02/15/06 11:13 PM
02/15/06 11:13 PM
St Andrews ,Manitoba ,Canada
C
C38coupe Offline
C38coupe  Offline
C

Hello, well I tried to scratch/gouge the Tremclad paint of the top of the can, as well as the overspill on the label, no such luck. On the rim of the can,where the paint was thick, I was able to scratch it off, and it felt softer where it was thicker. On my test piece,I COULD NOT SCRATCH/GOUGE PAINT WITH MY FINGER NAILS",I was able to scratch the paint with a sharp screwdriver, as well I dragged my 3 year olds plastic snow shovel against the whole test area and only made minor impressions into the paint. So this has been my experience with the Tremclad paint trials. As you can see this paint is tough. I spoke with a professional house painter the other day and asked him if he ever used Tremclad in his work. This is what he told me, that he used the tremclad many times in his work, that he even painted the exterior metal storm doors in his own house a few years ago, and they still look great, have not faded nor are they peeling due to adhesion problems. I am not trying to promote Tremclad for the Rustoleum Corporation, but hopefully what I am sharing may be of use to some of you guys considering using this paint on your cars. All the best C38coupe

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: C38coupe] #21911
02/16/06 11:10 AM
02/16/06 11:10 AM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
i would have to agree with c38coupe, all i can vouch for is the tremclad, it is really tough paint, if it's good enough for wheel barows, mail boxes, metal railings, ect, which is made to be exposed to all the elements, it's good enough for my car, maybe even better than auto paint, try painting a rusty mail box with auto paint and see how long it lasts!!! as for the tremclad, i can say that the quality of the paint is excellent, on my 74 orange beetle i had to repaint a fender 3yrs after i painted the car due to a really nasty dent/scratch someone was nice enough to leave me at a parking lot. i bought a small can of the same color and repainted the fender, the paint was a PERFECT color match, 3 yrs later, same color, perfect match. you could not tell which fender i repainted, that has to be a testomony to the manufacture of the paint, that it is extreemly consistient, and very good quality. i've had issues with dupont paints in the same situation where color from the same lot # was different from can to can, just goes to show you that the cheapest paint could be manufactured well, and just because it's labeled "rust paint" does'nt meen that it's garbage.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #21912
02/17/06 12:12 AM
02/17/06 12:12 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I gave this a try, ended up with a ton of tiny bubbles on the cars quarter panel after rolling it. I followed all directions that i have read per 69chargeryeehaa. Are the bubbles a norm?Paint was Rustoleum professional Almond,used mineral spirits,mixed 20%,cleaned surface with mineral spirits. So what did I do wrong?

Re: paint job on a budget!? #21913
02/17/06 01:31 AM
02/17/06 01:31 AM
Central TX
roe Offline
master
roe  Offline
master

Central TX
Quote:

I gave this a try, ended up with a ton of tiny bubbles on the cars quarter panel after rolling it. I followed all directions that i have read per 69chargeryeehaa. Are the bubbles a norm?Paint was Rustoleum professional Almond,used mineral spirits,mixed 20%,cleaned surface with mineral spirits. So what did I do wrong?

He said not to get the paint shaken or you would get bubbles. Did you get it shaken? And he also said that after you down a coat, to let it sit for a minute, then go over it lightly with the weight of the roller only. Did you do that?

Otherwise maybe 69Charger can help you out.

1971 Plymouth Satellite
408/904 8 3/4 3.23 SG
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: roe] #21914
02/17/06 04:04 AM
02/17/06 04:04 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

There is a problem with not having the paint shaken in my situation.

I went to Canadian Tire and they don't have navy blue already pre mixed, so they told me they have to mix regular blue with some other colours (they have the formula there) and shake the whole thing.

What am i supposed to do? Don't they shake the paint from the factory anyway?

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: roe] #21915
02/17/06 04:05 AM
02/17/06 04:05 AM
Texas
GoodysGotaCuda Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd
GoodysGotaCuda  Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd

Texas
Quote:

He said not to get the paint shaken or you would get bubbles. Did you get it shaken? And he also said that after you down a coat, to let it sit for a minute, then go over it lightly with the weight of the roller only. Did you do that?

Otherwise maybe 69Charger can help you out.

I didnt have mine shaken, and i went back over it with a roller and still had a couple bubbles. It was the first coat, so maybe after the next coat that wont happen

oh and i just bought some Smoke Gray rustoleum that im trying out. The paint was a litte thicker than it shoulda been im sure, turned out ok. The next coat will be thinner and it should look better. So normally there is no sanding between the 1st and 2nd coats right? just 2nd and 3rd? I'm using my trunklid for testing

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi, T56 Magnum 6spd - https://www.facebook.com/GoodysGotaHemi
2020 RAM 1500
[img]https://i.imgur.com/v9yezP9.jpg[/img]
Re: paint job on a budget!? #21916
02/17/06 09:42 AM
02/17/06 09:42 AM
Grand Haven, MI
patrick Offline
I Live Here
patrick  Offline
I Live Here

Grand Haven, MI
Quote:

There is a problem with not having the paint shaken in my situation.

I went to Canadian Tire and they don't have navy blue already pre mixed, so they told me they have to mix regular blue with some other colours (they have the formula there) and shake the whole thing.

What am i supposed to do? Don't they shake the paint from the factory anyway?

if they do shake it, I'd let the paint sit for a few weeks in the can to work the air bubbles out before rolling it then

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: patrick] #21917
02/17/06 10:22 AM
02/17/06 10:22 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
The paint I was using wasn't shaken, but when I stirred it up I made a few bubbles which went away pretty quick, I dont think any of them stayed on once i started rolling.

When I roll, I make a few bubbles though and they seem to go away on their own, then when I very lightly roll over the area a minute or 2 after first applying, it evens out the extra tiny glob of paint left by the bubble. The thinner you get the mixture, the quicker the bubbles go away in my experience.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #21918
02/17/06 10:57 AM
02/17/06 10:57 AM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

The paint I was using wasn't shaken, but when I stirred it up I made a few bubbles which went away pretty quick, I dont think any of them stayed on once i started rolling.

When I roll, I make a few bubbles though and they seem to go away on their own, then when I very lightly roll over the area a minute or 2 after first applying, it evens out the extra tiny glob of paint left by the bubble. The thinner you get the mixture, the quicker the bubbles go away in my experience.

you get excessive bubbles if you put too much mineral spirits, also just stir it, if it is shaken in the store wait at least 4 days to let all the bubbles come out of the paint. after you paint, wait 2 mins, and then just use the weight of the roller and go over it, the bubbles can also be eliminated by just gently blowing on them, then using just the weight of the roller over them as exit1965 described. before you paint make sure that you really mix the paint in the pan before you paint, if you think you mixed it enough, mix it again or you'll get excessive bubbles. also when you look in the tray, after you load the roller up and then squeeze the paint out, if you see any bubbles sitting on the top of the paint then you need to use a peice of paper towel, and lightly "skim" the surface of the paint in the pan to get rid of the bubbles, once you do that your good to go for as long as that paint lasts. sometimes i find no matter how well you mix it the mineral spirits rises to the surface. 90% of them are eliminated by mixing, mixing, and mixing again, then mix!!!! if you get excessive bubbles still, then add more paint to the mix to dilute the ratio, that usually means you have a tad too much mineral spirits. and the 2 mins after you paint, the bubbles might be there, once again gently just blow on them, and then just using the weight of the roller, you still may see where the bubble was, but as long as there is no bubble the paint will level. everything takes time, don't expect it to happen instantly, wait 2 mins before you freak out!!! it sounds like a pain in the but, but once you learn how to "read" the paint, and get the feel for it you should be able to to a coat on the whole car (not including the door jambs and trunk...) in 1 hour. i would paint in the morning, then again in the evening, then the next morning wetsand, then paint, then again in the evening; repeat.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #21919
02/17/06 11:27 AM
02/17/06 11:27 AM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
also i just wanted to mention that durring the whole process you may think that it looks like crap, after a coat you may see a little peel, lines ect...but wetsanding eliminates all of this. after you wetsand, take a rag soaked with meneral spirits and whipe the whole car down, when it's wet it gives you an idea of what it will look like polished. before i paint another coat after wetsanding i whipe down the car with mineral spirits, that super cleans the surface from any residue, also i use a tack cloth to whipe down the area to get rid of any dust. another tip when wetsanding, i would say the stages for wetsanding are: 2 coats, wetsand with 600-800 grit lightly, then 2 more coats, and wetsand with 800grit, then 2 coats and final wetsand with 1000grit, then buff and polish. when i wetsand i have a spray bottle with straight water and constantly spray the surface, also i have a bucket of water that i often rinse the sand paper in, and yet another bucket of water with a shammy that i use to whipe down the area i was just sanding. it's alot eaiser to clean off the wetsanding residue while it's wet. also when your wetsanding, when you first start off you feel that the paper just "glides" over the surface, as you continue to wetsand you feel the sandpaper "bite" more, and the water starts to be the color of the paint your using. wetsand gently, i just use a peice of sandpaper about 6"x6" and do it by hand. when i used a block i found the sand paper gets plugged, so do it by hand or when the sandpaper gets plugged up you scratch the paint. i find one peice of sand paper does about 1/4 of the car, or about 1 sheet does the car. as you go to the finer paper, expect to use double the amount of sandpaper. one last thing before i wrap up this book, be very light with sanding on contours of the body lines of the car, and stay away from the contours until your just about done, otherwise you'll go right thru the paint on the contours. that about covers it, good luck

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #21920
02/17/06 12:08 PM
02/17/06 12:08 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I had stirred with a paint paddel, not shaken. Also, I bought this at lowes and I asked someone in the paint dept. if this could be tinted, my responce was no way, but I have read that you guys are getting your paint tinted ,whats up?

Re: paint job on a budget!? #21921
02/17/06 12:44 PM
02/17/06 12:44 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

I had stirred with a paint paddel, not shaken. Also, I bought this at lowes and I asked someone in the paint dept. if this could be tinted, my responce was no way, but I have read that you guys are getting your paint tinted ,whats up?

I have heard that from lowe's too. Keep in mind you can tint to your hearts content by mixing the paint colors yourself. e.g get some red, add a bit of yellow and get a reddish orange. obviously if I was going to do a whole car i'd start with a gallon of the base color so I could use the same mix on the car.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #21922
02/17/06 04:18 PM
02/17/06 04:18 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
in canada, tremclad is available in a tint base:
http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?frm_product_id=555&SBL=5

from that site:
"Available in Masstone, Pastel, Red and Yellow bases
Specially formulated to offer from 80 to 104 custom colours
Can be used on previously painted or sound metal surfaces; can also be used on wood surfaces
Long lasting protection and beauty
Using a TremcladŽ Primer will increase the rust preventative quality of the coating
Excellent adhesion
Available in high gloss alkyd-based enamel format "

i guess we just have it better in canada!!!

Re: paint job on a budget!? #21923
02/17/06 04:22 PM
02/17/06 04:22 PM
Northwest Chicago Suburb
DaDart Offline
mopar
DaDart  Offline
mopar

Northwest Chicago Suburb
I was at Lowes, Home Depot , and Menards and they sell the base tint and will color match.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: DaDart] #21924
02/17/06 06:08 PM
02/17/06 06:08 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

The paint guy at the Lowes I was at told me they will not tint this paint. Guess I'll try another store till I find someone that will.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #21925
02/18/06 04:47 PM
02/18/06 04:47 PM
Watertown, WI
MikeyT Offline
master
MikeyT  Offline
master

Watertown, WI
So I'm confused are people using Tremclad or Rustoleum? Or is there even a difference?

Mike

1969 Dodge Dart Swinger
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: MikeyT] #21926
02/18/06 05:15 PM
02/18/06 05:15 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

So I'm confused are people using Tremclad or Rustoleum? Or is there even a difference?

Mike

tremclad is sold in canada, and rustoleum is sold in the USA, but it's the same manufacturer.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #21927
02/18/06 07:04 PM
02/18/06 07:04 PM
C
C38coupe Offline
C38coupe  Offline
C

Heres the scoop between Rustoleum Paint, ( made in the USA), and Tremclad Paint, made in Toronto Ontario Canada (aka Hogtown). The Rustoleum Corporation USA owns the Tremclad operation in Canada. The Tremclad paint is made in Canada in thier plant in The City of Toronto. It is a very diffferent paint than Rustoleun, both are made, sold and marketed as a rust paint, that you can use over metal wood fibreglass,wives , kids, bosses etc, sticks like!!!!!!!!! to a blanket. The resin in Tremclad is of a long oil base in chemical nature, thus does well when thinned with mineral spirits. The Tremclad company recommends you thin this paint to 10% for the purpose of spray application, usually 1 or 2 coats. The roller technique, employed by people like us was unknoun to the Tremclad chemists. But they did state, that by using the paint this way would infact create a very good bond,very hard surface and a nice finish to work with. So I believe Charger has been very ingenious in discovering this method, ( should be patented), so hats off to you Charger. Now getting back to the Rustoleum paint made and sold in the USA, it is of an arcrylic resin in its basic chemical make-up, so there is definately a difference in the 2 paints, which could be why some results in this application may vary. I hope this helps some of you guys with your questions. You will not be able to buy Tremclad in you retail stores that sell Rustoleum, but you could have Rustoleum order it for you I believe.......Roll on Brothers Roll on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: C38coupe] #21928
02/18/06 07:23 PM
A Happy Place, A Happy Place, ...
57Plymouth Offline
master
57Plymouth  Offline
master

A Happy Place, A Happy Place, ...
Guys I have been reading this post, but I didn't feel that my input would be helpfull. It may still not be, but I am going to give it anyway.

I painted my ragged old Ford 900 farm tractor 4 years ago with the red Rustoleum paint that has been used in this discussion. I did not thin it, and I sprayed it with a very very poor quality conventinal suction paint gun. This was literally an attempt to make the tractor look a little better since I had just rebuilt the engine and replaced the clutch. I was so happy with the results, that I took the time to get the correct contrasting grey color and painted the tractor the proper way. The stupid thing still looks good when I take the time to pressure wash it clean(ish). Now this is a work horse, not a show tractor. The paint has held up far better than anyone expected. It is worn off on the pedals and running boards. It is scratched in places where limbs and branches have hit it. But it still looks respectable. I had enough left over from the gallon I bought to put a quick coat on a junk work truck (that I acutally bought as a parts truck for my project truck). I regularly drive this truck through the woods, and don't stop for saplings or blackberry thickets. It is also scratched, but the paint still sticks. I did not do a good prep job. I didn't even wash it. I gave it a quick scrub with a scothbrite pad, blew the dust off with the air hose, and sprayed the paint at it. The paint stuck very well. If I had taken at least some time to do a halfway good job, it would have been very presentable wihtout sanding at all. The two front fenders and driver's door on this truck were stripped to bare steel to be used on my project truck. They had too much filler, too many very bad dents, and too many slide hammer holes for me to bother with for my good truck, so I slapped them on the junker. They recieved no primer, and have not rusted in three years. The paint works. If you care to take the time it could make for a good looking driver. I doubt it can get good enough for a show car, but for a daily driver it would be cheap and easy to use.

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: C38coupe] #21929
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Heres the scoop between Rustoleum Paint, ( made in the USA), and Tremclad Paint, made in Toronto Ontario Canada (aka Hogtown). The Rustoleum Corporation USA owns the Tremclad operation in Canada. The Tremclad paint is made in Canada in thier plant in The City of Toronto. It is a very diffferent paint than Rustoleun, both are made, sold and marketed as a rust paint, that you can use over metal wood fibreglass,wives , kids, bosses etc, sticks like!!!!!!!!! to a blanket. The resin in Tremclad is of a long oil base in chemical nature, thus does well when thinned with mineral spirits. The Tremclad company recommends you thin this paint to 10% for the purpose of spray application, usually 1 or 2 coats. The roller technique, employed by people like us was unknoun to the Tremclad chemists. But they did state, that by using the paint this way would infact create a very good bond,very hard surface and a nice finish to work with. So I believe Charger has been very ingenious in discovering this method, ( should be patented), so hats off to you Charger. Now getting back to the Rustoleum paint made and sold in the USA, it is of an arcrylic resin in its basic chemical make-up, so there is definately a difference in the 2 paints, which could be why some results in this application may vary. I hope this helps some of you guys with your questions. You will not be able to buy Tremclad in you retail stores that sell Rustoleum, but you could have Rustoleum order it for you I believe.......Roll on Brothers Roll on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for all the compliments, but i have a question, where did you get this info from? i think that EXIT1965 got basically the same results that i got, using the same tequnique, simmilar finish, and from what i read of his post encountered the same issues like bubbles, ect...so that being said the only issue that exit1965 had was the durability of the paint, and that he was able to scratch it off. i can say that when i painted my car i probally could have scratched it off too, but after a month or so it was rock hard. i know this because i noticed when i was assembling the 74 beetle, that the paint would "dent" eaisly, but i did'nt try to scratch it off. i honestly think there is alot of different types of rustoleum in usa, rust fighter, rust cover, ect....so i think that what exit1965 used is the same as i used; aka tremclad. i'm just glad i found the tremclad, and that it works for me. as for the pattent, i've filed the papers!!! just kidding. i have to say the paint is really awesome, and holding up really well. even on the 1974 beetle, in the back alot of people have issues with paint cracking and peeling due to the extreem heat from vw rear air cooled engines, but i can say mine is perfect. i'm curious to see how exit1965's paint tests in lets say a month, i bet it would'nt scratch off at all.

Page 22 of 85 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 84 85