NC
T
Tommy383 Offline OP
enthusiast
Tommy383  Offline OP
enthusiast
T

NC
So I read the posts about b-body headers in a big block duster, and decided to try it and ditch my hooker fender well headers. So far not so good. Any help is appreciated. Passenger side is in, and took only minimal dings.
Driver side is taking forever. Do I have to use a mini starter? Does the master cylinder have to come out ?
I've been working for 2 weeks in my down time and the header is only 1/2 way in.
I'm cheap and bought he summit brand, so not too worried about denting them etc.

Re: B-body headers in big block duster [Re: Tommy383] #1833429
05/24/15 08:25 PM
05/24/15 08:25 PM
West Plains, MO
DrCharles Offline
master
DrCharles  Offline
master

West Plains, MO
I assume you've seen the Tech Pages on BBD, and there has been some discussion (including by me) on FABO. I had a pair of the Hooker fenderwells back in the 80's and they were a big hit: they hit the tires, hit the ground, hit the body. down

The Hedman 78030 B-body headers fit but only with the following combo:
B block (383/400);
manual steering box;
mini-starter.

I had to make a small dimple to clear a mini-starter. Don't see any way that the giant original Mopar starter would clear. Word has it that the RobbMc starter works, but they cost more than a stock mini-starter.

I'm not sure if the stock Z-bar will clear or not; I made a hydraulic clutch assembly (using a pull cylinder behind the original fork) and it was one less thing to worry about.

Have you disconnected the mounts and jacked the engine up? You may have to remove the left side torsion bar too.

Keep working at it, the savings will be worth it.
wrench hammer

I've got some pics on my Dart page that may help:
http://s1181.photobucket.com/user/DrCharlesMorris/library/Dart?sort=3&page=2

Last edited by DrCharles; 05/24/15 08:33 PM. Reason: add picture link