11/23/16 11:31 AM
11/23/16 11:31 AM
N of Detroit
DaveDudek Offline OP
top fuel
DaveDudek  Offline OP
top fuel

N of Detroit
Hello, Who makes a nice quality dash pad for a 71 Cuda?

Dave Dudek
1st Factory Stock legal car in the 10`s!!! [/b]
FAST & Factory Stock Rules: www.fastraces.org

FAST 69 Hemi RR 9.98@139
Re: Quality reproduction Cuda dash pad? [Re: DaveDudek] #2201149
11/23/16 12:54 PM
11/23/16 12:54 PM
Abilene, Texas
F
fastmark Offline
master
fastmark  Offline
master
F

Abilene, Texas
Just dashes is the only way to go for quality. Get yours recovered.

Re: Quality reproduction Cuda dash pad? [Re: DaveDudek] #2201166
11/23/16 01:18 PM
11/23/16 01:18 PM
colorado
S
savoy64 Offline
top fuel
savoy64  Offline
top fuel
S

colorado
word of warning-----when you buy the dash pad they will ask if you want the extra speaker holes---the correct speakers are no longer made--the magnets on them are about one inch in diameter----my friend larry ordered one up then search as he might there are no new speakers to fit----he then decided just to cover the speaker holes with the grills and found those are no longer made----he had to buy a used set off ebay to seal the holes-----fast forward to now---i just bought a cuda driver quality car---previous person ordered up the same dash with holes and one step further ordered one without AC--the car i bought has original AC-so they had to pull out the center vents and cover it with this dash---i am sure the original center vents are now long lost----this may turn out to be a mess because really i would appreciate a car with AC----the previous guy also ordered up a seat cover set and installed it over the original broken down foam inserts----i got a good buy on the car dont get me wrong---the other thing on the new plastic core dashes is they dont have the same contour at the center speaker hole as the stock steel dash did----my persnickety friend sees it and it bothers him----

Re: Quality reproduction Cuda dash pad? [Re: savoy64] #2201295
11/23/16 04:55 PM
11/23/16 04:55 PM
Colorado
D
denfireguy Offline
top fuel
denfireguy  Offline
top fuel
D

Colorado
Originally Posted By savoy64
word of warning-----when you buy the dash pad they will ask if you want the extra speaker holes---the correct speakers are no longer made--the magnets on them are about one inch in diameter----my friend larry ordered one up then search as he might there are no new speakers to fit----he then decided just to cover the speaker holes with the grills and found those are no longer made----he had to buy a used set off ebay to seal the holes-----fast forward to now---i just bought a cuda driver quality car---previous person ordered up the same dash with holes and one step further ordered one without AC--the car i bought has original AC-so they had to pull out the center vents and cover it with this dash---i am sure the original center vents are now long lost----this may turn out to be a mess because really i would appreciate a car with AC----the previous guy also ordered up a seat cover set and installed it over the original broken down foam inserts----i got a good buy on the car dont get me wrong---the other thing on the new plastic core dashes is they dont have the same contour at the center speaker hole as the stock steel dash did----my persnickety friend sees it and it bothers him----
I had a frame with stereo speakers and A/C and discovered the same thing 5 years ago. Crossovers are also hard to find. So I sent it in for the core to get an A/C, non stereo dash pad. The old stereo speakers did not sound all that great anyway.
Craig

2014 Ram 1500 Laramie, 73 Cuda
Previous mopars: 62 Valiant, 65 Fury III, 68 Fury III, 72 Satellite, 74 Satellite, 89 Acclaim, 98 Caravan, 2003 Durango
Only previous Non-Mopar: Schwinn Tornado
Re: Quality reproduction Cuda dash pad? [Re: savoy64] #2201656
11/24/16 04:29 AM
11/24/16 04:29 AM
Sacramento CA
M
Morty426 Offline
master
Morty426  Offline
master
M

Sacramento CA

Finding a 71+ AC core should not be that hard. One that still has the vents. I bet I have one or two.

Re: Quality reproduction Cuda dash pad? [Re: DaveDudek] #2201856
11/24/16 03:21 PM
11/24/16 03:21 PM
colorado
S
savoy64 Offline
top fuel
savoy64  Offline
top fuel
S

colorado
i also have a spare 72 dash with the AC vents in the attic---just hate to part it out---i see the haphazard previous resto work like powder coating a bent wheel--looks nice but it only carries functional flaws forward making the new owner pay more to make it right-----anyone else noticing the center speaker fitment on the plastic core dashes now being sold? i was told that years ago there was a problem with vin tags being stolen off steel dashes sent in for fitment---also told that isnt the problem now.....

Re: Quality reproduction Cuda dash pad? [Re: DaveDudek] #2202886
11/26/16 04:33 PM
11/26/16 04:33 PM
St. Louis, MO
mopardamo Offline
pro stock
mopardamo  Offline
pro stock

St. Louis, MO
What's the approximate price for a Just Dashes recover? My 71 Challenger dash is in decent shape with cracing only around the speaker so I don't think the grinding step will cost me any extra.

Re: Quality reproduction Cuda dash pad? [Re: mopardamo] #2202887
11/26/16 04:41 PM
11/26/16 04:41 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted By mopardamo
What's the approximate price for a Just Dashes recover? My 71 Challenger dash is in decent shape with cracing only around the speaker so I don't think the grinding step will cost me any extra.

Have $1K-$1500 on hand, shipping depending on your location, plus a color, other than black will all cost additional

Re: Quality reproduction Cuda dash pad? [Re: savoy64] #2202904
11/26/16 05:10 PM
11/26/16 05:10 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
-----anyone else noticing the center speaker fitment on the plastic core dashes now being sold

I would tend to think who's plastic core dash you may be referring too?, there's been several sources of mfg's over the decades, with some of the early ones being truly horrible, Alan Foxx (originally known as Ultimate Rides/UR, but later known aka Carolina Dash,aka Superior Dash, aka Dash pros, etc, etc) has been the largest supplier to date of both recovered original steel core and plastic core pads, owning several E bodies, I've been thru the used originals, steel core recovered and plastic core repros always looking for a quality LONG LASTING product, they all have their quirks and issues, I currently do have 2 plastic core E body dashes that I procured thru Ebay via one of Alan Foxx's above named businesses, the oldest being approx 5+ years old IIRC, zero issues with fitment other than trimming out areas to fit components, zero issues with the warpage myth, in regards to the center speaker, zero issues (FYI,their are 2 different factory speaker centers 70, and 71-4)the only difference I have found is in the grain, not as pronounced as an original, but you'd be hard pressed to tell unless you have a side by side comparison

As I stated in the past on this subject, if you are to purchase a plastic or steel core dash from AF currently operating as Dash Pros, do if from Ebay thru PayPal, that way your not waiting, or hunting down your pad or money if you deal directly with Dash Pros

Mike

Re: Quality reproduction Cuda dash pad? [Re: DAYCLONA] #2203673
11/28/16 01:00 AM
11/28/16 01:00 AM
Fort Worth, Texas
xs29j8 Offline
master
xs29j8  Offline
master

Fort Worth, Texas
Originally Posted By DAYCLONA
Originally Posted By mopardamo

Have $1K-$1500 on hand, shipping depending on your location, plus a color, other than black will all cost additional

At the $1500 price, another option... Buy the black NOS E-Body dash pad that I will advertise for sale in the next week. It is a real NOS dadh pad from the final run of Chrysler Parts E-Body replacement dash pads, and are recognizable by not having any access for the "Challenger" or "Barracuda" script logos.