J
jt4406 Offline
pro stock
jt4406  Offline
pro stock
J

Ky
This is the PM I sent SVMopar, hope it works for you as well:

I had exactly the same problem. I did get a reply from someone with a hood with factory installed 6 pack emblems and was able to locate mine from that. Anyway here is what you need to do:
Use heavy construction paper and push the pins of one of your emblems through the paper, mark and trim around the outside to make a template of your emblems that will lay flat on the hood. Trim the holes so that they are clean and neat so you can find the center of them with the center punch. Start at the rear corner of the hood and mark a line 6 inches in toward the center at the rear edge of the hood, both sides, from this point measure straight forward toward the front of the hood exactly 17 & 3/8 inches and mark a line up and down on the raised part of the bulge. This is your front to rear placement. On the driver side the rearmost part of the "K" fits here, on the passenger side the frontmost part of the "4" fits here. Place the template on the hood and postion it as close as possible to the center of the hood bulge, make a mark through the template pin holes. Remove template, you now have the three pin hole locations. To be more precise I made a template of sheet metal and made the following measurements which you can use to make sure you are exactly "dead on". Use a flexible tape measure (I used my wife's sewing tape measure, cloth construction, rolls up, worked great)laying flat on the hood, following the curvature of the bulge. Measure from the fender side of the hood, perpendicular to the hole and mark the exact center of each emblem hole. Front hole, both sides 5 & 1/2 inches. Rear hole, both sides 5 & 5/8 inches. The difference is due to the amount the hood bulge rises from the hood, it is different front to rear and gradual. Use your template to mark the center hole. Your emblems should have small plastic covers on the pins, these are the retainers. They are intended to "snap" into the holes. To make this work the holes must be spaced exactly the right distance apart and drilled exactly the right diameter. I found a .185 drill bit to be correct (3/16). You might want to get a bit and drill a flat piece of sheet metal using your template to make sure your emblems will fit the holes before you drill your hood. Also they are hard to remove if you pop them all the way in, so be cautious there too. Call me if I can help, 606-666-7601, ask for Jess.

Jess in Ky

Yeah, it's hopped up to over 160...
Re: 70 challenger rally hood dodge letters [Re: jt4406] #200676
01/25/09 04:01 PM
01/25/09 04:01 PM
Fairview Tennessee
S
SV_MOPARS Offline OP
pro stock
SV_MOPARS  Offline OP
pro stock
S

Fairview Tennessee
that should work jess, thanks for the help.

Re: 70 challenger rally hood dodge letters [Re: jt4406] #200677
06/18/11 05:42 PM
06/18/11 05:42 PM
Ohio
J
jamiez Offline
jamiez  Offline
J

Ohio
Guess I'm a little late to the party..

Did anyone ever make an actual template or does anyone have a hood they could make one from?

The letters for my 74 finally arrived.

Page 2 of 2 1 2