Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Originally Posted By MR_P_BODY
The ground never comes into play when talking pinion angle
wave
iagree so what is he talking about when he said it goes positive?

Re: Pinion angle again [Re: Quicktree] #1820439
05/06/15 06:55 PM
05/06/15 06:55 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Originally Posted By Quicktree
wave

He is referring to the relationship of the DS and the pinion
the teepee aspect
wave

Re: Pinion angle again [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1820443
05/06/15 07:01 PM
05/06/15 07:01 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

wave

the teepee aspect
wave
what angle was the drive shaft?

Re: Pinion angle again [Re: Quicktree] #1820466
05/06/15 07:28 PM
05/06/15 07:28 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
wave

the teepee aspect
wave
what angle was the drive shaft?

I dont recall the numbers.. go back and look
EDIT
if I recall it was 3* rear of the shaft up
wave

Last edited by MR_P_BODY; 05/06/15 07:30 PM.
Re: Pinion angle again [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1820487
05/06/15 07:58 PM
05/06/15 07:58 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

hmmmm i didn't see the shaft even mentioned?

Re: Pinion angle again [Re: DoctorDiff] #1820740
05/07/15 12:37 AM
05/07/15 12:37 AM
Canton, Ohio
S
Sport440 Offline
master
Sport440  Offline
master
S

Canton, Ohio
Originally Posted By DoctorDiff
No. I mentioned 3 degree negative pinion angle.

I did not mention any specific (2, 3, 5 degree) driveline angle.

BTW, your quote from Jerry Bickel is correct. You want the pinion to become parallel to the transmission (which is a "straight line" in some cars) when the vehicle is under power.

If you can't build a race car so the drivetrain becomes a STRAIGHT LINE under power, you build the car so the drivetrain becomes PARALLEL. This is true weather the rearend is above or below the transmission.

This is the simple answer here, as whether or not the rear end is above or below the front universal. I concur, as it is True info. No toenail hanging rack or slapping around needed, like for wolfy. That prior statement in my other post was just some humor, lighten up there louise, lol No one is supposed to get angry. Come on ,its just the old pinion angle argument. If you don't get that, theres some room left on the toe nail rack. Never said anything about hanging from private parts, that was, well you know.

Its my hopes, someday that all of us pinion angle arguers are all on the same page. Not 25 pages.

Re: Pinion angle again [Re: Monte_Smith] #1820799
05/07/15 01:37 AM
05/07/15 01:37 AM
Canton, Ohio
S
Sport440 Offline
master
Sport440  Offline
master
S

Canton, Ohio
Originally Posted By Monte_Smith
[quote=Quicktree][quote=Monte_Smith

Lets use your own logic against you. Would you agree, that most every factory car, has some downward angle in the rear of the motor, from the factory. Most would agree yes and be right. That factory car is set up for a certain size tire and to achieve "proper" driveline angle that you preach about......agreed?........Now, put a TALLER tire on the back, but give the car the SAME ride height. Factory geometry immediately wrecked because the pinion is HIGHER and any attempt to get "proper angle" results in positive pinion angle.........Think about that one a while.............LOL!!!

You need to think about that. When considering the pinion angle, you are not concerned about the ground. The car could be hanging from a toe rack, with the pinion straight above.

Trust me , you will get this. Thumps up. You have Nitrous nailed, but not pinion angle yet. Thumbs up again, since the icons aren't working for me.

Re: Pinion angle again [Re: Sport440] #1820839
05/07/15 03:12 AM
05/07/15 03:12 AM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
I never mentioned anything about the ground, because the ground doesn't matter. Put a taller tire on and keep the same ride height, means the pinion is higher in the car, because the car sits over the tire more........... And as far as a handle on pinion angle, my handle is plenty good, some others around here, I am not so sure.

And Quicktree, if you have to ask me what positive pinion angle is, why are you even IN this discussion.

And still.......NOT ONE GURU has answered the question. Which WAS, if the front joint is lower than rear joint, the trans points toward the ground(and since some are SO caught up in exact numbers, lets say 3* tail down), which means the shaft runs UPHILL to pinion, would you roll the pinion UP 3*, to maintain a parallel angles, even though that HAS to put the joint broken over the WRONG way(positive).......when we ALL KNOW, or at least SHOULD know, that on acceleration the pinion climbs MORE and will make that joint angle even MORE wrong............waiting on an answer

How about a picture. So according to some of you THIS would be considered CORRECT since the engine/trans and rear are on the same angle. Even though the rear joint angle is over center and going to get worse on accel.........OK, find me a chassis guy who would set a rear angle up like this on a race car, thinking that is good to go and I will be quiet. For further clarification, we will even say this is where it is under power. Now I was always taught, that you NEVER want the rear joint to go over center under power in a race car.........but apparently it seems all those people who say that are full of hooey......LOL!!!

Last edited by Monte_Smith; 05/07/15 03:29 AM.
Re: Pinion angle again [Re: RV2] #1820849
05/07/15 05:14 AM
05/07/15 05:14 AM
Newport, Mi
Evil Spirit Offline
master
Evil Spirit  Offline
master

Newport, Mi
Here's a couple video's that show the importance of having the trans and pinion centerlines parallel. Pretty simple concept, really. The only trick is to determine where the pinion angle needs to start at so the 2 angles are PARALLEL UNDER POWER. But this should put to rest any of the nonsense that has already been beat to death about the angles not needing to cancel each other out - but I doubt if it will. Enjoy the videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmV4qwLfOMY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4P75ZQvpws

Free advice and worth every penny...
Factory trained Slinky rewinder.........
Re: Pinion angle again [Re: Monte_Smith] #1820852
05/07/15 05:44 AM
05/07/15 05:44 AM
Newport, Mi
Evil Spirit Offline
master
Evil Spirit  Offline
master

Newport, Mi
[i]

How about a picture. So according to some of you THIS would be considered CORRECT since the engine/trans and rear are on the same angle. Even though the rear joint angle is over center and going to get worse on accel.........OK, find me a chassis guy who would set a rear angle up like this on a race car, thinking that is good to go and I will be quiet. For further clarification, we will even say this is where it is under power. Now I was always taught, that you NEVER want the rear joint to go over center under power in a race car.........but apparently it seems all those people who say that are full of hooey......LOL!!!

If in your picture the angles are in fact being measured under power, making the trans 3* down, and the pinion 3* up, this makes the tailshaft and pinion parallel - HOW IN THE H*** IS THE U-JOINT GOING OVER CENTER? It's the mirror image of the front, and would cancel out the angles. Since in most cases this would be a big tire - ladder bar/4 link situation with little movement from static to loaded, I would set the pinion at 0-1* up, figuring it would only gain 2* under power and end up at 3* UP to cancel out the 3* DOWN of the tailshaft. At that point the u-joint IS NOT "OVERCENTERED" - it hasn't went past the front u-joints mirrored angle.

Last edited by Evil Spirit; 05/07/15 05:56 AM.

Re: Pinion angle again [Re: RV2] #1820860
05/07/15 07:53 AM
05/07/15 07:53 AM
back in Georgia
dthemi Offline
master
dthemi  Offline
master

back in Georgia
Since all these threads always spin out of control, like a winter time valve lash discussion, why not just....?

Put the drive shaft in it, slap the angle finder on the shaft, and check it against the pinion. It's a door car that you're not going to change the driveline angles in, so knock that off the worry list. It needs pinion to bite.

Put three in it, hit it, and see. The object is to get to the track right? I've been as high as 10 degrees on a ladder bar before.

Re: Pinion angle again [Re: Monte_Smith] #1820871
05/07/15 08:29 AM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

I never mentioned anything about the ground, because the ground doesn't matter. Put a taller tire on and keep the same ride height, means the pinion is higher in the car, because the car sits over the tire more........... And as far as a handle on pinion angle, my handle is plenty good, some others around here, I am not so sure.

And Quicktree, if you have to ask me what positive pinion angle is, why are you even IN this discussion.

And still.......NOT ONE GURU has answered the question. Which WAS, if the front joint is lower than rear joint, the trans points toward the ground(and since some are SO caught up in exact numbers, lets say 3* tail down), which means the shaft runs UPHILL to pinion, would you roll the pinion UP 3*, to maintain a parallel angles, even though that HAS to put the joint broken over the WRONG way(positive).......when we ALL KNOW, or at least SHOULD know, that on acceleration the pinion climbs MORE and will make that joint angle even MORE wrong............waiting on an answer

Monte you know I am not asking you what positive pinion angle is. I was asking you what you were basing your statement off of. what is it in relation to. Positive to what??????

Re: Pinion angle again [Re: dthemi] #1820872
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Originally Posted By dthemi
Since all these threads always spin out of control, like a winter time valve lash discussion, why not just....?

Put the drive shaft in it, slap the angle finder on the shaft, and check it against the pinion. It's a door car that you're not going to change the driveline angles in, so knock that off the worry list. It needs pinion to bite.

Put three in it, hit it, and see. The object is to get to the track right? I've been as high as 10 degrees on a ladder bar before.
absolutely, thats the way we did it 40 years ago

Re: Pinion angle again [Re: Quicktree] #1820905
05/07/15 10:03 AM
05/07/15 10:03 AM
Tampa
D
DusterDave Offline
top fuel
DusterDave  Offline
top fuel
D

Tampa

Monte you know I am not asking you what positive pinion angle is. I was asking you what you were basing your statement off of. what is it in relation to. Positive to what??????

Positive with respect to the back end of the driveshaft. Monte has explained several times that the driveline (trans/engine angle) is not considered, only the relationship of the back end of the driveshaft to pinion. Under power, you want the pinion to be in perfect alignment (or as close as possible without ever going positive) with the back end of the driveshaft, so you'll want to set the pinion angle several degrees negative with respect to the back end of the driveshaft. Hopefully that is an accurate interpretation of what Monte is trying to drive into the skulls of the unwashed masses.....LOL

Gone to the dark side with an LS3 powered '57 Chevy 210
Re: Pinion angle again [Re: Evil Spirit] #1820916
05/07/15 10:22 AM
05/07/15 10:22 AM
Raleigh, NC
J
j.mcconnell Offline
mopar
j.mcconnell  Offline
mopar
J

Raleigh, NC
Originally Posted By Evil Spirit
[i]

If in your picture the angles are in fact being measured under power, making the trans 3* down, and the pinion 3* up, this makes the tailshaft and pinion parallel - HOW IN THE H*** IS THE U-JOINT GOING OVER CENTER? It's the mirror image of the front, and would cancel out the angles. Since in most cases this would be a big tire - ladder bar/4 link situation with little movement from static to loaded, I would set the pinion at 0-1* up, figuring it would only gain 2* under power and end up at 3* UP to cancel out the 3* DOWN of the tailshaft. At that point the u-joint IS NOT "OVERCENTERED" - it hasn't went past the front u-joints mirrored angle.

I believe Monte drew that at static conditions. At the hit on leaf springs, that will end up ~+6 over center. Just hammering home the point that mirroring the trans and pinion angles at static conditions do not work in every situation.

Re: Pinion angle again [Re: RV2] #1820920
05/07/15 10:27 AM
05/07/15 10:27 AM
J
Jerry Kathe Offline
enthusiast
Jerry Kathe  Offline
enthusiast
J

Pinion angle is only relative to the front joint angle and has nothing to do with drive shaft angle.....what is so difficult to understand about this?

If your measuring from drive shaft to pinion your doing it wrong.....period.

Additionally.....pinion angle has absolutely nothing to do with bite/hook......holy smokes!!!!

Re: Pinion angle again [Re: Jerry Kathe] #1820947
05/07/15 11:03 AM
05/07/15 11:03 AM
Newport, Mi
Evil Spirit Offline
master
Evil Spirit  Offline
master

Newport, Mi
Originally Posted By Jerry Kathe
Pinion angle is only relative to the front joint angle and has nothing to do with drive shaft angle.....what is so difficult to understand about this?

Additionally.....pinion angle has absolutely nothing to do with bite/hook......holy smokes!!!!

Ding, Ding, Ding - we have a W I N N E R !

The driveshaft doesn't even have to be in to check or set PINION angle.

And I'd like to punch the person that started the M Y T H that changing pinion angle changes traction right in the boy marbles.

Re: Pinion angle again [Re: Evil Spirit] #1820956
05/07/15 11:35 AM
05/07/15 11:35 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI

And I'd like to punch the person that started the M Y T H that changing pinion angle changes traction right in the boy marbles.

So I assume you make it parallel to the trans then rollin
the pinion angle..... sure am glad you didnt set the pinion
angle on my old Jeep.. with the 33" tires and set up your
way the U-joints would have been in bind just sitting there
wave

Re: Pinion angle again [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1820984
05/07/15 12:37 PM
05/07/15 12:37 PM
Newport, Mi
Evil Spirit Offline
master
Evil Spirit  Offline
master

Newport, Mi

So I assume you make it parallel to the trans then rollin
the pinion angle..... sure am glad you didnt set the pinion
angle on my old Jeep.. with the 33" tires and set up your
way the U-joints would have been in bind just sitting there
wave

I think we both know that lifted trucks - especially short wheelbase ones - have totally different issues and guidelines to follow. You generally try to minimize u-joint angles and any resulting vibrations are expected and are usually masked by the aggressive tire designs. Comparing the two applications is comparing apples to chicken wing seasonings. Why even go there?

Last edited by Evil Spirit; 05/07/15 12:49 PM.

Re: Pinion angle again [Re: Evil Spirit] #1820991
05/07/15 12:47 PM
05/07/15 12:47 PM
colorado
S
savoy64 Offline
top fuel
savoy64  Offline
top fuel
S

colorado

And I'd like to punch the person that started the M Y T H that changing pinion angle changes traction right in the boy marbles. [/quote]
it is the same person that said the pinion snubber does some other magical thing besides keeping your overloaded cars driveshaft from rubbing in the tunnel...redneck traction control----hahahaha

Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12