Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

if thats what you want for a front suspension.. have you looked at alterktion?

at www.bigblockdart.com

I have not looked into the front suspension just yet. I am trying to finish up the back half, then the tranny and motor, get the car running, and THEN worry about the front suspension. I will do my reserch at that point, and ask you guys for some help. I do not want to get ahead of myself just yet . I have the Dana 60 finished up, the rear suspension done, now working on the tranny and motor. Once we finish up there, I can go drive the car (I already have all new front end stuff tie rods, torsion bars, strut rods, shocks, boxed control arms, etc...) Once I can enjoy the car, THEN I will upgrade to the stuff mentioned above.

front suspension might be smart to do first-- if you go the coil over route (like the alterKtion route) that frees up a lot of space for tranny xmember and exhaust when you don't have to worry about t-bars.

one more thing to reiterate, if you're putting large amounts of power through the lockup clutch, you're just dumb....set the tranny up to unlock the clutch at a certain vaccuum level, throttle position, or manually shut it off when you're playing....APS's converters, IIRC have HD kevlar lockup clutches in them, as well...

a 4L80E is a tough trans, and it's going to be expensive...most places to get one "built" for HP use is going to be ~$3-4k with a converter, then you have to buy a controller to actually run it, and most run ~$500 on up...they made some changes in '98/99 that improve the cooling, so look for a trans of this vintage or newer

if you're getting into stupid power levels (1000+HP) I'd say screw it and get a lenco, liberty, or jericho box...

I have thought about doing the front suspension first because of the reasons you have mentioned. But the want for me to get the car on the road outweighs any more work i have to do already. I will gladly enjoy the car for many street miles before I tear it back apart and do the front suspension. I know it is taking a few steps back, but so be it. Mind you, I am not taking shortcuts, just skipping a step that I can redo later with no harm done.

Lenco, Jericho....sorry..need overdrive

Re: A500 A 518 A618 [Re: patrick] #17764
10/14/05 06:05 PM
10/14/05 06:05 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

at www.bigblockdart.com

I have not looked into the front suspension just yet. I am trying to finish up the back half, then the tranny and motor, get the car running, and THEN worry about the front suspension. I will do my reserch at that point, and ask you guys for some help. I do not want to get ahead of myself just yet . I have the Dana 60 finished up, the rear suspension done, now working on the tranny and motor. Once we finish up there, I can go drive the car (I already have all new front end stuff tie rods, torsion bars, strut rods, shocks, boxed control arms, etc...) Once I can enjoy the car, THEN I will upgrade to the stuff mentioned above.

front suspension might be smart to do first-- if you go the coil over route (like the alterKtion route) that frees up a lot of space for tranny xmember and exhaust when you don't have to worry about t-bars.

one more thing to reiterate, if you're putting large amounts of power through the lockup clutch, you're just dumb....set the tranny up to unlock the clutch at a certain vaccuum level, throttle position, or manually shut it off when you're playing....APS's converters, IIRC have HD kevlar lockup clutches in them, as well...

a 4L80E is a tough trans, and it's going to be expensive...most places to get one "built" for HP use is going to be ~$3-4k with a converter, then you have to buy a controller to actually run it, and most run ~$500 on up...they made some changes in '98/99 that improve the cooling, so look for a trans of this vintage or newer

if you're getting into stupid power levels (1000+HP) I'd say screw it and get a lenco, liberty, or jericho box...

I have found a 97 4L80 unit, how big of a difference between the 97 and 98/99? Thanks

Re: A500 A 518 A618 #17765
10/14/05 06:07 PM
10/14/05 06:07 PM
Piscataway, NJ
moparkid1966 Offline
super gas
moparkid1966  Offline
super gas

Piscataway, NJ
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

at www.bigblockdart.com

I have found a 97 4L80 unit, how big of a difference between the 97 and 98/99? Thanks

I think it was a change in the cooling on the trans, with aftermarket goodies and an aftermarket cooler i don't think theres any real difference. Anyone know the exact change??

Re: A500 A 518 A618 [Re: moparkid1966] #17766
10/14/05 06:53 PM
10/14/05 06:53 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

The change for 1997 was for lube to the rear planetary gearset. You will notice that the return cooler line fitting is towards the back of the case (not unlike a torqueflite) rather than next to the to-cooler fitting behind the bellhousing, like the earlier 4L80E and most other RWD GM transmissions. There are a bunch of internal changes, but the only external one is that cooler line fitting, which routes cool lube oil directly to the rear planetary set.

I wanted to recommend Lentech, but couldn't remember the name.

You can go without overdrive if you use a taller rear gear (like a 2.76) and a lower first gear (like 3+) to get you rolling. That's what you can do with a Lenco. The main advantage to having a lower first gear, direct drive for your top gear, and taller rear gear, is to keep driveshaft speeds down, and gear lube temps in the rear down. However, it's a moot point since you already have your rear done.

440shorty

Re: A500 A 518 A618 #17767
10/14/05 09:24 PM
10/14/05 09:24 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Well, have started the pricing game. transmissioncenter wants like $4500 for their 4L80 (have to check email to verify) TCI has their prices listed on their website. They do not however tell you how much power their tranny will take. Their 4L80 goes for $3303.08, plus you have to buy the controller which goes for $874.26. They also have the A518 92-95 models for $2590.75. No one else that I have called or emailed has returned my call, or responded to my email as of yet. I am still waiting to hear from SMR, Lentech, apsprecision.com, sd-concepts.com. So I will give updayes when I hear from these guys....

Re: A500 A 518 A618 #17768
10/14/05 09:36 PM
10/14/05 09:36 PM
Piscataway, NJ
moparkid1966 Offline
super gas
moparkid1966  Offline
super gas

Piscataway, NJ
Quote:

Well, have started the pricing game. transmissioncenter wants like $4500 for their 4L80 (have to check email to verify) TCI has their prices listed on their website. They do not however tell you how much power their tranny will take. Their 4L80 goes for $3303.08, plus you have to buy the controller which goes for $874.26. They also have the A518 92-95 models for $2590.75. No one else that I have called or emailed has returned my call, or responded to my email as of yet. I am still waiting to hear from SMR, Lentech, apsprecision.com, sd-concepts.com. So I will give updayes when I hear from these guys....

ALL 4L80'S will require a controller of some sort. Make sure thats included in the $4500 unit's cost. The nice thing about the 4l80 is you can tune all of your shifts with the controller.

Re: A500 A 518 A618 [Re: moparkid1966] #17769
10/14/05 09:44 PM
10/14/05 09:44 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

ALL 4L80'S will require a controller of some sort. Make sure thats included in the $4500 unit's cost. The nice thing about the 4l80 is you can tune all of your shifts with the controller.

Yeah, I knew that, was just breaking it down for the other guys reading the post. The $4500 he quoted did not specify if that was with the controller or not. He was very bland on his repsonse...in fact, I am going to go read my email, be right back....

Re: A500 A 518 A618 #17770
10/14/05 09:51 PM
10/14/05 09:51 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Well, I just accidentally deleted his email. Anyways, it was @ $4500, but no mention of the controller, and he also quoted me a GV for @ $2500, which I do not know why since I did not ask about that Anyways, still no response from the other guys. I am really wanting to hear back from Turbo Challenger guy with the 4l80, Scott. I sent him 2 emails, because I tried calling him, but the number on the website was a fax line. Hopefully by Monday I can have some answer's to my questions....

Last edited by 71Challenger; 10/14/05 09:54 PM.
Re: A500 A 518 A618 #17771
10/15/05 12:27 PM
10/15/05 12:27 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Oh yeah, this was NOT for the 4L80 like I origianlly thought )Ok, got a MUCH better email from Don at transmissioncenter, LOT more detail, and sounds like a very well put together tranny. The bottoem half of this is in chart form, so did not coome out that well when I copied it and the pasted, but it is still readable ( on my part)Here is what he sent me:

The level 4 RAMZILLA transmission comes with three sets of Alto Red Eagle clutches and Kolene steels plus a direct clutch PowerPack, a 48RE overdrive clutch drum that holds 23 Raybestos performance overdrive direct clutches, high capacity extreme duty 5 clutch direct clutch drum as found in 48RE transmissions (6 clutches with the PowerPack), 6 overdrive clutches - - a 20 to 50% increase in apply area, 5 forward clutches which is 25% more clutch apply area than a 48RE, 24% more total clutch apply area than a 47RE transmission, all three 48RE 6 pinion planet gears, front, rear and overdrive, the .055" thicker 48RE sun gear shell, the one piece Sonnax 300M hard input shaft and hub, a Fairbanks TransAction Kit, performance 3-4 accumulator spring for a firmer shift into overdrive, high performance low / reverse servo, performance intermediate servo cover, a 5 to 1 intermediate band apply lever (4.2 gas) giving an extra 31% torque holding capacity in second gear on diesel models, rigid style Kevlar band and a heavy duty intermediate band strut. A special manual valve allows converter fluid charge in park. It has the stronger Mega Spring for overdrive direct clutch apply with more holding power in reverse, 1st, 2nd and 3rd. It comes complete with a deep finned cast aluminum pan that holds 2 extra quarts of fluid. The heavy duty / high performance torque converter that comes with this package deal can be ordered in stall speeds up to 5000 RPM for gas motors. The diesel transmission comes with our triple clutch billet converter with over 200% larger clutch apply area. This transmission is good for any type heavy duty / high performance use up to 800+ (gas) horse power using pump gasoline, towing, 4WD, high performance and others. The diesel version is good for over 1000 torque. The RAMZILLA transmission has 20 major performance upgrades. The best 48RE transmission on the planet can be yours without a trade-in for $4574.00 ($3774.00 with trade-in, see below), the gas 48RE transmission with a 10 inch billet lock-up torque converter or diesel 48RE transmission with a triple clutch billet converter. Gas or diesel, 2WD or 4WD. The freight runs from free to $40.00 after freight discount in most cases. Click on the pictures below to see the differences between the level 3 Mega Viper transmission and the level 4 Ramzilla transmission.

If you have a 48RE transmission to trade-in, in buildable condition you will receive a $800.00 trade-in credit less the freight to get it here.

Transmission Level 2 - Viper Level 3 - Mega Viper Level 4 - Ramzilla
All Red Eagle Clutches and Kolene Steels Yes Yes Yes with Raybestos Overdrive Direct
Extra Clutch in Direct Clutch Set (1 or 2) Yes Yes Yes
Kevlar Flex Band Yes --- ---
Rigid Style Kevlar Band --- Yes Yes
Fairbanks TransAction Kit Yes Yes Yes
Performance Low / Reverse Servo Yes Yes Yes
Heavy Duty Intermediate Band Strut Yes Yes Yes
Core Charge Included Yes Yes Yes
$110.00 Free Freight Deal Applies Yes Yes Yes
6 Clutch Direct Clutch Drum, 20% more clutch apply area than a 48RE, 50% more clutch apply area than a 47RE Extra Yes Yes
Performance 3-4 Accumulator Spring Extra Yes Yes
Performance Intermediate Servo Cover Extra Yes Yes
5 to 1 Intermediate Band Apply Lever on Diesel Models Extra Yes Yes
4.2 to 1 Intermediate Band Apply Lever on Gas Models Extra Yes Yes
Converter Fluid Charge in Park Yes Yes Yes
Mega Spring for Overdrive Direct Clutch Extra Yes Yes
Deep Finned Cast Aluminum Pan Extra Yes Yes
Performance Torque Converter, Gas Yes, #6D Gas Yes, #6D Gas ---
Billet 10 Inch Lock-Up Converter, Gas Extra Extra Yes, #6B
Triple Clutch Billet Torque Converter, Diesel Extra Yes, #8DXX Yes, #8DXX
Billet Lock-Up Torque Converter, Diesel Extra --- ---
Gas Horse Power Rating without Nitrous or Supercharger 500 700 with #6B Converter 800+ Gas, Over 1000 Torque on Diesel
All Three 48RE 6 Pinion Planet Gears --- --- Yes
48RE Sun Gear and Shell --- --- Yes
Sonnax 300M Hard Input Shaft --- --- Yes
48RE Overdrive Clutch Drum with 23 Raybestos Performance Overdrive Direct Clutches, 15% more clutch apply area than a 47RE --- --- Yes
6 Overdrive Clutches, 20% more clutch apply area than a 48RE --- --- Yes
5 Forward Clutches, 25% more clutch apply area than a 48RE --- --- Yes
24% more total clutch apply area than a 47RE transmission --- --- Yes
2003 Up 48RE Internal Parts, Gas or Diesel --- Some Yes

Last edited by 71Challenger; 10/15/05 12:29 PM.
Re: A500 A 518 A618 #17772
10/19/05 01:23 PM
10/19/05 01:23 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

OUCH!!! SMR wants $6204.99 for the A518. That is alot of $$$$$ my friends...

Re: A500 A 518 A618 #17773
10/19/05 01:35 PM
10/19/05 01:35 PM
Atco NJ
DJVCuda Offline
I Live Here
DJVCuda  Offline
I Live Here

Atco NJ
I went to the junkard - got one and ordered a converter and rebuild kit from them.. ohh and a shift kit... save yourself 5 grand and do it that way...

Re: A500 A 518 A618 [Re: DJVCuda] #17774
10/19/05 06:46 PM
10/19/05 06:46 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Yeah, but will a basic rebuild handle @ 900 HP? That is the problem that I am running into, is finding something that will handle that much power.

Re: A500 A 518 A618 #17775
10/19/05 07:36 PM
10/19/05 07:36 PM
Phoenix - surface of the sun
nomore65BelvJim Offline
I Live Here
nomore65BelvJim  Offline
I Live Here

Phoenix - surface of the sun
Quote:

Yeah, but will a basic rebuild handle @ 900 HP? That is the problem that I am running into, is finding something that will handle that much power.

build it like you'd build a 727 to handle 900 HP.

Re: A500 A 518 A618 [Re: nomore65BelvJim] #17776
10/20/05 08:25 AM
10/20/05 08:25 AM
Grand Haven, MI
patrick Offline
I Live Here
patrick  Offline
I Live Here

Grand Haven, MI
hate to break it to you, but ANYTHING to handle 900 HP is going to be spendy....I bet a 727 to handle that much power would be over $5k from most tranny builders. you might want to give John Cope at CRT a call and see what he can do for ya, too...

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3