N.E. Ohio
K
KillerBee Offline OP
master
KillerBee  Offline OP
master
K

N.E. Ohio
Going to talk to an engine builder this weekend about getting a 440 Six Pack engine built for the wife's 1971 Challenger.

The engine I plan on using is currently running/driving in another car but is smoking and blowing oil out the exhaust.
I'm planning on having the engine completely gone through.

I need to keep in mind this is for the wife to drive so the priority is a good running engine with excellent street manners.

This is also the 1st automatic transmission car I've tinkered with in quite awhile, I have a fresh rebuilt 727 but no torque converter yet.

These are the parts I have to work with:

Engine is a stock bore 1966 440 with original 516 heads.
Plan is to go through the shortblock doing whatever overbore is needed, going with forged pistons keeping compression around 9.5 to 10-1 to be able to run pump gas.
Checking crank, new ARP rod bolts, bearings etc.

The 516 heads were gone through 10 plus years ago with bigger exhaust valves installed.
If I use them again I'm sure they'll need gone through again.
I also have available a fresh set of stock Edelbrock aluminum heads which is what I'm strongly leaning towards using.

Current cam is the MP .528 solid which is fairly new and ran good but I'm not opposed to going with an even milder cam if needed.

Trans is a fresh 727.
I'll start with the 3.73 Sure Grip currently in the 8 3/4 rear but I also have a 3.23 equipped third member if needed.

Six Pack setup is stock.

Will be using 1 7/8" headers, full exhaust etc.

So I think my biggest question is staying with current .528 camshaft or looking for a better option for my setup and selecting a torque converter....any suggestions?

Again this is for a street driven car for the wife, I would be willing to give up a little performance for better drivability.

Thanks.

Re: Help build 440 Six Pack for the wife [Re: KillerBee] #1822346
05/09/15 12:23 AM
05/09/15 12:23 AM
IL, Aurora
A
ademon Offline
master
ademon  Offline
master
A

IL, Aurora
I would just go with a stock type build, the aluminum heads would be nice but the 516's will look stock and probably work just as well for your intended use. If your going to put miles on it she might be happier with the 3.23

Re: Help build 440 Six Pack for the wife [Re: KillerBee] #1822385
05/09/15 01:26 AM
05/09/15 01:26 AM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
I would look at a better cam, especially if your planning on running a power booster on the brakes twocents On the converter I would look at 11 or 10 inch custom built converter, I would also use a three inch exhaust all the way back to the rear bumper. The sixpak will probally need tuning also on the opening rate on the outboard carbs. vacume pods, sixpaks rock set up well up Put the Edlebrock aluminum heads on it and sell the old 516s work up The Edelbrock heads outflow most of the stock iron heads by 20+ CFM OOTB shock

Last edited by Cab_Burge; 05/09/15 01:30 AM.

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Help build 440 Six Pack for the wife [Re: Cab_Burge] #1822481
05/09/15 09:04 AM
05/09/15 09:04 AM
N.E. Ohio
K
KillerBee Offline OP
master
KillerBee  Offline OP
master
K

N.E. Ohio
Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
I would look at a better cam, especially if your planning on running a power booster on the brakes twocents On the converter I would look at 11 or 10 inch custom built converter, I would also use a three inch exhaust all the way back to the rear bumper. The sixpak will probally need tuning also on the opening rate on the outboard carbs. vacume pods, sixpaks rock set up well up Put the Edlebrock aluminum heads on it and sell the old 516s work up The Edelbrock heads outflow most of the stock iron heads by 20+ CFM OOTB shock

The engine does have low vacuum 7-8 hg, not sure if it's the cam or a tired engine or both.
Car will have manual disc brakes so vacuum for brakes isn't an issue.
I have tweaked the outboard carb vacuum pods with different diaphragms.
The Six Pack seems to work well on the engine right now but I'm going from a 4 speed car to an automatic so I'm sure I'll need to tweak some more.

I need to do some research on torque converters as I'm not real educated on them.
I would assume I need to figure out a cam, rear gear and power range to determine the best converter size.

Not sure on the exhaust size, was thinking 2 1/2", The wife wants her car to be quiet.
Her car has the factory rear sway bar which will be a tight fit for 2 1/2 tailpipes, probably impossible to fit 3" tailpipes.
Have a nice set of Hooker Comp 1 7/8" headers I was planning to use.
I was going to mock up the Hookers and seem what mods(clearancing) need to be made to get them to work with the Edelbrock heads.

It will be cheaper to get the Edelbrock heads ready than completely going through the 516 heads which I would probably sell.

Thanks

Last edited by KillerBee; 05/09/15 09:07 AM.