fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline OP
master
cudaman1969  Offline OP
master
C

fredericksburg,va
Is anyone making exact duplicates of the trunk seal yet? Not the junk that's been selling for the last twenty years.

Re: Trunk seal [Re: cudaman1969] #2100293
06/28/16 11:55 PM
06/28/16 11:55 PM
Georgia
69bfan Offline
enthusiast
69bfan  Offline
enthusiast

Georgia
I have available the style that was available with the inner lip for the 63 through 70 cars. This was made off of my NOS sample. The original seals had a rope in them for removing from the mold. Also, if you look at a car with the original trunk seal, you may see possibly two to four areas where the seals were bonded together. The seal that was made up was a one piece run which does not have the splices. What is required is that the area where the inner lip is not needed, then you can simply take a new razor blade and trim off the inner lip so that it fits the trunk gutter properly. We have worked on putting the part number into the seal, but we have yet to refine a method that meets our standards. If you should be attending the show at Carlisle, stop by location in H129 through H143 and I can show you the seal that we carry. We will be at the Nats as well and you can find us usually in row T and U under the large tent.

www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com
Correct Mopar weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock and supply a wide assortment for all of your restoration needs.

www.dalescudashop.com
Correct style exhaust tips and hardware, fresh air seals, go wings, Cuda & Challenger rear window louvers, hood pin kits
Re: Trunk seal [Re: 69bfan] #2100343
06/29/16 12:53 AM
06/29/16 12:53 AM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline OP
master
cudaman1969  Offline OP
master
C

fredericksburg,va
Originally Posted By 69bfan
I have available the style that was available with the inner lip for the 63 through 70 cars. This was made off of my NOS sample. The original seals had a rope in them for removing from the mold. Also, if you look at a car with the original trunk seal, you may see possibly two to four areas where the seals were bonded together. The seal that was made up was a one piece run which does not have the splices. What is required is that the area where the inner lip is not needed, then you can simply take a new razor blade and trim off the inner lip so that it fits the trunk gutter properly. We have worked on putting the part number into the seal, but we have yet to refine a method that meets our standards. If you should be attending the show at Carlisle, stop by location in H129 through H143 and I can show you the seal that we carry. We will be at the Nats as well and you can find us usually in row T and U under the large tent.

I'll be at Carlisle and look you up. My original has a hole running the length of seal, is this where the rope you talked about went? That hole makes it easier to compress when shutting the trunk imo. I have 2-64s 2-69s and a 70 to fix

Re: Trunk seal [Re: cudaman1969] #2100386
06/29/16 01:52 AM
06/29/16 01:52 AM
Georgia
69bfan Offline
enthusiast
69bfan  Offline
enthusiast

Georgia
The rope was used to remove the seal from the mold and sometimes you will see fragments of it in original seals. It did not leave a hollow area. Starting in I believe May of 71, Chrysler went to basically a hollow style of the trunk weatherstrip that they had been using up to that time. If you can imagine a triangle that when you put pressure at the right point, it will collapse thus making a seal. As you expressed, it is more apt to compress to changes in pressure. Upon seeing the different styles, you will have a better understanding and workings of the seal. I will be sending you a private message as well.

www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com
Correct Mopar weatherstripping is our specialty, but we stock and supply a wide assortment for all of your restoration needs.

www.dalescudashop.com
Correct style exhaust tips and hardware, fresh air seals, go wings, Cuda & Challenger rear window louvers, hood pin kits