Canada
D
Dons Dart Offline OP
mopar
Dons Dart  Offline OP
mopar
D

Canada
Hi all,I have removed the carbon canister and the line going to the tank,to clean things up under the hood.At the very top of the tank there is spot were that line attach to.My Question how can I use it for venting,i know the tank has to be vented but how.Thanks in advance.

Re: 74 Duster gas tank venting. [Re: Dons Dart] #1928670
10/08/15 10:42 PM
10/08/15 10:42 PM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
There are a few ways to vent it. Actually the stock venting system works good but it sounds like you damaged the factory vents. You could just run a vented gas cap if you cant use any of the stock tank vents. All of your stock vents should have ended up going to the a type of vapor seperator unit and then to the charcoal canister. The charcoal canister works good but you have to have a purge system set up to purge it. Many guys just unhook the line at the canister and let it vent to atmosphere. Or just run a vent line off the tank but you have to run it up and the right way so no raw fuel can come out the vent. But if you have a side mounted gas cap then you can just put a vented gas cap on it. If your caps in the rear and you use a vented cap it may leak when you get on it. My 63 has a vented cap and its in the back behind my tag. It only leaks a little gas if I have over 1/2 tank when I go racing. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 10/08/15 10:44 PM.
Re: 74 Duster gas tank venting. [Re: Dons Dart] #1929091
10/09/15 03:32 PM
10/09/15 03:32 PM
md
M
mopars4ever Offline
I Live Here
mopars4ever  Offline
I Live Here
M

md
Ron, the duster gas cap is on the side quarter panel. I`m not sure that he can find a vented cap that will fit that filler neck. Right or wrong I left my line connected to the canister.

Re: 74 Duster gas tank venting. [Re: Dons Dart] #1929128
10/09/15 04:23 PM
10/09/15 04:23 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
You don't want a vented gas cap, not on any of our cars, new or old. Because it'll leak gas and it will smell inside your garage.

The best course of action is to leave the vent line in place and terminate it either, into the valve cover breather, or the air cleaner housing or leave it open on top of the intake manifold. It won't smell up the garage like that. My vent line has been open for 5 years now up front on top of my engine and I have drove over 10K miles since then. I never got around to terminating it in my engine and was surprised I did not smell it. I think it's because the vent line is long.

If you try to vent it back by the tank it will leak out and smell especially with vented gas cap which is the totally wrong way to do it.

There's no other good way to vent the tank without having it smell up your garage or leak out during spirited driving. When it is up top of the engine like the factory did it then none can spill out like when the tank is full. I have a 74 and know all about tanks and venting.

Put the vent line BACK IN IF YOU WANT A SOLID CAR TO DRIVE. MY twocents

Looks stupid but there is my gas tank vent line on my 74 with the rubber hose around it to keep it off the back of my alternator. That's the factory vent line, from there it goes to the charcoal canister. Would be easy to connect to the air filter housing, never have done it yet. This car ain't no show poodle, it has been driven hard and a lot. Everything works like it should.

I got drunk and forgot I left my hood open and went to bed. lol stirthepot laugh2 No harm done, it fired up and warmed up and the snow melted. I drove the crap out of it this past year and every summer since 2003 when I got it out after a 18 year storage deal. The dist cap is off and full of snow just like the dist was full of snow. I blew it out and snapped
the cap back on with frozen ice in my dist and it fired and run lot's of milers this past summer.

5 minutes later, it started right up and is warming up in this picture.

My wife drives it too, she would not put up with gas smell.

Re: 74 Duster gas tank venting. [Re: mopars4ever] #1929496
10/10/15 10:37 AM
10/10/15 10:37 AM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
Originally Posted By mopars4ever
Ron, the duster gas cap is on the side quarter panel. I`m not sure that he can find a vented cap that will fit that filler neck. Right or wrong I left my line connected to the canister.

Its fine to leave it hooked to the charcoal canister but if you dont have a purge system set up to purge it the canister will get full of gas fumes and after a bit it wont let the tank vent good since it will be full of stored gas fumes. Ron

Re: 74 Duster gas tank venting. [Re: Dons Dart] #1929499
10/10/15 10:39 AM
10/10/15 10:39 AM
Canada
D
Dons Dart Offline OP
mopar
Dons Dart  Offline OP
mopar
D

Canada
You had to show SNOW lol its coming too fast.I think i will go in the right direction,now i need a new line and a canister.Booth went in the garbage.Thanks for the help,I did not like the gas smell in my shelter either come from my 69 Dart.

Re: 74 Duster gas tank venting. [Re: Challenger 1] #1929503
10/10/15 10:53 AM
10/10/15 10:53 AM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
[quote=Challenger 1]You don't want a vented gas cap, not on any of our cars, new or old. Because it'll leak gas and it will smell inside your garage.

You will get some gas smell in very hot weather no matter where you vent the tank if you vent it to atmosphere. I dont get much gas smell at all with my rear vented cap on my 63 even in hot weather. Alot of factory cars used vented caps over the years before they went to a closed system. My sons Dart is a side cap and we have a vented cap on it that never leaks any gas as you would just about have to turn the car on its side for gas to get to the cap.

I agree that venting to the breather (eng crankcase) is a good idea but it will cause a richer mixture on hot soak starts. If the OP still has his vent line to the canister he could still use it to vent as it will vent up front where the canister was. He could also get a breather cap from one that vented to the crankcase and hook the vent line that went to the canister to it but he needs to make sure he has his PCV system hooked up and workingh. Ron

Re: 74 Duster gas tank venting. [Re: 383man] #1929518
10/10/15 11:20 AM
10/10/15 11:20 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Yup I agree what you posted about the crankcase venting, but you admitted yourself that if the tank was near full and you drag raced it, it would leak a little fuel. So IMO that is not a good deal. Now I also know you have 10 year old older car and it was done different then.

I also recognize having the vent line open on top of my intake manifold is stupid and maybe a little dangerous? But being right next the carburetor I never noticed any usual gas smell when my car was inside the garage. I wanted to point out how well the factory vent lines works up in the engine compartment.

My 71 has the 3 nipple breather and that's where's it's connected from the factory and has worked well for 10 years now for me. I don't notice any problems starting the car on real hot days. It was 95° at 2 cruises we went to this year with lot's of stop and go with no problems with the vent line connected to the crankcase. Air filter would be ideal too imo.

The canister like you said maybe ? an issue without purging it.

With the PCV systems on both my cars that purges my motor and that where my gas tank is vented into so it gets purged of gas fumes that way.

When I was teenager, I had vented cap on a challenger. It would leak down my quarter panel on hard left turns even with a half a tank of fuel.

Last edited by Challenger 1; 10/10/15 04:57 PM.
Re: 74 Duster gas tank venting. [Re: Challenger 1] #1929880
10/10/15 11:02 PM
10/10/15 11:02 PM
D
dogdays Offline
I Live Here
dogdays  Offline
I Live Here
D

There's another issue and that is it may not be easy to find a vented gas cap that fits. IIRC the gas caps were changed a little bit to make people keep the non-vented caps on their rides.

Taking off the evap emission system is ignorant, unless it's a single purpose race car. It's a rarity to smell gasoline on the road these days, or to walk through a parking lot on a hot day and be nauseated by the fumes. I notice every car that smells like gasoline as I'm driving. Most are unmaintained pieces of crap.

R.

Re: 74 Duster gas tank venting. [Re: dogdays] #1929941
10/11/15 12:13 AM
10/11/15 12:13 AM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
Originally Posted By dogdays
There's another issue and that is it may not be easy to find a vented gas cap that fits. IIRC the gas caps were changed a little bit to make people keep the non-vented caps on their rides.

Taking off the evap emission system is ignorant, unless it's a single purpose race car. It's a rarity to smell gasoline on the road these days, or to walk through a parking lot on a hot day and be nauseated by the fumes. I notice every car that smells like gasoline as I'm driving. Most are unmaintained pieces of crap.

R.

Yes it was actually a good idea when they went to the closed evap system and used the charcoal canister to store the gas fumes as I am sure on the older cars that the tanks were vented to the atmosphere there would be some gas fumes smell on very hot days. The thing is I think if you dont purge the fumes from the canister it will get full of stored fuel fumes and I believe it would not vent the tank right with the canister full of gas fumes. Thats why they purge the fumes from the canisters on all cars with them.

Challenger 1 says he has no rich starting problems with his vented to the crankcase as that would be your best bet if you dont want it vented to atmosphere. Just get the three nipple breather and hook the tank vent line to it. The third line on it was for the carb bowl vent on the breather and you can just plug that line. This way the tank vents into the crankcase and when you start the car the fumes get pulled through the PCV valve and burnt in the eng cylinders. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 10/11/15 12:17 AM.