01/24/09 10:22 AM
01/24/09 10:22 AM
Houston Texas
PAINT IT BLACK Offline OP
Got a CHIP on my shoulder
PAINT IT BLACK  Offline OP

Houston Texas
My bumpers were chromed 8 years ago by a local shop. They sat for years. I took them out of the wrapper and installed them on the car. They were pretty nice... like the day they were chromed still. They were a little wavy though and didn't have quite a mirror finish.

Two years later and they are starting to rust in my humid shop. They shouldn't be rusting. They have a lifetime warranty, and the shop will honor it.

He says they use a double nickel process, not triple plating. I know what triple plating is (copper, nickel, chrome). What is double nickel? I am assuming it isn't as good.

Re: Difference between double nickel and triple plating? [Re: PAINT IT BLACK] #202685
01/24/09 03:03 PM
01/24/09 03:03 PM
Northern Indiana
M
mr_belvedere Offline
super gas
mr_belvedere  Offline
super gas
M

Northern Indiana
I an no authority on plating, but I bet the bare steel bumpers were plated with nickel then chrome (no copper).
Is it safe to assume 2 steps in plating = 'double' kind of like 3 steps = 'triple'?
See if you have the option of a refund and send them to tri-city plating.

Re: Difference between double nickel and triple plating? [Re: mr_belvedere] #202686
01/24/09 05:17 PM
01/24/09 05:17 PM
St. Paul, MN
S
stat5 Offline
enthusiast
stat5  Offline
enthusiast
S

St. Paul, MN
Triple nickel means that they plated the bumpers in three nickel plating steps. If I remember from when I worked at a plating shop correctly the triple nickle plating process is as follows: copper strike, dull nickel, bright nickel, porous nickel followed by chrome. My guess is if it is called a double nickle it is just copper strike, followed by dull nickel, bright nickel and then chrome. The porous nickel is for corrosion protection.

Re: Difference between double nickel and triple plating [Re: stat5] #202687
01/24/09 06:07 PM
01/24/09 06:07 PM
Houston Texas

Houston Texas
Thanks for the replies. The price on this stuff has gone up SOOOO much. It cost a mere $300 to get the two front bumpers and the rear bumper done 9 years ago. Now it would cost about $700+...

EPA regulations drove up the price I guess. Can't dump that caustic stuff out the back door anymore?

Re: Difference between double nickel and triple plating? [Re: stat5] #202688
01/24/09 06:08 PM
01/24/09 06:08 PM
NEW JERSEY
AARCONV Offline
master
AARCONV  Offline
master

NEW JERSEY
shouldn't be wavy either

Re: Difference between double nickel and triple plating [Re: AARCONV] #202689
01/24/09 06:11 PM
01/24/09 06:11 PM
Houston Texas

Houston Texas
Quote:

shouldn't be wavy either

Yeah, I just blame that on shortcutting the prep... I'll make sure that gets fixed this time around.

Re: Difference between double nickel and triple plating [Re: PAINT IT BLACK] #202690
01/24/09 06:13 PM
01/24/09 06:13 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
Ask the prospective shops if they use "Hexavalent" or "Trivalent" plating. The chemistry is different. Hex is mor hazardous and expensive, and surprise--Better. Trivalent is becoming more and more common, and while it can be done well, its not quite as good.

When you find a shop that still does Hex, its a pretty good indicator that they perform good work and have pride in their work. Think of Tri as cutting a corner, if they cut that corner, what OTHER corners do they cut???

Re: Difference between double nickel and triple plating [Re: Pacnorthcuda] #202691
01/25/09 05:09 PM
01/25/09 05:09 PM
Ohio
3404 Offline
pro stock
3404  Offline
pro stock

Ohio
Quote:

Ask the prospective shops if they use "Hexavalent" or "Trivalent" plating. The chemistry is different. Hex is mor hazardous and expensive, and surprise--Better. Trivalent is becoming more and more common, and while it can be done well, its not quite as good.

When you find a shop that still does Hex, its a pretty good indicator that they perform good work and have pride in their work. Think of Tri as cutting a corner, if they cut that corner, what OTHER corners do they cut???

Trivalent usage has nothing to do with cutting corners, where did you come up with that? Nor are they cheaper, did you make that up also? Trivalents are used to be ROHS compliant and to meet EPA and European standards, which since you don't know means they cost MORE money to buy and use. Hexvalent chromates and chromes are more carcinogenic and that is why most aren't used and why most aren't allowed to be used on automotive parts or anything that is sent to European nations. The goal they have is for anything that ends up in a land fill to be environmentally friendly or recyclable.

Now since trivalents do not have the same heavy chromes in them as the hexvalents but have to meet or exceed the haxvalent standards do you think they are cheaper or the shops using them are Cutting Corners? I think not.

If the parts rusted then they probably didn't get enough chrome over the nickel. Nickel offers little or almost no protection, nickel is porous and the chrome seals it. That is why the back sides always seem to rust, they get almost no chrome just nickel. If you bumper has a goldish color you are seeing the nickel.

By the way I know very high end chrome shops that use Trivalent chromes and Non-cyanide coppers and their work is flawless

Re: Difference between double nickel and triple plating [Re: 3404] #202692
01/25/09 07:10 PM
01/25/09 07:10 PM
Shopping @ HoBo Fright
340SIX Offline
Doc Flappergas's Evil Twin
340SIX  Offline
Doc Flappergas's Evil Twin

Shopping @ HoBo Fright
Great read 3404

Re: Difference between double nickel and triple plating [Re: 3404] #202693
01/25/09 07:19 PM
01/25/09 07:19 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
Quote:

Quote:

Trivalent usage has nothing to do with cutting corners, where did you come up with that? Nor are they cheaper, did you make that up also? Trivalents are used to be ROHS compliant and to meet EPA and European standards, which since you don't know means they cost MORE money to buy and use. Hexvalent chromates and chromes are more carcinogenic and that is why most aren't used and why most aren't allowed to be used on automotive parts or anything that is sent to European nations. The goal they have is for anything that ends up in a land fill to be environmentally friendly or recyclable.

Now since trivalents do not have the same heavy chromes in them as the hexvalents but have to meet or exceed the haxvalent standards do you think they are cheaper or the shops using them are Cutting Corners? I think not.

If the parts rusted then they probably didn't get enough chrome over the nickel. Nickel offers little or almost no protection, nickel is porous and the chrome seals it. That is why the back sides always seem to rust, they get almost no chrome just nickel. If you bumper has a goldish color you are seeing the nickel.

By the way I know very high end chrome shops that use Trivalent chromes and Non-cyanide coppers and their work is flawless

In Washington State we have both types being done. I stated Trivalent was more environmentally friendly, as you concur. I can tell you that the HIGH end shops around here still use hexavalent (Art Brass Plating, Mastercraft, etc) and they have told me its more expensive. Think about this....COULD the 'more expensive' part be due to the disposal of cyanide bearing plating baths??? I think so.
Can Trivalent not be done well? Of course it can, I never said it couldn't.

You can have your Tri, make mine hex.

BTW...its "Hexavalent"

Re: Difference between double nickel and triple plating [Re: 3404] #202694
01/25/09 07:29 PM
01/25/09 07:29 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
more info
Letter 16675

Hexavalent Chrome or Trivalent Chrome
++

Please can you tell me the main differences between hexavalent chrome plating and trivalent chrome plating.

Scott Campbell
Havelock Europa - Dalgety Bay, Fife, Scotland

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
++
Hexavalent chrome plating is done out of a chromic acid (H2CrO3) solution in which the chrome is at a +6 oxidation state. This is the traditional approach that has been around for 80 years or so. Some hexavalent plating solutions are generic, some are proprietary.

Trivalent plating is done out of a solution where the chrome is in the +3 oxidation state. This is the newer approach and has been around for 25 years or so. All trivalent chromium plating is based on proprietary baths and usually requires some special equipment features like carbon anodes, or diaphragms to separate the anodes from the plating zone.

Reputedly, trivalent chromium baths involve less dragout, are easier to waste treat, have less stringent ventilation requirements, are not as subject to very low throwing power, etc. On the down side they can plate only very thin layers suitable for decorative plating not hard chrome plating,and the color is a little "off" from the traditional.