02/22/16 03:14 PM
02/22/16 03:14 PM
Minnesota
peabodyracing Offline OP
top fuel
peabodyracing  Offline OP
top fuel

Minnesota
A couple years back, while trying to put a 62 Savoy 2dr back together, I found another one out of state.

It had some parts I needed, including a front bench seat, so I headed out to pickup my 'parts car'.

The heater in my truck started acting up and never did get the darn cab very warm. By the time I finally reached the destination I was half frozen and concerned about getting back home before it got too late and the temp went lower.

The car looked like heck; 3 or 4 layers on paint on it, front fenders were junk, had been lightly hit on the pass front rear quarter and the right rear corner had been hit a bit harder. The splash pan under the rear bumper was torn loose and twisted up, and so on. It did have the parts I was looking for though, so I made an offer, seller accepted. Rolled it on the trailer and headed for home.

Once back, and warmed up again (I was cold for two days I think)
I unloaded the car and took stock of it. The net was I couldn't bring myself to use it as a parts car. I found a really rusty one on eBay and talked the seller into cutting the rear corner off the car and shipping to me.

I then hauled the mess (along with two good front fenders and a replacement splash pan) to my body guy and asked him to see what he could do. I was still unsure of the outcome so didn't even bother taking pictures as he worked on it. It turned out the car wasn't that bad; in fact other than the quarter/corner damage it was actually better than the one that I was already well into.

As luck would have it, when he went to spray the color, he decided to use a new paint gun, which he'd not used before. The result was a pretty screwed up paint job. By then he was frustrated, I was starting to think the car had really wanted to die after all, so I hauled it home and let it sit all last summer and into this winter.

Gary then said he had his new gun sorted out, so I hauled it back and he redid the paint job. The car looks pretty darn decent now. Not perfect, but it'll do. I know many on this forum hate green, but I just had to go with this Chrysler green color and I really think it looks good on the car.

It was 31 degrees this morning, so I decided it was time to roll the car out and take a few photos.

SANY0001.JPGSANY0004.JPG

Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way
Re: One can't have too many 62 Savoys [Re: peabodyracing] #2017431
02/22/16 03:32 PM
02/22/16 03:32 PM
Minnesota
peabodyracing Offline OP
top fuel
top fuel

Minnesota
I had Gary repaint the dash in the same color and like the way it looks.

Still plenty of work to do on the inside. You can see the front of a pair of A100 buckets which I plan to use.

The engine compartment turned out well. Still has the 6 cylinder K frame, so that needs to go too.

SANY0006.JPGSANY0002.JPG

Re: One can't have too many 62 Savoys [Re: peabodyracing] #2017438
02/22/16 03:39 PM
02/22/16 03:39 PM
Minnesota
peabodyracing Offline OP
top fuel
top fuel

Minnesota
I'm baffled by the car having literally no options (not even a radio) but having backup lights.

I'd picked up the Keystone Sun Spokes a while ago and thought they'd set off the green well. I like the look.

SANY0004.JPG

Re: One can't have too many 62 Savoys [Re: peabodyracing] #2017445
02/22/16 03:43 PM
02/22/16 03:43 PM
Minnesota
peabodyracing Offline OP
top fuel
top fuel

Minnesota
These two photos show what really clinched it for me when trying to decide the future of the car. Amazingly clean frame members.

Now with all that done I need to locate a title for the car. Nothing like going at this backwards......

SANY0008.JPGSANY0007.JPG