03/30/06 03:19 PM
Richmond, Tx. (Houston)
GTSDave Offline
master
GTSDave  Offline
master

Richmond, Tx. (Houston)
Quote:

Dave, where can I get this Diamond Cut stuff?

I bought some at a body shop supply house. They make different kinds. The one in my picture is for machine buffing. I do know there are some for hand, but you do need a machine to get it right. Use a Foam pad!

I picked up my latest buffer at car quest for under $50.00 and have used it a lot. My last one cost me $10.00 from a pawn shop, and it lasted me 10 years lol.

Most of the Mcguiars polishes are availible at any AutoZone type store. Buy a small bottle. They have easy to read gauges on the lable to tell you how agressive the grit is. The swirl mark remover type polishes are VERY good at hiding small swirl marks and scratches, but most require a machine to apply.

Your sample is almost there, a little more work with the right type of compound and the shine will get there.

-Dave

PLEASE Pray for our brothers and sisters in harms way.

If you are the owner of a GTS us at the GTS Registry www.gtsregistry.com
Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: KGorney] #22351
03/30/06 04:14 PM
03/30/06 04:14 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

This thread is soooo cool!! The advise and observations you guys share is fantastic. No wonder this thread is so popular.

I got the Penetrol from Home Depot. Sometimes I found it by the paint equipment, sometimes by the mineral spirits. If you can’t find it, get help from an employee- tell them you’re looking for stuff to “paint your car with.” The expression on their face should be worth the $9 price. The Flood web site you pointed out also has a Store Locator.

I really enjoy this technique. Sanding helps me get rid of the head aches I get from work.(My buddies tell me sanding GIVES them headaches.) I don’t know, something about focusing on “smoothing the rough spots” seems to relax me. When I start painting with the brush, and using the Coach Painting technique (picture an airplane landing then taking off) that’s also relaxing, similar to those Zen dudes who smooth out rock gardens into river patterns. In honor of 69Chargeryeehaa, I’ve dubbed the effect, “Yeehaa Yoga.” But then again… it could be from sniffing that Penetrol. Like Ricklandia says, be careful with that stuff guys!

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22352
03/30/06 05:02 PM
03/30/06 05:02 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Poorbugr- it looks like from your pic that the 1st coat completely covered the area, is that right? Did you take the pictures before or after wetsanding?

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22353
03/30/06 06:34 PM
03/30/06 06:34 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

This is my 4th coat. Rusteolum professional with mineral spirits. Not sanded yet
I don't have a garage, so I am painting outside. To avoid stuff stick to the paint, I usually paint when is hot. At the same time this makes the thinner to evaporate to fast and there is same roller marks.

2516274-DSC_0076.JPG (1704 downloads)
Re: paint job on a budget!? #22354
03/30/06 06:38 PM
03/30/06 06:38 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Another picture

Somebody could tell me how to put my pictures in here?

Thanks

2516279-DSC_0084.JPG (1604 downloads)
Re: paint job on a budget!? #22355
03/30/06 06:58 PM
03/30/06 06:58 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Another picture

Somebody could tell me how to put my pictures in here?

Thanks

that doesn't look too bad! oh and that picture is way too big to put into the post where you can see it. What you could do is shrink the picture or crop it, then click on your attachment, copy the URL of the image, then edit your post and put the URL of your image with [ img ] at the front (minus the spaces) and [ /img ] at the back (minus the spaces).

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22356
03/30/06 09:12 PM
03/30/06 09:12 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Found some Penetrol at the local Home Depot, they had plenty. Probably won't get a chance to work with it for a few weeks though.

Gotta strip off some decals from the mower, anyone got any suggestions? I took off the dried and cracked vinyl wood panel from a Jeep Wagoneer once, used a hair dryer to soften it, then just peeled little by little. Took me FOREVER!

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: GTSDave] #22357
03/30/06 09:24 PM
03/30/06 09:24 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Ok, so i have the get alllll the white circles out? Even though they arent bumpy? I had some bumpy circles but those were bubbles that dried up and i got rid of them.

I'm wetsanding with fingers and well now i see it isnt working very well. The bLock is really small and takes forever!! LOL. I guess i'm gonna have to suck it up and scrub hahaha.

PS: Exit1965 Good to see you back in the game This stuff isnt that bad lol, i'm in such a big mess but i'm gonna keep going. GL To u too

Last edited by bakuryu; 03/30/06 09:25 PM.
Re: paint job on a budget!? #22358
03/30/06 11:00 PM
03/30/06 11:00 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
I tried what GTSDave suggested, and the results are encouraging-

If you look close, you can see the reflection of the grinder case. In case it doesn't show well in the pic, there is a much nicer reflection on the right side. The right side was done with Meguiars swirl remover 2.0 then the #7 glaze polish. I used a marker to show the area, and the line was taped when I was doing the polishing so the sides were totally separate. I started applying the swirl remover with my polisher, but then the !@#$* foam bonnet came off, and it was a pain to get it partially on anyways, so I did the whole area again by hand a couple times.

The left side I treated with only the #7 glaze, so the difference is the swirl remover.

Staring into it, I can see my mug staring back now, which I couldn't on the microscratchy side. I bet it would be even better if I had used the machine the whole time or used a more aggressive scratch remover like Dave did. I will do it again when I've got the bonnet all the way on. It does look like most of the swirl marks are gone now, but there are other tiny imperfections..not sure what from, probably there all along.

If it's sunny tomorrow I'll haul it into the sun for some pictures compared to the left side.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22359
03/31/06 12:45 AM
03/31/06 12:45 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

If you look close, you can see the reflection of the grinder case. In case it doesn't show well in the pic, there is a much nicer reflection on the right side. The right side was done with Meguiars swirl remover 2.0 then the #7 glaze polish. I used a marker to show the area, and the line was taped when I was doing the polishing so the sides were totally separate. I started applying the swirl remover with my polisher, but then the !@#$* foam bonnet came off, and it was a pain to get it partially on anyways, so I did the whole area again by hand a couple times.

The left side I treated with only the #7 glaze, so the difference is the swirl remover.

Staring into it, I can see my mug staring back now, which I couldn't on the microscratchy side. I bet it would be even better if I had used the machine the whole time or used a more aggressive scratch remover like Dave did. I will do it again when I've got the bonnet all the way on. It does look like most of the swirl marks are gone now, but there are other tiny imperfections..not sure what from, probably there all along.

If it's sunny tomorrow I'll haul it into the sun for some pictures compared to the left side.

Nice dude, that looks nice! Keep going

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22360
03/31/06 02:33 AM
03/31/06 02:33 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Now that a lot of the swirls are gone, I'm seeing a bunch of other scratches below which must have been from using too rough a grit for final sanding. I used max of 180 over it.. what grit should I use on the surface before paint then?

And if I'm doing a long bondo area, do I need to get a long sheet of finer grit paper to keep it flat?

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22361
03/31/06 08:07 AM
03/31/06 08:07 AM
Richmond, Tx. (Houston)
GTSDave Offline
master
GTSDave  Offline
master

Richmond, Tx. (Houston)
I usually use 320 for my final prep. For Bondo, I use a long board with 36 to get it straight, the I go to 80 with the long board, and finally 120 long board before prime. After the prime I will use the 320 to make sure the primer is flat, then wipe, and paint. The key is to make sure your surface prep is good.

If I am using gray primer, I mist a darker color primer over the panel. Usually black, sandable primer. I then go back over it with my 320 ALWAYS use a sanding block. You will see the black primer stay in the low spots. It also will show you scratches in your pimer/bondo.

I haven’t updated my web site in a long time. I crashed a hard drive and didn't re-install my software properly. I will try to work on it in the next week. I had lots of pictures of the bodywork I did with my GTS. Once I do I will post a message to check it out. I don’t have lots of $$$ to spend on my cars so most of my bodywork I did the cheap way. Using old tools I had and a few new ones. I took lots of pictures, and did it all in my garage.

Keep practicing and you will get your own technique down. Every person that does body work will tell you a slightly different method they use. Once you have done enough of it yourself, you will find what works best for you.

I always keep an open mind, and find that I pick up little tips all the time that help make it easier for me to get better and better. Once you get your own technique down you will see that you will be able to get it done much faster, and with better results.

I don’t paint cars for a living. I was a mechanic, then electronic tech in the Air Force. I got into painting my own cars back in High School after getting prices to have one of my old cars painted. I know now that the prices were because of all the labor involved. But I have time, and I am willing to do my own labor, so I just had to teach myself how to do it. You guys are on the right track, and with practice and patience you will get great results.

-Dave

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: GTSDave] #22362
03/31/06 08:38 AM
03/31/06 08:38 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I heard on some show that its better to sand surfaces in "lines" not swirls or circles..

if true, i guess that could be a tip

Question:

I live on a dirt road, after i finish painting\waxing my car, is it ok to drive it on the dirt road afterwards?

Re: paint job on a budget!? #22363
03/31/06 10:01 AM
03/31/06 10:01 AM
Richmond, Tx. (Houston)
GTSDave Offline
master
GTSDave  Offline
master

Richmond, Tx. (Houston)
M2001,

I should have mentioned that. I wet sand in straight lines. I do change the direction but always in a straight line.
--------||||||||||---------|||||||||

-Dave

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22364
03/31/06 10:17 AM
03/31/06 10:17 AM
PA
KGorney Offline
top fuel
KGorney  Offline
top fuel

PA
Quote:

Exit1965,
Is that finish using Rustoleum and mineral spirits? Looks good. I'm still debating whether to try Penetrol or use mineral spirits.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: KGorney] #22365
03/31/06 11:31 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

Exit1965,
Is that finish using Rustoleum and mineral spirits? Looks good. I'm still debating whether to try Penetrol or use mineral spirits.

It's with mineral spirits. I don't know about Penetrol, it would be nice to see how well it holds up.

Im going to visit local Miracle auto body today to see the competition and how they do single stage metallics .. I'm kind of leaning towards a light silver metallic now, after seeing mmissle's macomb missle..
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/upload2/2512587-100_0242.JPG

The missle isn't single stage, but

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: KGorney] #22366
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
keep in mind guys that basically all of you trying this method have no previous painting expirence, and you're pulling off good results. painting takes years to learn, and for $50, a respectable paint job is awesome. there's a learning curve, but the only way to learn is to do it, once you have it down pat, and know all the tricks, then you'll find it is really a easy process, there is no other way to paint your car for less with these results, even a rattle can paint job will cost more, plus it's a clean process, and you can take your time.

EXIT1965- regarding the buffing, the turtle wax polishing compound has a grit rating as i mentioned before of 2500+ grit. that being said, that small test area would take me over 20mins to finish, perhapps you did'nt polish long enough. you can use the tutrle wax rubbing compound, which i think is about 1000 grit equivilent. but i found it too agressive using a electric polisher. i polished my charger for about a good solid day, probablly over 8hours, but it's easy work, you just stand there and let the polisher do the work. your test area is small, and i actually would find it eaiser to polish a larger area than a small test area like yours. you should try a whole trunk lid for example, i think you'll find it alot eaiser. the final result all depends on how good the prep is, prep is everything no matter how you actually paint the car.

as for the shine, i think it's also good to remember that these cars originally from the factory had paint simmilar to my results, it's only in the last 20yrs, that BC/CC paint came into play, and that "wet paint" look is what we're all comparing this technique to. i really actually perfer the warm enamel finish to a BC/CC job on a old car, but if i were to paint my 2002 Mustang GT for example, i'd definatly go the BC/CC route.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22367
03/31/06 11:41 AM
03/31/06 11:41 AM
PA
KGorney Offline
top fuel
KGorney  Offline
top fuel

PA
I hear ya, 69Chargeryeehaa
I'm not looking for a bc/cc finish, but I would like to get some gloss.

This is going to be a driver car that I'm trying to get on the road by June, so this method is perfect to attain that goal with an acceptable paint cover. I'm not looking for perfection.
I will be testing the procedure on a Duster trunk lid, once the paint comes in. If I can get a finish similiar to your Charger, I'll be happy!
And you are correct, I have zero prior auto body painting experience.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #22368
03/31/06 12:08 PM
03/31/06 12:08 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Quote:

keep in mind guys that basically all of you trying this method have no previous painting expirence, and you're pulling off good results. painting takes years to learn, and for $50, a respectable paint job is awesome. there's a learning curve, but the only way to learn is to do it, once you have it down pat, and know all the tricks, then you'll find it is really a easy process, there is no other way to paint your car for less with these results, even a rattle can paint job will cost more, plus it's a clean process, and you can take your time.

EXIT1965- regarding the buffing, the turtle wax polishing compound has a grit rating as i mentioned before of 2500+ grit. that being said, that small test area would take me over 20mins to finish, perhapps you did'nt polish long enough. you can use the tutrle wax rubbing compound, which i think is about 1000 grit equivilent. but i found it too agressive using a electric polisher. i polished my charger for about a good solid day, probablly over 8hours, but it's easy work, you just stand there and let the polisher do the work. your test area is small, and i actually would find it eaiser to polish a larger area than a small test area like yours. you should try a whole trunk lid for example, i think you'll find it alot eaiser. the final result all depends on how good the prep is, prep is everything no matter how you actually paint the car.

as for the shine, i think it's also good to remember that these cars originally from the factory had paint simmilar to my results, it's only in the last 20yrs, that BC/CC paint came into play, and that "wet paint" look is what we're all comparing this technique to. i really actually perfer the warm enamel finish to a BC/CC job on a old car, but if i were to paint my 2002 Mustang GT for example, i'd definatly go the BC/CC route.

Cool. that test area didn't take me more than 3 minutes to "polish", I guess I didnt spend enough time on it. My issue now is I should have used more than 180 on the final surface before starting, I'm seeing lots of scratches in there that I think are too big to be from the fine grit sandpaper during wetsanding.

Re: paint job on a budget!? [Re: Exit1965] #22369
03/31/06 12:32 PM
03/31/06 12:32 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

Cool. that test area didn't take me more than 3 minutes to "polish", I guess I didnt spend enough time on it. My issue now is I should have used more than 180 on the final surface before starting, I'm seeing lots of scratches in there that I think are too big to be from the fine grit sandpaper during wetsanding.

180 is way to harsh to prep with, i'd say 300-400 final prep at least. polishing is tricky, you can achieve fast results with a harsher or higher grit equivelant polish compound, or take your time and use a fine compound, the benifit to the finer compound (turtle wax polishing compound paste) is that there is virtually no way to burn or damage the paint with it even if you polish for hours, it only gets better, there are many polishing coumpounds available, i only reccommended the turtle wax polishing compound cause for a amature it's easy to get awesome results, and the chances of really screwing up are very slim. like painting, polishing and wetsanding is also a learned skill. i could have reccommended the 3M 3 step process compounds, but most likely, if you've never done it before you will really screw up. turtle wax polishing compound works really nice with a electric buffer and water, goes a long way, and is very cheap, and i found it to be the best polish compound for this job, i have a shelf full of 3M, mothers, meguires, ect....never use the stuff after i tried the turtle wax stuff. but if you know what your'e doing, use what your confortable with, just don't complain when you burn the paint!!!! lol keep in mind the paint is fresh when polishing, and cutting it with a harsh compound is not wise, sometimes the the cheapest is the best.....sometimes; we are all on a "budget" after all are'nt we????.

Page 44 of 85 1 2 42 43 44 45 46 84 85