12/19/15 02:41 PM
12/19/15 02:41 PM
A
Andrewh Offline OP
master
Andrewh  Offline OP
master
A

I bought the gen 2 setup from diyautotune.
I am replacing the efi computer and wiring on a 5.9 magnum using the painless perfect managment system.

MS came with a generic wiring diagram.
It leads me to a few questions.

I see the tps and crank or cam sensors are wired together with a gray line.
I see what appears to be a common ground between the tps and the air temp and coolant temp.
But there is another line that connects the tps and crank sensor.
Is that a common hot?

should I assume individual wires are the sensor returns only?
The other common is the hot? I cannot tell by the diagram, but that is the only thing that makes sense.

For the fuel injectors, it has me wire a key on hot to them and the second wire to the computer.
How do I know which is which on the injector? or does it mater?
currently on the painless set up with the engine on but not running, both appear to be hot. if I need to know I will start it and check for pulse that way, but wondered if it mattered.

also this shows 2 sets of pulse wires per bank. Do I just wire 2 per wire or all 4 to 1 per bank or does it matter?

and I guess just for kicks, since this has 4 spare pins, is it possible to wire the 12 volts on through the computer for the injectors instead of seperate wiring?

Re: mega squirt people, some questions about wiring it up. [Re: Andrewh] #1972702
12/19/15 03:10 PM
12/19/15 03:10 PM
Tulsa OK
Bad340fish Offline
master
Bad340fish  Offline
master

Tulsa OK
I will answer these the best that I can.

The gray line is likely the 5V reference, that is the power for your sensors like TPS, Hall effect(cam and crank usually) sometime MAP, any additional sensors you add like fuel pressure or oil pressure usually need a 5V reference.

All of the sensor grounds need to return to the MS unit, there is a dedicated sensor ground wire you can run off of.

Your two wire sensors like air temp and coolant will have a ground to the MS and the actual sensor ground since they do not require power.

It does not matter what wires go on the injectors, and you will want to wire them to something like your fuel pump relay so they will only be able to operate when the MS senses that the engine is turning over.

MSEXTRA.COM has tons and tons and tons of info, look for the manual for your particular unit it will be there.

Here is the manual if you bought a pre assembled unit.
http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/MS2V30_Hardware-3.4.pdf/MS2V30_Hardware-3.4.html

I have an MS3X running on my Barracuda ignition only right now, I will be doing the fuel side after the first of the year. I got all of my stuff from DIY they have great service so don't be afraid to e-mail them or call them with questions.

68 Barracuda Formula S 340
Re: mega squirt people, some questions about wiring it up. [Re: Andrewh] #1972710
12/19/15 03:33 PM
12/19/15 03:33 PM
A
Andrewh Offline OP
master
Andrewh  Offline OP
master
A

Thanks, I hadn't found that manual.
I emailed them yesterday, but thought I might get some answers here from people that have done it.

It seems to have a few answers and some better instructions than I got.

Re: mega squirt people, some questions about wiring it up. [Re: Andrewh] #1972764
12/19/15 05:00 PM
12/19/15 05:00 PM
Lake Orion, MI
goldduster318 Offline
pro stock
goldduster318  Offline
pro stock

Lake Orion, MI
I agree with Bad340Fish. That grey wire is the +5V Ref.

They used a black wire with white tracer for the sensor return.

I did a much more complex install on an LA engine using the MS3 Pro, but I used the stock dodge magnum cam sensor for SFI, and a Ford 3.0 Crank sensor with a 36-1 wheel. When I was checking everything I found that the cam sensor wasn't working. After reading the manual, I found I needed to put a 1k ohm pull-up resistor across the power and signal pins on the cam sensor. You'll probably need to do this as well to get a signal.

I had used pieces from a GM harness to wire my injectors and all the power wires were pink. I'd guess you'd find that they're all the same color in the Mopar one as well.

You don't want to power the injectors through the computer.

I'm assuming you're doing a batch fire install. How you wire it depends on how you're going to do the batch fire. Read the manual and decide there. Mine is sequential so it had enough injector outs that each one had it's own signal wire. This signal wire provides ground for the injectors so they fire.

'70 Duster 470hp 340/T56 Magnum/8 3/4 3.23 Sure-Grip
Re: mega squirt people, some questions about wiring it up. [Re: Andrewh] #1973098
12/20/15 03:13 AM
12/20/15 03:13 AM
A
Andrewh Offline OP
master
Andrewh  Offline OP
master
A

yes batch fire.
yeah the original harness mentions something about that resistor already.
so I will make sure I don't trim it out of the old harness. Not sure where it is wired but it says it is in there already. I didn't know the new one needed it, so thanks.

I will read through the manual link above. Just getting my ducks in a row before I start the cutting.