Tulsa, Oklahoma
340Cuda Offline
master
340Cuda  Offline
master

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Originally Posted By ksj
Look at who said it.LOL.

He is still my favorite announcer. I think his best was when he said a car he really liked, a fast, turbo, big block Chevette, started out as a collection of bad ideas.

Bill

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2015: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #1967723
12/11/15 02:16 PM
12/11/15 02:16 PM
Topeka Kansas
K
ksj Offline
master
ksj  Offline
master
K

Topeka Kansas
He does a helluva job.

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2015: The Experience. [Re: johnnycuda] #1967813
12/11/15 04:26 PM
12/11/15 04:26 PM
IL
furious70 Offline
top fuel
furious70  Offline
top fuel

IL
Originally Posted By johnnycuda
I would so drive that, actually like this one more, can you say sleeper barge!

yes most people don't expect this

70 Sport Fury
68 Charger
69 Coronet
72 RR
Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2015: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #1967821
12/11/15 04:38 PM
12/11/15 04:38 PM
lancaster,california
johnnycuda Offline
super stock
johnnycuda  Offline
super stock

lancaster,california
LOl, nice!...I was thinking if it was mine, a stroker big block with nitrous, but this works!, whats it run?

1970 'Cuda,Lime Light,499 Indy S/R's 10.70's @125,street driven ALOT!
1966 Barracuda 360,now a 5spd,Hemi Orange,Hot Rod Air,
New daily driver-2003 Ram 2500 Cummins 5.9
'69 Valiant 2-dr, sleeper!
New project---1938 Dodge truck, plan is a 360 with a A500, AC, Calvert rear susp., rack and pinion front with coils.
Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2015: The Experience. [Re: johnnycuda] #1967828
12/11/15 05:09 PM
12/11/15 05:09 PM
IL
furious70 Offline
top fuel
furious70  Offline
top fuel

IL
Originally Posted By johnnycuda
LOl, nice!...I was thinking if it was mine, a stroker big block with nitrous, but this works!, whats it run?

I've not gotten it to the track since turbos, that's the funny thing about having 2 young kiddos...
for that reason I'm still only running 5psi (to ensure the whole thing stays together). It's a stock parts house rebuild 383 under all that, nothing special at all. I'm also afraid for my a500 OD and 8 3/4. I do have 10psi springs that someday will go in...

When the car was setup with a magnum 383, 750 holley, headers, and 3.91's it ran 14.18 @ 98mph, how's that? :P

70 Sport Fury
68 Charger
69 Coronet
72 RR
Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2015: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #1967830
12/11/15 05:17 PM
12/11/15 05:17 PM
lancaster,california
johnnycuda Offline
super stock
johnnycuda  Offline
super stock

lancaster,california
Very cool, fun ride for sure!
I've been keeping my eyes open for a '70 Fury 2-dr project, always liked the front of those.
Billy, didn't mean to hijack.

1970 'Cuda,Lime Light,499 Indy S/R's 10.70's @125,street driven ALOT!
1966 Barracuda 360,now a 5spd,Hemi Orange,Hot Rod Air,
New daily driver-2003 Ram 2500 Cummins 5.9
'69 Valiant 2-dr, sleeper!
New project---1938 Dodge truck, plan is a 360 with a A500, AC, Calvert rear susp., rack and pinion front with coils.
Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2015: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #1968286
12/12/15 11:56 AM
12/12/15 11:56 AM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
That's quite alright John, been busy last couple days anyway!

I asked Boone to help me get a picture of my time slip, then he joined me on the walk up to the tower to turn them in, and get our route sheets.
"So, how much sleep did you get before Dale called you to go ahead at the second checkpoint last night?"
"None", Boone shrugged his shoulders and shook his head as we walked, "it was crazy, I was at that gas station for two and a half hours in a big, bizarre, bench racing session with locals, and other Drag Weekers... I thought I would never get out of there!"
"Really! How the heck did that happen?" I'm always amazed when Boone has long conversations with anyone other than his brothers,as he's not exactly a social butterfly.
"Well, first, that guy with the blue 427R mustang pulled in to get gas, and he walked over and started telling me his impressions of Drag Week so far. He talked about how his brother Roger wanted to go in that '58 Volvo contraption, so he convinced him to do it, and he bought that '08 Roush just for the event!"
"That's a stick car isn't it? Seemed like he was struggling, a bit", I added.
"Yeah", Boone agreed, "not much seat time! Anyway, his brother broke the Volvo on the first day, so he decided to just ride with Charles in the Mustang, but they asked one of the Drag Week staff and were told that wasn't legal!"
"BS", I exclaimed, "Guys have been doing that since the beginning of Drag Week!"
"That's what I told him also, but he said it was for the best, because his brother decided to take the Volvo back home to Illinois, then pick up his son and meet back up with him in Union Grove, and follow along from there."
"That's cool, but that's not a two hour conversation".
"Oh no", Boone laughed, and shook his head again, "We're just getting started!"

12029812_10153733657978938_2958872179868239873_o.jpg12000936_10153728199848938_7040315359155283477_o.jpg

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines
Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2015: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #1968504
12/12/15 06:15 PM
12/12/15 06:15 PM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
"So then", Boone continued, "this guy pulls in driving a short-bed Dodge, 72 up style, with big tires, and a small block, and he gets out all excited, and starts talking about how his buddy Trevor is going to freak out when he finds out that the one and only Barnyard Viper is right here in the middle of his home town."
"You're making this part up!" I challenged him, looking to see his expression.
"I swear!" He looked at me seriously, "it gets crazier, this guy looks me square in the face and says: 'with Trevor, there is is wife', and he put his hand level, 'then God', and he put his hand higher, 'then the Barnyard Viper!', and he raised his hand even higher."
"That's a pretty strong statement", I added.
"Yeah, so he's looking at the truck, I'm showing him everything, and I kinda figure the Mustang guy would excuse himself, and head on to Indy, but he just kept right on talking. Then, a little later, another guy pulls in and immediately starts talking to the first local about whether or not Trevor knew the Barnyard Viper is in town! The first guy tells him that he already texted Trevor, and he's at work, with no way to escape. Then the second guy starts telling me how much Trevor loves my truck!"
"You're lucky you made it out of there alive", I teased.
We walked up the stairs and into the tower suite where Tonya Turk, and Tara Fling took our time slips, looked at our pictures of the checkpoints, then handed us our official Drag Week time slips and route sheets.
On the way back Boone continued, "then that Father/daughter team pulled in driving a slow Camaro in Street Machine Eliminator, and they were looking for emory cloth for Jeff Lutz, so he could try to polish his crank up, and keep going..."
"Polish the crank?" I interjected, "Where was he?"
"He was on the far side of town, in a dealership parking lot, according to what they told us. So the guy in the Dodge truck volunteered to go to his shop and pick some up for them. Meanwhile the Camaro group just jumped out and started right in on the bench racing session with me, Charles in the Mustang, the second local, and two guys on a golf cart from the car lot across the street! Just when I thought it couldn't get any more bizarre, a mini-van flew into the parking lot, and a woman gets out dressed in a nursing outfit, and explained she was on her way to work, when she looked over and saw the real Barnyard Viper!"
"Stop it, Boone! If I write that, I'll have no credibility left!
"It's the truth! She was Trevor's Wife! So then she handed me her phone and asked me to take pictures of her and the truck, because the Barnyard Viper is his screensaver, and now he could have a picture of it with her in the shot as well!"
"Oh, boy; I'm surprised you could even get back in the truck as big as your head had to have been at that point!"

Drag Week 2015 058 - Copy.JPG

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2015: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #1968516
12/12/15 06:33 PM
12/12/15 06:33 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Originally Posted By MoparBilly
"So then", Boone continued, "this guy pulls in driving a short-bed Dodge, 72 up style, with big tires, and a small block, and he gets out all excited, and starts talking about how his buddy Trevor is going to freak out when he finds out that the one and only Barnyard Viper is right here in the middle of his home town."
"You're making this part up!" I challenged him, looking to see his expression.
"I swear!" He looked at me seriously, "it gets crazier, this guy looks me square in the face and says: 'with Trevor, there is is wife', and he put his hand level, 'then God', and he put his hand higher, 'then the Barnyard Viper!', and he raised his hand even higher."
"That's a pretty strong statement", I added.
"Yeah, so he's looking at the truck, I'm showing him everything, and I kinda figure the Mustang guy would excuse himself, and head on to Indy, but he just kept right on talking. Then, a little later, another guy pulls in and immediately starts talking to the first local about whether or not Trevor knew the Barnyard Viper is in town! The first guy tells him that he already texted Trevor, and he's at work, with no way to escape. Then the second guy starts telling me how much Trevor loves my truck!"
"You're lucky you made it out of there alive", I teased.
We walked up the stairs and into the tower suite where Tonya Turk, and Tara Fling took our time slips, looked at our pictures of the checkpoints, then handed us our official Drag Week time slips and route sheets.
On the way back Boone continued, "then that Father/daughter team pulled in driving a slow Camaro in Street Machine Eliminator, and they were looking for emory cloth for Jeff Lutz, so he could try to polish his crank up, and keep going..."
"Polish the crank?" I interjected, "Where was he?"
"He was on the far side of town, in a dealership parking lot, according to what they told us. So the guy in the Dodge truck volunteered to go to his shop and pick some up for them. Meanwhile the Camaro group just jumped out and started right in on the bench racing session with me, Charles in the Mustang, the second local, and two guys on a golf cart from the car lot across the street! Just when I thought it couldn't get any more bizarre, a mini-van flew into the parking lot, and a woman gets out dressed in a nursing outfit, and explained she was on her way to work, when she looked over and saw the real Barnyard Viper!"
"Stop it, Boone! If I write that, I'll have no credibility left!
"It's the truth! She was Trevor's Wife! So then she handed me her phone and asked me to take pictures of her and the truck, because the Barnyard Viper is his screensaver, and now he could have a picture of it with her in the shot as well!"
"Oh, boy; I'm surprised you could even get back in the truck as big as your head had to have been at that point!"

Now that is funny as hell Billy... you have a star in your
midst.. LOL
wave

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2015: The Experience. [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1968615
12/12/15 10:22 PM
12/12/15 10:22 PM
MN
J
JERICOGTX Offline
I Live Here
JERICOGTX  Offline
I Live Here
J

MN
laugh2 popcorn

69 GTX 68 Road Runner
Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2015: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #1968729
12/13/15 12:59 AM
12/13/15 12:59 AM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
"Eventually, she headed off to work, the guy in the Dodge came back with the emory cloth, the convenience store closed, and they shut off half the lights", Boone continued, "So I told them I had to go back to the checkpoint to wait for Dale, and escaped.
"So, then you still didn't get any sleep", I asked.
"No...about five minutes after I returned to the mural on the wall there, Jeffery Lutz pulled up in his Honda, took his picture, and asked me if I knew where his Dad was! I told him the location, and about ten minutes after that, Dale called me to go ahead. When I drove by the parking lot Jeff and the Camaro were in, there must've been seven or eight Drag Week cars all huddled around trying to help out!"
Boone and I walked past Tony's Javelin on our way to our pits, and I asked him what was going on.
"Well, I was back from my run, and noticed a trans fluid leak. Checked it out, and realized the case was cracked, so I asked myself what would the Gebharts do? Then I decided to pull it out and try to get another one and keep going!"
Now, I have to admit, I appreciated the sentiment, but I knew there was more at stake than that for Tony. This is a dyed-in-the-wool AMC enthusiast from the South West, and our Tuesday journey was taking us to Union Grove Wisconsin, which is a scant 34 miles from the promised land of Kenosha Wisconsin, birthplace of AMC. Tony and his 401 had a homecoming planned, and no busted GM trans. was going to keep them from it! He told me he had one coming from Cincinnati, Ohio, which sounded like he was calling in a favor from another of the AMC faithful!

Boone had parked the Barnyard next to Dan Holdren's 65 sweptline when he came back to the pits. Dan was at the festivities spectating, and his truck is equally as popular as Boone's on the old Dodge websites and FB pages. It was crazy how many people were shooting pics of the drastically different "twin '65s"!

Drag Week 2015 063 - Copy.JPGIMAG1106_zpstqq9sopz.jpg

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2015: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #1968794
12/13/15 03:53 AM
12/13/15 03:53 AM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
Dale and James had just crawled out from under the Gremlin when we got back, they were under it in an attempt to adjust the coil springs up higher on the shocks in hopes of not bottoming out quite so much on this portion of the road trip. With all that crap hanging off the back on their hitch cart, I had my doubts!
Rachael, Skippy, and Aaron had both of our cars ready to roll, Dad and Darren had already hooked up the trailer to the Barnyard, and John had his trailer hooked up, and the tarp bungied down with precision, so it appeared we were ready to roll.

Darren and Dale got the early jump on us this time, as we sat at the track entrance forever trying to find a hole in the traffic to make a left on US 136. Rachael and I, along with Boone, John, and Robert, all pulled into the first gas station we came across, about four miles down the road. We filled up with gas while Rachael stocked up everyone's coolers with ice and drinks.

We were almost ready to head out again when Daryl Yost's thumping 69 Chevelle came to a stop behind us, and he jumped out along with Mike, from the passenger's side (remember, the Drag Week Odd Couple). Who'd of thought, when they made their pact on registration day, that the 9 second car would be playing parts gopher for the 15 second Firebird? They were looking for an electric fuel pump, or possibly fittings to help them convert over to a smaller parts store electric pump. John stared at his perfectly wrapped trailer, then started taking straps loose, and dug out his spare mallory 140. Boone went through Dale's extensive collection of spare fittings, and since Dale wasn't there to complain, gave them enough for several different options. They left in the Chevelle, fairly confident that they could piece the Pontiac back together, and get it on the road.

We all pitched in to get John's trailer back under the tarp, and started out of Indianapolis.

000-wagons-trucks-amc-gassers-freaks-and-ratty-muscle-cars-of-drag-week-2015 - Copy.jpg199hrd-150900-faces-of-drag-week-2015-racers-portraits - Copy.jpg

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2015: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #1968801
12/13/15 04:22 AM
12/13/15 04:22 AM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
Five miles up I-74 West, Skippy called me to complain that the Belvedere was already at 220. I told him to have Rachael back off my bumper a couple of hundred feet to allow more fresh air through the radiator, and to tape over the gauge!
"Don't call me on this again, unless the thing is whistling like a tea pot and spitting water out on the windshield", I explained to him.
Fifteen miles later we jumped off on IL-136, and spent the next fifteen miles on a picturesque little two lane bracketed on both sides by farm houses and mature corn fields. Twenty miles in, Skippy was already done!

20150915_181057.jpg20150915_185955 - Copy.jpg

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2015: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #1968812
12/13/15 05:32 AM
12/13/15 05:32 AM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
We were 56 miles into our 284 mile trip, when we made a right turn onto US-41 heading due north, with only thirteen miles to go until the first checkpoint.
"A little warmer than yesterday on the temp gauge", Aaron pointed out.
"Yeah...she'll be fine!"
We were cruising along behind Doc McEntire's Camaro, and he was only running about fifty, which led me to believe his billet Goodwin Hemi was probably running warmer than he liked also...

20150915_181140.jpg20150915_185811.jpg

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2015: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #1968822
12/13/15 07:22 AM
12/13/15 07:22 AM
Central Missouri Fort Leonard...
mopar65 Offline
master
mopar65  Offline
master

Central Missouri Fort Leonard...
Originally Posted By MoparBilly
It was nearly 10pm when I called Boone on my long walk back down to the truck from the restaurant, for an update.

"Dad, and I are ready to roll. We broke in Darren's cam about twenty minutes ago, so He's hooking everything up to leave, but he still has to go by his house and pack.
"You aren't going to wait for him are you?"
"No way, we figure my rig will be the slowest anyway, so I'm getting ready to hit the road, Dale has to clean up and get some other stuff done also, so I'm going to head that way!"
"Alright, we're leaving Lambert's now."
"Are you driving all the way to the track", Boone questioned.
"I doubt it. John has a room in Collinsville, north of the track, but I'll probably stop short of St. Louis...like Sullivan or there about."

Rachael and Skippy were asleep before we made it back to I-44, and John was following me, so I was left to my own recognizance, and I did fairly well for the first hour, then the full belly and long day began to wear on me. The first thing you notice when driving fatigued, is that speed control is the first thing to go. Anyone who has traversed Southern Missouri understands that there is precious little flat ground, and I found myself charging down hills at 70, and cresting the next at 35, and that just wasn't acceptable, so I started looking for a suitable place to bail. Finally, I came upon exit 161, Fort Leonard Wood, and pulled into a Kum & Go.

"Gotta get rid of some of those throwed rolls?" John laughed as he pulled up beside me in the parking lot.
"Naw...I'm just done! Think I'm going to grab a room here and then make it into town in the morning."
"Ok...we're going to keep going", John agreed.
I grabbed one room with two queen beds on the side of the Liberty Lodge that was facing the parking lot we parked in, and called Boone before I settled into my bed. I told him where we were, and based on his calculations they were five hours behind us, Dale was an hour behind them, and Darren hadn't left his house yet!

Damn sorry I missed it.would of been cool to meet you guys.I live right off of exit 150 and work on fort wood. Maybe next year if you come back this way.cool story.

3520 pound race ready 1973 Street/Strip Dodge Dart - Stock stroke 440/727 10.49 @ 125.0 on 93 pump gas & ET Street Radials. More to come... ( SGT Miller) Proudly served 12 years in the US ARMY RESERVES support our troops
Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2015: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #1968883
12/13/15 12:54 PM
12/13/15 12:54 PM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
There really wasn't much to complain about at this point in the game, cruising down the back roads of rural Indiana in the lengthening shadows of the evening with the windows down, the window wings open, and the sound of 600 ready and willing horses reverberating off the occasional barn set out near the road.
"Did you and Robert get much sleep last night?"
"Not so much", Aaron pulled his gaze in from the side window, "you're in a catch 22 of sorts, how much do you sleep in, versus how much of the action on the strip do you want to miss!"
"I really appreciate all the wiring help today, kind of feel like an idiot!"
"Well, that was actually fun", he chuckled, "I wanted to be involved, today, I definitely was."

20150915_185900 - Copy.jpg20150915_181552.jpg

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2015: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #1968910
12/13/15 01:39 PM
12/13/15 01:39 PM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
We drove into the beautiful little town of Attica Indiana (population 3100), nestled between the Harrison Hills Golf and Country Club, and the Wabash River, for our first checkpoint of the drive. The Drag Week planning staff has always been partial to buildings with murals on them, especially if they have somewhat roomy parking lots, and this one was no different. We rolled up around 6:15pm, but somewhat surprisingly, the NAPA store across the street, and the Tire and Auto store whose parking lot we were using, had already rolled up their sidewalks and went home!

Drag Week 2015 075.JPG042 - Copy.JPG

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2015: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #1968990
12/13/15 04:05 PM
12/13/15 04:05 PM
Gilbert AZ
tsanchez Offline
enthusiast
tsanchez  Offline
enthusiast

Gilbert AZ
Who wouldn't love the nose on that gremmie

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2015: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #1969248
12/14/15 01:07 AM
12/14/15 01:07 AM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline OP
master
MoparBilly  Offline OP
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
Skippy was complaining about the Belvedere reaching 250 degrees almost as soon as they parked for their picture, so that got everyone's attention. Drag Weeker Jeff McConnell, who was riding shotgun in Doc's Camaro this year, walked over for a look, with a small infra-red temp gun in his hand.
"Two twenty at the very hottest spot", he shrugged, "I don't think the gauge is accurate".
"I've suspected that for a while", I confirmed, "What about you guys?"
"Well, he had zero road time on that big Hemi, before we arrived, so we've been dialing in the fuel injection as we go. With all our little tweaks along the way, we've pulled about twenty-five degrees of engine temp out of it since we left St. Louis, but those first twenty miles had us really nervous!"
James "Doc" McEntire walked over and I asked him if he got the number he wanted today. His face instantly lit up, "Yeah! 8.37-169! Quickest NA car on Drag Week, now we just have to keep it together!"

Rachael, Skippy, John and Opal had all been monitoring social media for constant updates from other drag weekers, and there was a report of a bridge out fifty miles up the road, and several, different versions of which was the best way around it. Rachael was scribbling alternate routes on my sheet...now that made me nervous!

11113347_10153703253903938_1205774694567040843_o.jpg043 - Copy.JPG

Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2015: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly] #1969265
12/14/15 01:27 AM
12/14/15 01:27 AM
Topeka Kansas
K
ksj Offline
master
ksj  Offline
master
K

Topeka Kansas
8.37 in a "soft" class.Doc and Jeff are good people.

Page 9 of 28 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 27 28