01/09/09 03:56 PM
01/09/09 03:56 PM
Iowa
burdar Offline OP
Owen's Dad
burdar  Offline OP
Owen's Dad

Iowa
I read somewhere recently that in 73 the "light group" consisted of the following;

courticy light
glove box light
ash tray light
map light
?console light?
trunk light
???anything else???

I was looking at the fender tag on dad's Rallye and saw that he DID NOT get the light group, but the car has some of the features of that package. The car has glove box, trunk and map light. When you turned the knob on the dash, the overhead light would come on witch I assume is the courticy light. I'm not sure about the ashtray though. Were some of these things standard even if you didn't opt for the "light group?" Did you get some with the Rallye package even though I havn't seen anything like that listed in the A57 package?

Re: "light group" question [Re: burdar] #188590
01/09/09 04:03 PM
01/09/09 04:03 PM
Pewaukee, WI
Airgrabber Offline
master
Airgrabber  Offline
master

Pewaukee, WI
Ususally there are fender mounted turn signal lights with the light package too.

Re: "light group" question [Re: Airgrabber] #188591
01/09/09 04:06 PM
01/09/09 04:06 PM
Iowa
burdar Offline OP
Owen's Dad
burdar  Offline OP
Owen's Dad

Iowa
I forgot to mention that the car also has the fender mounted turn signal lights but there is a separate code on the fender tag for that.

Re: "light group" question [Re: burdar] #188592
01/09/09 07:04 PM
01/09/09 07:04 PM
Harlan, Iowa
69CoronetRT Offline
master
69CoronetRT  Offline
master

Harlan, Iowa
Quote:

I was looking at the fender tag on dad's Rallye and saw that he DID NOT get the light group,

Are you sure the code would even be on the tag if it had the light group?

Seeking:

1969 St. Louis plant VINs, SPD, and VONs.
Over 2,000 thanks to you!
Re: "light group" question [Re: 69CoronetRT] #188593
01/09/09 07:44 PM
01/09/09 07:44 PM
Iowa
burdar Offline OP
Owen's Dad
burdar  Offline OP
Owen's Dad

Iowa
I don't know that for sure but I assumed that it would be. Why would some be on the tag and not others? The code for the fender mounted turn signals is L31.

Re: "light group" question [Re: burdar] #188594
01/09/09 09:09 PM
01/09/09 09:09 PM
Harlan, Iowa
69CoronetRT Offline
master
69CoronetRT  Offline
master

Harlan, Iowa
Quote:

I don't know that for sure but I assumed that it would be. Why would some be on the tag and not others? The code for the fender mounted turn signals is L31.

Was L31 available outside of the light group?

Last edited by 69CoronetRT; 01/09/09 10:07 PM.

Seeking:

Re: "light group" question [Re: burdar] #188595
01/09/09 09:38 PM
01/09/09 09:38 PM
St. Louis, Mo
318 Stroker Offline
master
318 Stroker  Offline
master

St. Louis, Mo
Quote:

I read somewhere recently that in 73 the "light group" consisted of the following;

courticy light
glove box light
ash tray light
map light
?console light?
trunk light
???anything else???

I was looking at the fender tag on dad's Rallye and saw that he DID NOT get the light group, but the car has some of the features of that package. The car has glove box, trunk and map light. When you turned the knob on the dash, the overhead light would come on witch I assume is the courticy light. I'm not sure about the ashtray though. Were some of these things standard even if you didn't opt for the "light group?" Did you get some with the Rallye package even though I havn't seen anything like that listed in the A57 package?

Per the 73 coding guide, the following was included with the A01-Light Pkg: (Order codes from the broadcast sheet are listed in parentheses)

(L31) Turn Signal Indicator-Fender Mounted
(L25) Trunk Light
(L11) Glove Box light
(L15) Ash Receiver Light
(L65) Ignition Switch Light w/Time Delay
(L74) Instrument Panel Flood Light w/Time Delay
(L05) Map/Courtesy Light

I have a 73 Challenger that I bought when it was 6 mos. old w/6000 miles on it. It was bone stock original, and unmolested, so I can verify the way it came from the factory.

The car is a 318, non-rallye car. It did come with the A01-Light Pkg. However, this code does not appear on my fender tag or broadcast sheet. A note in Section "A" on the B/Cast sheet, which would list codes for "Combination Groups", says: Only group codes with non-coded items will be B/Cast. Other groups to be shown by individual item codes only. That is why the A01 pkg. is not called out on the B/cast sheet, and probably the same reason it is not listed on the fender tag.
Every individual item listed in the group has it's own separate code on the B/Cast sheet.

What is listed on my fender tag is the following:

(L25) Trunk Light
(L31) Turn Signal Indicators-Fender Mounted

Notice that these are the only two lights in the pkg. that are not in the interior of the car, so I assume that that is why they are listed on the fender tag, and not the interior lights. Don't ask me why, because I don't know.

If you will notice, the map/courtesy lights are two names for the same light. It is the light under the dash on the passenger side.

The light that comes on when you turn the dash switch is the dome light, and it came standard on all E-bodies.

All of the lights that I listed as part of the A01-Light Pkg. only came with the pkg. You could not order them individually. No lights came as part of the A57-Rallye pkg. Also, a console light was never offered. However, all console-equpped automatics had a shift-indicator light as std. equipment.

Also, as a side note, in 1970 the coding guide says that the fender-mounted turn signals were omitted on R/T's and the A66-340 pkg. I don't know if this was the case in 73, as the coding guide makes no mention of it. I've heard that the reason that they were omitted is because the raised R/T hood blocked the driver's view of the light that was mounted on the passsenger fender. I don't know this reason to be fact, but it's the only one that makes any sense.

I hope that the above info. is a big help to you.

Allen

Last edited by 318 Stroker; 01/09/09 09:39 PM.
Re: "light group" question [Re: 318 Stroker] #188596
01/10/09 12:54 AM
01/10/09 12:54 AM
Iowa
burdar Offline OP
Owen's Dad
burdar  Offline OP
Owen's Dad

Iowa
Thanks Allen. That's a lot of good information. If you would bear with me though...you said the car you have (or had) was a base model so I assume it had a flat hood. Did your car have all of the equipment listed in the "light group" even though only two were listed on the tag?

Dad's car is a Rallye so it has the raised hood and it DOES HAVE the fender mounted turn signals so they were available in 73 on a Rallye. The car has the trunk light, map light and the glove box light but I'm sure it DOES NOT have the ignition switch light.........

Whoa Hold on a minute...is the ignition light a small cylinder shaped piece the same color as the colom, right by the key? If that is it, then yes the car does have the ignition light. The light itself must have burned out years ago because I never remember seeing it on. Please explain the dash flood light a little further please.

As I'm writing this I'm remembering things about the car that I had forgotten. I'm kind of working things out in my head as I write this. The car has been appart for over 10 years and is at the bodyshop right now. I don't have the broadcast sheet for the car...I found a sheet for a Cuda under the seat of the Challenger.

So what you are saying is that you couldn't pick and choose certain pieces of the "light group"...if you got one you got them all.

This is the fender tag and as you can see..the only thing listed is the L31.

Re: "light group" question [Re: burdar] #188597
01/10/09 04:10 AM
01/10/09 04:10 AM
Harlan, Iowa
69CoronetRT Offline
master
69CoronetRT  Offline
master

Harlan, Iowa
you have a PM

JA5 is a great color.

Last edited by 69CoronetRT; 01/10/09 04:15 AM.

Seeking:

Re: "light group" question [Re: burdar] #188598
01/10/09 11:59 AM
01/10/09 11:59 AM
St. Louis, Mo
318 Stroker Offline
master
318 Stroker  Offline
master

St. Louis, Mo
Quote:

Thanks Allen. That's a lot of good information. If you would bear with me though...you said the car you have (or had) was a base model so I assume it had a flat hood. Did your car have all of the equipment listed in the "light group" even though only two were listed on the tag?

Dad's car is a Rallye so it has the raised hood and it DOES HAVE the fender mounted turn signals so they were available in 73 on a Rallye. The car has the trunk light, map light and the glove box light but I'm sure it DOES NOT have the ignition switch light.........

Whoa Hold on a minute...is the ignition light a small cylinder shaped piece the same color as the colom, right by the key? If that is it, then yes the car does have the ignition light. The light itself must have burned out years ago because I never remember seeing it on. Please explain the dash flood light a little further please.

As I'm writing this I'm remembering things about the car that I had forgotten. I'm kind of working things out in my head as I write this. The car has been appart for over 10 years and is at the bodyshop right now. I don't have the broadcast sheet for the car...I found a sheet for a Cuda under the seat of the Challenger.

So what you are saying is that you couldn't pick and choose certain pieces of the "light group"...if you got one you got them all.

This is the fender tag and as you can see..the only thing listed is the L31.

Hi Darren....Glad to help in any way that I can.

Yes I still own my 73 Challenger. It got restored 5 yrs. ago, and is resting peacefully in my garage, settled in for a long winter's hibernation...

The car did come with a flat hood, but I put a rallye hood on it back in the 70's. It has the light pkg., and has every item that I listed as part of the pkg.

The small cylinder by your key is the ign. switch time delay. As far as the IP flood light, I think it was a light over the switches. I'm not sure now, as I added a rallye cluster in the 70's.

As to why my car has the L25-trunk light and L31-fender lights listed on the FT, and yours only has the L31, I don't know the answer. Ma Mopar did some weird stuff...

I do know that my car has some coded options that appear on my broadcast sheet, but not on the FT.

According to the 73 coding guide, there were no provisions to pick and choose individual items from the light pkg. It was an all-or-none proposition.

Bear in mind that my observations and conclusions are based on my individual car, with it's accompanying FT and buildsheet, and a 73 coding guide. Others on this forum may chime in with differing information. That's what makes this hobby so interesting....

Re: "light group" question [Re: 318 Stroker] #188599
01/10/09 12:23 PM
01/10/09 12:23 PM
Iowa
burdar Offline OP
Owen's Dad
burdar  Offline OP
Owen's Dad

Iowa
Thanks again Allen.

What do you know about the AO4 "basic group" My RED BOOK lists it as a $297.85 option but doesn't go into detail about what that gets you. My guess is that Dad's car doesn't have it because it has the R11 AM radio and the RED BOOK says that that option is WITHOUT AO4.

Also I have a discrepincy on one code. The RED BOOK says that J54 is the sport hood that is standard with A57 and the 340. The breakdown I got through "StockDodge.com" says that J54 is a hood insulating pad. Which is correct?

Are you getting your information from a website or do you have literature that has the codes broken out?

Re: "light group" question [Re: burdar] #188600
01/10/09 02:08 PM
01/10/09 02:08 PM
St. Louis, Mo
318 Stroker Offline
master
318 Stroker  Offline
master

St. Louis, Mo
Quote:

Thanks again Allen.

What do you know about the AO4 "basic group" My RED BOOK lists it as a $297.85 option but doesn't go into detail about what that gets you. My guess is that Dad's car doesn't have it because it has the R11 AM radio and the RED BOOK says that that option is WITHOUT AO4.

Also I have a discrepincy on one code. The RED BOOK says that J54 is the sport hood that is standard with A57 and the 340. The breakdown I got through "StockDodge.com" says that J54 is a hood insulating pad. Which is correct?

Are you getting your information from a website or do you have literature that has the codes broken out?

The coding guide that I use is a photo-copy of the actual literature that the dealer had to use when he filled out the individual order form for each car. Mine are undated, so I don't know if they are from early or late in the model year.
Running revisions were made as the model year progressed. I also use the VIN decoder on stockmopar.com. It's fairly accurate, but all literature and websites do contain conflicting info. Even various pieces of factory lit don't always jive...

My coding guide shows A04-Basic Group as:

power steering
AM radio
std size WW tires (must code)
deluxe wheel covers
light pkg
left remote mirror
3-speed wipers
undercoating w/ hood pad

(NOTE: Any released mirrors, radios, road wheels, or W.S.W. or R.W.L. tires may be ordered at differential price.)

What the RED BOOK means is if you have A04, the radio is standard, so it's no longer available as an option.

I'm a little confused myself on J54. There is a J5- box on the BS, w/ no 3rd digit added. The box heading is "Sport hood". Mine has no 3rd digit code. I'm thinking J54 must be the hood. There is no box heading for the hood pad by itself. The next box to the right of sport hood is "Undercoating" and mine is coded J55., with the 3rd digit added. Makes sense, as mine has the undercoating and hood pad. Remember now that the coding guide makes no provision for the pad to be ordered separately. However, stockmopar.com also shows J54 as the hood pad... Who knows??...