03/11/15 01:12 PM
03/11/15 01:12 PM
NW Chicago suburban area
Mopar Mitch Offline OP
pro stock
Mopar Mitch  Offline OP
pro stock

NW Chicago suburban area
Interested in getting started in racing? Hi-Performance Driving Experience (HPDE lapping sessions)? Hi-Speed Autocross (HSAX)? Wheel-to-wheel race competition? Corner working (for the best seat at the track)? Or how about just improving your skills? Then this is a great opportunity for you. Learn the "basics" plus some "advanced tips" from experienced staff. Car preparation tips, what to expect for a day at the races, etc.

The Midwest Council of Sports Car Clubs, with my own member club North Suburban Sports Car Club, is hosting its annual FREE ONE DAY SCHOOL this year at BLACKHAWK FARMS RACEWAY, just ~90 miles west of Chicago, just west of Rockford, Illinois. The day will be indoor classroom, then, pending allowable weather in the later part of the afternoon, track time on the 2-mile road race track will be held ($20 fee for track time). Bring any car you want -- race car not required for the day.

See the links for more info. You must pre-register on www.myautoevents.com no later than March 18, 2015. No obligation if you can't make it after pre-registering. BHF is a great race facility -- clean bathroooms, lunch/rest't, etc.

See also: www.nsscc.org (for flyer) www.mcscc.org (for club season schedule, etc).

Mopower to ya! Hope to see some of you! (PM to me if you want more info or want to meet up with me at the event.)

8456412-DSC08405.jpg (42 downloads)
Last edited by Mopar Mitch; 03/11/15 02:22 PM.

Mopar Mitch "Road racers and autocrossers go in deeper and come out harder!"... and rain never stops us from having fun with our cars... in fact, it makes us better drivers! Check out MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, August 2006 issue for feature article and specs on my autocross T/A!
Re: Free School -- Sat., March 21, 2015 at Blackhawk Farms [Re: Mopar Mitch] #1776983
03/20/15 02:05 PM
03/20/15 02:05 PM
NW Chicago suburban area
Mopar Mitch Offline OP
pro stock
Mopar Mitch  Offline OP
pro stock

NW Chicago suburban area
As of last night (Thursday eveng club meeting), there are approx. 80 entries pre-registered. Most entries typically favor the HPDE/HSAX sessions. Gates open at 8:00 AM, classroom sessions begin at 9:00 AM. Last-minute attendees are welcome at the gate regardless if they've pre-reg'd or not... the club is easy to deal with! Weather is lookin great for the day (50s and sunny), so, track time is definitely on for the later part of the afternoon!

Mopar Mitch "Road racers and autocrossers go in deeper and come out harder!"... and rain never stops us from having fun with our cars... in fact, it makes us better drivers! Check out MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, August 2006 issue for feature article and specs on my autocross T/A!
Re: Free School -- Sat., March 21, 2015 at Blackhawk Farms [Re: Mopar Mitch] #1776984
03/20/15 02:33 PM
03/20/15 02:33 PM
Warren, MI
J
Jerry Offline
master
Jerry  Offline
master
J

Warren, MI
wish I didn't have plans for tomorrow and was closer.

Superior Design Concepts
2574 Elliott Dr
Troy MI 48083
jerry@sdconcepts.com
www.sdconcepts.com
Facebook page: Superior Design Concepts
www.bcrproducts.com
Re: Free School -- Sat., March 21, 2015 at Blackhawk Farms [Re: Jerry] #1776985
03/22/15 10:30 AM
03/22/15 10:30 AM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
I saw Mitch's note on this Friday, decided the car was ready and went on up. First start for the car since last November. It was a great group of folks... we spent several hours going over basics of the club, car classes rules and other stuff. Then hit the track. Mitch and I took turns driving... the first few laps were pretty slow. When our guide figured we had it under control, the pace picked up. Loads of fun!

The Challenger did pretty well on its first meaningful track outing. Fairly flat and nearly neutral. On Mitch's advice will air up the tires with extra in the front to give it a touch of understeer for next go around... and plan on lots of corner practice. I was running 35 psi square for the practice runs.

The other nice thing... people love the old iron! Looking at it, seeing it go around the track in decent form not to mention the bellow of the 496.

I am sure Mitch will post some pics.

Re: Free School -- Sat., March 21, 2015 at Blackhawk Farms [Re: ahy] #1776986
03/25/15 01:59 PM
03/25/15 01:59 PM
NW Chicago suburban area
Mopar Mitch Offline OP
pro stock
Mopar Mitch  Offline OP
pro stock

NW Chicago suburban area
We lucked out with beautiful sunny weather, temps ~50F.

When Andrew drove up to the track and parked his Plum Crazy Challenger, all eyes were on it!

We had a great session with about 75 students -- most were HPDE/HSAX interested, a few went to the afternoon classes on W2W and track-day support (corner working, safety, timing/scoring, etc.).

We had a full 1-hour of track time split up with three 8-lap sessions.

The lead pace cars held the speeds to ~50mph, then progressed up to ~60mph. I have to say, this was the first time I'd ever driven a car with a BB stroker (~496 cid?) and its awesome! Easy to kick the rear end out if desired.

Andrew's car was the MOST popular car in the pit area!!! A guy with a newer ~2005 (gen 3 or 4?) blue Viper GTS came over and was amazed by the Challenger's beauty and set-up... hands-down... Andrew's Challenger was more popular than the Viper! And, all the GM/Ford and import drivers were in envy!

I'll get some pics posted...

Driving his Challenger was impressive and we both plan to be on track together later this season.... June 6-7 for a club points HPDE/HSAX and W2W event at BHF (then again on Aug 1-2 also at BHF).

Check out www.mcscc.org for season full schedule.

Typical Chicago-area weather... on Monday we had 3-6" of snow fall upon us!

Last edited by Mopar Mitch; 03/25/15 02:04 PM.