01/23/09 12:48 PM
01/23/09 12:48 PM
renton, Washington
ph23vo Offline OP
I Live Here
ph23vo  Offline OP
I Live Here

renton, Washington
i understand canada kept very good records of all the cars imported from the usa i own one i sure would like to have any documentation from the canadian GOVT on..like where it was sold new etc... anyone help? dan

Re: CANADIAN GUYS /RCMP anyone have access to old car info? [Re: ph23vo] #201888
01/23/09 02:17 PM
01/23/09 02:17 PM
B.C.
M
mk_ Offline
mopar
mk_  Offline
mopar
M

B.C.
I'm not sure about the old days but now we have to go through riv.ca......they may be able to give you more information.

Re: CANADIAN GUYS /RCMP anyone have access to old car info? [Re: ph23vo] #201889
01/23/09 03:20 PM
01/23/09 03:20 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
I doubt the Canadian Government will have that info. The car was likely sold into the US and the reg just transferred dowm there.

Dispite what is written, there is no requirement for Canadians importing a vehicle into Canada to go through US customs or to do the 3-day notice b.s.. We can go down there and bring the vehicle in through Canadian customs and be done with it as long as the vehicle meets the vehicle standards.

I'm guessing the US is the same. I think your best bet would be to contact the factory - they'd more likely know where it was originally shipped.

Re: CANADIAN GUYS /RCMP anyone have access to old car i [Re: Stanton] #201890
01/23/09 03:31 PM
01/23/09 03:31 PM
renton, Washington
ph23vo Offline OP
I Live Here
ph23vo  Offline OP
I Live Here

renton, Washington
the car sold NEW in canada in 1970 but was built in the USA.. canada is said to have kept real good records of all cars..they used to be readily availiable thru the canadian govt/DMV but i cant find anything now... hoping someone knows an inside line to gettinmg the info from them dan

Re: CANADIAN GUYS /RCMP anyone have access to old car info? [Re: Stanton] #201891
01/24/09 02:08 AM
01/24/09 02:08 AM
British Columbia
C
chrisf Offline
master
chrisf  Offline
master
C

British Columbia
Quote:

I doubt the Canadian Government will have that info. The car was likely sold into the US and the reg just transferred dowm there.

Dispite what is written, there is no requirement for Canadians importing a vehicle into Canada to go through US customs or to do the 3-day notice b.s.. We can go down there and bring the vehicle in through Canadian customs and be done with it as long as the vehicle meets the vehicle standards.

I'm guessing the US is the same. I think your best bet would be to contact the factory - they'd more likely know where it was originally shipped.

I'd love to see your facts on this statement. not calling you a liar but personal experience says that isnt true. at least here in BC. if you show up at the border without the notice its not crossing legally. I have been inside the US customs building when they turned a guy away for no notice.
you may want to check your facts before you tell people to just show up. they may be prolonging their visit to the USA by 3 days. i hauled a car for a member here and i had to leave it at the border becasue the notice wasnt given. both the US and Canadian guys said no way it was going anywhere.

Re: CANADIAN GUYS /RCMP anyone have access to old car info? [Re: Stanton] #201892
01/24/09 02:27 AM
01/24/09 02:27 AM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
I'm sure some sort of records were kept at that time, but no doubt the auto manufacturers go through a different system than the private individual. Like was said, these days we go through the RIV, but the RIV is not that old. Problem is there is no centralized agency that handles cars for the whole country, they are dealt with on a province-by-province basis. And every province uses their own system.

I know here in manitoba, records for that period are just gone. Floated away with the wind I guess. I know of a few cars that were permanently written off back in the day, but now are back on the road because record of them being declared as parts-only was lost, and somehow they managed to sit for a few decades and have someone bring them back from the dead.

Quote:

I call BS there buddy. I just imported a quad from the US into Canada a couple weeks ago. When I got to the Canadian border crossing office, the first thing they checked was to see if I had gotten my bill of sale stamped by the american customs office. And the only way the american customs office will stamp it is if you give them 72 hours prior notice before showing up. No stamp = no okay from the canadian border guards = you are forced to re-export that vehicle back to the US.

Re: CANADIAN GUYS /RCMP anyone have access to old car info? [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #201893
01/24/09 01:31 PM
01/24/09 01:31 PM
Chilliwack B.C. Canada
R
RUNCHARGER Offline
I Live Here
RUNCHARGER  Offline
I Live Here
R

Chilliwack B.C. Canada
No way you can bring a car across into Canada without a clear title, even for parts.
I also think the Freedom of Information act prevents you from getting any previous ownership information in Canada. If the car is a six barrel or Hemi there has been a list made semi public with information where the car was sold in Canada.

Sheldon

Re: CANADIAN GUYS /RCMP anyone have access to old car info? *DELETED* [Re: chrisf] #201894
01/24/09 04:19 PM
01/24/09 04:19 PM
waterford
S
Scatpak Offline
super street
Scatpak  Offline
super street
S

waterford
Post deleted by Scatpak

Re: CANADIAN GUYS /RCMP anyone have access to old car info? [Re: Scatpak] #201895
01/24/09 04:48 PM
01/24/09 04:48 PM
British Columbia
C
chrisf Offline
master
chrisf  Offline
master
C

British Columbia
i was importing a truck from oregon. i was waiting for my paperwork and a school teacher from vancouver was there trying to import a older BMW from WA state. the US border guard told him to file the title and bill of sale and come back in three days. there was no way he was going to let it leave without the 3 day hold. this has happened to me twice.

we are talking from personal first hand experience are you?

these rules are Canada wide not provincial.

U.S. Customs requires notification of all self-propelled vehicles being permanently exported from the United States. Their regulations state that at land border points:
1. The required documentation must be submitted to U.S. Customs at least 72 hours prior to export; and
2. The vehicle must be presented to U.S. Customs at the time of export.
U.S. Customs recommends that you contact the port of crossing directly to determine exact documentation requirements and hours of operation.
If you are importing a trailer, you may call RIV to have your Vehicle Identification Number verified ahead of time.

you can read it all here.
importing

Re: CANADIAN GUYS /RCMP anyone have access to old car i [Re: chrisf] #201896
01/28/09 07:20 PM
01/28/09 07:20 PM
Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
5thAve Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway
5thAve  Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway

Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
In Ontario when you sell a car you need to get a package and that says the history of the car like the names of each owner and when they bought it but its only good for Ontario. Other provinces probably do the same thing. For anything else its probably the same for getting that kind of info in the us. If you dont know someone youre screwed.

For importing a car into Canada that stuff isnt true. If you didnt do any paper work in advance they will make you leave it at the border and come back and get it later on.

Re: CANADIAN GUYS /RCMP anyone have access to old car i [Re: 5thAve] #201897
01/28/09 07:38 PM
01/28/09 07:38 PM
quebec,Canada
S
swinger72 Offline
enthusiast
swinger72  Offline
enthusiast
S

quebec,Canada
up here in quebec forget about any history about who owned the car prior to you it s ilegal for dmv to give a name or anything on previous owners there is no way to find original owners

Re: CANADIAN GUYS /RCMP anyone have access to old car info? [Re: chrisf] #201898
01/28/09 08:06 PM
01/28/09 08:06 PM
London,Ontario,Canada
1962Savoy Offline
mopar
1962Savoy  Offline
mopar

London,Ontario,Canada
Quote:

i was importing a truck from oregon. i was waiting for my paperwork and a school teacher from vancouver was there trying to import a older BMW from WA state. the US border guard told him to file the title and bill of sale and come back in three days. there was no way he was going to let it leave without the 3 day hold. this has happened to me twice.

we are talking from personal first hand experience are you?

these rules are Canada wide not provincial.

U.S. Customs requires notification of all self-propelled vehicles being permanently exported from the United States. Their regulations state that at land border points:
1. The required documentation must be submitted to U.S. Customs at least 72 hours prior to export; and
2. The vehicle must be presented to U.S. Customs at the time of export.
U.S. Customs recommends that you contact the port of crossing directly to determine exact documentation requirements and hours of operation.
If you are importing a trailer, you may call RIV to have your Vehicle Identification Number verified ahead of time.

you can read it all here.
importing

you also will need the fax report to confirm you sent the documents as half the time they cant find what you sent.its really a quagmire of Sh#t to go through for so little purpose.It's a stupid system but the yanks want to make sure that the car hasnt been stolen

Re: CANADIAN GUYS /RCMP anyone have access to old car info? [Re: RUNCHARGER] #201899
01/28/09 08:28 PM
01/28/09 08:28 PM
Kelowna, B.C. Canada
D
DPelletier Offline
I Live Here
DPelletier  Offline
I Live Here
D

Kelowna, B.C. Canada
Quote:

I also think the Freedom of Information act prevents you from getting any previous ownership information in Canada.
Sheldon

I've been trying to get info on a car I sold in 1991 for years now. There is no "legal" way of getting that info.

As far as importing cars from the states goes, it is a huge pain in the rear. I'll just pay the extra 25% everyone in Canada seems to want for thier cars and save myself a migraine or three.

Dave

1970 Super Bee 440 Six Pack 1974 'Cuda 2008 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Ram 3500 Diesel 2004.5 Ram 2500 Diesel 2003 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Durango Limited [url] http://1970superbee.piczo.com [/url]
Re: CANADIAN GUYS /RCMP anyone have access to old car info? [Re: DPelletier] #201900
01/28/09 08:47 PM
01/28/09 08:47 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Quote:

As far as importing cars from the states goes, it is a huge pain in the rear.

That's quite the exaggeration, it's really not that bad if the seller has at least 1/2 a brain.

Re: CANADIAN GUYS /RCMP anyone have access to old car i [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #201901
01/29/09 01:15 AM
01/29/09 01:15 AM
renton, Washington
ph23vo Offline OP
I Live Here
ph23vo  Offline OP
I Live Here

renton, Washington
i got the car from canada and had no trouble as i hired an agent in canada to get all the papers together cost me about 200.00 car was shipped by train to B.C then trucked across the border to me in seattle... its a factory PROMO car 71 sport fury GT and i had hoped to find some documents on it ... was sold new near as i can tell in edmonton alberta it was sold used in 72 or 73 by ray dehid at dehid motors which is still in business today and ray still remembered the car but didnt have any papers and couldnt remember if he sold it after it was sold new or he got it at the chrysler auction after it may have been used in some official capacity by chrysler corp... dan