C
cataclysm80 Offline OP
master
cataclysm80  Offline OP
master
C

Florida
Hello Everyone,

Back in 2006, I installed a serpentine belt setup on my 1970 AAR 'Cuda. (That's a 340 six pack engine, just in case any of you aren't familiar.)

It has a low mount Sanden AC compressor where the mechanical fuel pump would go. (I switched to an electric fuel pump.)
This is important because it allows you to have Air Conditioning along with your six pack carb setup.

The car also has power steering.

I've been enjoying having AC and a six pack in my car.
The serpentine setup came from The Bracketman.
It's pretty much like the one in this link, except serpentine instead of V belts.
http://www.hemibracket.com/340_six_pack.htm

Unfortunately, that guy has retired, and I've developed a problem with my power steering pulley.
The setup used a press fit metal bushing to adapt an OEM pulley to fit a Saginaw power steering pump.
It seems that my bushing is worn or something because stuff is a little wobbly there and it's starting to eat belts.

If I can't manage to fix it, I'm considering replacing the whole serpentine belt setup.

Any Suggestions?
What's available for small block mopar serpentine belt setups these days?
It needs to have a low mount AC compressor so that I can keep my six pack.
A belt tensioner would be nice.

I'd really prefer it to be unobtrusive plain black.
I don't like the look of shiny billet stuff in my engine compartment.

Tav

Re: Small Block Serpentine Belt Setup [Re: cataclysm80] #1975741
12/24/15 04:29 PM
12/24/15 04:29 PM
Florida
C
cataclysm80 Offline OP
master
cataclysm80  Offline OP
master
C

Florida
I don't recall, any idea if factory setups off of relatively late model 5.9 liter engines will bolt onto a vintage 340?

Tav

Re: Small Block Serpentine Belt Setup [Re: cataclysm80] #1975775
12/24/15 05:50 PM
12/24/15 05:50 PM
A
Andrewh Offline
master
Andrewh  Offline
master
A

the magnum stuff doesn't bolt on. there is a boss missing for some of the bolt on stuff.

Jerry on this board makes a setup using some of the magnum parts, so they are easier to source.

But a bushing should be pretty easy for someone to make. not cheap necessarily, but cheaper than a whole new setup.

I would also check the pump itself. but if you are sure it is the bushing, I would take it all to a good local machine shop and have them fab a new bushing.
I have had that done so the race would fit in the drum hub before, so it isn't a big deal.

Worst case bug feets. see if he has the stuff to make one.
shipping both ways plus whatever he is going to charge is going to be cheaper than a whole new setup.

Re: Small Block Serpentine Belt Setup [Re: Andrewh] #1976086
12/25/15 01:24 PM
12/25/15 01:24 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
Originally Posted By Andrewh
the magnum stuff doesn't bolt on. there is a boss missing for some of the bolt on stuff.

Jerry on this board makes a setup using some of the magnum parts, so they are easier to source.

But a bushing should be pretty easy for someone to make. not cheap necessarily, but cheaper than a whole new setup.

I would also check the pump itself. but if you are sure it is the bushing, I would take it all to a good local machine shop and have them fab a new bushing.
I have had that done so the race would fit in the drum hub before, so it isn't a big deal.

Worst case bug feets. see if he has the stuff to make one.
shipping both ways plus whatever he is going to charge is going to be cheaper than a whole new setup.

iagree is the bushing steel or aluminum ? if aluminum, have the bushing made from steel with a generous flange to support the mating face of the pulley. also, the amount of press fit in the pulley is important for the bushing to stay put.
beer

Re: Small Block Serpentine Belt Setup [Re: cataclysm80] #1976153
12/25/15 03:18 PM
12/25/15 03:18 PM
Warren, MI
J
Jerry Offline
master
Jerry  Offline
master
J

Warren, MI
sorry I posted earlier. give me a call at the shop. i'll be in on mon, tues and Wednesday this week

Superior Design Concepts
2574 Elliott Dr
Troy MI 48083
jerry@sdconcepts.com
www.sdconcepts.com
Facebook page: Superior Design Concepts
www.bcrproducts.com
Re: Small Block Serpentine Belt Setup [Re: Jerry] #1985079
01/06/16 07:39 PM
01/06/16 07:39 PM
Florida
C
cataclysm80 Offline OP
master
cataclysm80  Offline OP
master
C

Florida
Thanks everyone!

I was pretty busy, so I took it to a local transmission shop who worked on the car before. (They did the transmission, made a driveshaft, and started the car for the first time back in 2006.)

They got it all apart and most of the wear was on the power steering shaft. The bushing is steel. Put a new power steering pump on it, installed the serpentine pulley, and a little tack weld to make sure it doesn't move on the shaft. Should be good for many more years.

I was also able to get in touch with the retired guy who built the setup, and he had one new pulley left, so I bought that as a back up plan.

I'll still need a whole new serpentine setup for my Challenger TA at some point though. AC & Power Steering. It's has a mid 70's 360 block stroked to 408 cubic inches. So it's good to know what else is out there other than the billet stuff.

Tav

Re: Small Block Serpentine Belt Setup [Re: Jerry] #1985086
01/06/16 07:51 PM
01/06/16 07:51 PM
Florida
C
cataclysm80 Offline OP
master
cataclysm80  Offline OP
master
C

Florida
Originally Posted By Jerry
sorry I posted earlier. give me a call at the shop. i'll be in on mon, tues and Wednesday this week

Hi Jerry, I left a message / comment on your Facebook page on the day I posted this. I'm on there more than I'm on moparts these days. I'll definitely keep an eye on what you're doing.

My main project right now is a 70 Roadrunner. 383 with a 4 speed & air grabber. It's just in the sheetmetal stages now, and I haven't decided what to run for the engine accessories yet.

Tav