Topeka Kansas
K
ksj Offline
master
ksj  Offline
master
K

Topeka Kansas
They tried to hassle my Grandma with her 70 year old horse blanket.She was 83 at the time.Grandpa said if you can get it from her you are a bigger man than me.I think you can make it.-Don

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: ksj] #21871
02/14/06 06:57 AM
02/14/06 06:57 AM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Hey if someone wants to try it I can run down to Canadian Tire and buy a one quart of tremclad and ship it to you. I can "creatively" package it so it gets thru the border, lol. Lol, shipping a full gallon of it would cost some $$$ though.

Re: paint job on a budget!? #21872
02/14/06 10:50 AM
02/14/06 10:50 AM
Williamsport PA North Central ...
13ChargerR/T AWD Offline
master
13ChargerR/T AWD  Offline
master

Williamsport PA North Central ...
Quote:

Can someone refer me to a shop or individual who would do a decent job(minor body work) and spray my '69 GTX on a 3-$4,000.00 budget that I have to hold to? Am I way out of line to think someone would do it for this amount? I live approx. 1 hr. north of Detroit. If anyone could help me out I'd really appreciate it in a BIG WAY!! Please p.m. me or call 810-392-3781 Sincerely, Randy Borawski

Noe im sorry I can't refer you to a shop BUT you are NOT way out of line asking that...BUT it will probably take all of that depending on the body work and the prep you can do. Also ask a local Mopar club or go to a car show make some friends and ask them. I got my RoadRunner painted by a guy that was just opening his shop. I think I was his first real Muscle Car paint job. My car had previously been taken to bare metal primered and the panels that neded replacing(both quarters both inner/outer rockers,lower fender patches,door patch) so it was pretty much "ready".

He went back over took it back down to primer smoothed it out where needed(id go over on my days off and help remove trim,bumpers,etc). He painted it B3 blue base clear we put all the trim back on and he charged me $1000 to paint it. The Dart Sport is definately not a "pro" job but its a decent paint job for a "home done" one and that cost about $800-1000 in parts/tools/paint but was also not done in a shop.

When I was getting the RoadRunner painted the first time(different guy from above) for taking it down to bare metal, doing minor body work smoothing it back out painting it I was quoted
$3500-4000. Unfortunately you find stuff more wrong than you may think when you get to the bare metal stage. I found instead of minor body work I needed 2 quartters/rockers/fenderpatches etc so it put the job out of my $$$ range for that time.

BUT for the original job I still have the estimate. it was

1.Take car down to bare metal: remove doors,trunk lid,hood,trim,bumpers,etc for painting $1000

2. Prep car for paint: listed the ammount of cut off wheels, sand paper, primer,filler etc that they used and was very detailed(would say stuff like 3 wire wheels,7 sheets of 800 grit paper ..so you really knew what they were using) this included getting it to the state where it was ready to lay down the paint so all the boarding. $1500

3.Paint car: this included all materials they used to paint the car and then wet sand it when done it was a base clear and was going to be a dark blue. $1000

4.Reassemble after paint: this was to put everything back to where it was EXCEPT I told them to get everything on to make it road worthy and id do the small trim parts myself I don't know if id really save myself any $$ by putting the grill,door trim,belt mouldings,etc back on but I thought it would give me something to do and learn about so they said $500

total $4000 so yeah IF everything had been good under the primer when I was getting it done no quarters rockers etc id have had a good paint job for $4000.

You will NOT get this price from a major restoration shop or from a shop that does "only" show car paint jobs thats that stuff where guys quote $10,000+ but YES IMO if you look around and make some Mopar friends you can get a decent job for what your asking.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #21873
02/14/06 12:07 PM
02/14/06 12:07 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

I thought back, and I thought I could have done enough wrong with my first test to have my paint turn out as easily scratchable as it was. On my test area, I preped the surface with 150 then dusted with a rag, and I used water to clean the foam roller (not a good idea, and not fun). It could be I had dust left on the surface, and/or got some water mixed in with the paint mixture as I applied it (since I reused a roller that had some water hiding in it).

so I'm trying it again using the same stuff, but this time I'm using only mineral spirits to clean the roller, and I sanded the surface with 80, then 240, then cleaned it with mineral spirits and a rag and let it dry.

So I've just applied the first coat..and I'll scratch test each coat until I'm done.

I wonder how the "clear" rustoleum would do, if applied full strength (or thinned?) over a 6 coats of thinned color (+ wetsanding). It might help a bit with gloss or add to scratch resistance.

well i can tell you this, after prepping the car i do clean the car with a rag soaked in mineral spirits because it does a good job removing old wax, and other deposits that could hamper the adhesion of the new paint. i can say that i did notice now that i think about it that when i reassembled the car the paint was still quite soft, where in some spots if for example if i mounted a mirror it would "dent" the paint. but this was on my beetle that i did in the dead of winter. now, the paint is rock hard, but shortly after it was done it was'nt. it does need time to cure, it takes about a month to harden i would guess, but that depends on the temperature, how much mineral spirits, ect...since the paint does "solvent dry", which is why i used that paint in the first place. i can say that despite all this, the paint is perfectly stable to be wetsanded overnight, and buffed the next day after application and even waxed, even though the paint is'nt completely "hard" it seems totally inert and is not effected by waxing before it is totally "cured". i only know this because i've painted like 5 cars this way and never had a problem. as for using the "clear" coat, i know it's made by the same company, and specifically designed to be used over this paint, but i think once you apply it, the workability of the paint ends there. besides i did try a fender a long time ago with the clear coat and did'nt really notice a difference in the end product, it was no more "shiny" that the part with just the paint. also like i said, if you get a scratch later, and you have a clear coat it would be really hard to touch it up and then wetsand and polish it out. trust me i had to do this several times when i got scratches, and when people open doors on my car in a parking lot. i've become so good at it that i could repair a chip right thru the paint and you'd never know where it was. when you finish with just the paint, at anytime down the road if it ever gets dull, or scratched, all you do is buff and polish and the paint once again is new.
i'm not a sciencetist, but i do know this stuff works and is extreemly durable. remember that by the time you get the rest of the car done, and all together that paint will be hard. i was originally told to use this paint by a body shop that was painting my 1968 mustang and under the vinyl roof they gave me the option of painting with some special ppg stuff that would cost me an extra $200, or just use rust paint. it was a "old timer" biker dude that was painting my car and he said the new tremclad (at the time about 13yrs ago) was a acrylic enamel or something like that, he said it is the same stuff as any other and i should just use that and save some $$$. i agreed and it was only a few years later when i had to paint my 85 honda crx, that my wife said lets just paint it using a roller, at the time i was broke, and my car looked like crap with the original paint that was really bad. in one day i rollered the car with my wifes help at my cottage, it was white, and we painted it black, no wetsanding nothing , and the car looked great, drove it for another 3 yrs on that paint job and it looked awesome.

exit1965- honestly if your happy with your test pannel results, based on only apperance, shine, and think you could pull off doing the whole car the same way, i guarantee that you will like the end result, you seemed to pull off a good system and i have confidence that you can do a really good job. don't be worried about the paint and how it chips and scratches now only a week after painting it, trust me it gets rock hard, "i'm not only the president, i'm also a client"

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #21874
02/14/06 12:54 PM
02/14/06 12:54 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
69charger - I think you're right, I need to let it set for awhile before I try to scratch test it, and I was happy with the look that it had and the ease of application.

The most convenient option is to switch to the "professional" line at Lowes to get even better scratch resistance (supposedly) without going to an industrial type. I was looking at a can of the professional stuff the other day, and it says to thin with Acetone.. didn't mention mineral spirits.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #21875
02/14/06 01:04 PM
02/14/06 01:04 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

69charger - I think you're right, I need to let it set for awhile before I try to scratch test it, and I was happy with the look that it had and the ease of application.

The most convenient option is to switch to the "professional" line at Lowes to get even better scratch resistance (supposedly) without going to an industrial type. I was looking at a can of the professional stuff the other day, and it says to thin with Acetone.. didn't mention mineral spirits.

honestly i would stick with the paint your using, it's what i know works. i'm almost 100% sure that your using the same stuff i used (ie. tremclad) the professional stuff is thinned with acetone, and i think it is very different paint. trust me, this paint is rock hard when fully cured, i would say it is at least 3 times more scratch resistant than any modern car that has a base/clear paint job. like on my 2002 mustang gt, you could put a empty box on it and slide it scratching the car. i know you might doubt me but i can honestly say it is really tough. stick with what is working, if your happy with it just do it, a few months later, maybe faster if it's hot where u are and if you leave it in the sun alot, you will be extreemly impressed with how hard the paint gets. even if you use the paint straight out of the can, like i have on a motor cycle tank, it does stay "soft" longer, but eventually hardens the same, only it takes longer. do the car, by the time you put it all back together and have it on the road the paint will be fully cured, stick with the paint your'e using.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #21876
02/14/06 01:13 PM
02/14/06 01:13 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

honestly i would stick with the paint your using, it's what i know works. i'm almost 100% sure that your using the same stuff i used (ie. tremclad) the professional stuff is thinned with acetone, and i think it is very different paint. trust me, this paint is rock hard when fully cured, i would say it is at least 3 times more scratch resistant than any modern car that has a base/clear paint job. like on my 2002 mustang gt, you could put a empty box on it and slide it scratching the car. i know you might doubt me but i can honestly say it is really tough. stick with what is working, if your happy with it just do it, a few months later, maybe faster if it's hot where u are and if you leave it in the sun alot, you will be extreemly impressed with how hard the paint gets. even if you use the paint straight out of the can, like i have on a motor cycle tank, it does stay "soft" longer, but eventually hardens the same, only it takes longer. do the car, by the time you put it all back together and have it on the road the paint will be fully cured, stick with the paint your'e using.

You're the man when it comes to this, and what you suggest makes sense to me. The stuff I used I was happy how it looked and how it went on.. I will do the same process on my new test area then stick it outside in the sun for awhile. I need plenty of time to do bodywork, welding and grinding anyways so I can wait a bit.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #21877
02/14/06 01:20 PM
02/14/06 01:20 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

You're the man when it comes to this, and what you suggest makes sense to me. The stuff I used I was happy how it looked and how it went on.. I will do the same process on my new test area then stick it outside in the sun for awhile. I need plenty of time to do bodywork, welding and grinding anyways so I can wait a bit.

i'd just get on the body work so your car could be done. faster you paint your car, the faster your crusin

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #21878
02/14/06 03:45 PM
02/14/06 03:45 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Exit1965- did yo ever mention the type of paint you used?

Re: paint job on a budget!? #21879
02/14/06 04:14 PM
02/14/06 04:14 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
I did- I used the cheap Rustoleum enamel "rust fighter", not the "professional".

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #21880
02/14/06 05:24 PM
02/14/06 05:24 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
a non member emailed me this:

Thank-you for contacting Rust-Oleum Consumer Brands Canada
The Rustoleum Stop Rust and the Tremclad are both about the same products, They are both Alkyd oil based products However the Stop Rust is not sold in Canada and the Tremclad is not sold in the United States.

You will not find the colour you are looking for in Canadian retailers.
If you have any other questions please contact us at 1-800-387-9879.

Regards,
Rust-Oleum Canada Technical Support"

Thanks again
~Steve

so i think EXIT1965 is using the same paint as i did. that should clear it all up rust fighter and stop rust are the same product, just labeled differently in different states. so use the stop rust/rust fighter if you want the equivelant paint that i used; tremclad

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #21881
02/14/06 06:09 PM
02/14/06 06:09 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

The Rustoleum Stop Rust and the Tremclad are both about the same products, They are both Alkyd oil based products However the Stop Rust is not sold in Canada and the Tremclad is not sold in the United States.

Regards,

Thanks again
~Steve

so i think EXIT1965 is using the same paint as i did. that should clear it all up rust fighter and stop rust are the same product, just labeled differently in different states. so use the stop rust/rust fighter if you want the equivelant paint that i used; tremclad

I talked with Rustoleum tech support a bit earlier. I got only fuzzy answers. I asked what the difference between the "professional" and not was, and she told me at first that the professional is available in gallons and dried quicker. I asked if the "dried quicker" applied to the non-spray version and she said yes. She didn't mention anything about durability until I asked her, then she said "the professional is for more industrial applications so the durability is better". talk about fuzzy. it did sound nice though.

She also said that despite the "professional" can not mentioining mineral spirits, they test with both acetone and mineral spirits so min spirits should be fine.

So I think, since I'm a bit of a ways off of painting yet, I'll try the process with the professional stuff and mineral spirits. The price difference is only about $1.20 for the smaller container and if it is any more durable that will be welcomed and will obviously be worth the price difference. I will find out if it will shine like the cheaper stuff did, and the durability can (should) only be better.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #21882
02/14/06 06:32 PM
02/14/06 06:32 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
One thing to add about scratch resistance. I used the regular tremclad I had laying around, in an almondy color similar to what exit1965 used. I used this about two years ago on my Satellite, but I did it to coat the inside of the floors. The color's under the rug so I don't see it, but I used it because the floors had some surface rust starting. Used a wire wheel to take it off then tremcladed it. I can speak about the cure time on that one. During the day I left the windows open and often the doors open as well. After a week like that if I closed up the windows/doors for a hour or so, the interior would still smell like paint. Threw my rug in and re assembeled my interior. It still smelled like a hint of paint for the next several weeks, but then was gone. And I noticed that before I put the rug back in, which was at the one week mark, the paint was still soft feeling. Not tacky, but soft. Granted, I did put the paint on straight with no watering down, but I can for sure say from my experience that it takes at least a good month to fully cure.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #21883
02/14/06 10:36 PM
02/14/06 10:36 PM
Bellevue, WA
B
Blackwidow69 Offline
Ring Knocker
Blackwidow69  Offline
Ring Knocker
B

Bellevue, WA
Exit1965, I have to say that it is really strange about the Acetone and mineral spirits thing. I have two cans of the professional here in my house. The flat black from just last fall and they both say to thin with Rustoleum thiner and cleaner or mineral spirts. And do not thin with gasoline, lacquer thinner, turpentine etc.
I also read the label closer and there is a small block on the side labeled NJ and PA right to know. And guess what it says the professional line has in it-Alkyd Resin. While right on the front it says oil based so it appears that oil based can also be alkyd based and that our products are probably similar to the Tremclad. Anyway no pressure but we are awaiting your test panel with the professional line to see if there is a difference.
Todd

1969 Ply Roadrunner, 383 4-speed on street tires. 3,830 lbs race weight. Best 1/4: 13.1 @ 106.83 440 & overdrive 4 speed going in. 2005 Power Wagon 35X12.5 KM2's
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Blackwidow69] #21884
02/14/06 11:20 PM
02/14/06 11:20 PM
Dirty South, MS
mopowered Offline
mopar
mopowered  Offline
mopar

Dirty South, MS
Am very excited myself about this thread. Has to be one of my most-watched threads here on Moparts. I've made arrangements to go look at / purchase a '66 Coronet 440 tomorrow which I'm planning to roll the entire car in gloss black Rustoleum. I've already purchased a quart at Home-Depot and plan to do the floorpans first to check results. My can is white w/black and red lettering that has "RUST-OLEUM" and "STOPS RUST" both trademark logos right on the front w/the words "PROTECTIVE ENAMEL" just under those logos. Further down are "Superior Durability", "Premium Quality", and "OIL-BASED". On the back it says to thin with mineral spirits or acetone and to clean brush, ROLLER and other tools with mineral spirits.

If everything works out w/my floorboard tests - I'll be picking up a few gallons in several different colors just in case the supply drys up like was mentioned in some locales.

Thanks again for the tips - and pictures of my new Coronet will be coming soon!

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #21885
02/15/06 12:22 AM
02/15/06 12:22 AM
Red Bluff, CA
W
WilliamHall Offline
super gas
WilliamHall  Offline
super gas
W

Red Bluff, CA
Quote:

Quote:

Regards,

Thanks again
~Steve

I talked with Rustoleum tech support a bit earlier. I got only fuzzy answers. I asked what the difference between the "professional" and not was, and she told me at first that the professional is available in gallons and dried quicker. I asked if the "dried quicker" applied to the non-spray version and she said yes. She didn't mention anything about durability until I asked her, then she said "the professional is for more industrial applications so the durability is better". talk about fuzzy. it did sound nice though.

She also said that despite the "professional" can not mentioining mineral spirits, they test with both acetone and mineral spirits so min spirits should be fine.

So I think, since I'm a bit of a ways off of painting yet, I'll try the process with the professional stuff and mineral spirits. The price difference is only about $1.20 for the smaller container and if it is any more durable that will be welcomed and will obviously be worth the price difference. I will find out if it will shine like the cheaper stuff did, and the durability can (should) only be better.

I know I said this before but the professional version of Rustoleum is far more durable than the standard. I used it from a spray can. I hated the standard version because of its lack of durability, and found myself painting things 2x and 3x. Now I spend the extra money, get the professional, and paint it 1x

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Blackwidow69] #21886
02/15/06 01:06 AM
02/15/06 01:06 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Exit1965, I have to say that it is really strange about the Acetone and mineral spirits thing. I have two cans of the professional here in my house. The flat black from just last fall and they both say to thin with Rustoleum thiner and cleaner or mineral spirts. And do not thin with gasoline, lacquer thinner, turpentine etc.
I also read the label closer and there is a small block on the side labeled NJ and PA right to know. And guess what it says the professional line has in it-Alkyd Resin. While right on the front it says oil based so it appears that oil based can also be alkyd based and that our products are probably similar to the Tremclad. Anyway no pressure but we are awaiting your test panel with the professional line to see if there is a difference.
Todd

Yes I should have some results by the weekend sometime.

I bought the quart of professional today at lowes, V7570 almond (a number I cannot find anywhere online..). It says thinning not needed for brush or roller, if sprayed, thin up to 15% with acetone.

This one doesn't say anything about alkyd resin that I can find, it does say that "the product contains chemicals known to the state of calfornia to cause cancer..". I am guessing various states have various legal things written on the paint cans, I do wonder if the mixtures are all the same. This can says Max VOC 450 g/l.

William - glad to read that this professional stuff is more durable in your experience. Who knows, if it comes out nice we may be packing this stuff up and sending it to our friends in Canada.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #21887
02/15/06 02:14 AM
02/15/06 02:14 AM
Southeast PA
5wndwcpe Offline
pro stock
5wndwcpe  Offline
pro stock

Southeast PA
My God, is this post still going on?

1968 GTX hardtop
1968 Sport Satellite Convertible 383/4spd
1933 Plymouth coupe
2002 Ram 2500 oil burner 4x4
2015 Grand Cherokee
2013 Challenger
1957 Chrysler Saratoga

Man...I need a bigger freakin' garage.
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 5wndwcpe] #21888
02/15/06 02:22 AM
02/15/06 02:22 AM
Central TX
roe Offline
master
roe  Offline
master

Central TX
Is this post going to be in the Best of Moparts? IT really should be. Will someone please ask a mod.

1971 Plymouth Satellite
408/904 8 3/4 3.23 SG
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 5wndwcpe] #21889
02/15/06 02:23 AM
02/15/06 02:23 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Yeah it's still going on, and it's excellent! This is the true spirit of hot rodding, even if it is just paint.

Page 20 of 85 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 84 85