Michigan
N
NJK66 Offline OP
super street
NJK66  Offline OP
super street
N

Michigan
I am converting my car from drum to disc brakes.
My intention is to use a complete set up from a 1977 Fury. The spindles are a 1/2 in. taller than the stock units. I have 2 questions:

1) I was told that the taller spindle will put more caster in the steering. Is this true and can someone explain how this occurs?

2) I was going to go with a set of the Firm Feel tubular upper control arms (UCA) to gain the extra caster but a friend said to use the stock UCA with polyeurathane bushings with the taller spindles and the car will steer fine. I also intend to use a #3 Firm Feel Steering Box.

Comments Please

Re: Tall vs. Short Spindles [Re: NJK66] #17813
10/27/05 11:36 AM
10/27/05 11:36 AM
Atco NJ
DJVCuda Offline
I Live Here
DJVCuda  Offline
I Live Here

Atco NJ

Re: Tall vs. Short Spindles [Re: NJK66] #17814
10/27/05 12:01 PM
Vacaville/ El Dorado Hills ,Ca
440FISH Offline
super gas
440FISH  Offline
super gas

Vacaville/ El Dorado Hills ,Ca
I think the fury is a c-body, and c-body stuff will not work...

Re: Tall vs. Short Spindles [Re: 440FISH] #17815
Atco NJ
DJVCuda Offline
I Live Here
DJVCuda  Offline
I Live Here

Atco NJ

Re: Tall vs. Short Spindles [Re: 440FISH] #17816
10/27/05 12:17 PM
10/27/05 12:17 PM
64MAX Offline
64MAX  Offline

After about 1975, the Fury came 2 ways. The standard Fury was a B body while the Grand fury was a C body. I think that Moog makes a set of upper control arm bushings that can be used to give more caster if desired. They have the hole for the cam bolt off center. Good luck.

Re: Tall vs. Short Spindles [Re: NJK66] #17817
10/27/05 12:20 PM
10/27/05 12:20 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

1) the tall spindle gives a better camber curve (i.e. the amount of camber as the suspension moves thru its travel.

2)I don't know what your car is but if you're going for all out handling the Firm Feel arms are a must. You can use stock upper arms but whether using poly or Moog bushings you really can't dial in enough caster for high speed stability. The FFI arms allow caster to be dialed in.

1977 Gran Fury = C body 2 round headlights
1977 Fury = B body 4 rectangular headlghts

Tim
finally added FFI arms and they are great

Re: Tall vs. Short Spindles #17818
10/27/05 12:58 PM
10/27/05 12:58 PM
Scranton, PA
Montclaire Offline
master
Montclaire  Offline
master

Scranton, PA
Ugh, here we go again. I can't go through it all right now as I'm at work, I'll post my rebuttal later. Bottom line is if you are going to use the taller spindles, you need to use the tubular uppar arms to change the angle of the upper ball joint. The taller spindles when used with the stock arms on non-iso cars will produce a higher roll center and changes in both camber and bump steer throughout the travel.

Re: Tall vs. Short Spindles [Re: NJK66] #17819
10/27/05 01:25 PM
10/27/05 01:25 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
tall knuckles + firm feel upper control arms + 13 inch rotors seems to be a good combo. Autoxr and myself should be gathering more data on the combo once the rains go away and we can get back out to PIR for some more road race sessions. maybe I'll even get my own car out there for some thrashing!

Re: Tall vs. Short Spindles [Re: Montclaire] #17820
10/27/05 04:11 PM
10/27/05 04:11 PM
Frederick, MD
71charger Offline
top fuel
71charger  Offline
top fuel

Frederick, MD
"I'll post my rebuttal later." Jeez, and I thought you had once said you wouldn't comment on this issue again. For the record, Montclaire has always seemed dead set against the taller spindles. My taller spindles have been on since 1992. Zero problems of any kind. Getting it aligned was no problem and I don't understand the concern about hose routing as the hose hooks to the factory hard point and runs nicely to the caliper with no binding and no rubbing. I finally had to change a hose this year because it got soft but showed absolutely no sign of having chafed. This is a wheel that's gets reinvented on a regular basis.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...part=1&vc=1

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rue#Post2070924

http://www.dodgecharger.com/index.php/topic,1882.0.html

http://www.dodgecharger.com/index.php/topic,1343.0.html

Re: Tall vs. Short Spindles [Re: 71charger] #17821
10/27/05 05:22 PM
10/27/05 05:22 PM
Scranton, PA
Montclaire Offline
master
Montclaire  Offline
master

Scranton, PA
Quote:

"I'll post my rebuttal later." Jeez, and I thought you had once said you wouldn't comment on this issue again.

Eh, I got a second wind. I have no problems with the taller spindles provided:

A)The person is completely informed of the difference and is cautioned as to the possible outcome of using the taller pieces before making a decision.
OR
B)The person uses the tubular upper control arms to correct the problem.

Here's the way I look at it. Why take the chance? Maybe 1 out of 1500 have problems with the taller spindles. But you know what, the way my luck is, I'd probably be that 1. This is the safety of you, the safety of your passengers, and the safety of me, John Q. Motorist, who's in the on-coming lane. They now make upper arms to match the taller spindles, so it's a no-brainer. Mopar Action has always advised against using the taller pieces. Mopar Muscle, on the other hand, can't make up their mind. Some articles promote them, some articles say to avoid them. The MM loyal here will even be so ridiculous as to state that 'those articles against taller spindles are just reprints or from outside sources.' Glad to know that MM takes my safety so seriously. This has been a HOT topic for a long, long time and there has been some personal/professional debate between eberg and dulcich, so you would think that MM would at least take the time to read their own dang articles to have some degree of consistency. Anybody can take material from outside sources and reprint it verbatim without checking it. It ain't too responsible to do so, though.

The tubular arms have a slight angle to the upper ball joints to keep them from being over-stressed by the taller knuckles on pre-73 cars.
Here is why you need them:

For basic info about the swap, go to http://moparaction.com/Tech/archive/disc-main.html

Recent opinion posted here by Eberg of Mopar Action fame:
Quote:

On the steering knuckle "great debate":

(Here we go again!) Yes, the taller knuckles may give some small camber-gain improvement. But, IMHO, the tripling of bump steer (full travel) makes the swap a no-brainer: in a word, don't.

I've been doing lots of research into the original suspension design parameters of these cars. Incredibly complex, these guys (Highland Park engineers) actually had four seperate computer programs to analyze the angles and geometry. It seriously maxed out the (computer) hardware of the day - this was ~1960 were talkin'!

I've had at-length discussions with 4 of these guys (unfortunately 2 are now lookin' at the wrong side of the grass) and ALL thought the tall knuckle was a real bad idea.

The left-to-right flip (re: swaybar clearance) is another scary deal. If you take GREAT care to assure that the brake hose is properly routed and has enough length and friction protection for full lock / full-travel safety, then, sure. But I've seen too many - VERY many - cars where the hose acts as the rebound bumper! Please be careful! Rager proably had a point when he didn't wanna open this can of worms. The stuff I've done has always had either 100% factory engineering or contained caveats up the yazoo!

Guys will probably mention the MM article concerning this, here are my thoughts:
Here are the numbers from the MM compairison article. To start off, the front clip used was set not at stock height and rake, but 1 inch lower than stock height and at a rake of 1.5 inches. The reasoning was that 'most cars of today have a slightly raised rear' and the lower height was 'also quite common.' Ok, fine, you want to do a test that reflects common changes to mopar suspension, but to do this without the addition of a base test at stock height does nothing but leave doubts and conjecture. In my opinion, this test was fatally flawed by not doing a 'base test.'

But anyway, you can see the numbers below. The Toe change was excessive during extension, and this was dismissed by saying 'How often is your suspension fully extended on Main Street?' Sure, laugh and chuckle about the mental image of your roadrunner running through town a'la Bullitt, but what if it is? That's like saying you really don't need car insurance cause you don't plan on having accidents. It's a small point, but a point that carries throughout the test and the article. This was distrubing to me, especially since a 'full engineering study' was not conducted where some of these problems may become more pronounced.

The big red flag was the change in roll center. I'm sure you've seen the 'imaginary line' drawings that diminish into the pavement to illustrate this in the past, and you've probably understood it better as 'low center of gravity.' The greater the number, the less stable the car will be. If you look at the numbers below, you can see that the recommended A-body spindle had a range of 5.366 to 6.849, and the b-body piece 6.678 to 8.677. Woah, did I read that right? Yes, you did. The maximum on the 'recommended' spindle is dang near the minimum of the later B piece.

Another point of argument on these was that the ball joints would be over-angled and could fail. Supposedly a test was done by dulcich on various ball joints, and it was found that while newer joints are within thier intended range, factory or NOS pieces were not and risked failure.

Brought up by Ebooger was the fact that the A/E spindle was used by chrysler up to 76, well past the intro of the B piece in 73. If these spindles were ok to interchange, why not install them on everything and lower production costs and assembly line confusion?

To further this mystery along, MM continues to not be able to make up their mind, as I mentioned earlier. One article says they're safe, another says they aren't, and yet another recommends the use of the corrective tubular arms when used with the taller examples.If they're so great, why expensive new upper arms?

Bottom line here is that the late spindles probably can be (and have been) installed without a major catastrophe, but they are not a 'bolt-on replacement part.' The use of them will effect how your car handles, and everyone should read what's available on them before deciding one way or another. For me, the solution is simple. Either use the correct spindles, or buy the corrective upper arms.

Last but not least,

Re: Tall vs. Short Spindles [Re: 440FISH] #17822
10/27/05 05:42 PM
Long Island, NY USA
B
BergmanAutoCraft Offline
master
BergmanAutoCraft  Offline
master
B

Long Island, NY USA
And the debate shall continue, as Ijust ordered fatman drop spindles for the Dart. I have tubular upper arms, WITH offset bushings. I would like to lower the front even more, but increase the clearance to the lower bumpstops in the process. I am also looking for a nice stiffness increase in my 1.04 tbars as a bonus. Film at 11...SHould be about 2 weeks before I have this ironed out.

Re: Tall vs. Short Spindles [Re: Montclaire] #17823
Val-haul-ass... eventually
B
BradH Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
BradH  Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
B

Val-haul-ass... eventually
Everyone seems to have different opinions about this subject. What I'd like to know is: what qualifications does everyone posting here have, so that way we can know the education or experience everyone has when it comes to auto repairs/racing/engineering, etc.?

Re: Tall vs. Short Spindles [Re: BradH] #17824
10/27/05 06:37 PM
10/27/05 06:37 PM
Long Island, NY USA
B
BergmanAutoCraft Offline
master
master
B

Long Island, NY USA
My qualifications -

21 Years tweaking the same car.
200,000+ miles test driving this car.
Owned a repair shop for years.
Other than that, 0!

Re: Tall vs. Short Spindles [Re: BergmanAutoCraft] #17825
10/27/05 09:10 PM
10/27/05 09:10 PM
Atco NJ
DJVCuda Offline
I Live Here
DJVCuda  Offline
I Live Here

Atco NJ
Hey Gmachine - be sure and post pix up when you get those spindles!

Re: Tall vs. Short Spindles [Re: DJVCuda] #17826
10/27/05 10:12 PM
10/27/05 10:12 PM
Long Island, NY USA
B
BergmanAutoCraft Offline
master
master
B

Long Island, NY USA
Will do, should be fun.

Re: Tall vs. Short Spindles [Re: BergmanAutoCraft] #17827
10/27/05 10:27 PM
10/27/05 10:27 PM
Grand Haven, MI
patrick Offline
I Live Here
patrick  Offline
I Live Here

Grand Haven, MI
luckily, I'm modding an M body, so the debate doesn't affect me directly, but I'm interested in the drop spindles, as I'd like to up the preload on my car without raising the front end...

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)
Re: Tall vs. Short Spindles [Re: patrick] #17828
10/28/05 12:20 AM
10/28/05 12:20 AM
KS
68SportSatvert Offline
top fuel
68SportSatvert  Offline
top fuel

KS
We're just hanging out watching the show!

Re: Tall vs. Short Spindles [Re: 68SportSatvert] #17829
10/28/05 01:11 AM
10/28/05 01:11 AM
Scranton, PA
Montclaire Offline
master
Montclaire  Offline
master

Scranton, PA
I have no official training in the subject, just what I've read over the years, and I've never made it out to seem any different. I just feel that to throw these taller spindles out there as a bolt-on is incorrect in the least, and downright dangerous at the most. People have a right to hear both sides of the argument. As far as those I've quoted, Eberg is a S.A.E., and if you want to boast real-world experience, one has to look no farther than his exploits of the 'green brick.' Since I don't have the capability to do a 'full engineering study' on the taller spindles, I have to go by what information is out there. And I have yet to see enough to convince me that the swap is a safe bet bar-none.

Re: Tall vs. Short Spindles [Re: Montclaire] #17830
10/28/05 08:21 AM
10/28/05 08:21 AM
Grand Haven, MI
patrick Offline
I Live Here
patrick  Offline
I Live Here

Grand Haven, MI
Quote:

I have no official training in the subject, just what I've read over the years, and I've never made it out to seem any different. I just feel that to throw these taller spindles out there as a bolt-on is incorrect in the least, and downright dangerous at the most. People have a right to hear both sides of the argument. As far as those I've quoted, Eberg is a S.A.E., and if you want to boast real-world experience, one has to look no farther than his exploits of the 'green brick.' Since I don't have the capability to do a 'full engineering study' on the taller spindles, I have to go by what information is out there. And I have yet to see enough to convince me that the swap is a safe bet bar-none.

welp, no disrespect to you or Ebooger, but SAE is the Society of Automotive Engineers. anyone can add those initials after their name if they pay the annual membership dues if they want.

a fair number of the guys who have written/gave their blessing of the taller spindles are racers and suspension experts (such as Bill Rielly), in fact, IIRC, a lot of circle track guys use the taller spindles with no adverse problems, and do so because it gives some advantages, and it's not a huge difference. it's 3/8". if you look at the way you can adjust the UCA's on these cars, you can easily get that much vertical adjustment out of them anyway.

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)
Re: Tall vs. Short Spindles [Re: patrick] #17831
10/28/05 09:38 AM
10/28/05 09:38 AM
Michigan
N
NJK66 Offline OP
super street
NJK66  Offline OP
super street
N

Michigan
My car is 1966 Coronet street cruiser that will make an occasional pass down the drag strip. At best it will be a high 14 second car. Vehicle will maintain stock front end ride height. Slightly raised in the rear.
My question is; if I were to use a stock upper control arm, with the taller spindles, what are the potential safety issues? I guess I am not quite understanding what the 3/8 in. of height in the spindle does to the front end geometry to a point it becomes dangerous and under what driving conditions will it become risky? If someone can explain the cause/effect of the mechanical side of things, I can make an sound decision for my application. Spending the $350 isn't a big deal for the FFI tube control arms if this prevents me from hurting myself or someone else. On the other hand, I don't want to spend $350 for UPA's where the stockers will be OK for my application.
Thanks for all of the replies, lots of good info.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7