Cruising!
Q
QuickDodge Offline
super stock
QuickDodge  Offline
super stock
Q

Cruising!
Hey 69 Charger, Thanks SO MUCH for posting this info and answering all the questions. I've read and re-read this thread and have taken notes!

On the paint thinning, I've sprayed non-automotive enamel with the older high pressure spray guns. Should this paint be thinned to a similar consistency for rolling as spraying?

Secondly, do you keep your orange VW in a garage most of the time?

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: QuickDodge] #21711
02/07/06 12:22 AM
02/07/06 12:22 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Well here are my results. I am a bit mixed on my opinion, but I may need some high speed buffing tips from 69charger.

Can you describe how to get the best shine out of it with the cheap turtle wax? On the turtle wax container it says to use a wet rag (I used a 10" buffer polisher and sprayed some water down and put some wax on with another cloth, then took the buffer to it).

When I look at this head on (albiet under flourescent lighting probably not the best) it looks hazy to me, not much of a shine. Is that just how enamel is?

On the good side, there's no orange peel at all when viewed from the side. Looks like you could dive into it.

I'm going to haul it outside in the sun when I get a chance to see how it looks there.

2375501-paintfinal2.jpg (608 downloads)
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #21712
02/07/06 12:34 AM
02/07/06 12:34 AM
Gambrills, Md
M
mopork Offline
top fuel
mopork  Offline
top fuel
M

Gambrills, Md
Looks AWESOME

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #21713
02/07/06 12:36 AM
02/07/06 12:36 AM
MN
astrobuf Offline
mopar
astrobuf  Offline
mopar

MN
Chargeryeehaa,

Nice system and results!

For those not sure about this, it is not too different than the original way that cars were painted. Back in the day, Ford, Chevy etc painted their model "T's" etc with crews using brushes. Spray painting had yet to be developed. The same process, brush on level, sand and repeat was was used.

I do share the voiced concern that these paints will fade and/or yellow over tiem if exposed to much sun/UV. This can be mediated some by using a clear coat.

Good luck to those adventurous. Maybe if I paint my Camaro I'd try it!

Astrobuf

So, are you really a Rocket Scientist?
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: mopork] #21714
02/07/06 12:47 AM
02/07/06 12:47 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Looks AWESOME

Thanks! You know, I set the door up so that it's sitting like a door would sit on a car, and I think it looks A LOT better. I think that overhead flourescent light was not the right way to look at a test panel.

This looks a lot more like it, but I really want to get it outside for some sunlight shots.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #21715
02/07/06 02:47 AM
02/07/06 02:47 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

you could always move to a finer buffing compound if thats not enough shine. However you should prob wetsand with 2000 then go a slightly courser compound then the turtle wax then a super fine polish like mirror glaze. 3m makes some great products for this purpose without getting crazy on the price. Careful though or this paint job will reach 100 dollars. LOL Looks awesome so far though.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #21716
02/07/06 03:33 AM
02/07/06 03:33 AM
Brunswick, Jawgia
Snailpower Offline
Infinitely Fast Snail
Snailpower  Offline
Infinitely Fast Snail

Brunswick, Jawgia
Exit1965, does your helper have white paint on the end of his nose??

70 Coronet- turbocharged 360/518/3.73 SG
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: QuickDodge] #21717
02/07/06 10:33 AM
02/07/06 10:33 AM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Hey 69 Charger, Thanks SO MUCH for posting this info and answering all the questions. I've read and re-read this thread and have taken notes!

On the paint thinning, I've sprayed non-automotive enamel with the older high pressure spray guns. Should this paint be thinned to a similar consistency for rolling as spraying?

Secondly, do you keep your orange VW in a garage most of the time?

i would say you thin the paint just a tad thicker then you would if you were to spray. then orange vw beetle was painted in 1999/2000, and it does live in the garage, but it has been driven 35,000mi since paint. looks exactly as the day i painted it.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #21718
02/07/06 10:53 AM
02/07/06 10:53 AM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Well here are my results. I am a bit mixed on my opinion, but I may need some high speed buffing tips from 69charger.

Can you describe how to get the best shine out of it with the cheap turtle wax? On the turtle wax container it says to use a wet rag (I used a 10" buffer polisher and sprayed some water down and put some wax on with another cloth, then took the buffer to it).

When I look at this head on (albiet under flourescent lighting probably not the best) it looks hazy to me, not much of a shine. Is that just how enamel is?

On the good side, there's no orange peel at all when viewed from the side. Looks like you could dive into it.

I'm going to haul it outside in the sun when I get a chance to see how it looks there.

you'll poo your pants when you take it out in the sun. indoor lighting is probally the worst for how it really looks, espically flourescent lights. enamel paint does not have that "wet" look like base coat/clear coat paints tend to, but the "depth" of color i find is really true, looks very vibrant, espically in the sun, and twilight i find are when the paint really looks deep. as for the polishing, i used a 10" 3600rpm random orbit electric polisher, and the cheepest turtle wax "polishing" compound paste (white) NOT the rubbing compound. i would put about 2 table spoons of the paste on the buffer, then polish for a few mins, i would say after a 3' x3' area i would spray the bonnet with lots of water, then continue polishing-repeat. don't push on the polisher, just a slight pressure using the weight alone. for exapmle the trunk lid would take me about 20 mins to do, basically just standing there letting the polisher do it's thing. looks from you pics that you've got the process down pat, you'd be supprised how fast you do the whole car. your test area is a bit small, and probally would be harder to do than a larger one. i found that going over even 1000 grit took too long to wetsand, and polishing alot was eaiser and faster then wetsanding. i think i used 1500 grit as my quick "final" sand. also i waxed the paint right after the polish, again with the el-cheapo turtle wax paste wax. i really like that turtle wax stuff, i tried the 3M stuff, mothers, i have a shelf in my garage full of every imaginable wax and polish, turtle wax is the cheapest and the best. as for the toughness of the paint, honestly i can say that it is really scratch resistant, chip resistant, i like it. enamel is alot "harder" then any other type of paint. i wax my cars 2 times a year, once in spring, and once in fall. good job by the way, i'll let you answer all the questions from now on, you officially have the helm!!!

Re: paint job on a budget!? #21719
02/07/06 10:56 AM
02/07/06 10:56 AM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Alenandre y0- all the answers to your questions are in the post somewhere, take the time to read the whole thread. tremclad comes in a navy blue, just have to find it. you can mix different colors and make whatever color you want, but don't get the paint "shaken" when you buy it, just stir it. bubbles will be trapped in the paint for a really long time.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 68Cbarge] #21720
02/07/06 10:58 AM
02/07/06 10:58 AM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

O.K. Everybody!!Listen up!! 69 Chargeryeehaa pics just do NOT do justice to the paint job!!! I personally seen this car this past weekend and it looks GREAT!You have to see it for yourself in PERSON!! I had to go see for myself!! The shine and smoothness of the paint is impressive.Even my Brother in law who's not into cars liked the paintjob!!Looks like a professional paintjob.Better than what they did on the Dukes show!!Overall the car is a nice cruiser that can be shown.Like most of our toys,his still needs a few things here and there only if they are pointed out.To the local cruise night crowd this Charger can steal the most attention!(69......you can wire me the bribe money by Western Union )

i wired the money to your swiss bank acount as we discussed!!!!

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #21721
02/07/06 11:01 AM
02/07/06 11:01 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

you'll poo your pants when you take it out in the sun. indoor lighting is probally the worst for how it really looks, espically flourescent lights. enamel paint does not have that "wet" look like base coat/clear coat paints tend to, but the "depth" of color i find is really true, looks very vibrant, espically in the sun, and twilight i find are when the paint really looks deep. as for the polishing, i used a 10" 3600rpm random orbit electric polisher, and the cheepest turtle wax "polishing" compound paste (white) NOT the rubbing compound. i would put about 2 table spoons of the paste on the buffer, then polish for a few mins, i would say after a 3' x3' area i would spray the bonnet with lots of water, then continue polishing. don't push on the polisher, just a slight pressure using the weight alone. for exapmle the trunk lid would take me about 20 mins to do, bisically just standing there letting the polisher do it's thing. looks from you pics that you've got the process down pat, you'd be supprised how fast you do the whole car. your test area is a bit small, and probally would be harder to do than a larger one. i found that going over even 1000 grit took too long to wetsand, and polishing alot was eaiser and faster then wetsanding. i think i used 1500 grit as my "final" sand. also i waxed the paint right after the polish, again with the el-cheapo turtle wax "extreme" wax. i really like that turtle wax stuff, i tried the 3M stuff, mothers, i have a shelf in my garage full of every imaginable wax and polish, turtle wax is the cheapest and the best. as for the toughness of the paint, honestly i can say that it is really scratch resistant, chip resistant, i like it. enamel is alot "harder" then any other type of paint. i wax my cars 2 times a year, once in spring, and once in fall. good job by the way, i'll let you answer all the questions from now on, you officially have the helm!!!

Thanks 69charger. It's surprising how easy it is to do, and the little specs of crap that fell onto the paint when it was wet, they all came out with wetsanding. I was worried about them.

I hope others will try this too, it really is a great deal and it's fun seeing what you can do by hand

Now I'll hopefully get off my can and finish up the bodywork!

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #21722
02/07/06 11:13 AM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Thanks 69charger. It's surprising how easy it is to do, and the little specs of crap that fell onto the paint when it was wet, they all came out with wetsanding. I was worried about them.

I hope others will try this too, it really is a great deal and it's fun seeing what you can do by hand

Now I'll hopefully get off my can and finish up the bodywork!

your very welcome. looks like you've done a great job listening and reading all the instructions. you mentioned one more important thing i totally forgot about and that was that any dirt, or hair you have in the paint totally disappear when you wetsand. i forgot to mention that. i would think you would get about 90% more dirt than what you expirenced had you have sprayed the paint on. that's one more thing i like about this process is the dirt is kept to a minimum, unless you have the luxury of having a paint booth. also you can see how easy the paint is to work with, and how you can wetsand the next day, polish and wax right after you wetsand, unlike auto paints where u have to wait 3 months!!!! that's why i like this paint soo much.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Snailpower] #21723
Dallas, Wisconsin
BurntOrange Offline
enthusiast
BurntOrange  Offline
enthusiast

Dallas, Wisconsin
Quote:

Exit1965, does your helper have white paint on the end of his nose??

Or is he getting ready to "clearcoat"?

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #21724
02/07/06 11:35 AM
02/07/06 11:35 AM
USA
M
max Offline
super gas
max  Offline
super gas
M

USA

Quote:

you'll poo your pants when you take it out in the sun. indoor lighting is probally the worst for how it really looks, espically flourescent lights. enamel paint does not have that "wet" look like base coat/clear coat paints tend to, but the "depth" of color i find is really true, looks very vibrant, espically in the sun, and twilight i find are when the paint really looks deep.

i have to agree, with the enamel paint jobs that i have sprayed over the years the flourescent lights don't do them justice and i worked my butt off one time trying to get a haze that i thought was in the paint out because of the lights but when i took the car outside the paint had a really good shine to it.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: max] #21725
02/07/06 11:40 AM
02/07/06 11:40 AM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Quote:

you'll poo your pants when you take it out in the sun. indoor lighting is probally the worst for how it really looks, espically flourescent lights. enamel paint does not have that "wet" look like base coat/clear coat paints tend to, but the "depth" of color i find is really true, looks very vibrant, espically in the sun, and twilight i find are when the paint really looks deep.

i have to agree, with the enamel paint jobs that i have sprayed over the years the flourescent lights don't do them justice and i worked my butt off one time trying to get a haze that i thought was in the paint out because of the lights but when i took the car outside the paint had a really good shine to it.

ya, it's hard to explain, i find enamel paint to be "warm" and not have that "wet" look like BC/CC. if you want that "wet" look pay the $5000 and get a BC/CC paint job. i personally really like the enamel paint, it looks different from all other modern painted cars, besides that is how these cars came from the factory.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #21726
02/07/06 11:41 AM
02/07/06 11:41 AM
USA
M
max Offline
super gas
max  Offline
super gas
M

USA
Quote:

i think the work that you have done with that door looks really good. i think you might be under estimatating the shine since you had a small area to work with plus the color you used.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: max] #21727
02/07/06 11:45 AM
02/07/06 11:45 AM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #21728
02/07/06 12:03 PM
02/07/06 12:03 PM
Great Lakes State
O
ONEBADBIRD Offline
mopar
ONEBADBIRD  Offline
mopar
O

Great Lakes State
Hey Exit1965 your paint job is very impressive the reflection and the gloss shine on that one angle pic you took is great. I'm going to do red I believe, and when I get this paint going on my car I will post pics also. keep it rockin

Fair winds, and following seas! Red sky at night sailor's delight, red sky in morning sailor take warning! Weather from the West is always best! Weather from the East is not fit for man nor beast!
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: MNobody] #21729
02/07/06 12:16 PM
02/07/06 12:16 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

hey i said nice car right off the bat and you still havn't come over to paint my car.....

sure i'll paint your car: price $3000-$5000

Page 12 of 85 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 84 85