02/01/09 05:45 PM
Port Alberni, British Columbia
MoparDonny Offline
top fuel
MoparDonny  Offline
top fuel

Quote:

FWIW I generally think the "buy back" guys, or "mulligan" racers in this scenario, should have to go into a separate group and race each other, OR be out of the main money race all together and race for a much lesser purse.

In all fairness of the sport, that's the way I'd want it. Let the better (or luckier!! ) guys go on into the big money and the losers(of the first round) could still enjoy some more racing instead of putting it on the trailer. I hate driving 3 hours one way and 100 bucks of fuel to get 3 passes and head home.
I think everyone involved would be feeling better with it like that.

Don.

Re: Sad story of poor sportsmanship at a Mopar race [Re: Monte_Smith] #210444
02/01/09 05:50 PM
02/01/09 05:50 PM
Carstairs, Alberta, Canada
dave571 Offline
master
dave571  Offline
master

Carstairs, Alberta, Canada
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

FWIW I generally think the "buy back" guys, or "mulligan" racers in this scenario, should have to go into a separate group and race each other, OR be out of the main money race all together and race for a much lesser purse.

Thats a good idea for all tracks, buy backs race for their own "buy back purse" .

Why? What difference does it make,

Why? Because a buy back should be a chance for the track to make a little more money, and the racer a chance to get more seat time.

NOT a way to buy back into the competiton after you lose.

You lose, you're out of competition. That's the way sport works.
Everybody knows that 1/2 the cars are back ont he trailer after the first round. That's what drag racing is.

I have run buyback rounds,(as a seperate group) and am fine with that. It's just for fun at that stage.
I have never bought back into competion, and generally feel that to do so is complete BS.

Re: Sad story of poor sportsmanship at a Mopar race [Re: Quicktree] #210445
02/01/09 05:51 PM
02/01/09 05:51 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have always said if you want a mulligan go play golf If you want to race when you lose you lose and you are out...We raced the same guy three times at a bracket race last year...I my eyes that is just silly...

4992405-coronet007.jpg (19 downloads)
Last edited by poppa J; 02/01/09 05:53 PM.
Re: Sad story of poor sportsmanship at a Mopar race [Re: MoparDonny] #210446
02/01/09 05:53 PM
Rock Springs
Bob_Coomer Offline
master
Bob_Coomer  Offline
master

Rock Springs
Cheating is cheating as said. I agree, about the buybacks, the local track here need the extra cash. Except, at our tracks, the buyback racers race ONLY buyback racers that are winners, untill way down in the laddar.

[color:"red"]65 Hemi Belvedere coming soon [/color]
[color:"#00FF00"]557" Indy engine 1.07 60ft 144mph in the 8th 2100 lbs package [/color]
Re: Sad story of poor sportsmanship at a Mopar race [Re: dave571] #210447
MoparDonny Offline
top fuel
MoparDonny  Offline
top fuel

That's a better way in my books Dave!!

Don.

Re: Sad story of poor sportsmanship at a Mopar race [Re: bigdad] #210448
02/01/09 06:21 PM
02/01/09 06:21 PM
Central New York
slippery440 Offline
Crybaby440
slippery440  Offline
Crybaby440

Central New York
Sounds to me like your club made several mistakes.
No one checking the buy back cards.Some signed some not.
Not enough cars to pay out the purse so you had to run around to collect the buy back money.
How long ago this happen?
Did the so called cheater that did buy a buy back so really was not a cheater but just a good freind that let his buddy use the unsigned card.Did ether win the race or any money?
Stop racing stay home Quote Long story short no more Moparama dash for cash for me,us , we
You chose to put 1,000.00 in Why?
So what do you want us as mopar members do? Find the poor guy that did win the money and take it back because he may of lost to a car that these guys beat? All this is about you want them to feel sorry for what they did.Take this post over to the general and post right before MY CAT DIED.
I race all summer at a track with buy backs and never complained[Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean] because it keeps the track open.Your club was not perpared to loose money so you had a meeting and put in buy backs..I would say you put the screws to the racers that came to race for 25 bucks then ether had to anti up 15 more just in caase they lost first round.The ones that didn't might say you were cheating.

Last edited by slippery440; 02/01/09 07:37 PM.

If the MODS did their job I would not be hitting the notify MOD button. LOL
Re: Sad story of poor sportsmanship at a Mopar race [Re: slippery440] #210449
02/01/09 06:38 PM
02/01/09 06:38 PM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Offline
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Offline
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
JMHO, but 1 Mulligan was bought and 1 was used. No big deal.

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Re: Sad story of poor sportsmanship at a Mopar race [Re: Monte_Smith] #210450
02/01/09 06:40 PM
02/01/09 06:40 PM
The Swamp
S
Sixpak Offline
master
Sixpak  Offline
master
S

The Swamp
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thats a good idea for all tracks, buy backs race for their own "buy back purse" .

Why? What difference does it make, if you have to run a car that bought back or not. You have to go (x) amount of rounds to win a race. Why would it really matter if you ran the same guy every round. Cut a light, run the number, win the race. Every track wants to pay a decent purse and racers want to race for a decent purse, so why begrudge a track for allowing buy backs, to get some extra cash. The first reason you always hear, "they don't put the buyback money in the purse", again, so what. It takes money to keep the gates of that track open, for you to come out and race for that guaranteed money, in front of empty stands. It would be nice if all the racers could be on the track owner or promoters side of things, just one time and see how hard it is to keep a track open and halfway updated and on top of that, provide you with a living, if you don't have a real job.

Monte

The only problem with the above is that 'x' number of rounds can change based on the whims of the losers - whether they choose to buy back or not. If I have to go another round because someone bought back in then it's as if I was racing on a ladder that was that much bigger, and therefore the pot would have been greater to begin with. Going more rounds should equal more money to win - fair and simple. I shouldn't have to beat on my equipment 'x' number of more rounds due to buybacks and have nothing additional, providing I won of course, to show for it. Tires, gas, wear and tear, etc. and all the other things per round add up for the car owner too.

If they want to buy back in let them buy into a losers race.

Re: Sad story of poor sportsmanship at a Mopar race [Re: Sixpak] #210451
02/01/09 06:44 PM
02/01/09 06:44 PM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Offline
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Offline
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
Maybe we need to go back to like the old days. They paid 4 places and you had to race for 3rd and 4th place money. No round money, no buy backs, no mulligans.

Oh yeah, if you both redlit or broke out you both lost too.

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Re: Sad story of poor sportsmanship at a Mopar race [Re: Bob_Coomer] #210452
02/01/09 06:53 PM
02/01/09 06:53 PM
Mt. Vernon, Ohio
dartman366 Offline
I Live Here
dartman366  Offline
I Live Here

Mt. Vernon, Ohio
Quote:

Cheating is cheating as said. I agree, about the buybacks, the local track here need the extra cash. Except, at our tracks, the buyback racers race ONLY buyback racers that are winners, untill way down in the laddar.

I hate cheater's,,,that said, I am not real fond of buyback's, but understand why they do it,as far as the best way to go about doing buyback's,, see above quote.

Light travels faster than the speed of sound,,,this is why some people seem bright untill you hear them speak.
Re: Sad story of poor sportsmanship at a Mopar race [Re: dartman366] #210453
02/01/09 07:20 PM
02/01/09 07:20 PM
Red Deer, Alberta
B
bill_greenwood Offline
top fuel
bill_greenwood  Offline
top fuel
B

Red Deer, Alberta
You know, the buyback thing has a simple solution. Create a "B event" for the first round losers who want to go more rounds. Pay your $10 or $20 up front, and all the first round losers who have paid into the pool get to race for all the cash in that pool. I've never agreed with a buyback that allows you into the second round against the pool of racers who just beat you. If the track is on board, you can even then run an A Vs. B final. That is somewhat like the way a curling bonspiel is run.

Re: Sad story of poor sportsmanship at a Mopar race [Re: dartman366] #210454
02/01/09 07:32 PM
02/01/09 07:32 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Correct me if I am wrong, but all the tracks around here, have a set purse. It pays (x) amount of dollars to win Pro ET. I have seen as many as 200 cars and as few as 40. So really, no matter how many cars are there, if EVERY first round loser bought back, you would only add one round of racing. Hardly a huge wear and tear expense on anybodys equipment. As far as a "buybacks only" race, that would mean the extra cash would go to that purse and as stated before, the track could possibly use that cash to help pay for other things. When I bracket raced, I went to try and win and therefore make money. If buybacks were available and I got beat, I bought back, period. I treated it as a paid test pass, because the actual race generally started well after the last time trial. So I set up for first round on kill and let it eat. Won more than once after buying back. You can't win sitting in the trailer. Personally, I don't care who is in the other lane. Don't care if they bought back or not. I have a better package, I win.

Monte

Re: Sad story of poor sportsmanship at a Mopar race [Re: dartman366] #210455
02/01/09 07:33 PM
Rittman Ohio
fourgearsavoy Offline
I Live Here
fourgearsavoy  Offline
I Live Here

Rittman Ohio
The only time I hate buybacks is when the guy that bought back beats you in the third round.
That being said I have bought back at big money races before
Maybe they should run them like the local short track guys do like the Hooligan race for the guys that couldn't qualify and the winner goes on to the big race at the rear of the field
Gus

64 Plymouth Savoy
493 Indy EZ's by Nick at Compu-Flow
5-Speed Richmond faceplate Liberty box
Dana 60
Re: Sad story of poor sportsmanship at a Mopar race [Re: Monte_Smith] #210456
pa
K
Kyle Reasbeck Offline
enthusiast
Kyle Reasbeck  Offline
enthusiast
K

pa
Here's a good read for everyone...the true math on buybacks:

http://www.competitionplus.com/2006_01/buybacks.html

Re: Sad story of poor sportsmanship at a Mopar race [Re: bill_greenwood] #210457
02/01/09 07:36 PM
02/01/09 07:36 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
I dont mind the buy backs if they race one another
till (we will say 4 cars left) and then they fall in
with the regular prize money guys, at least that way
you arent running the same guys over and over running
your equipment into the dirt... JMO

Re: Sad story of poor sportsmanship at a Mopar race [Re: MR_P_BODY] #210458
02/01/09 07:45 PM
02/01/09 07:45 PM
KENTUCKY
69CHARGERMD Offline
master
69CHARGERMD  Offline
master

KENTUCKY
Kyle,,,that was a good read.........thanks for the post.

Re: Sad story of poor sportsmanship at a Mopar race [Re: Monte_Smith] #210459
02/01/09 07:46 PM
02/01/09 07:46 PM
Mt.Vernon ,Ohio
VernMotor Offline
master
VernMotor  Offline
master

Mt.Vernon ,Ohio
Quote:

Correct me if I am wrong, but all the tracks around here, have a set purse. It pays (x) amount of dollars to win Pro ET. I have seen as many as 200 cars and as few as 40. So really, no matter how many cars are there, if EVERY first round loser bought back, you would only add one round of racing. Hardly a huge wear and tear expense on anybodys equipment. As far as a "buybacks only" race, that would mean the extra cash would go to that purse and as stated before, the track could possibly use that cash to help pay for other things. When I bracket raced, I went to try and win and therefore make money. If buybacks were available and I got beat, I bought back, period. I treated it as a paid test pass, because the actual race generally started well after the last time trial. So I set up for first round on kill and let it eat. Won more than once after buying back. You can't win sitting in the trailer. Personally, I don't care who is in the other lane. Don't care if they bought back or not. I have a better package, I win.

Monte

I agree !! 100% You go to track to race ..everyone get the chance to buy back ..At our track .the money go to the winner..I do not know of a track with in 100 miles of me that don't do buy back..good thing for the racers and the track..

Re: Sad story of poor sportsmanship at a Mopar race [Re: VernMotor] #210460
02/01/09 07:49 PM
02/01/09 07:49 PM
Kokomo, IN
540dust Offline
mopar
540dust  Offline
mopar

Kokomo, IN
Quote:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monte

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree !! 100% You go to track to race ..everyone get the chance to buy back ..At our track .the money go to the winner..I do not know of a track with in 100 miles of me that don't do buy back..good thing for the racers and the track..

Re: Sad story of poor sportsmanship at a Mopar race #210461
02/01/09 08:05 PM
02/01/09 08:05 PM
Btween a rock and a hard place
moparlulu Offline
super stock
moparlulu  Offline
super stock

Btween a rock and a hard place
Quote:

We raced the same guy three times at a bracket race last year...I my eyes that is just silly...

I don't mind first and second round buybacks. They lost most times both rounds. So to me their "easy prey". EAT EM!

Re: Sad story of poor sportsmanship at a Mopar race [Re: 540dust] #210462
02/01/09 08:14 PM
02/01/09 08:14 PM
State of Corruption
camdog440 Offline
pro stock
camdog440  Offline
pro stock

State of Corruption
It seems to me that there are some variations in rules from track to track or series to series.
That being said, when you pay your entry you are agreeing to participate by the rules established before the event. EVERYONE would be mad if the track changed the rules in the middle of the race. It sounds to me like these guys didn't follow the rules... but the event coordinators were a bit too trusting also.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3