07/12/15 01:59 AM
07/12/15 01:59 AM
usa
S
smos001 Offline OP
smos001  Offline OP
S

usa
I'm installing an retrofit Classic Air AC in my challenger.
Everything is new except the evaporator in the car/heater box.
I am about to flush the evaporator core.
After that, the plan is to put everything in and hook up the hoses etc.

The issue is the evaporator core:
If I flush the evaporator core with a flush kit, how do you make sure it's dry in there?
And do I just hook up the dryer, compressor, condenser etc and have an AC shop just fill the system with R134 after I flush the evaporator? how long do you let the evaporator sit open to dry the evaporator? or Should you even leave it open at all after I flush it?

Also, is there some concern with how long the new dryer is open to the open air or to the closed system with just air in the hoses? Do you have to connect the dryer last and quickly?
How do you do this safely?
I have the new condenser in the car now capped. the rest of the new stuff is in a box for the past several months waiting until this point.
Thanks

Re: Classic AC install and old evaporator help [Re: smos001] #1868812
07/12/15 03:08 PM
07/12/15 03:08 PM
Colorado
D
denfireguy Offline
top fuel
denfireguy  Offline
top fuel
D

Colorado
Originally Posted By smos001
I'm installing an retrofit Classic Air AC in my challenger.
Everything is new except the evaporator in the car/heater box.
I am about to flush the evaporator core.
After that, the plan is to put everything in and hook up the hoses etc.

The issue is the evaporator core:
If I flush the evaporator core with a flush kit, how do you make sure it's dry in there?
And do I just hook up the dryer, compressor, condenser etc and have an AC shop just fill the system with R134 after I flush the evaporator? how long do you let the evaporator sit open to dry the evaporator? or Should you even leave it open at all after I flush it?

Also, is there some concern with how long the new dryer is open to the open air or to the closed system with just air in the hoses? Do you have to connect the dryer last and quickly?
How do you do this safely?
I have the new condenser in the car now capped. the rest of the new stuff is in a box for the past several months waiting until this point.
Thanks
Put in the dryer last and quickly, especially if you are in a humid area. Most important is to check for leaks by taking the system down with a vacuum pump. Do that with the old dryer still in place. Getting the pressure down lowers the boiling point of water and dries the system out. If it holds vacuum then there are no leaks. I kept mine for week at 25". That is as low as you can go at my altitude. You should be able to go lower. Relieve the vacuum and change the dryer and take it down to vacuum again. At that point, you should charge the system.
Craig

2014 Ram 1500 Laramie, 73 Cuda
Previous mopars: 62 Valiant, 65 Fury III, 68 Fury III, 72 Satellite, 74 Satellite, 89 Acclaim, 98 Caravan, 2003 Durango
Only previous Non-Mopar: Schwinn Tornado