Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Online work OP
I Win
Cab_Burge  Online Work OP
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
I tried to put a set of Harland Sharp aluluminum roller rockers on my car this week,Edlbrock M.W. Victor heads, the Indy cast and Cal Custom cast aluminum valve covers won't fit over them Both fit easily over the Hughes aluminum rockers on these heads, not the with H/S rockers though
Thanks in advance See my last post at the bottom for the update

Last edited by Cab_Burge; 03/18/15 01:07 AM.

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Eddy BB Victor M.W. heads W/ Harland Sharp rockers? [Re: Cab_Burge] #1780169
03/16/15 03:24 AM
03/16/15 03:24 AM
Central California
MoParFish Offline
mopar
MoParFish  Offline
mopar

Central California
Yes Sir, the Victors do have a few hurdles to jump and you kinda find them as you go. I ended up running sheet metal aluminum covers and profiling the flanges so I can slide them straight down over the studs without hitting the sharp rockers

8461615-hs2.jpg (226 downloads)

Sworn Member Central Valley MoPar Drag Pack. You can reach me at (done-et-chasing@going-rounds.gone)... :-)

[img]https://s6.postimg.org/v3mbggksx/SAC16.jpg[/img]image hosting more than 5mb
Re: Eddy BB Victor M.W. heads W/ Harland Sharp rockers? [Re: MoParFish] #1780170
03/16/15 03:26 AM
03/16/15 03:26 AM
Central California
MoParFish Offline
mopar
MoParFish  Offline
mopar

Central California
The pushrod side of the rockers are real close to the valve cover rail.

8461616-hs4.jpg (225 downloads)

Sworn Member Central Valley MoPar Drag Pack. You can reach me at (done-et-chasing@going-rounds.gone)... :-)

[img]https://s6.postimg.org/v3mbggksx/SAC16.jpg[/img]image hosting more than 5mb
Re: Eddy BB Victor M.W. heads W/ Harland Sharp rockers? [Re: MoParFish] #1780171
03/16/15 03:29 AM
03/16/15 03:29 AM
Central California
MoParFish Offline
mopar
MoParFish  Offline
mopar

Central California
The Harland Sharp rockers seem to be longer than others.

8461619-rs1.jpg (363 downloads)

Re: Eddy BB Victor M.W. heads W/ Harland Sharp rockers? [Re: MoParFish] #1780172
03/16/15 03:39 AM
03/16/15 03:39 AM
Central California
MoParFish Offline
mopar
MoParFish  Offline
mopar

Central California
Because of the extra rocker arm length, the roller sweeps from center to outside of valve stem at full lift .674 valve lift with 1.6s. I run lash caps, just wanted more contact. Would have posted sooner but was down in Bakersfield today beating on it a little getting ready for Mopars at the strip.

8461623-valve.JPG (211 downloads)

Re: Eddy BB Victor M.W. heads W/ Harland Sharp rockers? [Re: MoParFish] #1780173
03/16/15 03:42 AM
03/16/15 03:42 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Thats the same thing I put up with on my W heads but
with a bit of grinding on the lip of the reverse lip
covers its easily over come... but you put the studs
in after the cover is down

Re: Eddy BB Victor M.W. heads W/ Harland Sharp rockers? [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1780174
03/16/15 03:55 AM
03/16/15 03:55 AM
Central California
MoParFish Offline
mopar
MoParFish  Offline
mopar

Central California
Quote:

Quote:

Thats the same thing I put up with on my W heads but
with a bit of grinding on the lip of the reverse lip
covers its easily over come... but you put the studs
in after the cover is down

Howdy Mr P., your up late, isn't it almost 2am in your end of the country? Yeah, I love the "bolt on" stuff that rarely just bolts on

Re: Eddy BB Victor M.W. heads W/ Harland Sharp rockers? [Re: MoParFish] #1780175
03/16/15 09:42 AM
03/16/15 09:42 AM
S.E. South Dakota !
bigdad Offline
Still Posting A Lot
bigdad  Offline
Still Posting A Lot

S.E. South Dakota !
Remember , I just posted about this a week ago or so ..

I had to get these to clear

8461683-470.JPG (275 downloads)
Re: Eddy BB Victor M.W. heads W/ Harland Sharp rockers? [Re: MoParFish] #1780176
03/17/15 02:34 PM
03/17/15 02:34 PM
USA
B
B3RE Offline
mopar
B3RE  Offline
mopar
B

USA
Quote:

Yes, and the nose of the rocker is way to high. The shaft needs to go up.

Cab, this is why I have a problem with HS. Rockers. They are way too long.

Mike Beachel

I didn't write the rules of math nor create the laws of physics, I am just bound by them.
Update on Victor M.W. heads W/ Harland Sharp rockers? [Re: B3RE] #1780177
03/18/15 12:59 AM
03/18/15 12:59 AM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Online work OP
I Win
Cab_Burge  Online Work OP
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Quote:

Quote:

I have used three different sets of Harland Sharp rockers in the last twenty years of racing,this was 3 or 4 on different sets of heads with no isssues to now 1st set(1.50 ratio) was used on stock 906 heads and reused again on a set of M.W. iron heads with no issues with Cal Custom cast aluminum covers The second set was a set of 1.60 ratio used on a set of Eddy RPM and reused again on a set of Indy SR M.W. port heads with no issues with any valve cover I used on that motor The last set before this current set (1.60 ratio) was used on a set of Indy 440-1 aluminum heads with thier offset rockers, no problems using the Mopar brand of Cast alumimum valve covers, three different sets in fact, natural, polished and finally wrinlkle black, the new owner of that motor couldn't decide which ones he wanted until he saw all three sets on that motor
I buy a set of Eddy Vitor M.W. heads with a set of 1.6 Hughes rockers and use the old reliable Cal Custom cast aluminum valve covers with no issues, I broke three different adjusters on them and then switch to a set of Harland Sharp rockers and have a issue with these heads only, why do I think it is the head design and not the Harland Sharp rockers that are the issue
I did order a set of Mancini Racing valve covers today, #MRE 6247 sheet aluminum fabricated valve covers that look a lot like the ones in Big Dads picture I did find out that Hughes and Mancini both sell the PRW brand of fabricated aluminum sheet valve covers that look identicle to the MRE 6247 I'll let you guys know if and how they fit on my motor with the H.S. rockers, hopefully without having to mod them in any way

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Update on Victor M.W. heads W/ Harland Sharp rockers? [Re: Cab_Burge] #1780178
03/18/15 01:15 AM
03/18/15 01:15 AM
Central California
MoParFish Offline
mopar
MoParFish  Offline
mopar

Central California
The valve covers I modified and running now are procomps. Maybe the ones from Mancini will offer better clearance

Re: Update on Victor M.W. heads W/ Harland Sharp rockers? [Re: Cab_Burge] #1780179
03/18/15 01:23 AM
03/18/15 01:23 AM
USA
B
B3RE Offline
mopar
B3RE  Offline
mopar
B

USA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I have used three different sets of Harland Sharp rockers in the last twenty years of racing,this was 3 or 4 on different sets of heads with no isssues to now 1st set(1.50 ratio) was used on stock 906 heads and reused again on a set of M.W. iron heads with no issues with Cal Custom cast aluminum covers The second set was a set of 1.60 ratio used on a set of Eddy RPM and reused again on a set of Indy SR M.W. port heads with no issues with any valve cover I used on that motor The last set before this current set (1.60 ratio) was used on a set of Indy 440-1 aluminum heads with thier offset rockers, no problems using the Mopar brand of Cast alumimum valve covers, three different sets in fact, natural, polished and finally wrinlkle black, the new owner of that motor couldn't decide which ones he wanted until he saw all three sets on that motor
I buy a set of Eddy Vitor M.W. heads with a set of 1.6 Hughes rockers and use the old reliable Cal Custom cast aluminum valve covers with no issues, I broke three different adjusters on them and then switch to a set of Harland Sharp rockers and have a issue with these heads only, why do I think it is the head design and not the Harland Sharp rockers that are the issue
I did order a set of Mancini Racing valve covers today, #MRE 6247 sheet aluminum fabricated valve covers that look a lot like the ones in Big Dads picture I did find out that Hughes and Mancini both sell the PRW brand of fabricated aluminum sheet valve covers that look identicle to the MRE 6247 I'll let you guys know if and how they fit on my motor with the H.S. rockers, hopefully without having to mod them in any way

Cab, I'm not saying the heads aren't a little tighter. What I am saying, is that the Harlands are too long, and that causes problems you wouldn't otherwise have, especially when you have to raise and offset the shaft to get the geometry right. And when the roller sweeps across the valve to the exhaust side at full lift, there is a definite problem that lash caps won't fix. I honestly think the only reason you broke adjusters with the Hughes rockers is because of the beating the valvetrain was taking from the shafts being too low. And before anyone says "That's why you run Harlands", the only reason they don't break as often, is because they are really heavy. Weight is the last thing you want to add to the valvetrain. There is this thing called inertia that says "An object in motion tends to stay in motion" and I'll just add that it is in the same direction as the current motion. Considering that a rocker has to change direction every cycle, as does everything else in the valvetrain, it makes sense to keep it as light as possible without sacrificing strength. A Jesel rocker is svelte compared to a HS, and they can take a whole lot more motor than a Harland can dream about.

Mike Beachel

I didn't write the rules of math nor create the laws of physics, I am just bound by them.