01/13/09 05:26 PM
01/13/09 05:26 PM
Kentucky, USA
R
RoadrunnerCN Offline OP
RoadrunnerCN  Offline OP
R

Kentucky, USA
You guys were great on answering some information on installing a new dash, thanks!

Got another question. If my '70 satellite leaks on the driver's side around the windshield (but can't see why/where, just by looking at it) and if I want to get a new windshield and dash anyway...what other concerns about rust should I be looking for. In other words, what does the windsheild "seat" to? It looks like maybe the front lip of the dash where it is bolted to the firewall, but I can't tell. If I replace the dash, do you think that will solve the rust problem or, typically, will there be a can of worms under the lip of the dash where it is bolted? Is it bolted to the firewall and does that typically rust? (Don't laugh at me I know these ol' mopars rust, but I just don't know what I'm getting into without being able to see it. Almost afraid to open the can of worms if you know what I mean.) Let me know if you will. Thanks! Chris.

Re: Windshield Seating [Re: RoadrunnerCN] #192298
01/13/09 06:04 PM
01/13/09 06:04 PM
North Riverside IL & Lowell IN
GTXKen Offline
super gas
GTXKen  Offline
super gas

North Riverside IL & Lowell IN
The windsheild seats to a lip thats formed in the cowl and not to the dash at all, it just looks that way. Only once the windsheild is out will you know how much rust you have, its always a can of worms. repair the rust, clean and paint it and get a new windshield seal.

After the winshield is out you can get to the bolts that secure the dash. Relace the dash (and if you want to the headliner)before you put a new windshield in the car.

Are you sure its leaking around the windshield? Could it be coming from the wiper pivot seal? This is very common.

Re: Windshield Seating [Re: GTXKen] #192299
01/13/09 06:21 PM
01/13/09 06:21 PM
Kentucky, USA
R
RoadrunnerCN Offline OP
RoadrunnerCN  Offline OP
R

Kentucky, USA
GTXKen: Good question, I'll check. Thanks for the suggestion. Typically, and I know it can vary greatly, but what kind of mess does one usually find? My car was a FL car before I purchased it. (Lotsa sand on the underside, ugh), but overall not so bad except the trunk and I replaced that. Thanks! Chris.