01/19/09 09:16 AM
01/19/09 09:16 AM
Grand Haven, MI
patrick Offline OP
I Live Here
patrick  Offline OP
I Live Here

Grand Haven, MI
car has a 360, A500 (42RH tranny) and 489 case 8 3/4" rear axle w/3.55 limited slip (cone style).

Last Thursday on my way to work, I heard a fairly loud noise, kind of a bang, and then a noise somewhat like a card in a bicycle spoke, or more precisely, like a toothed wheel going over something, say like if you'd attempt to shift into park at speed and the park sprag would just skip over the part it engages in. that noise was fairly loud for about a quarter mile, and then quieted down. it's still there faintly, really only detectable at lower speed (less than 25mph) and it seems to be only on deceleration.

This weekend I jacked the car up, looked for anything that may have broken loose (like the heat shield near the muffler that could be hitting the drive shaft?--it wasn't), I dropped the drive shaft, and could hear what I thought was the noise very faintly as I spun the tires around by hand. it was definitely more noticeable spinning the tires backwards with the car up on stands. I also noticed that there seems to be what I thought excessive backlash--while under the car, I can spin the pinion back & forth probably a good 15-20 degrees with the parking brake on (so the tires can't spin, which seems greater than I remember....

I also pulled the inspection cover off the tranny, and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. one other thing I noted is with the tranny in park, it might be my imagination, but when I rock the driveshaft back and forth, it almost seems like when the park sprag hits it's mating part it has a more metallic ring to it than I remember, but I could be imagining that.

The noise is road speed dependent, not engine speed dependent, which leads me to believe it's not in the input side of the tranny. I think it's something in the rear axle, but the odd thing is, if I put the car in neutral, and coast is seems to go away. if I turn the car off while moving and coast, in either neutral or drive, it seems to go away also. when I hear it in the car, if I roll down the window, or open the door and hang my head out, I can't hear it (over the noise of the exhaust at least).

My next thoughts for diagnosis is to get a friend over, and listen and see if it's louder in the back seat, and then maybe see if I can hear it as he drives by, and lastly, put it up on stands and run it in gear to see if I can hear it under the car.

anyone else have any other thoughts as to what it could be? Thanks in advance for any help.

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)
Re: need help diagnosing mystery noise in drivetrain [Re: patrick] #197834
01/19/09 10:58 AM
01/19/09 10:58 AM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Offline
I Win
stumpy  Offline
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
It is the rearend. You have too much play. The reason you can hear it under power and it goes away in neutral is that you are taking the pressure off the pinion. It is probably the pinion bearing going bad.

Re: need help diagnosing mystery noise in drivetrain [Re: patrick] #197835
01/19/09 11:33 AM
01/19/09 11:33 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

I can spin the pinion back & forth probably a good 15-20 degrees with the parking brake on

with stumpy

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: need help diagnosing mystery noise in drivetrain [Re: RapidRobert] #197836
01/19/09 01:23 PM
01/19/09 01:23 PM
Grand Haven, MI
patrick Offline OP
I Live Here
patrick  Offline OP
I Live Here

Grand Haven, MI
that's kind of what I was leaning to....I know the limited slip has gotten weaker over the past few years, now I have an excuse to tear into it and replace it.

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)
Re: need help diagnosing mystery noise in drivetrain [Re: patrick] #197837
01/20/09 09:06 AM
01/20/09 09:06 AM
Florida
S
scratchnfotraction Offline
I Live Here
scratchnfotraction  Offline
I Live Here
S

Florida

also seen the spring clip (flat metal piece) brke in the sg also and skiped clanked poped

but a lot of backlash it might have hit the teeth on the case of the sg

I have seen a lot 8 3/4 with teeth mark all over them

hope you did not chip any teeth on the ring or pinion

is it a 489 with a crush sleeve?

any leaks yet?

look like ya need to eyeball it just for