11/27/16 03:36 AM
11/27/16 03:36 AM
tn
T
timeklr Offline OP
timeklr  Offline OP
T

tn
I was wanting to double check two things on my 1979 slant six(electronic) #1 is should the timing be 0 TDC at idle the internet has almost to much info and the book says check emissions label under hood(right LOL) #2 is I never have had a proper dip stick tube just a brass tube from ace now after several junk yard outing I have several of dif lengths....I read some dodge trucks hold 6qt some hold 5 how do I tell the difference as to which pan I have ? any help would be appreciated on these o so basic ?

Re: 2 basic? timing spec/oil capacity 225 [Re: timeklr] #2203678
11/28/16 01:07 AM
11/28/16 01:07 AM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
I always viewed what the book (or the emission label) gave you for timing as a starting point for timing. Every motor I ever ran across was slightly different then the book or l;able stated when the motor ran its best.

If you have several dipsticks to choose from, change your oil & filter, leaving it down 1 quart, and run the motor to fill the filter. Now, choose a dipstick that shows the oil level at add 1 quart. Then add the quart, and check the dipstick says the oil level is correct.

If you do not have a dip stick that matches the 1 quart low, I would choose the longest dip stick you have, cut the bottom off, and remark it with a punch at the add 1 quart level, and another punch mark after the quart has been added. Gene

Re: 2 basic? timing spec/oil capacity 225 [Re: timeklr] #2204187
11/29/16 01:20 AM
11/29/16 01:20 AM
tn
T
timeklr Offline OP
timeklr  Offline OP
T

tn
gene thank you for the reply my issue is the truck has no sticker and the book says to look at it for timing ....the other is I do not know what the capacity is of the trucks oil pan is if anyone can help me I d it I can then fill it a quart short and find the stick hat matches just not sure how much is a quart low 4. or 5. quarts to start with??? not sure i'm describing issue right thanks again for the response

Re: 2 basic? timing spec/oil capacity 225 [Re: timeklr] #2204272
11/29/16 04:41 AM
11/29/16 04:41 AM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
IMO, forget what the book says about timing. The quick way to do it is to set the total timing at ~3000 RPMs (I'm not sure what that should be for a slant 6), and let the initial fall wherever it does.

Lots of stuff here on setting your timing curve and initial/total/vacuum advance tuning.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
Re: 2 basic? timing spec/oil capacity 225 [Re: poorboy] #2204562
11/29/16 05:12 PM
11/29/16 05:12 PM
Sunny South
N
Noah Zarq Offline
Noah Zarq  Offline
N

Sunny South
Originally Posted By poorboy
If you have several dipsticks to choose from, change your oil & filter, leaving it down 1 quart, and run the motor to fill the filter. Now, choose a dipstick that shows the oil level at add 1 quart. Then add the quart, and check the dipstick says the oil level is correct.

If you do not have a dip stick that matches the 1 quart low, I would choose the longest dip stick you have, cut the bottom off, and remark it with a punch at the add 1 quart level, and another punch mark after the quart has been added. Gene

This is exactly what I did for my 225, as it had a broken dipstick that was about 8 miles long. I used a generic chrome aftermarket Chevrolet dipstick I picked up at Auto Stoned for just a couple bucks, then filed my own notches for full, add, etc. Been that way 8 years now.

Re: 2 basic? timing spec/oil capacity 225 [Re: timeklr] #2204843
11/30/16 12:04 AM
11/30/16 12:04 AM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Originally Posted By timeklr
gene thank you for the reply my issue is the truck has no sticker and the book says to look at it for timing ....the other is I do not know what the capacity is of the trucks oil pan is if anyone can help me I d it I can then fill it a quart short and find the stick hat matches just not sure how much is a quart low 4. or 5. quarts to start with??? not sure i'm describing issue right thanks again for the response

If you are unsure of how much oil the pan holds, I would assume it would hold 4 quarts + one for the oil in the filter, for a total of 5 quarts.

Put 4 in with a new filter, run the motor, and mark the dipstick as the add 1 quart level. Then add a quart and mark the dipstick as the full level.

As for the timing, set it so the motor starts. Disconnect the vacuum advance & plug the hose. Run the motor up to 2500 rpm. Set the total advance at 30 degrees before tdc (according to the old Mopar Performance engine book). Let the engine idle, check the timing. Then reattach the vacuum advance hose and note how much it advances the timing, as you may adjust the timing if you have a ping with the vacuum hose attached. Gene

Re: 2 basic? timing spec/oil capacity 225 [Re: poorboy] #2204958
11/30/16 01:54 AM
11/30/16 01:54 AM
tn
T
timeklr Offline OP
timeklr  Offline OP
T

tn
Originally Posted By poorboy
Originally Posted By timeklr

If you are unsure of how much oil the pan holds, I would assume it would hold 4 quarts + one for the oil in the filter, for a total of 5 quarts.

Put 4 in with a new filter, run the motor, and mark the dipstick as the add 1 quart level. Then add a quart and mark the dipstick as the full level.

As for the timing, set it so the motor starts. Disconnect the vacuum advance & plug the hose. Run the motor up to 2500 rpm. Set the total advance at 30 degrees before tdc (according to the old Mopar Performance engine book). Let the engine idle, check the timing. Then reattach the vacuum advance hose and note how much it advances the timing, as you may adjust the timing if you have a ping with the vacuum hose attached. Gene

Thank you Gene will do, as always the knowledge and opinion of this board is appreciated thanks again.

Re: 2 basic? timing spec/oil capacity 225 [Re: timeklr] #2205454
11/30/16 08:38 PM
11/30/16 08:38 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
I'd set the initial at 15 on ported. iirc the good std ballpark total for a /6 is 32 (initial+slots/can capped). the $22 FBO plate is by far the easiest/cheapest way to set/alter/change the slot lengths (total).

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth