:55 PM
03/11/06 02:55 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hi!
I hope you don’t mind a “bug guy” joining the party. I wanted to applaud you guys for what you’re doing. You’ve got poor, garage-less Joes like me in three countries cheering!
Wow…an alternative to auto painting that doesn’t require hundreds or even thousands of dollars!

It seems like you’ve stumbled on a variation of the old art of “coach painting.”
Here’s a site that goes more into it:
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk/index.html

There are techniques in coach painting that we may be able to pick up on. The only problem is, the paint that’s used is only available in one country (gee that sounds familiar!) I do see similarities in coach paint to what all of you are working with. What intrigues me is that to get a gloss, coach painters use a certain type of varnish. That may be the key to our common quest. Like EXIT1965, I'm trying to find a clear paint that's brushable and compatible with Rustoleum. The research and experimentation goes on. Good luck amigos!

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22136
03/11/06 03:34 PM
03/11/06 03:34 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Project Beer Fridge - Part 3:

After a few days off, I started up again today. Wetsanded down coat #4 with 400 grit again, mostly because it was a bit messy. I found that the areas that cause me the most trouble are around the attachments (fridge badging, handles) which I taped off. the paint just wants to run no matter what I try. Granted, if I were painting a car I would remove all of the, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to get the fridge doorhandles off without tearing the doors all apart and I was not interested in doing that - all the beer would get warm!

After some sanding down, I went with coat #5 before I ran out of paint. Here are the results after about an hours worth of drying time. It's dry enough for another coat, which I'm fixin to do after posting these images.

2466566-coat-5-1.jpg (2582 downloads)
Re: paint job on a budget!? #22137
03/11/06 03:35 PM
03/11/06 03:35 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Another shot...

2466569-coat-5-2.jpg (2220 downloads)
Re: paint job on a budget!? #22138
03/11/06 03:36 PM
03/11/06 03:36 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

One more picture. Heading out to mix up another batch and put another coat on.

2466573-coat-5-3.jpg (2224 downloads)
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22139
03/11/06 03:48 PM
03/11/06 03:48 PM
London, England
Gavin Offline
top fuel
Gavin  Offline
top fuel

London, England
Dude, you're famous the world over
Clearly this thread has spread all over the web, to other countries and car makes!!

Goes to show what a desire there is for an effective but cheap method of painting! I don't need to paint my car now, but I have used a roller with 2 pack paint (e.g. on my radiator yoke) with acceptable results. Would have been better still if I'd done lots of wetsanding.

Anyway, good job, I've been keeping up and it's good reading.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22140
03/11/06 08:38 PM
03/11/06 08:38 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Okay, since this forum was such an inspiration, I have to ask everyone's opinion. I've been thinking about the stripes to paint on my beloved beer fridge...

Old school or New school stripes?

By old school, I was considering the late 60's/early 70's style of one thick stripe off-centered with an accompanying thin stripe beside or

New School/muscle car look - two wide stripes down center.

Keep in mind, my muscle car days have long been over, in the garage is a '73 240Z. I was thinking old school stripes would kind of add to the "retro" flavor.

Opinions?

Last edited by Ricklandia; 03/11/06 08:40 PM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? #22141
03/11/06 09:09 PM
03/11/06 09:09 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Okay, since this forum was such an inspiration, I have to ask everyone's opinion. I've been thinking about the stripes to paint on my beloved beer fridge...

Old school or New school stripes?

By old school, I was considering the late 60's/early 70's style of one thick stripe off-centered with an accompanying thin stripe beside or

New School/muscle car look - two wide stripes down center.

Keep in mind, my muscle car days have long been over, in the garage is a '73 240Z. I was thinking old school stripes would kind of add to the "retro" flavor.

Opinions?

Old school of course, geeez, how could you ask such a silly question!!!

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22142
03/11/06 09:15 PM
03/11/06 09:15 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Old school of course, geeez, how could you ask such a silly question!!!

LOL

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22143
03/11/06 09:43 PM
03/11/06 09:43 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Hi!
I hope you don’t mind a “bug guy” joining the party. I wanted to applaud you guys for what you’re doing. You’ve got poor, garage-less Joes like me in three countries cheering!
Wow…an alternative to auto painting that doesn’t require hundreds or even thousands of dollars!

It seems like you’ve stumbled on a variation of the old art of “coach painting.”
Here’s a site that goes more into it:
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk/index.html

There are techniques in coach painting that we may be able to pick up on. The only problem is, the paint that’s used is only available in one country (gee that sounds familiar!) I do see similarities in coach paint to what all of you are working with. What intrigues me is that to get a gloss, coach painters use a certain type of varnish. That may be the key to our common quest. Like EXIT1965, I'm trying to find a clear paint that's brushable and compatible with Rustoleum. The research and experimentation goes on. Good luck amigos!

Welcome Bugr.

I called Rustoleum yesterday and asked about the clear enamel.. they told me that the clear, cheap rustoleum enamel was not available in anything but spray. They told me a part # of some industrial clear coat, but I couldn't find it online and I think it wouldn't be available in California anyways.

At walmart yesterday I read label on the can of aeresol clearcoat and it says apply 2 thin coats. I really don't think I'll mess with a clear coat, I can't imagine doing an entire car with spray cans.. twice.. and even then not knowing what will become of the clearcoat in months or years. So as of now I think I'll just go with the paint and turtle wax. for the almond color im interested in it should be OK with the current amount of gloss (which isn't a whole lot).

I am going to do some more experimenting with the professional line also. For the guy above who asked about the professional line, you can buy smaller containers of it at Lowes, and according to Rustoleum, it dries faster. It does seem to do that in my experience. Not sure what the other benefits of it are. Anyways back to experimenting -- the last time I tried a test area with professional, the area was in terrible shape (very uneven) so it was hard to compare it against the standard rustoleum area which looked good and had a nice surface. Soo I've decided to flatten out a nice area on my test door (here is a pic of a fresh skim coat of bondo/fiberglass resin that should do the job), and take a shot with the professional stuff again. If it works out well there should be a very nice smooth reflection on the side of the door like there was on the first area I did with standard rustoleum. I like the fact that the professional seems to dry to a harder finish faster so it's worth a shot.

for anyone still wondering, I can still scrape the standard rustoleum with my nail if I catch it just right. I know the surface wasn't prepped as well, but my nail still cuts all the way to the surface which to me says it isn't hard yet, and it's been damn near a month. Anyways, I don't want to beat a dead horse.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22144
03/11/06 10:56 PM
03/11/06 10:56 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Still following this forum. I said I would post pics. of my progress. They are in my computer, but as yet have found a way to post to this site, will keep trying. Anyway, I have numerous panels that have been sanded down to 2000 grit. I can't scrach the paint. etc. The oldest panel is about 2 weeks old, but when I try to buff, not much happens. I was wondering if the paint needs to cure for 3 months as some would suggest, i.e. before waxing. Maybe I am using the wrong approach, but I am using the cheap polishing compound, and a wool buffing pad. It just tends to ball up. I'm confused, any help with buffing, and the right supplies would help. Thanks.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22145
03/11/06 11:16 PM
03/11/06 11:16 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Still following this forum. I said I would post pics. of my progress. They are in my computer, but as yet have found a way to post to this site, will keep trying. Anyway, I have numerous panels that have been sanded down to 2000 grit. I can't scrach the paint. etc. The oldest panel is about 2 weeks old, but when I try to buff, not much happens. I was wondering if the paint needs to cure for 3 months as some would suggest, i.e. before waxing. Maybe I am using the wrong approach, but I am using the cheap polishing compound, and a wool buffing pad. It just tends to ball up. I'm confused, any help with buffing, and the right supplies would help. Thanks.

What do you mean not much happens? Make sure you're looking at it from a side angle so you can see the effect of polishing, this is where it seems to make the difference. As for technique, I stumbled through it, put some of the polish on the bonnet, wet it down a bunch, then sprayed the panel with water to make sure there was enough moisture, and just ran the buffer over it for a few minutes. It seemed to work for me.

Also are you looking at it under flourescent light? It looks better in natural light, or at least when there's something to reflect when viewing it from the side.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22146
03/11/06 11:48 PM
03/11/06 11:48 PM
Michigan
MNobody Offline
master
MNobody  Offline
master

Michigan
Well i didn't repaint the whole car but it needed some body repairs and the $5500 price tag was not an option so i did the repairs myself and look how i hid them..... see attachment.

2467810-DD008.jpg (2826 downloads)
Last edited by RCRC; 03/12/06 07:11 PM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: MNobody] #22147
03/12/06 01:52 AM
03/12/06 01:52 AM
Kansas
D
dalbers Offline
dalbers  Offline
D

Kansas
Well, I decided to start over because I think I was using the wrong roller, didn't thin the paint enough, and it won't cost anymore except for time. I sanded the hood and got the right rollers and made sure the paint was thin. Just got done with the first coat and I am already a lot happier. Put it on a lot thinner as well. The right roller makes a world of difference. I'll put on a second coat and wetsand it tomorrow and then post some pictures.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: dalbers] #22148
03/12/06 06:07 PM
03/12/06 06:07 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I just found out that Canadian Tire now has tintable base for Tremclad. Picked up some today and started painting the race car. I have thinned it down, really thin and it still lots of color in the mix. I will sand it tomorrow and see how it looks. Blowing on the little bubbles works really well.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22149
03/12/06 08:23 PM
03/12/06 08:23 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

...when I try to buff, not much happens...I am using the cheap polishing compound, and a wool buffing pad...any help with buffing, and the right supplies would help. Thanks.

Hi All...congratulations on bringing this interesting technique to light. I was referred here by a link on hotrodding.com!! I have read every post with interest and decided it was worth a try.

I too am having the trouble described in this earlier post. Everything seemed to be going well until the final wetsand/polish then things went south fast...

a.) wetsand after sixth coat with 1500
b.) buff with "TurtleWax Polishing Compound"

It just does not seem to bring the shine back!! It looks like it does after every other coat/wetsand (dull and scratchy...the areas that haven't been hit during wetsanding shine really nice!). I'm not using a "pro" grade buffer, just one of those $20 orbital buffers w/wool pad like this one. Could this be the problem? Are you guys using variable speed buffers to polish?

To be truthful, I think I would have been better off to skip the final wetsand and just polishing the sixth coat.

HELP!!

Thanks again for the wonderful postings and cheers to all the contributors...Chuck

Page 33 of 85 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 84 85