Spokane Valley WA
D
dan6412 Offline OP
enthusiast
dan6412  Offline OP
enthusiast
D

Spokane Valley WA
Looking for anyone with input or experience with these systems.
Replaced the steering box and power steering pump, bleed the system everything seemed to be fine. Drove the truck a few miles making a few left and right turns, took a right turn and lost power steering for a second or so. It came right back but I could tell it was not as it was. Drove it back home and a checked for air in the fluid, everything looks good but the pump is whining when you turn the wheel as if it was low on fluid and the lines got so HOT that I actually have burn blisters on my arm from them.

Im thinking it's the pump, I have already pulled it back off and
have the parts store bringing in another one. Fluid look clean and that when I drained it too.

any thoughts Moparts?

Thanks Dan

Last edited by dan6412; 08/28/15 12:50 PM.
Re: 2002 cummins power steering and hydroboost issues [Re: dan6412] #1901078
08/28/15 01:35 PM
08/28/15 01:35 PM
PORT ALBERNI , BC., CANADA
superwrench Offline
master
superwrench  Offline
master

PORT ALBERNI , BC., CANADA
I had that happen in my '92 Cummins.....changed the pump because there was intermittent assist. Drove it for a few days and it started making some heavy duty whining and then hardly ANY assist at all. That's a handful to steer a 4wd diesel with NO power assist !! As you mentioned, the hose and lines to the pump were pretty hot...changed out the pump again and it was fine for years after that. I'm thinking the problems are pressure regulator valves in the pumps.....and I was just lucky enough to get a POS rebuild the first time.... Hope the new pump solves your issue....

Re: 2002 cummins power steering and hydroboost issues [Re: dan6412] #1901655
08/29/15 02:53 AM
08/29/15 02:53 AM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
How did you bleed it? I've only had good luck by jacking the front end up, and moving the wheel lock-lock with the engine off several times. Eventually starting it and doing the same thing.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
Re: 2002 cummins power steering and hydroboost issues [Re: hooziewhatsit] #1902114
08/29/15 10:41 PM
08/29/15 10:41 PM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
That's how I've always bled power steering systems that I've worked on. they "self bleed" through use. First start up, I turn the wheel lock to lock several times. Of course, this will aerate the fluid full of bubbles. I shut it off and let it sit a few hours, or a day to let the bubbles percolate up and for the fluid to "settle" Then I top off and do it again.

Usually this is enough to get enough air out of the system to take it for a drive. I will come back a week later and check fluid level and top off as needed.

Now, for the cummins issue...I've read quite a bit about the power steering 'whine' that sounds like it's coming from the dash. Stepping on the brake causes the noise to go away. there's a lining in the power steering hoses going to the hydro boost that can separate. There's a youtube video of a guy unhooking his lines, removing this liner, and reinstalling everything. Lots of guys on Cumminsforum have had luck doing this.

I tried it with mine, but when I unhooked my hoses, there was no sign of a separated lining, so I'm dealing with a hiss still.
Don't know if I need to go after the hydroboost unit on the firewall, or if my pump is acting up.

**Photobucket sucks**