Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15
Re: engine missing carbon scoring inside distributor cap [Re: SomeCarGuy] #2032885
03/17/16 02:30 AM
03/17/16 02:30 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:
If the reluctor and the rotor are mounted to the same plate/shaft, the one advanced by the weights/springs, how can the rotor position not change in relation to the cap when the mechanical advance kicks in?
when you can, grab a dist in your hand or lock it in a vise. OR drill the hole in the cap/unhook the can/hookup light/run the RPM up/see what you see/holler back with what you see

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: engine missing carbon scoring inside distributor cap [Re: mickm] #2032887
03/17/16 02:35 AM
03/17/16 02:35 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Are you saying the pickup is what is moved in relation to the shaft, not the other way?

It will be months before i will be back home.

I want my fair share
Re: engine missing carbon scoring inside distributor cap [Re: SomeCarGuy] #2032902
03/17/16 03:29 AM
03/17/16 03:29 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
No, only vac adv moves the magnet (pickup). We are speaking only of mech adv so the magnet for our purposes is fixed (we are capping the can). mech adv twists the reluctor/rotor CW so that the tooth will reach the magnet sooner (mech advance) and when it does the rotor will be at the same clocking (RP) on the cap which does not make sense. I'd wait for someone to post a video. I knew from my work that mech adv did not change RP but I did not know why/how until I put a dist in my hands. its like a magic trick, you'll see when you get there & I would not have been able to grasp it mentally/figure it out WO having the dist in front of me to work with to defend my statement/position.

Re: engine missing carbon scoring inside distributor cap [Re: mickm] #2032927
03/17/16 07:47 AM
03/17/16 07:47 AM
pennsylvania
poboyengineering Offline
mopar
poboyengineering  Offline
mopar

pennsylvania
If you grab a distributor, you cannot turn the rotor and the drive gear or reluctor independently of each other. they are on the same shaft. The rotor appears to move in the timing light/hole-in-the-cap test because the only time you see the rotor is when the light fires(strobe). The light fires at different times because the timing is changing.
Hook up a mighty-vac to the vacuum can and pull, the plate moves the pickup relative to the rotor and reluctor. This is moving the same plate that the mechanical advance moves.
Reluctor phasing is important because the point where it triggers the pickup has to be when the rotor is in-line with the contacts on the cap.
If the rotor is truly changing position, it's because the drive gear is riding up, out of the oil pump as rpm increases.
What am I missing here?

Last edited by poboyengineering; 03/17/16 07:49 AM.

It may be ugly, but it sure is slow.

Girls comb their hair in rear view mirrors and the boys try to look so hard....
Re: engine missing carbon scoring inside distributor cap [Re: RapidRobert] #2032930
03/17/16 08:35 AM
03/17/16 08:35 AM
Canton, Ohio
S
Sport440 Offline
master
Sport440  Offline
master
S

Canton, Ohio
Ok, I got it now too. Using my example of being at a 350* mark it doesn't matter if the engine rotates the rotor/reluctor 10 more degrees or the mechanical advance does it. It will line up at the same exact phase with the cap and pickup. Boy, why was that so hard to understand.

Now, vacuum advance, that's a different story. Need to look into that next.

So, I was wrong, before. But understand it now. bow

Re: engine missing carbon scoring inside distributor cap [Re: poboyengineering] #2032958
03/17/16 10:06 AM
03/17/16 10:06 AM
Milwaukee WI
T
TRENDZ Offline
master
TRENDZ  Offline
master
T

Milwaukee WI
Originally Posted By poboyengineering
If you grab a distributor, you cannot turn the rotor and the drive gear or reluctor independently of each other. they are on the same shaft. The rotor appears to move in the timing light/hole-in-the-cap test because the only time you see the rotor is when the light fires(strobe). The light fires at different times because the timing is changing.
Hook up a mighty-vac to the vacuum can and pull, the plate moves the pickup relative to the rotor and reluctor. This is moving the same plate that the mechanical advance moves.
Reluctor phasing is important because the point where it triggers the pickup has to be when the rotor is in-line with the contacts on the cap.
If the rotor is truly changing position, it's because the drive gear is riding up, out of the oil pump as rpm increases.
What am I missing here?

No. The mechanical advance is handled by the shaft. The vacuum advance is added by moving the plate. They are additive.

"use it 'till it breaks, replace as needed"
Re: engine missing carbon scoring inside distributor cap [Re: poboyengineering] #2032997
03/17/16 11:19 AM
03/17/16 11:19 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Originally Posted By poboyengineering
What am I missing here?

That's what my understanding has been for decades. Im not seeing any way else the timing can advance.

I want my fair share
Re: engine missing carbon scoring inside distributor cap [Re: Sport440] #2033058
03/17/16 12:36 PM
03/17/16 12:36 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:
Boy, why was that so hard to understand.
I totally understand & I could not have grasped it either (in my mind) until I put a dist in front of me, cuz logic says: if the mech adv moves the reluctor and the reluctor and the rotor are locked together (& they definitely are) then how could the mech adv shifting the reluctor so the light fires earlier (advanced) NOT shift the rotor tip at the same time to where it'd be moved further around the cap terminals when the light fires. it is a magic trick! put a dist in a vise or even in your hand and hold it so the magnet and a tooth are at say 12 o'clock dead even & note the shaft rotor notch position which is 9 o'clock on this one in my hand (rotor tip at 3 0'clock but immaterial to this). Keep the magnet (housing) at 12 0'clock & rotate the tooth CCW several degrees CCW (to the left). then hold the housing and lower shaft immobile & grab the upper shaft/reluctor & twist it CW to the right against the springs till the tooth is back lined up with the magnet & lo and behold the rotor tip (RP) is the same (9 o'clock/no change) with the mech adv maxed out. its a hell of a trick. Mr P body are you with us. After all this I could use a steak today!

Re: engine missing carbon scoring inside distributor cap [Re: RapidRobert] #2033063
03/17/16 12:44 PM
03/17/16 12:44 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Originally Posted By RapidRobert
Quote:
Boy, why was that so hard to understand.
I totally understand & I could not have grasped it either (in my mind) until I put a dist in front of me, cuz logic says: if the mech adv moves the reluctor and the reluctor and the rotor are locked together (& they definitely are) then how could the mech adv shifting the reluctor so the light fires earlier (advanced) NOT shift the rotor tip at the same time to where it'd be moved further around the cap terminals when the light fires. it is a magic trick! put a dist in a vise or even in your hand and hold it so the magnet and a tooth are at say 12 o'clock dead even & note the shaft rotor notch position which is 9 o'clock on this one in my hand (rotor tip at 3 0'clock but immaterial to this). Keep the magnet (housing) at 12 0'clock & rotate the tooth CCW several degrees CCW (to the left). then hold the housing and lower shaft immobile & grab the upper shaft/reluctor & twist it CW to the right against the springs till the tooth is back lined up with the magnet & lo and behold the rotor tip (RP) is the same (9 o'clock/no change) with the mech adv maxed out. its a hell of a trick. Mr P body are you with us. After all this I could use a steak today!

What ever Trendz comes up with I will abide by... weather
I'm right or wrong.. I should be sending the dist out
today since I have to go to town
wave

Re: engine missing carbon scoring inside distributor cap [Re: SomeCarGuy] #2033069
03/17/16 12:50 PM
03/17/16 12:50 PM
Milwaukee WI
T
TRENDZ Offline
master
TRENDZ  Offline
master
T

Milwaukee WI
Guy "A" is standing next to guy "B".
Guy "B" takes one step back.
Guy "A" is ahead of guy "B" now, but he never moved.
Guy "A" is the upper distributor.
Guy "B" is the engine.
The mechanical advance is the step backward.

Re: engine missing carbon scoring inside distributor cap [Re: TRENDZ] #2033099
03/17/16 01:23 PM
03/17/16 01:23 PM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
I`ve never even checked rotor phasing on my junk but have been thinking about it for beers, I mean years biggrin ............time to check it out. Excellent post...........

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Re: engine missing carbon scoring inside distributor cap [Re: MR_P_BODY] #2033117
03/17/16 01:48 PM
03/17/16 01:48 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:
What ever Trendz comes up with I will abide by... weather
I'm right or wrong.. I should be sending the dist out
today since I have to go to town wave
Trendz has already confirmed my position. If the only reason you were going to send him a dist was so that he could resolve this, if I may suggest you save your time and shipping money. Thumper I have seen some dizzys with way off RP & a common symptom of that is missing at different vac levels when the can shifts the rotor far enough away from the cap terminal(s) to where the required voltage (to jump that gap) is greater than the available voltage & even getting close to that "limit" stresses the coil. there is also the radial distance which adds to the total gap distance. NAPA has a rotor with a longer blade but you can easily make your own (drill out the rivet) & get the radial gap dead on (.015) then get the circumferential distance (phasing) dead on also. reduce lower shaft end play to .005 with speedway shims or use common 1/2" ID washers & deburr the bevel on one side on the ID/OD made when they are stamped when being mfr'd. Add a side oiler like some of the old points ones had & if you ain't running the vac can you can temporarily add a can & pump it up with a mityvac till the phasing is dead on then drill down vertical into the two plates & lock them in that position with a mini bolt/nut with a spacer inbetween the two plates so they do not tilt when you tighten the bolt then remove the can or unhook the lever from the plate & just leave it to cover the side hole in the dist.

Re: engine missing carbon scoring inside distributor cap [Re: RapidRobert] #2033142
03/17/16 02:20 PM
03/17/16 02:20 PM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
I run a locked MSD dizzy does it still apply?

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Re: engine missing carbon scoring inside distributor cap [Re: Thumperdart] #2033148
03/17/16 02:30 PM
03/17/16 02:30 PM
Milwaukee WI
T
TRENDZ Offline
master
TRENDZ  Offline
master
T

Milwaukee WI
Originally Posted By Thumperdart

Yes. See the link to youtube I posted earlier.

Re: engine missing carbon scoring inside distributor cap [Re: TRENDZ] #2033202
03/17/16 03:43 PM
03/17/16 03:43 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Well I sent the dist out... so it is what it
is.. Rick you will have it Saturday... you can
keep it
wave

Re: engine missing carbon scoring inside distributor cap [Re: TRENDZ] #2033208
03/17/16 03:47 PM
03/17/16 03:47 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Originally Posted By TRENDZ
Originally Posted By Thumperdart

Yes. See the link to youtube I posted earlier.

Where is this link you posted... what page
EDIT
In that video it SHOWS it advancing.. that dist
only has mech advance.. and in that vid he said
about 25*
wave

Last edited by MR_P_BODY; 03/17/16 03:53 PM.
Re: engine missing carbon scoring inside distributor cap [Re: MR_P_BODY] #2033384
03/17/16 09:09 PM
03/17/16 09:09 PM
California
mickm Offline OP
master
mickm  Offline OP
master

California
for what it's worth, i'm with Mr P on this one. i saw this just when playing with the distributor by hand. as the mechanical advance comes into play, that changes the position of the reluctor, which moves the position of the rotor, which changes the position of the rotor to the terminal in the cap.

why then is the tip of the rotor so wide? if it didn't change in relation to the cap, it wouldn't need to be anywhere near that wide.

anyway, i'm going to drill a hole in my cap to make sure i got the new reluctor in the right position, so i'll made a video of that, if there isn't one posted here already. i won't get to it until late next week, so we'll see.

Re: engine missing carbon scoring inside distributor cap [Re: mickm] #2033405
03/17/16 09:46 PM
03/17/16 09:46 PM
Plymouth, MI
Blusmbl Offline
master
Blusmbl  Offline
master

Plymouth, MI
I just read the whole thread, and am with RapidRobert (and Trendz starting at page 2). The rotor phasing would only change with vacuum advance. Mechanical advance doesn't change the relationship between the reluctor and the rotor, just the relationship between the engine and the rotor.

'18 Ford Raptor, random motorcycles, 1968 Plymouth Fury III - 11.37 @ 118
Re: engine missing carbon scoring inside distributor cap [Re: Blusmbl] #2033414
03/17/16 10:02 PM
03/17/16 10:02 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Originally Posted By Blusmbl
I just read the whole thread, and am with RapidRobert (and Trendz starting at page 2). The rotor phasing would only change with vacuum advance. Mechanical advance doesn't change the relationship between the reluctor and the rotor, just the relationship between the engine and the rotor.

I have stated all along that the rotor tip will change
in relationship to the cap based on mech advance.. RR
says that mech advance will not change the location of
the rotor to the cap... that video CLEARLY shows it does
wave

Re: engine missing carbon scoring inside distributor cap [Re: MR_P_BODY] #2033442
03/17/16 10:36 PM
03/17/16 10:36 PM
California
mickm Offline OP
master
mickm  Offline OP
master

California
Originally Posted By MR_P_BODY

I have stated all along that the rotor tip will change
in relationship to the cap based on mech advance.. RR
says that mech advance will not change the location of