02/06/06 10:59 AM
02/06/06 10:59 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

just says they are under the same brand name not necessarily the same product?

Re: paint job on a budget!? #21671
02/06/06 11:04 AM
02/06/06 11:04 AM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

The soap actualy lubricates the paper and it will sand smoother. As far as finish goes I dont think it will make a difference. I have heard it makes the paper last longer though? In any case the main thing is to keep your area saturated. On a side note. I cannot find on the net anywhere where tremclad makes rustoleum and that it is in fact the same product. I was thinking about using valspar tractor and implement enamel from TSC. Any advice or info on that would be great. I was worried about it though because it takes a hardner?

i see your logic in the soap in the water and think it would help when approaching the 1000+ grit mark, i'll give that a shot next time. i would just worry about any residue left behind and how that efects the next coats of paint? i find the paper lasts really long to the point where it's worn from just using it, but i rinse the paper often and clean the surface alot. from what i've read the rust-oleim paint is the exact same thing as the tremclad sold in canada, it's just a brand labeled for canada. if it's rust paint, it's rust paint. anything that requires a hardner i would spray on to get the paint to "flash" i would think you need to spray it. i would never try to roller any acrylic enamel single stage paint, it would be impossible, if you have ever sprayed on that stuff like i have i would think it would not work just from my experience with the paint. the great thing about the tremclad is the way the paint acts and how easy it is to work with, the durability of the paint, and the fact that it's so inert, and not prone to all that fun stuff like fish eyes, and the fact that it is easy to apply and not critical about re-coat times ect.....like i've said before, i have sprayed several cars with a single stage acrylic enamel in my garage, i just can't stand the mess, smell, work, and overspray. the roller method for me was much eaiser, you can work at a leisurly pace, not rushing to mix a batch of color and spray it on 10 mins after the primer sealer like you have to using single stage auto paint. i find that the tremclad/rustoliem paint is VERY durable, the front fenders on my charger are fiberglass, and i have no issues even when i lean over them to do any motor work and accidently "pop" them in and out. if that were single stage i think the paint would crack unless your use the proper "flex" agents.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #21672
02/06/06 11:09 AM
02/06/06 11:09 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Re: paint job on a budget!? #21673
02/06/06 11:12 AM
02/06/06 11:12 AM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

http://www.rustoleum.com/Product.asp?frm_product_id=18&SBL=1 looks like this must be the stuff.

that's the stuff, looks like you americans even get a few more color choices too.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #21674
02/06/06 11:39 AM
02/06/06 11:39 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

looks like they have a whole line of industrial enamels but require priming http://www.rustoleum.com/Product.asp?frm_product_id=219&SBL=2&ddic=6
Could these or others from this site be usable?

Re: paint job on a budget!? #21675
02/06/06 11:46 AM
02/06/06 11:46 AM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

looks like they have a whole line of industrial enamels but require priming http://www.rustoleum.com/Product.asp?frm_product_id=219&SBL=2&ddic=6
Could these or others from this site be usable?

i dont' know, i would'nt want to expirement, espically that i've found the cheapest simple to use paint....why bother?

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #21676
02/06/06 12:24 PM
02/06/06 12:24 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Quote:

http://www.rustoleum.com/Product.asp?frm_product_id=18&SBL=1 looks like this must be the stuff.

that's the stuff, looks like you americans even get a few more color choices too.

I wish I could find a place around here that has all those colors! Home depot has about 5-6 colors from what I remember, and walmart about 4 or 5. I'm using the Almond color 7770.

I haven't tried Lowes but I wont hold my breath that they'll have any of the cooler colors. I'd like to do some experimenting with the carnival red..

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #21677
02/06/06 12:30 PM
02/06/06 12:30 PM
Michigan
MNobody Offline
master
MNobody  Offline
master

Michigan
hey they should be able to mix any color you want with that product.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: MNobody] #21678
02/06/06 01:08 PM
02/06/06 01:08 PM
Great Lakes State
O
ONEBADBIRD Offline
mopar
ONEBADBIRD  Offline
mopar
O

Great Lakes State
Hey you guys that plan on trying this method like the rest of us and can't find a good selection. If you live in the Michigan area look for a Aco Hardware store. They didn't have all the colors but had a decent selection of Rustoleum colors that's where I picked up "Gloss Sunrise Red" and Rustoleum Hammered Finish in silver which I might try on my bare metal issues then go over with the red. It says right on the Rustoleum "Hammered Finish" can, "can apply directly over rust" so I might experiment with that. Hey can any of you guys tell me if I were to try the gloss black hood stripe thing can you wetsand two different colors side by side without a clear coat over top or could it be disasterous. Just a thought? Thanks for any replies on this Question: Jay (This thread is AWESOME)

Fair winds, and following seas! Red sky at night sailor's delight, red sky in morning sailor take warning! Weather from the West is always best! Weather from the East is not fit for man nor beast!
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: ONEBADBIRD] #21679
02/06/06 01:13 PM
02/06/06 01:13 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Hey you guys that plan on trying this method like the rest of us and can't find a good selection. If you live in the Michigan area look for a Aco Hardware store. They didn't have all the colors but had a decent selection of Rustoleum colors that's where I picked up "Gloss Sunrise Red" and Rustoleum Hammered Finish in silver which I might try on my bare metal issues then go over with the red. It says right on the Rustoleum "Hammered Finish" can, "can apply directly over rust" so I might experiment with that. Hey can any of you guys tell me if I were to try the gloss black hood stripe thing can you wetsand two different colors side by side without a clear coat over top or could it be disasterous. Just a thought? Thanks for any replies on this Question: Jay (This thread is AWESOME)

don't use the hammerd finish unless you want a "hammerd" finish, which is really textured. and yes u can wetsand to different colors side by side like a stripe once dry with no issues.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #21680
02/06/06 01:15 PM
02/06/06 01:15 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

The sop in the water also prevents the paper from clogging up as fast and causing more scratches.

Re: paint job on a budget!? *DELETED* #21681
02/06/06 01:19 PM
02/06/06 01:19 PM
Columbia, CT
M
moper Offline
I Live Here
moper  Offline
I Live Here
M

Columbia, CT
Post deleted by Ira

Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know.
Re: paint job on a budget!? *DELETED* [Re: moper] #21682
02/06/06 01:23 PM
02/06/06 01:23 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Post deleted by Ira

Re: paint job on a budget!? #21683
02/06/06 01:25 PM
02/06/06 01:25 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

The sop in the water also prevents the paper from clogging up as fast and causing more scratches.

i agree, i've heard about it, but honestly never had any problems with just plain water, but if i ever have the problem of the paper getting plugged up i'll give that a shot

Re: paint job on a budget!? *DELETED* [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #21684
02/06/06 01:31 PM
02/06/06 01:31 PM
Columbia, CT
M
moper Offline
I Live Here
moper  Offline
I Live Here
M

Columbia, CT
Post deleted by Ira

Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know.
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: moper] #21685
02/06/06 02:34 PM
02/06/06 02:34 PM
Great Lakes State
O
ONEBADBIRD Offline
mopar
ONEBADBIRD  Offline
mopar
O

Great Lakes State
Thanks 69chargeryeehaa for the answer to my stripe question I'll give it a shot I mean roll!!!
Except for the few of us on here willing to try this paint job I think its interesting how old school so many people are when you just say the word "roller" they automatically turn there nose up. I personally think why spend say thousands of hard earned pennies
on a paint job that will give you nothing but ulcers from the minute you get it in the driveway and notice a scratch with your magnifying glass.
That just means thousands of dollars more I can put into getting my muscle machine on the road. I mean if your paint job cost 50 bucks or 15,000 thousand bucks your ALWAYS going to be dealing with RUST/dings/scraches etc. so why not make it the least costly and easy to fix. Just pull it into your own garage and a week later your ready to roll and rip on it and still have money for gas and not have your car in a shop for another 6 months for example. So I am going to try this paint job with a ROLLER ( oh that sounds scary!! Ha Ha!!!!) and still have a hot looking ride that turns heads when coming down the street
Oh ya and 69chargeryeehaa beautiful looking ride man thanks for the info. Jay.

Fair winds, and following seas! Red sky at night sailor's delight, red sky in morning sailor take warning! Weather from the West is always best! Weather from the East is not fit for man nor beast!
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: ONEBADBIRD] #21686
02/06/06 03:02 PM
02/06/06 03:02 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Thanks 69chargeryeehaa for the answer to my stripe question I'll give it a shot I mean roll!!!
Except for the few of us on here willing to try this paint job I think its interesting how old school so many people are when you just say the word "roller" they automatically turn there nose up. I personally think why spend say thousands of hard earned pennies
on a paint job that will give you nothing but ulcers from the minute you get it in the driveway and notice a scratch with your magnifying glass.
That just means thousands of dollars more I can put into getting my muscle machine on the road. I mean if your paint job cost 50 bucks or 15,000 thousand bucks your ALWAYS going to be dealing with RUST/dings/scraches etc. so why not make it the least costly and easy to fix. Just pull it into your own garage and a week later your ready to roll and rip on it and still have money for gas and not have your car in a shop for another 6 months for example. So I am going to try this paint job with a ROLLER ( oh that sounds scary!! Ha Ha!!!!) and still have a hot looking ride that turns heads when coming down the street
Oh ya and 69chargeryeehaa beautiful looking ride man thanks for the info. Jay.

amen, and thankyou, i could'nt have said it better myself. you can allways have the car painted professionally later when you fall into a poop load of money, until then i'll drive my charger like i stole it, sideways on dirt roads like it was ment to be driven, some people just don't get it. They think i'm saying that they should take there 1 of 1 hemi cuda vert concept car with 0.000003mi on the od, with a build sheet they found under the back seat engraved in platinum, and do a roller paint job on it!!!!!

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #21687
02/06/06 03:46 PM
02/06/06 03:46 PM
Columbia, CT
M
moper Offline
I Live Here
moper  Offline
I Live Here
M

Columbia, CT
Sorry, I didnt mean to cause such a ruckess. I'd love for you to see my driveway. It's 1/2 mile of rutted, muddy, sandy and rocky fill. (the material depends on where you are on it...) I've gone as fast as 45mph on it, and there's members here who can verify that the last thing I worry about is looks. I'm honored you would group me with the checkbook car guys, but nobody does any work for me, that I can do myself. I still cant do glass windshields or back glass. But I do decent body work, and paint, and enignes, transmission,rears, suspension setups, cages, connectors, electrical..you name it. because I'm cheap, and not very trusting. I've put cars thru cornfields with 7 passengers, trucks on their doors, and gotten more than a few airborne. (ask pnypwr about the cracks he's fixed in my high school car that he restored) So, relax, go roll away. I dont care how you get results. If your car is registered and driven more than 20' in 2 years, you're lightyears ahead of any car I own. I would however, use spray bombs berfore I roll. Just because I find them easier to control, and a case or two of rustoleum will do several coats, and runs about $70. (not that I've ever done THAT tho )

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: moper] #21688
02/06/06 04:02 PM
02/06/06 04:02 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Sorry, I didnt mean to cause such a ruckess. I'd love for you to see my driveway. It's 1/2 mile of rutted, muddy, sandy and rocky fill. (the material depends on where you are on it...) I've gone as fast as 45mph on it, and there's members here who can verify that the last thing I worry about is looks. I'm honored you would group me with the checkbook car guys, but nobody does any work for me, that I can do myself. I still cant do glass windshields or back glass. But I do decent body work, and paint, and enignes, transmission,rears, suspension setups, cages, connectors, electrical..you name it. because I'm cheap, and not very trusting. I've put cars thru cornfields with 7 passengers, trucks on their doors, and gotten more than a few airborne. (ask pnypwr about the cracks he's fixed in my high school car that he restored) So, relax, go roll away. I dont care how you get results. If your car is registered and driven more than 20' in 2 years, you're lightyears ahead of any car I own. I would however, use spray bombs berfore I roll. Just because I find them easier to control, and a case or two of rustoleum will do several coats, and runs about $70. (not that I've ever done THAT tho )

aplolgy accepted. i'm not stop being a girl lol. rollering is much cleaner, no taping, cheaper, faster. if i were to use spray cans i'd just spray it on with a compressor. spray cans suck, never work good, and after a few mins spit out blobs on the surface. the roller method works amazing for me, and is super easy to do. i'm a do it all myself guy too, u name it i do it, the only thing i get done for me is tires, and wheel balancing, otherwise i do it all, i put in a new windshield, headliner, paint, carpet, all the mechanics i do my self on all my cars. i like the roller method because painting anything weather spraying or rollering comes naturally to me and i'm good at it. if you can't rub your belly in a circular motion and pat your head at the same time then painting is not for you. the main reason i rollered the charger is because i don't have enough room in my garage to confortably get around the whole car with the doors open ect...and be able to spray. otherwise i would have sprayed it. the 1974 orange beetle i rollered was a small car, and was really easy to roller and wetsand to a mirror. the 1971 blue beetle i sprayed was such a pain, and my wife complained that the whole house stunk, and that was acrylic enamel, primer, primer sealer and midnight blue metalic, and cameout perfect. if i showed you that car you'd swear it was a $5000 paint job. i don't mind your house wraping comment if it was maybe followed by something like "by the way nice ride" something like that. i hate when people just come on here and on your thread. u on me and i on you. lol

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #21689
02/06/06 04:23 PM
02/06/06 04:23 PM
Gambrills, Md
M
mopork Offline
top fuel
mopork  Offline
top fuel
M

Gambrills, Md
YEHAA I sympathize with you, my garage is also small and i don't have enough room around the car to paint. I had the advantage of using my buddy mike's rotiserrie. We had to push the car to one side and spin it to paint it by standing only on one side of the car while spraying. We used a paint turbine and it worked great. Next time we will roller it

Page 10 of 85 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 84 85