Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Maybe a new direction coming for NHRA Pro Stock [Re: pittsburghracer] #1872100
07/17/15 01:19 AM
07/17/15 01:19 AM
NJ
A
arc Offline
enthusiast
arc  Offline
enthusiast
A

NJ
I know everyone has a answer for making pro stock better but I hope they don't change anything. I have dreamed about racing a pro stock car for 20 years and this year I got my shot. I feel that the changes they want make are already in place in super stock.

Re: Maybe a new direction coming for NHRA Pro Stock [Re: arc] #1872111
07/17/15 01:34 AM
07/17/15 01:34 AM
toronto
6PAK70CUDA Offline
mopar
6PAK70CUDA  Offline
mopar

toronto
Time for a change indeed. Either go mountain motor in a more legit body or go the route of the current production based engines in a legit body. Do something. This current format is god awful.

Re: Maybe a new direction coming for NHRA Pro Stock [Re: pittsburghracer] #1872292
07/17/15 01:15 PM
07/17/15 01:15 PM
Arkansas
A
Adrielp Offline
mopar
Adrielp  Offline
mopar
A

Arkansas
I'm 28, I love Pro Stock and think that Pro Level NA racing should be kept in place but also realize that from a marketing standpoint, taking advantage of boosted racing popularity maybe beneficial. If it happens however, the only way it will occur is with a slow progression over a period of say 3yrs. There are just too many many teams with millions invested in 500ci engine development programs. I don't think you can afford to lose constituents like Ken Black, Allen Johnson, Richard Freeman, Gray Motorsports, etc in the hope that they will be replaced by another group of individuals so its has to be a racer friendly transition.

Realistically, I think we will see a change made to the bodies to maintain a more stock appearing car. Reduced or no hood scoops as well. I do not think they will force them to go to all steel bodies as that would slow the cars down and nobody wants that.

I think they will make a move to fuel injection to help with the hood situation

Lastly, I think they are going make the PS Group as a whole operate less secretively in an effort to make the fan experience more enjoyable. Its hard for any fan to get excited about a car with black sheets covering up the engine bay and rearend.

I wish them good luck with switching engine platforms. I don't see an easy way out of that one. If you go to an OEM NA platform, you slow the cars down significantly. If you go to boosted combinations like the class shootout stuff, you have to govern a parity nightmare that I don't feel NHRA would like to handle or enjoy.

Last edited by Adrielp; 07/17/15 01:16 PM.

Adriel Paradise
Substation Design Engineer III
Re: Maybe a new direction coming for NHRA Pro Stock [Re: 9SecRoadRunner] #1872633
07/17/15 11:36 PM
07/17/15 11:36 PM
St. Paul , Mn.
tubtar Offline
master
tubtar  Offline
master

St. Paul , Mn.
Originally Posted By 9SecRoadRunner
Doesnt Toyota make a V8 ? be careful what you wish for

DING DING DING We have a winner !!!
The infusion of new cash will be in yen , but with a relatively strong dollar ( for now ) the bonuses will be the same for years to come.
I am only about 10 % joking here.
Don't be surprised to see new players in the game , and this will likely alienate the American manufacturers if they can't compete.
You have to admit , when the powers that be get to cat herding , they don't leave many strays.

Re: Maybe a new direction coming for NHRA Pro Stock [Re: tubtar] #1872708
07/18/15 01:41 AM
07/18/15 01:41 AM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

I'm for N/A Pro-stock engines based on the new versions on the market now along with Factory stock bodies that resemble a factory/dealer offering.
Maybe this will bring back the design of the New Generation Charger that was unveiled back in 2005 or so.
That Charger body was both swoopy and beautiful, just like it should be.
There could be two classes.
*N/A as outlaw Pro-stock and EFI as factory stock pro-stock.

Re: Maybe a new direction coming for NHRA Pro Stock [Re: pittsburghracer] #1874444
07/20/15 05:22 PM
07/20/15 05:22 PM
Ohio
shorthorse Offline
enthusiast
shorthorse  Offline
enthusiast

Ohio
First let me state, I am old. I have seen drag racing change and I understand that change is a constant. It's hard to pinpoint NHRA's agenda except you know that it's about money first. If you look at the stands at televised races, they are not always full. Same for NASCAR. NHRA took the NASCAR model long ago when they conceived the "pro" classes. To the uninformed, it's no longer about the cars or even drag racing. For them it's about "my guy". But that crowd is fickled and the rising ticket prices send them running. You can't tell what brand a car is unless you look hard for the insignia or you have to wait for the interview, "I'd like to thank my crew for making my Depends, Draino, Goo-Goo Cluster, Joe's Plumbing Supply, Flex-Seal Pontiac run so well. It's just a big rolling billboard but how else are you going to pay for it?
People that actually race see the sport in a different way. NHRA failed to notice the popularity of Pinks All Out. Regardless of what you think of the show, it filled the stands and the pits. It had regular guys running regular cars that looked like cars. 10.5 and 275 cars look like real cars. They can be identified with. Back in the day (remember I'm old) stockers and super stockers were wildly popular. Now they are gone from the pits by Friday to make room for the "pros". Back then factories participated a lot and their motto was "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday". Your lucky if they even mention the other class winners during the broadcast nowadays.
I'll concede to factors like the economy and that, like Monte said, the days of the "factory wars" are over. I may be wrong but this may be an attempt to appeal to a different crowd. Not the "my guy" crowd but the car crowd.

Rant over.

Re: Maybe a new direction coming for NHRA Pro Stock [Re: shorthorse] #1874542
07/20/15 08:03 PM
07/20/15 08:03 PM
East Coast
A
A/MP Offline
super stock
A/MP  Offline
super stock
A

East Coast
IT IS ALL ABOUT THE SANCTIONING BODY!!! If you remember drag racing from the start it was street racing. Wally and company came along to get the racing off the streets and get rid of the "punks on the street" image. Great. The sport grew. Lots of new faces. Local and national heroes. Innovation! Innovation! Innovation! And forget the Big Three factory support, that went along with the innovation. Then came "BIG MONEY". Then Wally and company lost their way. With the Nitro guys, it was allowing Bernstein to have several back up motors for an event. Blow it up and replace it for the next round. This raised the amount of money needed to compete. Stock Eliminator- A thru Z stock, anybody could race. Super stock was the next step up for the stockers. Transition from S to SS was a natural progression. Modified Production and Gassers to Pro Stock. It all worked because the rules were not so stringent and just about anyone could find a class and compete. AND NOT TO KNOCK WARREN JOHNSON... but his development of the present day pro stock motor killed the class. If you don't have at least 2 team cars you are out of luck...Force, Schumaker, Kallita, Summit, Elite etc. Classes must be able to evolve. Safety is at the forefront. For every organization that I have worked, it is the guys in the trenches that get things done and make things grow. The suits... they created the term cluster f_ _ _ with their actions or inaction's . So my solution for PS is steel bodies, production motors, 12" tire, 5 spd. trans and either carb or efi. I think the present AAA/SA record is 8.33 on a 9" tire. Seven seconds not that far off. I can see that same car on the street about 10 times a day. Mustang and Challenger all over the place. I can spot these cars on the highway or traffic jam. Other than a dragster, I can't tell, with a quick glance, the difference between a FC or PS unless I see the factory logo. Case in point, Nostalgia classes, Dragster, Funny Car Super Stock and Gas, there has been a big resurgences and excitement among racers and spectators. Same goes for NMCA and outlaw classes. And not to commit a mortal sin but yes... Street Outlaws TV show, Pinks and Grudge. Fun, payouts and a budget with which to work, that's what will keep this sport alive. Remember the 1/4 mile is getting too short for the speeds that are being run by the pros.Roll back the need for big $ and the speeds will slow down. Then, through innovation, the tracks will have time to prepare for the next round of performance. Remember... there are racers and spectators and we all need to survive.

Re: Maybe a new direction coming for NHRA Pro Stock [Re: A/MP] #1874608
07/20/15 09:46 PM
07/20/15 09:46 PM
F
fullmetaljacket Offline
master
fullmetaljacket  Offline
master
F

I wanna compete in a Pro-stock Mini-bike class.
Bring 'em on.
My Mini-bike looks, sounds and moves like a real mini-bike, because it is.
I bet if I went down the 1/4 right now with it, everyone would know exactly what it is. Point put across.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3