08/15/16 08:47 AM
08/15/16 08:47 AM
SC
B
BowtieKillr Offline OP
BowtieKillr  Offline OP
B

SC
Ive been doing all the Herb Mcandless oiling mods mentioned in previous post to a 512 build. If you block off the lifter galley at the back of the block with the small cup plug for solid rollers how is the rockers going to get oil on that bank. Ive rotated the cam bearing to close off the galleys from there . Does the block have galley from one side of the rocker supply over the top of the #4 cam bearing to supply both heads ???? Is there a galley there ?

Re: One last Oiling modification questions [Re: BowtieKillr] #2133330
08/15/16 09:42 AM
08/15/16 09:42 AM
Central TEXAS!!!!
sr4440 Offline
super stock
sr4440  Offline
super stock

Central TEXAS!!!!
if you do not have pressure oiling to the pushrods or the axle wheel, then oil splash will be enough. that being said I put a .020 hole in mine.

Joe

Without Data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.
Re: One last Oiling modification questions [Re: BowtieKillr] #2133540
08/15/16 02:42 PM
08/15/16 02:42 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
You really do need to oil the rockers upYou can do that by running a oil line from the passenger side oil galley to the rocker arm oil passage on the drivers side and block that passage below where you drill and tap the block for that line scope thumbs Some of the old oiling patches are just that, a bandaid shruggy

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: One last Oiling modification questions [Re: BowtieKillr] #2133562
08/15/16 03:09 PM
08/15/16 03:09 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Online content
Don't question me!
Stanton  Online Content
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
Quote:
Ive rotated the cam bearing to close off the galleys from there .

So as it stands after this statement, you have absolutely ZERO oil flowing to the top end.

A line as Cab states will only oil one head, you still need to oil the other one. Drill through the block at the head oiling passage straight through into the oil galley (a 1/8" bit). This will allow oil from the galley to the head. Now drill, tap and plug the outer hole so oil doesn't pour out there. You still need to run a line as Cab describes.

Re: One last Oiling modification questions [Re: Stanton] #2134180
08/16/16 10:32 AM
08/16/16 10:32 AM
SC
B
BowtieKillr Offline OP
BowtieKillr  Offline OP
B

SC
I did drill into the main oil galley in both banks at the # 4 cam bearing and then tapped the top to plug to give the vertical rocker passages continuos oil flow from the lifter galleys with a restrictor in the deck of the block.
My question is , If you bolck the lifter galley from the back of the block at the cross over with the CUP Plug for the solid lifters then I dont see a way for oil to feed the rockers coming from that main lifter galley on that bank unless their is a cross over passage at the #4 cam bearing that will feed both heads.
I dont think there is one ,so now with the drivers side blocked and no way for oil to reach the rockers from the drivers side lifter galley your saying to run a external line to the head from the cross over at the back of the block. These are TF heads. Anyone got any pics of this . Thanks

Re: One last Oiling modification questions [Re: BowtieKillr] #2134241
08/16/16 12:08 PM
08/16/16 12:08 PM
Central TEXAS!!!!
sr4440 Offline
super stock
sr4440  Offline
super stock

Central TEXAS!!!!
Originally Posted By BowtieKillr
I did drill into the main oil galley in both banks at the # 4 cam bearing and then tapped the top to plug to give the vertical rocker passages continuos oil flow from the lifter galleys with a restrictor in the deck of the block.
My question is , If you bolck the lifter galley from the back of the block at the cross over with the CUP Plug for the solid lifters then I dont see a way for oil to feed the rockers coming from that main lifter galley on that bank unless their is a cross over passage at the #4 cam bearing that will feed both heads.
I dont think there is one ,so now with the drivers side blocked and no way for oil to reach the rockers from the drivers side lifter galley your saying to run a external line to the head from the cross over at the back of the block. These are TF heads. Anyone got any pics of this . Thanks

what was left out is there should be a crossover line install between the two oil galley that feed the heads. (see arrows)

EDIT: OK, I reread the instructions on the other "oil" thread. if you drilled thru the rocker galley into both main oil galleys then you can not block off at the back of the block.

what I did was to drill into the main oil galley on the right side and just into the rocker galley on the left side, then run a crossover line. this allowed me to block off the left side main galley to the lifters.

28774304711_5811370a6d_o.jpg
Last edited by sr4440; 08/16/16 12:53 PM.

Re: One last Oiling modification questions [Re: sr4440] #2135669
08/18/16 07:59 AM
08/18/16 07:59 AM
SC
B
BowtieKillr Offline OP
BowtieKillr  Offline OP
B

SC
Thanks SR,
Thats what I was thinking since I did drill into both vertical passages at #4 cam bearing for full time oiling then I could not block off the lifter galley with the cup plug.
I am using solid roller lifters with presasurized oil to the axel.
Anymore Thoughts.

I guess the next build I will drill into one side only and add a crossover line from one vertical passage to the other.

I did see someone post a pick of their set up where they ran external lines to the back of each head and I guess drilled into the rocker shaft pedestal from outside the head. That looked chancey to me.

Re: One last Oiling modification questions [Re: BowtieKillr] #2135707
08/18/16 10:35 AM
08/18/16 10:35 AM
Central TEXAS!!!!
sr4440 Offline
super stock
sr4440  Offline
super stock

Central TEXAS!!!!
Thanks SR,
Thats what I was thinking since I did drill into both vertical passages at #4 cam bearing for full time oiling then I could not block off the lifter galley with the cup plug.
I am using solid roller lifters with presasurized oil to the axel.
Anymore Thoughts.

I guess the next build I will drill into one side only and add a crossover line from one vertical passage to the other.

I did see someone post a pick of their set up where they ran external lines to the back of each head and I guess drilled into the rocker shaft pedestal from outside the head. That looked chancey to me.

If you have pressurized oil to the axle, that galley has to have oil. So on your next build unless you get "regular" roller lifters you will be in the same boat.

Be sure to restrict the oil up in the head, I think mine are .030, because you are going to have a bunch of oil up there.

Not sure of the pic you seen but oiling from the back is the way INDY heads are done on a BB.

take care

Joe

Re: One last Oiling modification questions [Re: sr4440] #2135940
08/18/16 04:00 PM
08/18/16 04:00 PM
SC
B
BowtieKillr Offline OP
BowtieKillr  Offline OP
B

SC
SR , I did drill and tap the oil passage at the deck and installed restrictors . Just got to trial and error to see what size orifice to use. I have .070 in them now. First I had .040's in them and got sceered that wouldnt be enough. Are you having good success with the .030 orifice .

Re: One last Oiling modification questions [Re: BowtieKillr] #2136495
08/19/16 10:55 AM
08/19/16 10:55 AM
Central TEXAS!!!!
sr4440 Offline
super stock
sr4440  Offline
super stock

Central TEXAS!!!!
SR , I did drill and tap the oil passage at the deck and installed restrictors . Just got to trial and error to see what size orifice to use. I have .070 in them now. First I had .040's in them and got sceered that wouldnt be enough. Are you having good success with the .030 orifice .

I run B-1 heads and I still think I might be putting too much oil up top. Next time I take the engine apart I going to change to .025's. On a stock engine it puts a timed squirt once every revolution and that was enough for 100,000 miles.

if you wanted to experiment, after you get it together you could prime it with the valve covers off and see the amount for yourself.

Re: One last Oiling modification questions [Re: sr4440] #2136736
08/19/16 05:48 PM
08/19/16 05:48 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
I just finished preoiling a 360 to check my mods & it is oiling up top pretty good, not sure if too much or too little but it'll be a high RPM dirt tracker so I assume it'll be OK as is. .062" full time oiling to both heads (from mains not from the cam). 273 adj rockers. welded shut hole on rocker top. tapped/plugged with setscrews the holes on the sides of the rockers on the pushrod side. drilled new 1/8" holes in shaft on the pushrod side lined up with the inner rocker hole already there, with valves closed. drilled 1/8 holes in rocker sides and on thru to/thru the shaft to oil the valve tip when valve closed (shaft/rocker holes line up when valve closed). plugged the OE holes in the side of the shaft that are way off & now unused, with birdshot. kept the holes in the banana grooves on the bottom of the shafts. looks like the splash will hit the springs which is a bennie

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth