69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'll look if rustoleum makes the clear and maybe test it out.

They do make the clear. So far I've tried home depot and lowes and they didnt have it except for the can. I am going to see if that kelly moore that carries rustoleum in my area has the clear in pint or quarts.

I may have lied.. I can't find non-spray CLEAR by rustoleum anywhere online, and what I understood about my kelly moore was wrong-they only have the industrial line (and no cheap clear coat of any kind).

Perhaps someone else in the USA makes a clear enamel (it's still an enamel right?) in a non-spray and that can be brushed or rolled on?

Funny thing, I can't find any website that sells tremclad either. Are there laws in canada against selling paint online or something?

this is the stuff i got:
http://www.flecto.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=548&SBL=5

you'll note this line:
Available in alkyd-based brush-grade and aerosol formats.

although there's no picture i have a case of it in liquid brush/spray grade. i think it only comes in quarts (ie, small cans) the label looks exactly like the spray can on the above link.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22111
03/08/06 10:26 PM
03/08/06 10:26 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Tried to get a tight shot of the reflection - not a great shot as it's night and not alot of light in the garage. This is after coats 3 and 4, no sanding. Overall it looks better than the pictures suggest. I need to work on my skills a little more, both painting and sanding, but I'm still optimistic.

2459339-DCP_1853.jpg (2391 downloads)
Re: paint job on a budget!? #22112
03/08/06 10:28 PM
03/08/06 10:28 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Tight shot with a flash reflection. This was taken today after the paint had 24 hours to dry, no sanding done.

not to bad for a first try, obviously since it's just a beer fridge i guess you'd be more concerned with the dog hairs ect....wetsand and paint some more. the finish looks not to bad.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22113
03/08/06 10:58 PM
03/08/06 10:58 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

not to bad for a first try, obviously since it's just a beer fridge i guess you'd be more concerned with the dog hairs ect....wetsand and paint some more. the finish looks not to bad.

Thx. I think the closeup shot is a bit decieving as the original finish on the fridge wasn't glass smooth to begin with. It had that typical pebbled texture all of which didn't come out with the initial sanding. I'd say on the sides where I did my best efforts, the unsanded coats look pretty close to where it started from, so that's encouraging.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22114
03/09/06 04:25 AM
03/09/06 04:25 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Just to show you guys, one of the club4ag guys, beat me to doing a test run with the paint style, and here are some pics. http://forums.club4ag.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=133867

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22115
03/09/06 09:23 AM
03/09/06 09:23 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Just to show you guys, one of the club4ag guys, beat me to doing a test run with the paint style, and here are some pics. http://forums.club4ag.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=133867

Cool, thanks for posting that..
Hard to tell how nice it looks from that far out, but it does look even I had problems with artificial light too. Still I've noticed this paint job can look a bit dull if looking at it straight on, but I am hoping we can test a clearcoat to see how well it'll work to bump up the gloss.

The only thing I've found so far is Rustoleum spray clear coat, so if that's all there is I might have to try it, and see if it lets me wetsand out imperfections once its sprayed but still retains gloss.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22116
03/09/06 11:22 AM
03/09/06 11:22 AM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

that makes me happy to see, someone has done it and is happy. hey, that guy got on the road with a nice ride for $50, my work is done.....

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22117
03/10/06 06:21 AM
03/10/06 06:21 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

. when i expiremented with it years ago i thinned with mineral spirits, and the tremclad dude said that will KILL the shine completely. i guess i should have read the can before using it.

What did he say to thin it with instead? Lacquer Thinner as well? Just trying to be a little critical with all the details and questions asked before I start...

Frank.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22118
03/10/06 09:49 AM
03/10/06 09:49 AM
East Grand Rapids Mich
motorcityjoe Offline
motorcityjoe  Offline

East Grand Rapids Mich
I'm sure it was mentioned, but I dont have two hours to scroll through all these great posts ! What size roller ? I am a finish carpenter and occasionally use the white 4" rounded edge foam rollers when applying oil based paint to my cabinets I use reducer and am impressed by the glossy finish . I'm going to try this on an old hood I have and see what happens. Thanks a bunch.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22119
03/10/06 11:01 AM
03/10/06 11:01 AM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Quote:

. when i expiremented with it years ago i thinned with mineral spirits, and the tremclad dude said that will KILL the shine completely. i guess i should have read the can before using it.

What did he say to thin it with instead? Lacquer Thinner as well? Just trying to be a little critical with all the details and questions asked before I start...

Frank.

the paint is thinned with mineral spirits, and the clear coat should be thinned with laquir thinner from what they said.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: motorcityjoe] #22120
03/10/06 11:03 AM
03/10/06 11:03 AM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

I'm sure it was mentioned, but I dont have two hours to scroll through all these great posts ! What size roller ? I am a finish carpenter and occasionally use the white 4" rounded edge foam rollers when applying oil based paint to my cabinets I use reducer and am impressed by the glossy finish . I'm going to try this on an old hood I have and see what happens. Thanks a bunch.

yes, i use the white, professional high density rollers aprox. 4", and rounded on one end and flat on the other, here's a pic:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/paint/DSC03014.jpg
and another:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/paint/DSC03015.jpg

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22121
03/10/06 11:08 AM
03/10/06 11:08 AM
S.E. Michigan
ZIPPY Online content
I Live Here
ZIPPY  Online Content
I Live Here

S.E. Michigan
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm looking to spend $50 total. Once you start buying hardeners, reducers, etc automotive paint is alot more expensive than a gallon of Rustoleum & a gallon of mineral spirits. The truck is only worth $3500 tops. The Challenger will get painted with top of the line PPG, but the Ram will get Rustoleum or Tremclad at this point.

Check out the Duplicolor line (gallons, limited colors) at Murray's auto parts.

this car was painted with duplicolor paint:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d13/69martin/DSC00194.jpg

but when you factor the paint, primer, primer sealer, and acetone, ect....i still needed to crack into a 2nd can of paint for the beetle. so in the end i spent about $60 x 2 gal of paint, $40 primer, $40 primer sealer, $40 reducers, for a total of $240 in paint. then you have to spray it, which was the main reason i rollered my car in the first place.

but the duplicolor paint was very good paint for the $, i've used it on 2 cars and it's good paint, but for those who don't want to spray, the roller method is the next best thing.

$240 or even $300 is still an excellent deal in my book.
The roller results look amazingly good, but....When I think about how time consuming the prep work is, on a $3500 car I would ante up and spray every time...even if it meant borrowing the gear to do it. Just

The attached was done with Matrix, and was about $500 to $700 in sprayable materials. Epoxy primer, 2k sanding primer, and base/clear urethane....I made a few mistakes on it but it ain't bad....I wanted hardener in every component to try and make sure it would hold up over time.

I'm not trying to pee on the thread, though, so please commence with the roller experiments and have fun Just wanted to mention there are many levels of "budget"......

2463441-polarafall4.jpg (608 downloads)
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: ZIPPY] #22122
03/10/06 11:44 AM
03/10/06 11:44 AM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

$240 or even $300 is still an excellent deal in my book.
The roller results look amazingly good, but....When I think about how time consuming the prep work is, on a $3500 car I would ante up and spray every time...even if it meant borrowing the gear to do it. Just

The attached was done with Matrix, and was about $500 to $700 in sprayable materials. Epoxy primer, 2k sanding primer, and base/clear urethane....I made a few mistakes on it but it ain't bad....I wanted hardener in every component to try and make sure it would hold up over time.

I'm not trying to pee on the thread, though, so please commence with the roller experiments and have fun Just wanted to mention there are many levels of "budget"......

funny thing is that i completely agree with you!!!!, the roller method i did on the charger only because i could'nt fit the damm thing in my garage and confortably have space to shoot the car. the orange beetle i actually only did with the rust paint to see what it would look like orange because that was the original color, but the thing turned out so nice i left it. plus the beetle is a super small car and was really easy to paint with the roller. if i had the space and time, and a booth i would definetly spray, but i don't have a booth, and i'm not too sure spraying in your garage is really that good for you!!! even with a high-end respirator i still got high in 10 mins, and was picking paint colored snot out of my nose for a week, funny how that paint get's into crack and holes you never knew you had. the roller process is very clean, and actually easy to do. it all depends on your situation, with spraying, if you can do it, then by all means do it, i'd highly reccomend using a booth, or at least make a home made ventaliation system or you'll smoke your self out fast!!!! that's the only reason i did'nt spray. i'm not saying i'll only roller paint for the rest of my life, i'm open to spraying or rollering, but it al depends on the situation, for now, i'm sticking with the roller because i'm getting the same results in quality/finish, with less work. besides all the body work is done, if i were to spray the charger tommorow, it would just be a prep and paint, i don't have to re-do the whole car.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22123
03/10/06 01:08 PM
03/10/06 01:08 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I saw this post from a UK Volkswagen Forum and decided to give it a go with the Rustoleum paint. I am keeping a web diary here:

http://www.davidh74.plus.com/beetle1.htm

If anyone would like to contact me please click the link on the right hand bottom side of the web page

David

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22124
03/10/06 01:32 PM
03/10/06 01:32 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hey Guys.
I ain't a Mopar guy since my dad finally got rid of a 1970 Chrysler rolling disaster, but your thread has been very interesting.
I called up Rust-Oleum tech support, and according to them, the Tremclad is made by a company called Tremco and is being phased out. They gave me the Canadian phone number for Rusto-Oleum. They also said there was no direct equivalent for it in the US. Now, it is entirely possible they don't know what they are talking about, but there you have it.
Also note that on this page:
http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=551&SBL=5
the Tremco is described as "Farm Equipment Rust Paint" and this page:
http://www.rustoleum.com/Product.asp?frm_product_id=18&SBL=1
says "Protective Enamel." This page:
http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=36&SBL=1
has Rust-Oleum farm equipment paint but with a much smaller color selection. Being in the private label industry myself, I would also suspect that it may be the same as sold at Tractor Supply under their own label, as TSC certainly does not make their own paint.

So, what's the bottom line? I would venture to say that the stuff sold at Wally World as Rust-Oleum Protective Enamel is not the same as Tremclad and may be why it is not drying as hard or behaving differently. Just my guess.

Dr.Hess

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22125
03/10/06 02:15 PM
03/10/06 02:15 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Since I can't find any non spray clear coat, what do you think about rolling on some spray on clear coat?

ebay link clear coat enamel

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22126
03/10/06 02:27 PM
03/10/06 02:27 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Since I can't find any non spray clear coat, what do you think about rolling on some spray on clear coat?

ebay link clear coat enamel

ummm, i guess you could try, i'd just be concerned about compatability between the 2 paints, the rustoleum/tremclad is a acklyd based enamel, and that clear is for acrylic enamel, which is typically a single stage process paint. i'd stay away from anything that uses a hardner, things could get ugly!!!! i would just try to cut/buff the paint straight, unless your lucky enough to be in canada and can get the tremclad.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22127
03/10/06 02:53 PM
03/10/06 02:53 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I checked the Tractor Supply paint, both the tractor paint and the rust specific paint. Best something or other brand, probably private label as I said. It specifically says on both types to first paint bare metal with their primer. The Rust-Oleum Protective Enamel at Wally World does not say to primer first, just clean and dry it. Both say Mineral Spirits on the can somewhere, either as an ingredient (TSC) or as a thinner (WMT). I did not see any Rust-Oleum brand Farm Equipment paint at either store.

Dr.Hess

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22128
03/10/06 03:44 PM
03/10/06 03:44 PM
KY
adakota4x4 Offline
adakota4x4  Offline

KY
FWIW, the Tractor Supply paint is a Valspar brand.

http://www.valspar.com/val/resident/bps_imp.jsp

They make tractor/implement, barn/fence and truck/trailer. Might be all the same paint, but available in different colors.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: adakota4x4] #22129
03/10/06 04:00 PM
03/10/06 04:00 PM
near Alexandria, VA
G
Gas_Bandit Offline
master
Gas_Bandit  Offline
master
G

near Alexandria, VA
Rust paint clear coat is not very clear, I've used it before. Rustoleum's clear is pretty hazy. It did dry fairly hard though for non-catalyzed paint. I just found Napa has urethane in gallons, any color you want, for $60/gal, and they will mix colors. This is for hardening type 2 part paint. I'll be spraying this soon.

2003 Mercury Marauder, 34k miles, 3.73s and custom flash tuned
1981 Camaro, 350 w/ Holley Stealth Ram MPEFI, Sportsman heads, roller cam, self-burned chips, wideband O2
1983 Firebird TA
1993 Saturn SL2 83k
Page 32 of 85 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 84 85