Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: My truck is a dog and eats gas. What to do? Long... [Re: HotRodDave] #2026726
03/07/16 08:33 PM
03/07/16 08:33 PM
Spahn Ranch
RMCHRGR Offline OP
top fuel
RMCHRGR  Offline OP
top fuel

Spahn Ranch
Originally Posted By HotRodDave
When I say 2 numbers I am talking jet sizes not AF ratio numbers, probably going to be more of a dog if you get a that much leaner.

No, I got that thanks. It might need more squirter for sure.

Originally Posted By HotRodDave
Carbs just run rich on decell, I don't know much you can do about it

I don't know either. I think if you start from a better point, the swing will be less dramatic.

'71 Duster
'72 Challenger
'17 Ram 1500
Re: My truck is a dog and eats gas. What to do? Long... [Re: RMCHRGR] #2043991
04/01/16 11:14 PM
04/01/16 11:14 PM
Spahn Ranch
RMCHRGR Offline OP
top fuel
RMCHRGR  Offline OP
top fuel

Spahn Ranch
Well, drove the truck some this last week, getting around 10.25 mpg. Slight improvement over the 9 I was averaging a few months ago.

I kinda 'fixed' the throttle return issue by using a much heavier return spring which seemed to help. It idles down quicker now when you close the throttle and does not seem to get stuck in a high idle position though it takes more foot pressure to accelerate. I believe I need to really dial in the fast idle cam on the electric choke, it might be on the wrong step or some such thing. If I see something there that can be changed and it works maybe I can go back to a lighter spring. The choke works but I am considering ditching it for the warmer months.

Messed with the idle screws a bit, the idle is pretty good right now, generally around stoich. It idles at 1,000 rpm but what can you do, it's got a big cam with a lot of overlap and a good amount of initial timing at 18.

While driving, the A/F swings are not as big as before, it goes to low 12s-high 11s at WOT and about 16 when the secondaries open then it goes back to 12-13. Cruise was about 1/2 point higher all around, mostly above 13.5 depending on road speed/rpm.

Was thinking a jet change would be a good place to see if I could lean out the cruise, has # 70s in it now. I gave my buddy my only pair of 68 jets a while ago which I think would have been good for this situation, thought 67 might be a little too small and 69 wouldn't do anything. Still have yet to hook up a vacuum gauge, maybe I will do that this weekend. Might try a lighter spring in the secondary as well to see if the accel is a little more snappy.

I have to say that the aero thing is relevant here. The couple times I drove the truck it was really windy, like 40+ mph gusts. When driving out on a more open stretch of road with heavy crosswinds I could feel the truck struggling. Really thinking about a front spoiler.

Just chipping away at it a little at a time. Hope to get to the cam and intake swap soon now that it's warming up.

'71 Duster
'72 Challenger
'17 Ram 1500
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4