04/17/15 02:44 PM
North Carolina
cjskotni Offline OP
pro stock
cjskotni  Offline OP
pro stock

North Carolina
Guys,

I am desperately trying to get my car's issues cured so I can have just one summer where my car isn't stuck in the garage waiting for parts.

My issue I have dealing with right now is a leaky pinion seal. I have had it replaced twice and still leaks. I can wipe the rear clean and a few days later (while parked), I get a few drops of skunk oil on the floor.

I know it's the pinion leaking (not the carrier) and I know the unit isn't over full or something.

I had two local shops look at it and they don't want to touch it because they don't seem confident that they can fix it if it has been replaced twice already. My question is why is the is apparently so hard to fix??? Could these shops be that ignorant and keep doing it wrong?

Could I be dealing with a grooved up yoke or something here? I talked to a very well respected owner of another shop and he said that if it has been replaced twice there is probably something else wrong like a worn yoke. I am tired of paying for this job over and over...should I just buy a new yoke and eliminate that possibility? What yoke would a 10 spline 489 pinion use with the original driveshaft? Any suggestions on what I should buy or do??

Please help!

Re: New Yoke for 1973 Charger with 489 8.75" Diff? [Re: cjskotni] #1805838
04/17/15 08:40 PM
04/17/15 08:40 PM
D
dogdays Offline
I Live Here
dogdays  Offline
I Live Here
D

There should be a repair sleeve available for the yoke. Then, after installing the sleeve and the new seal, you smear a little sealer on the splines to keep oil from leaking out between the pinion and the yoke. What else can go wrong?

Of course, if the yoke can be moved up and down by hand, it will require more than that. Happened to me.........

R.