01/13/16 02:53 AM
01/13/16 02:53 AM
Troy,MI
S
Siba Offline OP
Siba  Offline OP
S

Troy,MI
I'm installing AC back on my factory air Sport Satellite. I have looked all over but can't find much info on the subject compressors.
Is there a way to identify a V2 vs RV2?
Which one should be used on a 69 b-body?
Is there info on how to set up the clutch? Are shims used? I have a nos clutch but it's in three pieces.
I have seen two different size / style clutches. What is correct?

Re: V2 / RV2 compressor experts [Re: Siba] #1989746
01/13/16 04:39 AM
01/13/16 04:39 AM
Cut and Shoot, TX
kentj340 Offline
top fuel
kentj340  Offline
top fuel

Cut and Shoot, TX
If you Google V2 vs RV2 you get this:

V2: 9.45 cubic inch displacement, flat-top pistons.
RV2: 10.5 cubic inch displacement, pistons have scalloped valve plate reliefs.

Originally A-bodies all had the V2, but the "remanufacturing" junk factories can't resist screwing up everything they touch, so they claim they're interchangeable, so who knows what you've got now.

There were gasket, seal, and hard-part differences over the years, particularly pre-'76 vs. post-'77, so it's a good idea to get at least a rough idea of when your compressor was made (or else hope the rebuild kit has all the possible gaskets).

Unquote

In the 69 Plymouth FSM, two compressors are pictured, one for Fury/VIP/Satellite and one for Valiant. For B body, the service gauge set connects the suction hose to the rear of the compressor. For the A body, it goes to the front of the compressor. From this I guess you can ID by whether the suction service port is front or rear.

The FSM mentions two clutches by different makers but does not discuss which compressor they belong to or whether they interchange. I have the original factory compressor and clutch off my 69 A body. I think I probably have the Pitts clutch. The FSM shows assembly sequence.

Here's a photo of my factory original A body compressor with suction service port in front.

24 AC.compressor w coil & idler pulley.jpg

If you don't see two dolphins, you need a vacation.
Re: V2 / RV2 compressor experts [Re: kentj340] #1989748
01/13/16 04:53 AM
01/13/16 04:53 AM
Cut and Shoot, TX
kentj340 Offline
top fuel
kentj340  Offline
top fuel

Cut and Shoot, TX
Looking at the photo of my greasy compressor reminds me:

I read recently that vegetable oil is an excellent degreaser. The person who posted this said he saw a crew of roofers with tar on their skin who cleaned up in a few minutes with the veggie oil. This was tried on greasy car parts, and it worked.

images2.jpg

If you don't see two dolphins, you need a vacation.