INDIANA
P
Paul Jacobs Offline OP
super stock
Paul Jacobs  Offline OP
super stock
P

INDIANA
Man it seems as though winter has brought out the worst in everyone here on moparts. A lot of bashing & name-calling that has never been a part of this forum has crept up and it doesn't sit well with a lot of us. I wonder how many new (or young)people look on this site and think "wow, is that how adults act?". Anyway, I want to share my point of view that some of you may find interesting. When I first got into this hobby I was only 15. I had a nice 69 Charger that I thought I would tub and narrow to build into a pro-street. I was into racing and fast street cars for about 8 years and got tired of that and quickly started to gain interest in original cars and the way they were built. It was a challenge to me, which I have always loved. It still is, and I think that some people do not understand what makes someone want to restore a car to perfection and build "trailer queens". Simple answer, to preserve history and try to push yourself to do the best you can. Just as some of you enjoy making your race car faster etc..Just think if there were no examples of original cars or "trailer queens"-wheres the history preservation. What if every town you went in had all the old beautiful homes turned into apartment complexes-everyone would say "what a shame". I have owned some "trailer queens" but never would again, but I will build them for other people who have an interest in that field. My most enjoyment comes from building cars with personality, believe it or not! My main point is tolerance on this board and trying to understand different peoples motivations without being so judgemental and hateful. If you hate restored trailer queens then why would you come on the A12/resto forum? If you hate cutting up rare cars why would you visit the race forum and bash those guys.
Some of the best friends I have are on this board. I dont always agree with everything they post or their tact, and a lot of them dont even like each other, but the personal insults are getting very old. Thanks for letting me rant, best wishes to all.

Re: Why some people restore cars [Re: Paul Jacobs] #213532
02/04/09 07:21 AM
02/04/09 07:21 AM
Kentucky
F
fc7freak Offline
fc7freak  Offline
F

Kentucky
Paul I agree! David B.

Re: Why some people restore cars [Re: fc7freak] #213533
02/04/09 09:14 AM
02/04/09 09:14 AM
danville, IN USA
C
CHALLENGER_KEN Offline
super stock
CHALLENGER_KEN  Offline
super stock
C

danville, IN USA
Hey Paul I've got an idea, lets you and I combine our skills and build a concours, pro touring, resto mod!!!
Then everyone would be happy
Ken

Re: Why some people restore cars [Re: Paul Jacobs] #213534
02/04/09 09:23 AM
02/04/09 09:23 AM
Georgetown Ontario Canada
anlauto Offline
I Live Here
anlauto  Offline
I Live Here

Georgetown Ontario Canada
Funny thing...I was thinking the very same thing this week...Must be the Winter Blahs....
I love restoring cars as well, it's been my passion for over 25 years..
I was raised with the idea of "if you have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything".....that's why it baffles me to no end how someone can take the time to type negative comments for no reason other then to stir the pot....

Makes no sense to me...

Cheers to all and lets get this Winter over with

Re: Why some people restore cars [Re: anlauto] #213535
02/04/09 10:17 AM
02/04/09 10:17 AM
Atlanta Indiana
D
Dave Watt Offline
master
Dave Watt  Offline
master
D

Atlanta Indiana
Quote:

I was raised with the idea of "if you have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything"

Maybe we should step away from the keyboard and get building something cool, I'm with you Ken.

Re: Why some people restore cars [Re: anlauto] #213536
02/04/09 10:21 AM
02/04/09 10:21 AM
70RT Offline
mopar
70RT  Offline
mopar

Great post Paul! I have echoed those words on this forum before but to no avail. Much like you I started out with a passion for bracket racing. Bought an original numbers matching 70 Super Bee and the first thing I did when I got back home was to throw the back seat in the apartment dumpster! Then gave away the original Holley carb, changed the intake, y'all know the drill. Over the years since then I began to appreciate the details of original cars and that led to trying to build an original looking "driver." I wanted it correct but I also built one I could drive in the rain for three hours if that's what I needed to do. Point being, you can have it both ways. I still love to go fast, and that won't ever leave me, but I also enjoy the efforts of guys like you, Frank Badalson, Joe Arsenault, Steven Julianao, Dave Walden and others who ferret out the little details. I believe, as you do Paul, there's plenty of room here for everybody’s interest.

Re: Why some people restore cars [Re: Dave Watt] #213537
02/04/09 10:28 AM
02/04/09 10:28 AM
near Port Huron, MI
Paul Offline
master
Paul  Offline
master

near Port Huron, MI
The anonymity of an online persona make's it easy for people to act tough and say things they normally wouldn't say to one's face. And then some people are just jerks no matter what the environment...

Re: Why some people restore cars [Re: fc7freak] #213538
02/04/09 11:04 AM
02/04/09 11:04 AM
Detroit
Kidsixpack Offline
master
Kidsixpack  Offline
master

Detroit
Paul
Nice to hear from you! Are you working on any A12 cars in the shop? Planning on bringing anything to the A12 reunion? Just saw Danny's Bee in Hemmings looking cool as ever and thought of you!
On the topic of the people here on Moparts I think that when we see eachother in person at a show all this silly banter on the internet is forgotten As for me personally I'm actually a face to face kind of guy I bite my toung on here and keep notes

On your perspective of restorations I remember what got me into the stock Mopar scene! It was 1986 and I met a guy that was putting a 70 six pack Super Bee back to stock. He was gathering all of the newly available resto. parts from YO and MCO and I just thought that was the coolest idea ever, to return something back to original. I couldn't even change from an original color now!
KID

Re: Why some people restore cars [Re: anlauto] #213539
02/04/09 11:13 AM
02/04/09 11:13 AM
Southern Maryland
klunick Offline
master
klunick  Offline
master

Southern Maryland
This is why many of here do not post an awful lot. If someone has a question that I can answer and I know for a fact, I will respond, but I have no interest in getting into a wissing contest on this board.

67 Barracuda FB 69 Superbee "Southern Maryland: If you want a good looking woman, you had better bring her with you"
Re: Why some people restore cars [Re: klunick] #213540
02/04/09 01:17 PM
02/04/09 01:17 PM
INDIANA
P
Paul Jacobs Offline OP
super stock
Paul Jacobs  Offline OP
super stock
P

INDIANA
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who fails to post so as not to get into a pissing match either. You know, I have been fortunate and honored to win 3 OE golds in a row and 2 best of shows, but guess what? I would have NEVER been able to do it without the knowledge and help of my friends on this board (Gary Plesinger, Scott Smith, Mike@Alltrim, Dave Walden, Mike Ross, and many others!!!)and most importantly my partner Troy Angelly and our crew, including my dad who got me into this in the first place. There is no better collection of knowledge than here so we better realize that before a lot of people go away and never return. Ken-I love that idea-after all we are only a couple hours away! I'll talk to ya at the Indy swap meet. Oh and I think Veek might be taking his Bee to Carlisle-cant wait to see all those 6bbl cars again!!!

Re: Why some people restore cars [Re: Paul Jacobs] #213541
02/04/09 02:12 PM
02/04/09 02:12 PM
Kelowna, B.C. Canada
D
DPelletier Offline
I Live Here
DPelletier  Offline
I Live Here
D

Kelowna, B.C. Canada
I'm with you guys; there SHOULD be enough room for diverse interests in this hobby and intolerance....well it shouldn't be tolerated!

I will admit that my interests lie in stock or stock appearing cars but I have no problem with others enjoying the hobby in thier own fashion.

Likewise, I intend to drive my car (race it actually) but what's with all the hate for so called "trailer queens" or restored cars? I don't get it. It gets REALLY old sometimes.....nah make that ALL the time. For the life of me, I can't see why someone would complain about or belittle people who have taken the time and effort to preserve and restore these cars.

Anyhow;

Dave

1970 Super Bee 440 Six Pack 1974 'Cuda 2008 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Ram 3500 Diesel 2004.5 Ram 2500 Diesel 2003 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Durango Limited [url] http://1970superbee.piczo.com [/url]
Re: Why some people restore cars [Re: DPelletier] #213542
02/04/09 02:33 PM
02/04/09 02:33 PM
Millersville, PA
HemiChallenger Offline
master
HemiChallenger  Offline
master

Millersville, PA
Well i completely agree with what your say but the reality of it is that thing wont change. People will be people and there are always some that just dont have manners. Ive been put down some times on this board and ive learned to just be the stronger one and ignore it.

BUT my ranting would continue on to just a few folks on here that if you ask a question they have to be a complete jacka$$ when replying as if you should know. Well obviously you dont know if you asking and the guy asking is just curious to learn

Re: Why some people restore cars [Re: HemiChallenger] #213543
02/04/09 02:41 PM
02/04/09 02:41 PM
White Plains, NY
VCODE Offline
top fuel
VCODE  Offline
top fuel

White Plains, NY

Lets just get along and play nice in the sand box

We are all in this for the same basic reason.
The Love of our Mopars
Bob

Mom & Dad let me buy a brand new 70 Challenger R/T 440 Six-Pack Super Trac Pack when I was 17

(Robert what is a 440 Six-Pack)
Re: Why some people restore cars [Re: VCODE] #213544
02/04/09 02:47 PM
02/04/09 02:47 PM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Paul, good to hear from you! It is definitely wintertime on Moparts, this stuff happens every year, but the way the economy is and how freaked out people are nowadays it has gotten a tad to the silly side, even for Moparts! I hope one day we will all come to the realization that we are all in this Mopar thing together, and not start going insane like the Chivvy boys out there... C'MON SPRING

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Why some people restore cars [Re: Rhinodart] #213545
02/04/09 03:06 PM
02/04/09 03:06 PM
The Last Frontier
Alaska_A12 Offline
master
Alaska_A12  Offline
master

The Last Frontier
I lurk far more than post these days.

There are people I have "met" through this board that have shared knowledge, parts, time, and laughs with me all long distance. Some enjoyed my post about a crazy solo nine day trip to get my car up here from North Carolina 5 years ago.

Those positives far outway the few times that a limited number of individuals sought personal attention via idiotic threats and grandios statements.

When it comes to humans it is what it is. Occasionally there are some in the herd that seek attention. Doesn't change the fact we should all be in this together.

Don't let the rare negatives out weigh the many positives by letting the few rain on your parade.

(No bashing my incorrect hood pins )

5000601-A12rain.jpg (65 downloads)

______________________________________________ http://regcars.homestead.com/car107.html
Re: Why some people restore cars [Re: Paul Jacobs] #213546
02/04/09 03:14 PM
02/04/09 03:14 PM
Colorado
D
denfireguy Offline
top fuel
denfireguy  Offline
top fuel
D

Colorado
Too bad you felt the need to post this. I am a relative newbie to the board and feel exactly the way you do.
I am on the wrong side of 60 and have had a lot of experience doing things the wrong way and the right way. I know there are a lot of guys here who have even more experience but like me have been intimidated from posting. No one is 100% right (except my wife but that would be another post). If I do give bad information, I hope I am corrected. When you stop learning, it's time for the dirt nap.
This board has been a tremendous help to me and I am sure it will continue to be. I just hope I can contribute.
Just remember, some of the people asking for advice were not even born when your precious car rolled out of Lynch Road or Hamtramck. They are the ones who may inherit your classic. If you don't want them to put a Honda CVCC in your Challenger, treat them nice.

Craig

2014 Ram 1500 Laramie, 73 Cuda
Previous mopars: 62 Valiant, 65 Fury III, 68 Fury III, 72 Satellite, 74 Satellite, 89 Acclaim, 98 Caravan, 2003 Durango
Only previous Non-Mopar: Schwinn Tornado
Re: Why some people restore cars [Re: Alaska_A12] #213547
02/04/09 04:08 PM
02/04/09 04:08 PM
Atlanta Indiana
D
Dave Watt Offline
master
Dave Watt  Offline
master
D

Atlanta Indiana
Quote:

Or your incorrect clips.

Re: Why some people restore cars [Re: Dave Watt] #213548
02/04/09 04:19 PM
02/04/09 04:19 PM
The Last Frontier
Alaska_A12 Offline
master
Alaska_A12  Offline
master

The Last Frontier
Quote:

Quote:

Or your incorrect clips.

Just couldn't resist could ya?

______________________________________________ http://regcars.homestead.com/car107.html
Re: Why some people restore cars [Re: Paul Jacobs] #213549
02/04/09 04:20 PM
02/04/09 04:20 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Good post.

People have strong ideas about their cars and the hobby. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but some get pretty nasty when others don't agree with THEIR ideas. I try to take the high road and keep the emotions out of it which is sometimes hard when people start slinging mud at you.

Here is something I posted sometime ago on another site.

What does restore really mean? Obviously, it can mean many different things to different people.

Some people prefer to buy a car unrestored because they feel that a restored car can be hiding poor quality work with fresh paint. Some feel that if the undercarriage is painted in an area that should have a natural rusted finish that the owner has taken a shortcut and if they do that on one componant where else did they take short cuts you can't see.

I like a car with a combination of factory original and a day two features, that may have period correct aftermarket wheels, headers, etc.

My personal preference is to build a car for factory appearence when you see it drive by or at you first casual glance when sitting with the hood opened at a parking lot show. This gives me the liberty to do internal engine modifications, hide upgrade electronics, add some modern day creature comforts, etc. without destroying the original classic look of the car that I bought it for in the first place.

I don't concern myself what some show judge thinks a certain item should be finished as to be correct, I don't leave items unpainted to rust to a correct patina but rather paint them so they don't rust.

It seems to me from looking at many cars at casual parking lot shows that I am with the majority. There is a place for every type of restoration, just some people find it difficult to accept what is, or is not important to others.

Re: Why some people restore cars #213550
02/04/09 04:58 PM
02/04/09 04:58 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
Thanks for the posts, all of you. It does get pretty ridiculous on here from time to time (as it also does at car shows), but internet stuff in general tends to get vicious because people can hide behind their monitors & keyboards and spew their arrogance. Waste of time, and a bring-down to all.
Done the Original thing, do the racecar thing, and lately have been into the "factory 1-of-none" thing. Variety is nice, and I'm fortunate to be deluded enough that I think I can afford all 3.
I've had the priviledge countless times here to learn from others, and I hope I've contributed some value with what I've seen & done. As for the newbie guys, we all start out as newbies, and the best way to move beyond that is to do the research, read the good material out there, collect the brochures & whatever, and post enough info with a question to make it easier for others to provide an accurate answer.
That said, I frequently find really funny stuff here - keep up the joke threads! - as well as a ton of info, great videos, parts, etc.
Occasionally we'll get bashed for a comment, and it's easy to feel anger about it; in my case, what I know is from being involved with these cars since the '60s, but I've seen exceptions to the hard & fast rules, too. It's more constructive to post pics or documentation of "correct" things than to post something that's merely judgemental, so that we can educate each other & discuss differences instead of attacking.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3