02/20/06 02:58 AM
02/20/06 02:58 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
With a black hood? Cool, im planning the same thing for mine except with a glass cowl hood..

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #21951
02/20/06 03:07 AM
02/20/06 03:07 AM
Texas
GoodysGotaCuda Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd
GoodysGotaCuda  Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd

Texas
Quote:

With a black hood? Cool, im planning the same thing for mine except with a glass cowl hood..

Actually this is with a black hood and slant callout

2412334-AfterDuster2.jpg (649 downloads)

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi, T56 Magnum 6spd - https://www.facebook.com/GoodysGotaHemi
2020 RAM 1500
[img]https://i.imgur.com/v9yezP9.jpg[/img]
Bubbles aren't a problem #21952
02/20/06 06:13 PM
02/20/06 06:13 PM
Texas
Texican Offline
mopar
Texican  Offline
mopar

Texas
If you have to have a special color mixed, which requires the can to be shaken, there is a simple process to remove (ALL) bubbles. If you don't have time to just wait, you can achieve the same (actualy better) results by pulling a vacuum on the paint for 30 minutes - 1 hour.
There are several methods of doing this, but the easiest and (least scientific) is to hook a strong bilge pump to a hose going into the top of your paint can. The seal needs to be (of course) air tight, but that will definately get rid of all bubbles in your paint.
The more scientific way is actually fun to watch; you place your paint in glass jar so you can see the bubbles; sit the glass jar on a table; place a LARGE bell jar over the glass jar full of paint. Cut a hole in the table and pass an air hose through the hole (we used threaded fittings). Hook the hose to a pump and once you started pulling a vacuum, you can see all the air bubbles go to the top of the jar and disappear.
This process is used by the defense dept to apply tough finishes to cruise missles, etc... (Not classified info by the way..)

Good Luck

Re: Bubbles aren't a problem [Re: Texican] #21953
02/20/06 06:30 PM
02/20/06 06:30 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

If you have to have a special color mixed, which requires the can to be shaken, there is a simple process to remove (ALL) bubbles. If you don't have time to just wait, you can achieve the same (actualy better) results by pulling a vacuum on the paint for 30 minutes - 1 hour.
There are several methods of doing this, but the easiest and (least scientific) is to hook a strong bilge pump to a hose going into the top of your paint can. The seal needs to be (of course) air tight, but that will definately get rid of all bubbles in your paint.
The more scientific way is actually fun to watch; you place your paint in glass jar so you can see the bubbles; sit the glass jar on a table; place a LARGE bell jar over the glass jar full of paint. Cut a hole in the table and pass an air hose through the hole (we used threaded fittings). Hook the hose to a pump and once you started pulling a vacuum, you can see all the air bubbles go to the top of the jar and disappear.
This process is used by the defense dept to apply tough finishes to cruise missles, etc... (Not classified info by the way..)

Good Luck

you could also take it into the vacuum of space ahhhhh sorry i just could'nt resist, but he's right, that's a good way to remove bubbles quickly. or you could just mix the paint and not have it shaken.

Re: Bubbles aren't a problem [Re: Texican] #21954
02/20/06 06:51 PM
02/20/06 06:51 PM
AK plates roaming in South TX!...
phoenix70charger Offline
enthusiast
phoenix70charger  Offline
enthusiast

AK plates roaming in South TX!...
Quote:

Good Luck

That does work, that's how I removed the bubbles from the RTV I used on the solar panels I built. Had to remove the bubbles because a bubble would expand in space (on a satellite) and crack/break the solar cells potentially making the whole array useless.

Re: Bubbles aren't a problem [Re: phoenix70charger] #21955
02/20/06 08:46 PM
02/20/06 08:46 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada

That does work, that's how I removed the bubbles from the RTV I used on the solar panels I built. Had to remove the bubbles because a bubble would expand in space (on a satellite) and crack/break the solar cells potentially making the whole array useless.

happened to you too ehhh? when it happened to me it set me back months with my plans to take over the world

Re: Bubbles aren't a problem [Re: Texican] #21956
02/20/06 09:00 PM
02/20/06 09:00 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
I could just picture, bringing the paint in the kitchen, getting out the "good" punch bowl that we use when company comes over, and drilling a hole in the table......then the wife walks in the room and says her typical saying "what the hell are you doing? is that a hole in the table???? " and i reply "oh nothing, just watching paint bubbles come out of the paint, i'll be done in ohhhh.......15 mins" that would be priceless

Re: Bubbles aren't a problem [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #21957
02/20/06 11:32 PM
02/20/06 11:32 PM
Great Lakes State
O
ONEBADBIRD Offline
mopar
ONEBADBIRD  Offline
mopar
O

Great Lakes State
AAAAHHHH bubbles, snow, leaves on the ground in the fall, etc... The things we just loved as a kid are a real pain in the %#$ when we get out into the real world!!!!! as adults. But hey I think I am going to just stick with the Rustoleum paint and just roll with it. After reading the posts from when this thing first started there are numerous guys who said they used this paint. Doing their daily drivers and with no prep or wetsanding and had a decent paint job, but best of all they say their rides are still holding up out in the daily elements. That just shows the durability of this Rustoleum paint I would say.
"Roll-on fellas Roll-on" Jay

Fair winds, and following seas! Red sky at night sailor's delight, red sky in morning sailor take warning! Weather from the West is always best! Weather from the East is not fit for man nor beast!
Re: Bubbles aren't a problem [Re: ONEBADBIRD] #21958
02/20/06 11:35 PM
02/20/06 11:35 PM
Texas
GoodysGotaCuda Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd
GoodysGotaCuda  Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd

Texas
Quote:

AAAAHHHH bubbles, snow, leaves on the ground in the fall, etc... The things we just loved as a kid are a real pain in the %#$ when we get out into the real world!!!!! as adults. But hey I think I am going to just stick with the Rustoleum paint and just roll with it. After reading the posts from when this thing first started there are numerous guys who said they used this paint. Doing their daily drivers and with no prep or wetsanding and had a decent paint job, but best of all they say their rides are still holding up out in the daily elements. That just shows the durability of this Rustoleum paint I would say.
"Roll-on fellas Roll-on" Jay

I'll be doing it to my duster as soon as i get it running and can pull it in the garage when i coat it. Just boughta polisher off ebay for $30 (shipped). I plan on doin the best i can for as cheap as i can

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi, T56 Magnum 6spd - https://www.facebook.com/GoodysGotaHemi
2020 RAM 1500
[img]https://i.imgur.com/v9yezP9.jpg[/img]
Re: Bubbles aren't a problem [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #21959
02/21/06 12:42 AM
02/21/06 12:42 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
I am close to starting this on my dart, with the drivers side fender. Just need to weld some trim holes then bondo them up.. it will be nice to see a straight glossy surface down the fender.

Re: Bubbles aren't a problem [Re: Exit1965] #21960
02/21/06 05:51 PM
02/21/06 05:51 PM
Chicago, IL
TonyS451 Offline
master
TonyS451  Offline
master

Chicago, IL
It's nice to see someone is trying this method and having success with it (Exit1965). Keep the update pics coming! Still not sure why this thread doesn't just get a sticky already.

2 kids and a dog
Re: Bubbles aren't a problem [Re: TonyS451] #21961
02/21/06 06:27 PM
02/21/06 06:27 PM
Texas
Texican Offline
mopar
Texican  Offline
mopar

Texas
My intentions are not to add to the confusion about all the different types of paint that might achieve the same results. If Tremclad was available locally, I wouldn't even bother looking for alternatives, but it isn't, so I am.

I went to my local Sherwin-Williams store and asked what they had comparible to the Tremclad/Rust-o-leum Alkyd paints.

The first thing he did was look on the internet and studied the data sheet for Tremclad, then he showed me their version of the same product (Sherwin-Williams Patent of the same product).
Name: Exterior Alkyd All Surface Enamel A11 Series
The Can states that it controls rust and erosion.

The data sheet states similar cure times as the rust-o-leum products.

I bought one quart of the white and had it tinted seafoam green.

Anyway, I'm testing a 2 ft/sq area of both (Sherwin-Williams brand) as well as the Rust-o-Leum brand on the test subject below. An unrestored 1958 F100 that runs and drives perfect.
Should look good in the old Sefoam green and white.

Re: Bubbles aren't a problem [Re: Texican] #21962
02/21/06 06:54 PM
02/21/06 06:54 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

My intentions are not to add to the confusion about all the different types of paint that might achieve the same results. If Tremclad was available locally, I wouldn't even bother looking for alternatives, but it isn't, so I am.

I went to my local Sherwin-Williams store and asked what they had comparible to the Tremclad/Rust-o-leum Alkyd paints.

The first thing he did was look on the internet and studied the data sheet for Tremclad, then he showed me their version of the same product (Sherwin-Williams Patent of the same product).
Name: Exterior Alkyd All Surface Enamel A11 Series
The Can states that it controls rust and erosion.

The data sheet states similar cure times as the rust-o-leum products.

I bought one quart of the white and had it tinted seafoam green.

Anyway, I'm testing a 2 ft/sq area of both (Sherwin-Williams brand) as well as the Rust-o-Leum brand on the test subject below. An unrestored 1958 F100 that runs and drives perfect.
Should look good in the old Sefoam green and white.

I went to my local sherwin williams too, but they pointed me to a DTM enamel which they only sold in gallons, for indoor/outdoor. I wasn't going to buy a gallon, so I passed. If your test area turns out well with it, perhaps i'll check them out again to see if your product is available here (might be a California thing).

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: C38coupe] #21963
02/21/06 11:55 PM
02/21/06 11:55 PM
Missouri
P
petty43 Offline
enthusiast
petty43  Offline
enthusiast
P

Missouri
http://www.vansicklepaint.com/mntequip.htm

How's this compare to tremclad? It is available at Orscheln Farm and home stores in my area.

1968 Satellite RR Copy Cat My Fleet
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: petty43] #21964
02/22/06 10:52 PM
02/22/06 10:52 PM
Coram, NY
Pool Fixer Offline
master
Pool Fixer  Offline
master

Coram, NY

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: petty43] #21965
02/23/06 11:01 AM
02/23/06 11:01 AM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

http://www.vansicklepaint.com/mntequip.htm

How's this compare to tremclad? It is available at Orscheln Farm and home stores in my area.

i think we should stop comparing other paints, and focus on the tequnique. most enamels will be the same or similar in the way the paint lays, cures, and finishes. so we could spend all day looking for different paints and posting "how does this paint look". if your truly interested in the process and want to paint using this system, then please, buy some of the paint, and post your results here and you tell us!!!! work with what's available to you in your location, take EXIT1965, and 38 COUPE, they have both expiremented with the process and have gone thru the steps, and i'm sure when they find a different paint they will let us know what works. there are hundereds of brands of paints, however the tequnique i assume will be the same if not simmilar for all.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #21966
02/23/06 12:32 PM
02/23/06 12:32 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

i think we should stop comparing other paints, and focus on the tequnique. most enamels will be the same or similar in the way the paint lays, cures, and finishes. so we could spend all day looking for different paints and posting "how does this paint look". if your truly interested in the process and want to paint using this system, then please, buy some of the paint, and post your results here and you tell us!!!! work with what's available to you in your location, take EXIT1965, and 38 COUPE, they have both expiremented with the process and have gone thru the steps, and i'm sure when they find a different paint they will let us know what works. there are hundereds of brands of paints, however the tequnique i assume will be the same if not simmilar for all.

I think it would be interesting to try a different kind of paint entirely - the alkyd based enamels (which Ive read means the same as "oil based") seem to have the same stuff in them. It would be nice to experiment with the super industrial, non California legal stuff

One worthwhile test might be to do 8, 10 or 12 layers instead of just 6. Maybe the "deepness" of the shine has to do with how thick the paint is? I do notice on the test areas that I've done that the gloss left behind by the rustoleum is fairly nice looking, except it's not very smooth, so it's almost like you must wetsand or its not going to look nice. People who have complained that the gloss of rustoleum goes away are probably talking about that gloss left behind on the rustoleum, and haven't wetsanded or polished the paint.

While I'm at it, if I buy a few quarts of the professional rustoleum and combine them in a 1 gallon container (to get a consistent color mixture for the whole car), will the paint last for a few months while I do different parts of the car?

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #21967
02/23/06 12:50 PM
02/23/06 12:50 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
yes the paint will last a few months, just don't put the mixed paint with mineral spirits back into the can. it's not the # of layers that determine the gloss, just how well you wetsand it and polish it, i like to paint the minimum amount of layers so that the paint is as thin as possible and still enough thickness so that you don't wetsand thru the paint and can polish it nice. it only gets better the more effort you put into wetsanding and polishing, so in effect it looks as good as the effort you put into it. alot of people have asked if a particular paint is the same as tremcled, and the answer is i don't know, i only know the tremclad, i think those people should expirement with the process and post their results here so we can know. my question for you exit1965 is how much effort did you really put into your test peice? you had running issues in the begining and sanded it with coarse paper ect...now that you know the process do you thing you would get exponentially better results now that your confortable with the process? i think so, if you take your time and wetsand really well and then polish i'm sure you would have a really nice paint job.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #21968
02/23/06 07:56 PM
02/23/06 07:56 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Im not sure how much more effort could go into the final polish. Would that mean just keep adding more polish and water and spending more time with the orbital polisher?

Yes, personally I think I have learned enough with the experiments to try it for real. I need to keep in mind myself that the first coat should be just as thin as the rest, I think I tended to put too much on to have the color change. That seems to result in a kind of uneven, drippy surface that has to be sanded down.

Best thing I learned was that it's hard to screw up, if you do find too much drippyness, just wetsand it down with 600 or 800 and do a few more layers..

I have a hand punch coming from Harbor Freight that I'm going to use to make chads to weld into the trim holes on my fender. After I do those I should be ready to go..

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #21969
02/23/06 09:13 PM
02/23/06 09:13 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
well the more you wetsand the smoother it will be, then polishing just makes it more shiny, to the more time you put into it the better it will be. as for your trim holes exit1965, you could get a copper block and weld in your trim holes. the weld does not stick to the copper, and the copper block helps disipate heat at the same time to avoid warpage.

Page 24 of 85 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 84 85